Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

^ and my point is that that's what you'd have to do to change screen brightness if you had no quick toggles at all.

Looks fine to me. How does requiring another swipe (something very natural to do) "point users towards bad behavior" even less?

And I still say that it's certainly not 'bad behavior' to toggle poo poo you do and don't want. It's part of what makes Android so powerful and such a great mobile OS! The ability to customize and tell the phone to do what you want it to do, instead of having Steve Jobs tell you how to use your phone from beyond the grave! If somebody wants to turn off NFC or GPS, why do you care? Why is that bad?

It's not worse, or better, just different. It takes up no real extra screen estate, too, and if that quarter inch actually impacts you in a meaningful way then you have too many notifications. Clear those fuckers out.

Users obsessively janitoring stuff like WiFi and Location Settings results in them having a worse experience, which as an Android evangelist is bad to me. The OS silently uses all this stuff in concert to provide a best-in-class experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Smythe posted:

You're confused. I'm saying that notification panes that have this horse poo poo on them:

is bad. It's useless, points users towards bad behavior, and is ugly.

There is no case for when what I posted above is better than bog-standard stock Android. The OEM adding this software makes the phone worse.

Nah, might not be the best, but it works fine for me. I'm making the best of the negative parts of Touchwiz because I have to use a Samsung device because of work and I'm not gonna be a whiny bitch about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Most people, most of the time, should not be toggling most of the things.

It's good for Android to provide the ability to toggle such things.

It is not good from a UI/UX perspective to put those things almost front and center to encourage people to use them and to expect them. The fact that such toggles take up notification space is a secondary issue.

It's not like it makes the phone unusable..or even impacts our experience much at all on a day to day basis, and those of us (well most of us) who recognize the UI/UX problems don't sit around looking at our Samsung phones in disgust, but it is indicative of bad design.

If you disagree, you're literally a bad person.

Can we stop posting about this now?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Smythe posted:

which as an Android evangelist

:allears:

Okay I cannot continue this discussion without saying some really rude things so I guess I'm bowing out. Later.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

:allears:

Okay I cannot continue this discussion without saying some really rude things so I guess I'm bowing out. Later.

Cool post.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Grumpwagon posted:

I want to acknowledge that at least for me this is mostly true. The differences between, say, that picture of the G2's out of box notification screen is way different than say, this:

That's a big improvement, but as for "So what is there, really, to complain about in TouchWiz?" I think I mentioned in my first post at least 2 reasons.

1) Having Quick Toggles visible on the second most important screen of Android suggests to a user that they should be used. This is what leads people to toggle WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth. One of the most important principles of design is that you should subtly suggest to a user how a device should be used. Toggling stuff like that on and off is very much a thing normal Android users have been trained to do by having the settings so readily available (I'm basing this on people coming in to the thread who aren't regulars, and the user testing I've done at work). The notification screen space is among the most valuable resources on the phone now since you can perform actions on notifications. Having 1/4 of that taken up rather than 1/2 is a huge step forward, but less is still better.

My only point about all this is, after a long time of being in the woods on this, I believe Android finally understands good design. I think every change that Samsung makes to go away from good design (I'm sure there are changes they make that are just as well designed or better, I just can't think of any at the moment) are bad on their face, and they make it harder to update.

Which brings us to:

2) With monthly security updates being a thing now, updates should matter, even to normal users. I'm not suggesting normal users should know about and demand their monthly security updates, I'm suggesting vendors should care about user data and experience enough to make that a priority. Samsung clearly doesn't. You could argue that Google doesn't either, since they hoover in as much user data as possible, but I'd suggest that is wrong. They jealously secure their user data, since that's their real purpose behind the Android project.

I know that these two things are likely never coming up when normal people use Android. I completely acknowledge that noticing and valuing these things makes people in this thread spergy or turbo nerds or whatever. I reject on it's face the suggestion that these things don't matter to normal users, even if they don't consciously think about them ever. Security and good design are important on a device people use constantly and where they store their life, and should be called out when deficient.

