Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I know this thread is madly in love with the Winged Spear, which I'm taking for a spin now. How does the Dragonslayer Spear measure up? Is it totally insane to consider powerstancing that with the WS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jose posted:

how much agility do people normally get? trying a calculator it seems once I hit 99 it takes huge amounts of adaptability in order to get it to the next point for iFrames

also what are some good, strange, dex weapons. In other runs of DS 1/2 i've used katana's, ultra greatswords and great hammers. I got the channellers trident from trading the starting item. anything good powerstanced or 2h

95 AGI is OK for me, but there are definitely times where I would have wished I had 100+. If you don't intend to backstab fish, 95 is A-OK, but you do need to be kinda precise, and because of this it becomes difficult to punish, even ignoring backstabs. Higher AGI means you can roll earlier into your opponents swing, which usually allows you to attack out of the roll before the opponent can recover. It even catches up in PvE.

If you want the most comfortable experience, 105 is where it is at.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I mainly just want to some serious tweaks to covenants. I figured Dark Souls 2 would improve upon the issues of 1 but they kinda hosed that up and the end result was somehow worse. I can only hope that they get it right with 3.

This is a crazy opinion. What would you like? I'm genuinely curious.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

how much agility do people normally get? trying a calculator it seems once I hit 99 it takes huge amounts of adaptability in order to get it to the next point for iFrames

also what are some good, strange, dex weapons. In other runs of DS 1/2 i've used katana's, ultra greatswords and great hammers. I got the channellers trident from trading the starting item. anything good powerstanced or 2h

99 Agility asap is imperative for being able to enjoy the game, and 105 is optimal later when you've leveled up your other stats enough. As for DEX weapons, why not try spears?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jose posted:

get whatever you want, if you have trouble timing dodge rolls then get more but if you don't then don't worry about it

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jose posted:

IIRC 99 is the main breakpoint for more roll iframes, and 100 is the breakpoint for backstep iframes. You do get more roll iframes beyond that (not sure about backstep) but with reduced enough returns that it's arguably not worthwhile.

quote:

Drakewing Ultra Greatsword for a dex-scaling ultra greatsword with anime sword projectiles.

Key to the Embedded is a typical greatsword that scales well with dex. Reason I'm mentioning it is it's the only greatsword with a 150 counter bonus, so really good for that.

Old Whip for massive damage + cool whip moveset. Notched whip if you want something that's usable for an entire level (old whip breaks easily).

Pate's Spear has a cool moveset (mix of spear and lance stuff) while scaling well with dex.

Puzzling Stone Sword gets half of its damage from dex (maxed out w/40 dex it's ~150 base and ~150 from scaling) and has a really fun moveset. The whip-like moves are fantastic for attacking at a bit of a range or dealing w/groups.

Black flamestone dagger/Royal Dirk for what is essentially a mic between a straight sword and a dagger. Good DPS and very fast for their lengths, bad crits.

For powerstancing, curved sword is really good + fun, whip is good, spear is boring but effective, dagger is high DPS but poor at stunning. Worth noting is the Warped Sword (from flexile's soul). It has normal curved sword powerstance l1s, but a special spinny l2 that's pretty effective.

Probably the best dual-wield for dex related stuff is a spear in the left hand and a straight sword in the right (though straight swords are mostly quality/strength). Spear for poking at range/thrust damage/powerful counter hits, sword for close range r1 spam/hitting multiple enemies with a sweeping r2. Plus, you can powerstance them for the spear's double poke moves.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i want horizontal attacks because i like to not need to lock on and i'm bad at aiming a lot of the time and want good poise damage because I'm bad at avoiding stuff that isn't big if i don't stun it. Definitely after something relatively fast though after playing DS 1/2 and bloodborne with slow weapons the last few goes. Old whip and puzzling stone sword sound good

how good at the twinblades/scythes?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

i want horizontal attacks because i like to not need to lock on and i'm bad at aiming a lot of the time. Definitely after something relatively fast though after playing DS 1/2 and bloodborne with slow weapons the last few goes. Old whip and puzzling stone sword sound good

