Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Washout posted:

If that were true the Executioner would already be the best assault, and it's terrible. It could very well turn out poo poo.

Pattonesque posted:

Not having any locked equipment on the Kodiak is going to go a long way

Washout posted:

Yeah good point, the KDK-3 is going to be able to mount 4AC-5 and 4 med pulse (or whatever variation), and the spirit bear will be able to take the atlas load out while going 90kph. All comes down to hitboxes and hardpoint locations in the end I suppose.

With six variants, the lack of ability to customize hardpoints via omnipods is going to be somewhat mitigated. Dire Wolves already have no structure quirks, so the Kodiak can't really be worse at soaking fire, and between possessing a humanoid torso and having the ability to operate at reasonable speeds (every Kodiak comes with a clan 400XL stock) it can actually torso twist to spread damage and reposition at something slightly faster than a glacial pace. When the bar to pass is "is this worse than the Dire Wolf", it realistically can't fail on that metric.

The real trick is going to be the fact that basically every Kodiak is going to be a 3+ fire group mech and run hot as balls. Even with MASC, the Spirit Bear has more tonnage and crit slots than the angry dad with essentially the same loadout meaning it'll probably also mount a pair of LPLs because why the gently caress not. Or, for maximum stupid, you'll see pubbies running with a gauss, 2xERPPCs, and 4 LRM 15s which, while a tremendous waste of a 100-ton assault, is moderately terrifying in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

As I was loading in my game crashed. When I reload and hop into the already in progress CW match, I am flying. My cockpit view is flying. I can see everything. I fly disconnected from any earthly desires and I can spot their whole team.

The targetting button, eject button, weapon buttons, indeed all buttons, do nothing. I'm a dang ghost.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

As I was loading in my game crashed. When I reload and hop into the already in progress CW match, I am flying. My cockpit view is flying. I can see everything. I fly disconnected from any earthly desires and I can spot their whole team.

The targetting button, eject button, weapon buttons, indeed all buttons, do nothing. I'm a dang ghost.

You sure you didnt accidently start Star Citizen?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
the hero daddy bear only had 1 ballistic point, and big clan ac's suck so it would probably boat missiles and spl

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Willfrey posted:

the hero daddy bear only had 1 ballistic point, and big clan ac's suck so it would probably boat missiles and spl

Don't dismiss the up close murder from an LB-20x. Up close it has a similar spread when compared to ASRM6. The hero bear can totally fit an Atlas 7s loadout and then some.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Willfrey posted:

I think 4 x ASRM6 and a clan LBX-20 is probably the 'best' twist and shoot mech build. adding 2xMPL might help a bit in certain circumstances. It depends on exactly how much you can cram in there crit wise and how much ammo it turns out to need.

The 11 energy KDK-5 might be interesting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

I think 4 x ASRM6 and a clan LBX-20 is probably the 'best' twist and shoot mech build. adding 2xMPL might help a bit in certain circumstances. It depends on exactly how much you can cram in there crit wise and how much ammo it turns out to need.

The 11 energy KDK-5 might be interesting.

Playing around in Skunkwerks (a btech mech builder) shows that you can fit 2x mpl, 4x asrm6 with 5 tons of ammo, and an LB20-X with 3 tons of ammo, the 400xl with 6 DHS mounted on it, the MASC, the normal complement of armor, and the MASC system with Ferro-fibrous and Endo-Steel.

That's pretty optimal for that mech, and I can't see the point in changing it around much, unless you wanted to somehow try to get rid of the XL engine.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 29, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crashed at the start of the round for no apparent reason, came back, mech still alive, but uh. :pgi:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
You've done it! You've achieved flight! I knew the Raven was aerodynamic enough! How's you do it? Duct tape some cardboard wings to the side and strap fireworks to it? Awesome...

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Orv posted:

Crashed at the start of the round for no apparent reason, came back, mech still alive, but uh. :pgi:

LAM alpha testing... PHOENIX HAWK.... Coincidence?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Krinkle posted:

This is a really old bug that has apparently resurfaced again, I thought they fixed this last year.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Could i ask for your opinions on the AC/40 jagermech build

Because it seems to either do Really well.. Or instantly get destroyed within the first engagement

Or maybe i'm just a terrible player

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zyntherius posted:

Because it seems to either do Really well.. Or instantly get destroyed within the first engagement

It's a gimmick build. Like most decent gimmick builds, there are times and maps when you can be rendered completely irrelevant.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe
Oh, man! I just bought the Warhammer and holy crap I can make pub Timberwolves run with their tails between their legs! Best investment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Whoever it was that talked me through setting up a streak crow last night, holy good god you were not kidding. This thing just eats lights for breakfast. 3-4 kills a match is surprisingly common. Just hang back behind the blob a bit and wait for them to think they're being sneaky going after butt meat then splat, add another notch to the belt.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zyntherius posted:

That's the AC40 Jäger build in a nutshell. The moment you're noticed by a competent team you are a priority, you have limited ammo, limited speed, bugger all armour and a big wide ct that no one can miss.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe

SumYungGui posted:

Whoever it was that talked me through setting up a streak crow last night, holy good god you were not kidding. This thing just eats lights for breakfast. 3-4 kills a match is surprisingly common. Just hang back behind the blob a bit and wait for them to think they're being sneaky going after butt meat then splat, add another notch to the belt.