Does this mean everyone who buys a Samsung device is a moron like some people in the thread say? No, life is full of tradeoffs. After writing two huge effort posts about this, I should disclose that my daily driver is an LG G2, and I like it. I bought it knowing the downsides (I won't go back into that whole decision, read back my history in this thread if you really care about it for some reason). However, does this mean that everyone who brings up problems with TouchWiz is a moron? No, of course not, for the reasons discussed above and others.

It looks like your issue with the toggles isn't the fact that they exist but what they are. Although there are legitimate situations where you might want to toggle wifi or Bluetooth on or off it's true that they're not something you should be toggling constantly. The toggles are customizable though and having a quick way to toggle things like power saving, private mode, the flashlight or do not disturb is convenient, they also serve as direct shortcuts to various settings. I think the idea that the presence of this toggles is "bad design" or indicative of a lack of care for the user experience is inaccurate. It's a different way of doing things than stock Android, but it's not objectively better or worse.

Your concern with device security certainly is valid, and something users should definitely care about. However your opinion that these custom UI are making the phones less secure and harder to update isn't quite correct. Samsung and Motorola have been keeping up with their monthly security updates regardless of their changes to the OS. Your issue regarding security is an issue with the carriers, not the OEM. As anyone who's owned a carrier branded Nexus can tell you, it doesn't matter how quick the updates are released or how pristine your version of Android is, it doesn't mean poo poo if your carrier won't release the update for your phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

I think the idea that the presence of this toggles is "bad design" or indicative of a lack of care for the user experience is inaccurate.

And which toggles come shown as default?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I don't like my iPhone 5S anymore because its slow and bad now. I'm worried that the 6 series of Apple phones will be slow and bad in a year like the 5 series is now. Do I want a Nexus 6P or 5X or a Samsung S7 right now?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Keg posted:

I don't like my iPhone 5S anymore because its slow and bad now. I'm worried that the 6 series of Apple phones will be slow and bad in a year like the 5 series is now. Do I want a Nexus 6P or 5X or a Samsung S7 right now?

Android phones will likely be even worse.

If you still want an Android phone, 6P or S7 will be the best for "not slow and bad in a year".

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Skarsnik posted:

My first thought when I saw your post was 'holy poo poo you consider £44 a month for your phone a great deal??'

Have you done the maths on how much you'd be paying for that s7 over the 2 years?

It's a great deal when that tariff gives you 10GB mobile data, and the upfront cost for a brand new flagship is £29 instead of the usual £189.99. Compare that to the other flagship phones when they come out. I also get 20% discount due to my employer, so it's £35.20 a month for unlimited minutes and texts, on top of the 10GB mobile data. Even without the discount, it beats the cost everyone else is charging for the phone and a similar tariff.

Rastor posted:

The official Samsung wireless charging pad may be the best choice, now that they have an angled one.

Your regular micro-USB cables should be fine for fast charging.

Cheers. Would the Tylt charger charge the battery at whatever is consider Fast for wireless?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

LastInLine posted:

As Grumpwagon accurately said, the fact that the toggles are there at all is encouragement to use them and the fact is you shouldn't be using them.

This, but about power buttons.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Desk Lamp posted:

Your opinion that these custom UI are making the phones less secure and harder to update isn't quite correct. Samsung and Motorola have been keeping up with their monthly security updates regardless of their changes to the OS.
For how long? My Nexus 5 (from 2013) has 6.0.1 and the February security patch. The S5 (from 2014) doesn't even have 6.0. Samsung phones get fewer updates and get them late. Chairman Lee needs to burn another pile of phones.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

And which toggles come shown as default?

You can make the argument that the defaults are not the best, that doesn't invalidate the entire concept of the toggles though. Little issues like that are peppered all over Android regardless of manufacturer.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just get the S7.

datajosh posted:

Since you're coming from a S4, I'd lean towards the regular S7, but you can try them both out at Best Buy to get a better idea before you pre-order.

vyst posted:

If your hands are even relatively tiny, you'll probably be happier with the Galaxy S7.