The Red Iron Twinblade is possibly the best weapon in the game (it's STR-based, however), but the rest of them are pretty dire. Same with scythes; like 2-3 are good and the rest are some of the worst weapons in the game.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Jose posted:

i want horizontal attacks because i like to not need to lock on and i'm bad at aiming a lot of the time and want good poise damage because I'm bad at avoiding stuff that isn't big if i don't stun it. Definitely after something relatively fast though after playing DS 1/2 and bloodborne with slow weapons the last few goes. Old whip and puzzling stone sword sound good

It was a fotm pick when ds2 first came out, but santiers spear had a really fun moveset as a hybrid between twin blades, halbreds, spears and I think curved swords. Damage is good too.

thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'm just gonna try a bunch of weapons. I have a Murakumo up to +9 now, my claymore at +10, grand lance at +10, and an arced blade at +3 (regret getting the arc blade though over the warped sword).

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 28, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just took a stab at the covenant of champions and heide's tower of flame is kicking my rear end. Is this covenant actually any fun because it just feels like my character is far too much of a 1hp trap.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
man there is absolutely no one to summon for the rotten. i can beat him, but he keeps killing lucatiel before I kill him.

i guess i don't blame them, gutter fuckin sucks.

edit: seconds later 4 signs show up. maybe my connection is whats hosed.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Alabaster White posted:

The Red Iron Twinblade is possibly the best weapon in the game (it's STR-based, however), but the rest of them are pretty dire. Same with scythes; like 2-3 are good and the rest are some of the worst weapons in the game.
Me and a few friends tried the Twinblade only challenge (self-imposed) a while back, it's...okay. I would say Scythes are with certain exceptions way worse; provided you have a cultivated understanding of enemy movesets and a Stone Ring, you can actually kill poo poo with Twinblades reliably, and it IS pretty fun pulling off the full combo. I'd recommend trying it out a bit, don't expect wonders, but it's like anti-Whips: something completely different, and no range but semi-high damage instead of mediocre damage but great zoning.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
just wrecked this one guy in dark souls 2 with taking only one hit as jetstream sam, he was some kind of flame spellblade with armor, but he wasn't expecting stone ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfwteoZCvoY

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

double nine posted:

I just took a stab at the covenant of champions and heide's tower of flame is kicking my rear end. Is this covenant actually any fun because it just feels like my character is far too much of a 1hp trap.

CoC is fun if you enjoy even greater challenge than normal and have no desire to do any kind of co-op (not even with NPC phantoms like lucatiel). if you aren't down for all monsters basically being NG+ while on your NG playthrough, and you don't enjoy being invaded even more often, then there's no real reason to stay in it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

double nine posted:

it gives a ring that makes fisticuffs more fun but the covenant itself is just isolated hard mode

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

argondamn posted:

This is a crazy opinion. What would you like? I'm genuinely curious.

Are you saying that covenants were handled well in Dark Souls 2? I didn't think my opinion was controversial at all. I would have liked to see the Blue Sentinels and Way of the Blue combined into one covenant for instance, just more uniqueness and variety to the covenants in general. I think they should have given you a non-cracked Red Eye Orb pretty much right in the beginning. Many of the covenants were pointless and/or didn't give rewards that were even remotely close to being worth what you have to do to get them. My favorite ended up being the most simple: Bellbros.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Has anyone really looked at the Blacksteel Katana and its applications for PvP? The 2HR2 might seem like it's slow, but its delay is massively shortened if you do it immediately after a rolling attack or a 2HR1.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Has anyone really looked at the Blacksteel Katana and its applications for PvP? The 2HR2 might seem like it's slow, but its delay is massively shortened if you do it immediately after a rolling attack or a 2HR1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6BD43pyiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5S8pdDlhGo

no

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Getting backstabbed multiple times from the front, or while mid-roll, is among the highest bullshit.

