Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the SC primary?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Willie Wilson
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mitt Romney posted:

From that ABC link: Youth vote down to 10-11%

This is because only old people vote early which is why the exit polls aren't at all trustworthy. r/s4p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I get being happy your candidate wins but the glee at lack of youth voting in a Dem primary is pretty weird

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

oystertoadfish posted:

if this low youth turnout story persists as we get more data, i wonder how much of that's because of staying home and how much is from choosing to vote in the gop primary

I suspect as more exit poll data comes in these numbers will move back towards normal but who knows.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't care which candidate wins, as long as we don't forget that we love and respect each other.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Goetta posted:

I get being happy your candidate wins but the glee at lack of youth voting in a Dem primary is pretty weird
And at hemorrhaging votes to Donald J Trump.

The IronMonkey
Aug 5, 2005

Goetta posted:

Hillary voters seem more interested in attacking other democrats than actually getting something done.

It'll make the Worst Thread entertaining during the general when they wonder why nobody supports their candidate.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Drowned Dog. posted:

Early onset dementia or Alzheimer's.(not trying to make a joke here or anything. I really think he has something going on neurologically)

:smith:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The IronMonkey posted:

Hillary voters seem more interested in attacking other democrats than actually getting something done.

It'll make the Worst Thread entertaining during the general when they wonder why nobody supports their candidate.

:lol:

Goetta posted:

I wouldn't call Hillary my candidate, I just can't stand a very large number of Sanders' supporters so it's fun to gently caress with them. Lower youth turnout is terrible, especially when one of the candidates is supposed to be mobilizing them but they aren't showing up.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Or, this indicates that the supposed young person revolution hasn't happened and Sanders isn't motivating the base any more than normal.

Low turnout in primaries means all sorts of things, but it doesn't correlate with low turnout in the general election. If youth votes are bad now, it doesn't mean they'll still be bad in November, it just means that Sanders message is falling flat in parts of the country.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Goetta posted:

Lack of youth voting in Dem primaries is what usually happens. The only glee I feel is watching the r/s4p morons melt down over it.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

oystertoadfish do you have the normal numbers for 18-30 turnout in the last few contested dem primaries?

The IronMonkey
Aug 5, 2005

fknlo posted:

:lol:

I wouldn't call Hillary my candidate, I just can't stand a very large number of Sanders' supporters so it's fun to gently caress with them. Lower youth turnout is terrible, especially when one of the candidates is supposed to be mobilizing them but they aren't showing up.

"I vote for badly defined spite! Wait, why does nobody vote for my candidate?"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
In 2008, the South Carolina 18-29 demographic was 14%. So it's down slightly.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Concerned Citizen posted:

I assumed 2008 would be higher. I wonder where this falls in line with 2004 and 2000.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

IF the exit polls are accurate (they probably aren't) then it's possible Clinton approaches a 40% margin.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mitt Romney posted:

IF the exit polls are accurate (they probably aren't) then it's possible Clinton approaches a 40% margin.

It's not improbable. If voters on racial lines voted exactly as they did in NV, we're looking at a 26 point margin. But these voters aren't exactly like NV - they are much friendlier to Clinton.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Schnorkles posted:

I assumed 2008 would be higher. I wonder where this falls in line with 2004 and 2000.

2004 was 9% 18-29.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Mitt Romney posted:

Please, please I want the general election to essentially start on Tuesday

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The IronMonkey posted:

"I vote for badly defined spite! Wait, why does nobody vote for my candidate?"

I plan on voting for Bernie in the primary but have known from the start I'd be voting for Hillary in the general, so, no. I just find a huge number of his supporters to be more insufferable than Ron Paul supporters.

It's weird how the candidate nobody supports or is voting for is going to win the primary though.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

2004 was 9% 18-29.

So 11-12% isn't that bad.

Youth turnout in primaries is always super low, we just have the 2008 outlier clouding our judgment typically.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

fknlo posted:

I plan on voting for Bernie in the primary but have known from the start I'd be voting for Hillary in the general, so, no. I just find a huge number of his supporters to be more insufferable than Ron Paul supporters.

It's weird how the candidate nobody supports or is voting for is going to win the primary though.

Browsing on here I don't see how his supporters are any worse than Hillary supporters. There are just more of them.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Feb 28, 2016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Schnorkles posted:

So 11-12% isn't that bad.

Youth turnout in primaries is always super low, we just have the 2008 outlier clouding our judgment typically.

It's not bad for SC, but certainly if you're the candidate relying on a surge of young voters you can't be too happy with the result.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's not bad for SC, but certainly if you're the candidate relying on a surge of young voters you can't be too happy with the result.

eeyup.

Gonna be an ugly night for the Bern.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It certainly doesn't help young voter turnout that everyone and their mother knows that the results won't be within 25 points. I'll be honest, if I was a Dem in SC I wouldn't have voted today. Yes I know, I'm part of the problem.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

oystertoadfish do you have the normal numbers for 18-30 turnout in the last few contested dem primaries?

the people who ended up answering your question are better for this stuff than i am

i guess all we can conclude is that there isn't a surge in youth voting over historical norms so large that it shows up incontrovertibly in high-margin of error preliminary exit polls

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Has youth turnout gone up in any of the four primary states?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Has youth turnout gone up in any of the four primary states?

Not in any way that demonstrates that Bernie's political revolution is real.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Youth will never care about primaries and mid-term elections.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see.

Just curious, what would you say the young voters would need to be able to go to the polls?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see.

Just curious, what would you say the young voters would need to be able to go to the polls?

No idea. I've been involved in Democratic Party politics and campaigns since the 90s and even in 2008 with a once in a generation candidate the vast majority of people under 30 just don't give enough of a poo poo to go vote.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

smg77 posted:

No idea. I've been involved in Democratic Party politics and campaigns since the 90s and even in 2008 with a once in a generation candidate the vast majority of people under 30 just don't give enough of a poo poo to go vote.

Also primaries are primaries. You can incite people to actually go vote in a general, but most dems and young dems hear bernie and hillary and go "Oh, yeah, they're both pretty cool I guess."

I have no idea what young republicans feel this year, possibly some amalgam of 'TRUMP! *click*' and something else.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Silver thinking near 40% is a possibility:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/703721435353710592

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Younger generations that don't vote inevitably grow up to be older generations that vote religiously. Bernie just neglected to mention that his political revolution will need another decade or two to cook.

Hopefully, the country is still is one piece by the time the boomers finally get pushed out of political power.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Guys I'm sad about tonight; cheer me up?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

GrimGypsy posted:

Sanders has just as good a chance of winning the democratic primary after tonight as he did before tonight!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

GrimGypsy posted:

A man with a combover teamed up with a obese governor to beat up a Floridian child with a dehydration problem

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

GrimGypsy posted:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GrimGypsy posted:

Bernie Sander's legacy in politics could still be getting left wing local level politicians inspired and actually starting a real revolution through bottom up strategies like near every other political revolution.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Basically he needs his audience to take from this 'well poo poo maybe I can change things in MY home at least' and not 'well poo poo, gently caress it all then'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Basically he needs his audience to take from this 'well poo poo maybe I can change things in MY home at least' and not 'well poo poo, gently caress it all then'.

man I have some bad news for you

• Locked thread