Thanks for the tiny-hand-centric advice, y'all. I do already have some external battery packs I already take around with me when I think battery life will be an issue. I'll stick with the vanilla S7 like you said and put the savings to look at replacing my various generic chargers at home and work with ones that are Fast Charge / Quick Charge compatible, in order to better take advantage of the phone's features.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

You can make the argument that the defaults are not the best, that doesn't invalidate the entire concept of the toggles though. Little issues like that are peppered all over Android regardless of manufacturer.

I'm not going to go back and read every thing said about them, but my impression is that the main argument has been that quick toggles encourage people to be toggling thing that they don't need to toggle, not that toggles are bad.

At the very least, I certainly wouldn't argue that the idea of toggles are bad.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Standard update policy appears to be:

Apple: Continue providing security and feature updates as long as devices can handle them - as is clear with the iPhone 4 this may continue longer than it should but as long as it's not falling over itself better over than under.

Nexus: Monthly feature updates to 2 years from initial release-to-market; monthly security updates for a third year and to 18 months past final exhaustion from the Google Store. This is an official policy, and Google has maintained the security part (more or less) even when carriers operate in poor faith.

Samsung and LG have publicly committed to monthly security patches, but only to flagship devices and with no guarantee of support time (or even what makes a device a flagship). They don't seem to have committed to anything about major point/API updates.

Motorola seems to be supporting major devices with major updates for a minimum of 18 months. Unless the carrier whines at all. Or they just don't feel like it. Or it's just security stuff.

Sony appears okay if they issue what they call a Concept program for it. If.

Who even knows with Asus/Huawei/nVidia/whoever, and if you get a free Android with your plan expect it to stay the way it is forever (in other words, free is too much to pay for it).

What's real disappointing is that it seems like no one but Google cares about subpoint releases (5.1 -> 5.1.1; 6.0 -> 6.0.1; etc.).

And any which way Android TV is hideously neglected and TV manufacturers are probably even bigger jerks than ATV device manufacturers.

If you intend to do Android, you will probably intensely regret not going late-model Nexus.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 28, 2016

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Endless Mike posted:

Smythe did you consider that maybe he has a physical issue making downward swipes extremely difficult so removing a second one is a great convenience? Please be kind to the handicapped.

You don't have to swipe anyway, double tap to open notifications, tap again for toggles.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Keg posted:

If you can handle its size, get the Nexus 6P. If you can't, get the Samsung S7.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Keg posted:

Uninstall Facebook.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Uninstall Facebook.

New thread title.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Keg posted:

Your 5S should not be slow by any stretch of the imagination. Restore it to factory settings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

New thread title.

I feel like that doesn't capture the quick toggle angst nearly enough.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He wouldn't be having this problem if there were a quick toggle for the Facebook app.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Man I miss Grimbo

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Quick toggles are one area where I think Apple has the right idea. Tying quick settings to the notification panel is stupid regardless of how it's done because they're separate goals that have nothing to do with each other. If I want to check my notifications I don't need access to toggles, and on the rare occasion I need to change a setting I don't need notifications getting in the way. Combining them at all is asinine, and Google and Samsung's approaches are just different versions of the same bad idea.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

sethsez posted:

Quick toggles are one area where I think Apple has the right idea. Tying quick settings to the notification panel is stupid regardless of how it's done because they're separate goals that have nothing to do with each other. If I want to check my notifications I don't need access to toggles, and on the rare occasion I need to change a setting I don't need notifications getting in the way. Combining them at all is asinine, and Google and Samsung's approaches are just different versions of the same bad idea.

I agree with this post. The Control Center is my favorite part of iOS, and the only thing I miss about it. especially the whatever music/podcast/audio shows up with a timestamp in the control center and on the lock screen part.

I think the toggles are fine the way they are but if we're talking ideals, they do it the best.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Galaxy S7 edge: is the screen worth while? Or is it a stupid gimmick?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Lowen SoDium posted:

it is only 'worthwhile' if you think it looks cool. the shortcuts and news reel and other minimally-convenient shortcuts are very much secondary to the wow effect of the curve.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm eyeballing the Edge mainly because of the much larger battery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BottleKnight posted:

I agree with this post. The Control Center is my favorite part of iOS, and the only thing I miss about it. especially the whatever music/podcast/audio shows up with a timestamp in the control center and on the lock screen part.