I cannot stop getting loving murdered by this one person in the Arena who seems to have lag on his favour 100% of the time. Why is the Brotherhood of Blood such a loving miserable slog to advance in?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Filthy Hans posted:

Oh my god, I never knew the point of the Agape Ring until I read this post and checked out YouTube. I"m definitely going to reroll Creighton now, he'll make a fantastic twink.

edit: the absolute best thing about Agape Ring youtubes is the horde of ignorant morons who don't understand the word Agape is of ancient Greek origin and bitch about the pronunciation in the comments

Farm your weapons on another character and get a friend to help you name engraved them down to your twink. Because what's the point of sticking around for low level PVP if you can't hand yourself a bunch of infused +10 weapons. Lets you invest more in your stats and maybe get to use a decent weapon AND have a few adaptability for your rolling.

Oh, last? Bonfire ascetic shaded woods twice to get the +3 spell attunement ring. Then hand yourself a +10 pyromancy flame and go farm up a warmth and a lingering flame to slot. You can have a healing spell and a damage spell that will do absurd damage to lowbies on a character with zero investment in int/faith/attunement.

:Edit:

The "Oh, last" part might be wrong because I'm not playing Scholar and everyone these days probably is.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
been slogging through amana and now undead crypt. probably 3 or 4 hours total so far, not one single summon sign since drangleic. it's lonely in the dark.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I can't grab my own screenshots right now since I recently had to replace my computer and haven't reinstalled DS2 yet so google will have to suffice.

It's that tower in the back, this is the run up straight ahead from McDuff's place.

This is the place from the Pursuer side with the precise door that is blocked by barrels and crates. To the left is that previously pictured run up so there's lots of angles to get to shoot one of the gunpowder barrels and blow up the junk

And I forgot about this part, which is a shame. I think you can get to a fair bit of stuff on that side still though but it's been awhile since I've run around in there to remember. Still, it's a neat trick that a lot of people never notice.

Awesome, thanks. I've had that open for a while now, turns out the bit I was missing was the building full of swordsmen, with the entrance blocked by a petrified dude. I can see why so many people were having trouble dealing with the horde of guys inside, but there are plenty of chokepoints there and I have an estoc and lots of stamina :getin:

I had a good few tries at the ruin sentinels, I always nail the first guy cleanly but the other two killed me pretty efficiently without someone to distract one. Then some guy with a mail breaker and dagger invaded me, got a guard break in and took out my entire health bar while I was stunned. I've more or less accepted that I'm terrible at pvp but at least I got him down to about half health.

One of the swordsmen dropped the royal greatsword - the moveset is pretty nice with lateral slashes on light attack and a thrust on strong. Are there more swords like this? Most of the other slashing weapons I've tried have very diagonal cuts or do weird poo poo like bang into the ground on every strike (Heide and Dragleic swords, am I supposed to roll a taller character or something?)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

One of the swordsmen dropped the royal greatsword - the moveset is pretty nice with lateral slashes on light attack and a thrust on strong. Are there more swords like this? Most of the other slashing weapons I've tried have very diagonal cuts or do weird poo poo like bang into the ground on every strike (Heide and Dragleic swords, am I supposed to roll a taller character or something?)

Half of all greatswords share that particular moveset. Another majority have the Drangleic sword moveset and then there's unique weirdos.

The ground impacts (that are present in a whole lotta movesets! I know, it bothers me too) are completely decorative and don't affect anything, besides your enjoyment of the game.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

homeless poster posted:

CoC is fun if you enjoy even greater challenge than normal and have no desire to do any kind of co-op (not even with NPC phantoms like lucatiel). if you aren't down for all monsters basically being NG+ while on your NG playthrough, and you don't enjoy being invaded even more often, then there's no real reason to stay in it

It's a way around the farming prevention feature. In the CoC monsters will respawn forever, making it possible to get those loving HEIDE KNIGHT PANTS YOU'VE BEEN GRINDING FOR TWO DAYS :argh:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
It took about 15 tries, but I finally beat the Fume Knight. What a great fight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

It took about 15 tries, but I finally beat the Fume Knight. What a great fight.