I think the toggles are fine the way they are but if we're talking ideals, they do it the best.

I almost mentioned this when Daily Forecast was linking the iPhone thread for people who understand that toggles are unnecessary because iOS actually puts toggles into a dedicated area which is universally accessible. It's almost like that would fit his needless janitoring obsession far better but I digress.

What I will say is that I've found the Control Center in iOS to be an especially useless thing. Why are there playback controls always exposed? Why are there toggles I'll never need? Why is it in such a prominent location? Well, I guess that last reason is because they don't have context-sensitive actionable notifications that are as easily accessible for playback controls but it still seems oddly front and center.

The thing about that panel is that there are things that need to accessed easily and Android has wrestled with it since Froyo and they still aren't great at it. First there were the third party skins that added the toggles in the notification pane which is how they got there in TouchWiz, then there was the Quick Settings Panel which was just weird and never really fully developed (proven in the way that CM and other mods made it so much better so easily such as making it "the other side" of the notification shade), and now we have the pull down twice thing and it still isn't great. There still needs to be a place where flashlight controls, DND, airplane mode and things like that need to live and I think sethsez is right that fundamentally the notification area should not be where toggles are.

I have a tough time putting into context where those things live now--are they in a shade of their own that's behind the notification shade? Unlike Control Center, I just don't feel like those things are in a proper home so I guess I'm agreeing with you and sethsez in that, yes, something like the Control Center makes logical sense to have and where they are now in Android just feels wrong but I'm not a fan of the actual implementation on iOS either. I think I'd say that it's very much a universally unsolved problem and I can see positives and negatives to everyone's way of handling it.

This post is already too long but it occurs to me that the reason it's so difficult to do right is that there's no other natural attribute that ties all of the stuff you'd want to toggle except that they're stuff you'd want to toggle. I mean there's nothing else about the flashlight, DND, airplane mode, or auto-rotation that makes them in any way like any of the others.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BottleKnight posted:

it is only 'worthwhile' if you think it looks cool. the shortcuts and news reel and other minimally-convenient shortcuts are very much secondary to the wow effect of the curve.

Let me rephrase a bit. Does the screen curve interfere with anything?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

LastInLine posted:

I almost mentioned this when Daily Forecast was linking the iPhone thread for people who understand that toggles are unnecessary because iOS actually puts toggles into a dedicated area which is universally accessible. It's almost like that would fit his needless janitoring obsession far better but I digress.

What I will say is that I've found the Control Center in iOS to be an especially useless thing. Why are there playback controls always exposed? Why are there toggles I'll never need? Why is it in such a prominent location? Well, I guess that last reason is because they don't have context-sensitive actionable notifications that are as easily accessible for playback controls but it still seems oddly front and center.

The thing about that panel is that there are things that need to accessed easily and Android has wrestled with it since Froyo and they still aren't great at it. First there were the third party skins that added the toggles in the notification pane which is how they got there in TouchWiz, then there was the Quick Settings Panel which was just weird and never really fully developed (proven in the way that CM and other mods made it so much better so easily such as making it "the other side" of the notification shade), and now we have the pull down twice thing and it still isn't great. There still needs to be a place where flashlight controls, DND, airplane mode and things like that need to live and I think sethsez is right that fundamentally the notification area should not be where toggles are.

I have a tough time putting into context where those things live now--are they in a shade of their own that's behind the notification shade? Unlike Control Center, I just don't feel like those things are in a proper home so I guess I'm agreeing with you and sethsez in that, yes, something like the Control Center makes logical sense to have and where they are now in Android just feels wrong but I'm not a fan of the actual implementation on iOS either. I think I'd say that it's very much a universally unsolved problem and I can see positives and negatives to everyone's way of handling it.

This post is already too long but it occurs to me that the reason it's so difficult to do right is that there's no other natural attribute that ties all of the stuff you'd want to toggle except that they're stuff you'd want to toggle. I mean there's nothing else about the flashlight, DND, airplane mode, or auto-rotation that makes them in any way like any of the others.