Fume Knight is a certified badass and it was an honour to fight him

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want to do a gimmick run as either Goatman Kirk or Dunksman Barkley and I can’t work out what either of them would be.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want to do a gimmick run as either Goatman Kirk or Dunksman Barkley and I can’t work out what either of them would be.
First one is pretty tough as you can only wear one ring

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Getting backstabbed multiple times from the front, or while mid-roll, is among the highest bullshit.

I cannot stop getting loving murdered by this one person in the Arena who seems to have lag on his favour 100% of the time. Why is the Brotherhood of Blood such a loving miserable slog to advance in?

If he's backstabbing you out of rolls consistently then it's not "lag on his side" (probably), it's that he knows how to backstab. This is why most prefer backstepping as it does not open you up to backstab.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Jose posted:

I don't quite know what you mean by strange, but the puzzling stone sword fits the description of "weird dex weapon" to a T. And it's pretty good. The two-handed thrusts are as close as you get to the DS2 holy grail in utility and the whip moves give you great range and versatility on top of that. The damage output can be dissapointingly low, though.

In the same DLC you can get the drakeblood greatsword, which has a nice moveset, has incredibly low stamina cost and does disgustingly high damage with the right rings. And it looks flat out amazing, possibly only less fashionable than the Loyce Greatsword or the Fume Sword. It's a wonderful choice if you want a fast, versatile moveset that can gently caress up bosses at near rapier speed and just drop a motherfucker in one hit with 2h counter R2s.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Genocyber posted:

If he's backstabbing you out of rolls consistently then it's not "lag on his side" (probably), it's that he knows how to backstab. This is why most prefer backstepping as it does not open you up to backstab.

I'd be on the tail end of my dodge roll just as the backstab started; I'd be a good 3 or 4 meters away and suddenly snap back into a stab. It was so bad I started wearing the backstab protection ring whenever he showed up.

His parries were also loving frighteningly on point, every single time, while mine were always too late or too early, and no matter how much I tried, I could not land a guard break, or drain his block stamina. Is the Watcher's Shield just that good? There's no way a small shield should be allowed to get hammered with 6 - 7 Warped Sword slashes and stay stable.

I just gave up eventually. I just didn't have the tools to deal with someone so fast and so laggy.

E: Backstepping is only slightly less unpredictable than parrying online. Every time I try it I eat an attack that's a good meter longer than its hitbox on my screen. You must be hooked directly up to the From datacentre if that ever works.

So of course on my way out of the Purgatory I accidentally roll off a bridge then get invaded and killed on my way back to retrieve my Souls. The only unfair thing about this game are the players.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 29, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Watcher's Shield has one of the highest physical block percentages of the light shields, and the second-highest Stability. My guess is that you were just acting too predictably, and he took advantage of that. It's easy to set up parries if you can backstep and your opponent never stables their swings (or if you setup parry with a block), or if they keep trying to repeat moves like doing running attacks or rolling attacks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, them parrying you consistently suggests they just know what they're doing with regards to PVP. Your fights with them may have a bit of extra lag that makes the roll-punishing backstabs looks weirder, but what's causing them is you rolling poorly and them knowing how to exploit that. Again, that's why the backstep is so favored in PVP; as you never face away it doesn't open you up to backstabs like this, in addition to being quicker, allowing you to do a setup parry (backstep through one attack, parry the next one that the opponent will surely do since people like to spam even without hit confirming), or followup with the backstep attack which is usually quick enough for weapons to be a guaranteed hit.