I should clarify that I don't like the actual design of Control Center and think it definitely has its own issues, but accessing it is absolutely superior to Android or TouchWiz. Full disclosure, I like Samsung's current approach more than Google's, but I think they're both attempts to pound a square peg into a round hole and arguing about which is better misses the fact that both of their issues are caused by trying to mitigate the same misguided core design choice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Too many things fly in from sides in iOS. It's worse than Windows 8 ever was with the magic corners now.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Double chop to toggle flashlight. Triple chop to toggle GPS. Spin phone on index finger to toggle wifi. Etc. Etc. No need for on-screen toggles. :v:

But seriously, I've yet to have a chance to really play with a modern Android phone using the latest OS, but I always thought that the notification pane showed your 4 or 5 most used toggles that you could customize and the rest were hidden in the expanded pane that was reached by pulling further/double-finger swiping. I personally always thought that was a cool idea, giving me the option to choose which ones I want to use (wifi toggle, flashlight, orientation lock) and stashing away the rest. Turns out it's not like that??

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I think the notification shade is the most logical place for those toggles, whether it's the Nexus or OEM approach. They're always available so for example you're browsing and want to see a picture in landscape you can quickly toggle screen rotation on or off without leaving whatever app you're on. I can't imagine where else you could place it where it would be as convenient and accessible.

quote:

But seriously, I've yet to have a chance to really play with a modern Android phone using the latest OS, but I always thought that the notification pane showed your 4 or 5 most used toggles that you could customize and the rest were hidden in the expanded pane that was reached by pulling further/double-finger swiping. I personally always thought that was a cool idea, giving me the option to choose which ones I want to use (wifi toggle, flashlight, orientation lock) and stashing away the rest. Turns out it's not like that??

That's how it is on Samsung phones, on Nexus phones they're all hidden behind a double swipe down.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 29, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sethsez posted:

I should clarify that I don't like the actual design of Control Center and think it definitely has its own issues, but accessing it is absolutely superior to Android or TouchWiz. Full disclosure, I like Samsung's current approach more than Google's, but I think they're both attempts to pound a square peg into a round hole and arguing about which is better misses the fact that both of their issues are caused by trying to mitigate the same misguided core design choice.

I can agree with this except to ask that were it not for the fact that playback controls are there, would you hold the same opinion?

To my mind, I'd say that the current Android implementation of playback controls being located in a persistent ongoing notification to be more logical than locating them in a hypothetical Android Control Center given the notification-centric UX Android encourages. Given that iOS isn't built around that same core and background audio would need a place to "live", the Control Center makes for a logical and accessible home for such and as it must exist for that purpose, those other sundry toggles can just as easily fall to that location without protest. I feel like though Android doesn't have that same real need for a playback control place and without that, the rest of the toggles are too seldom used to justify such a front and center place on the phone.

broken clock opsec posted:

Too many things fly in from sides in iOS. It's worse than Windows 8 ever was with the magic corners now.

Amen brother.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Lowen SoDium posted:

I went with the Edge entirely due to the bigger battery. I can't imagine the edge makes any difference after the first ten minutes of unboxing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I honestly can't imagine anyone who's used an android phone that considers the iOS notification pane good in any way. It's terrible in every way. The control centre is better but is filled with useless things that clutter it up for no reason. Both are the worst parts of the OS, right next to the illogical and scattered approach it takes to settings.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

nerdrum posted:

I went with the Edge entirely due to the bigger battery. I can't imagine the edge makes any difference after the first ten minutes of unboxing.

As an S6 Edge owner that purchased it at launch I can say the only reason I bought it was because it looks cooler than the normal S6. Sure, they tried to sell me on the advantages of the edge notification crap, but I never use those ever as they're terrible. It just looks cool. Also, I like that when the phone is face down and I get a text from someone in my favorites thing the side glows whatever color tab they are on. It's definitely a gimmick, but I like it. With the S7 edge being 5.5" now Im not sure I will upgrade to that one, but we'll see when its available and I hold one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Rastor posted:

If you can handle its size, get the Nexus 6P. If you can't, get the Samsung S7.

Is there someone I can touch a 6P in store? I played with the S7 at Best Buy and it's real nice, but a Nexus phone is always more appealing to me. I'm just not sure I'm ready for such a gigantic phone.