Watcher's Shield's stability isn't amazing, but it is especially high for a small shield, and the Warped sword is a curved sword, and thus does not do all that much stamina damage.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Vermain posted:

Watcher's Shield has one of the highest physical block percentages of the light shields, and the second-highest Stability. My guess is that you were just acting too predictably, and he took advantage of that. It's easy to set up parries if you can backstep and your opponent never stables their swings (or if you setup parry with a block), or if they keep trying to repeat moves like doing running attacks or rolling attacks.

I really had no choice. He was so fast I would get backstabbed while recovering from a missed rapier poke. Warped Sword had the tracking to keep up but holy gently caress, how do I deal with someone who is always 250ms ahead of me?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I really had no choice. He was so fast I would get backstabbed while recovering from a missed rapier poke. Warped Sword had the tracking to keep up but holy gently caress, how do I deal with someone who is always 250ms ahead of me?

Git gud. No really, it very much sounds like a situation where he knew what he was doing and you didn't. Which means the only way for you to do better is to be better, more knowledgeable, so you know how to react. Like, unless the other guy is actively utilizing a lag switch, extra latency is not going to innately help him, or you, for that matter. It'll give the edge to whoever can adapt to it better.

For players that like to parry you need to actively bait out their parry attempts. Rushing up, as if to do an attack, then guardbreaking (which will stun and allow for a followup attack if you have a quick enough weapon), or backstepping then attacking, or just delaying yourself a bit then attack to throw off their parry timing.

Again, for avoiding roll-punishing backstabs, the best way is to learn backstep dodge timing and when you can do it (it's not effective close range for some of the longer lasting attacks like ultra greatsword r1s) since it doesn't open you up to backstabs like rolling does.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Git gud. No really, it very much sounds like a situation where he knew what he was doing and you didn't. Which means the only way for you to do better is to be better, more knowledgeable, so you know how to react. Like, unless the other guy is actively utilizing a lag switch, extra latency is not going to innately help him, or you, for that matter. It'll give the edge to whoever can adapt to it better.

For players that like to parry you need to actively bait out their parry attempts. Rushing up, as if to do an attack, then guardbreaking (which will stun and allow for a followup attack if you have a quick enough weapon), or backstepping then attacking, or just delaying yourself a bit then attack to throw off their parry timing.

Again, for avoiding roll-punishing backstabs, the best way is to learn backstep dodge timing and when you can do it (it's not effective close range for some of the longer lasting attacks like ultra greatsword r1s) since it doesn't open you up to backstabs like rolling does.

I'm not going to argue that this wasn't a way better player, but it's really frustrating to go 10 rounds with someone and get clowned on by some autist who knows the exact frame to punish a side roll because he's fast enough to fish for a backstab by ramming himself against me and holding down a direction with his shield up.

Also I have no idea how you do guard breaks with any consistency. I practiced that poo poo for an hour and still can't reliably do it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I'm not going to argue that this wasn't a way better player, but it's really frustrating to go 10 rounds with someone and get clowned on by some autist who knows the exact frame to punish a side roll because he's fast enough to fish for a backstab by ramming himself against me and holding down a direction with his shield up.

Also I have no idea how you do guard breaks with any consistency. I practiced that poo poo for an hour and still can't reliably do it.

If you can't do them reliably as in the input is not reliable, it's probably an issue with w/e controller you're using. IIRC that's a fairly common issue.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

if you're fighting someone who is lagging like that and always seems to be looking 45 degrees off of your character but isn't jumping around, and he's fishing for a backstab, just sprint behind him and backstab him because the lag that helped him is going to help you too, and you're not restrained by reacting.

As someone who "got gud" at pvp those fights are still a pile of bullshit though

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Feel free to offer advice on how to get those because I would love to know how to backstab someone while they're mid-roll.

Also to consistantly guard break.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
guard breaking/kicking is something i really wish had its own button