The Streakcrow is a monster. So much fun!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

ZombyDog posted:

That's the AC40 Jäger build in a nutshell. The moment you're noticed by a competent team you are a priority, you have limited ammo, limited speed, bugger all armour and a big wide ct that no one can miss.

If you want to go even further do it on a BJ1 or a BJA. You can only fit three tons of ammo, but that's okay because you have 1 armor on all your slots and are running an XL engine. The tactic is you hit O and then run in and ignore ghost heat on the AC20s. This should be the common experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlSuGNt8e4

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Commoners posted:

This should be the commoner experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlSuGNt8e4

FTFY

e: so nerfing high alphas is bad but mechs need to have a longer time to live, how does this work?

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 29, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

The last time I saw this, or experienced it, was during the launch of the mining colony map (I forgot the name).
In fairness, it would be a pretty cool tool for streaming to an audience.
Admittedly that assumes this game would get an audience these days.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

TeeMerk posted:

FTFY

e: so nerfing high alphas is bad but mechs need to have a longer time to live, how does this work?

8v8. Or they could increase hp across the board again

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
increasing mech HP will only serve to make it even more mandatory that 12 mechs focus down their targets one at a time. It'll also make lights more irrelevant because shooting butts will become an essentially fruitless endeavor.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
more armor, less hp or more likely to get crit once armor open?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Stuff i dont understand:

My brand new Lasercrow has (for scientific purposes) 6 medium pulse lasers in the right hand.
I fire them, gaining 59% heat.
I let them cool down to just below 40, fire again, and shut down.
In my book 40+59 = not 100

Other than that, i think ill go with small pulses instead.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Stuff i dont understand:

My brand new Lasercrow has (for scientific purposes) 6 medium pulse lasers in the right hand.

I think you either cool more slowly when hot or heat is not linear or some poo poo because this poo poo happens to me too.

My favorite is the ~95% heat shutdown. Or was, until I just stopped never not pressing 'o' at the beginning of every match.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Moving increases heat by a small amount. So if you fired without moving at first then that could have been it, or a rounding error. I always give myself a 5% or more margin for error.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well, it handles 6 smlpl pretty well, and i put a Shotgun20 on the other and im having fun.

If right arm has acutators, and left doesnt, but i have only 1 "arm" crosshair (circle), does it act like having acutators or none?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Put six flamers in the god hand and load it up with ASRM6s, its really fun

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Stuff i dont understand:

they have what they call "Ghost Heat"

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

A.o.D. posted:

increasing mech HP will only serve to make it even more mandatory that 12 mechs focus down their targets one at a time. It'll also make lights more irrelevant because shooting butts will become an essentially fruitless endeavor.

Making it so you can only fire so many of different types of weapon at once or so many weapons total at once or whatever will do this too, wont it?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

EminusSleepus posted:

they have what they call "Ghost Heat"

6 med/small is the limit, and he was only firing 6 and waiting for the cooldown.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Making it so you can only fire so many of different types of weapon at once or so many weapons total at once or whatever will do this too, wont it?

But you would still have the same dps, you just would not be able to alpha, so it would wreck the brawling meta and bring back the boring sniper meta. A better solution would probably be to just drastically increase the cooldown of all weapons and therefore lower DPS, but that would come with it's own set of problems too. The best way would be to drastically lower the heat pool and increase cooling but PGI can't do math and said that they will never let this happen because having heat neutral builds is bad for some reason.

Washout fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 29, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

Put six flamers in the god hand and load it up with ASRM6s, its really fun

The B doesnt have missile slots, but its just the first of 3.

Scientific method showed that having only 1 acutator arm gives both arms acutators, appearently.
The cannon-arm cant have them, but the laser arm does, and i can fire the cannon out of torso-reach sideways.
Just in case you need to save some slots...

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Well, it handles 6 smlpl pretty well, and i put a Shotgun20 on the other and im having fun.

If right arm has acutators, and left doesnt, but i have only 1 "arm" crosshair (circle), does it act like having acutators or none?

You get reduced left/right movement for both arms, about 30 degrees off center, as I recall.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The B doesnt have missile slots, but its just the first of 3.

Scientific method showed that having only 1 acutator arm gives both arms acutators, appearently.
The cannon-arm cant have them, but the laser arm does, and i can fire the cannon out of torso-reach sideways.
Just in case you need to save some slots...

You're running a stormcrow aren't you? Buy the omnipod

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Stuff i dont understand:

Were you on a cold map? Cold maps can put you into negative heat, effectively expanding your total heat cap. If you were firing while stationary after starting up, that's probably what happened. Also 99 heat is basically 100 heat in the game's terms, as you will be considered 'overheating' the moment you hit 100%, even for a millisecond.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

You're running a stormcrow aren't you? Buy the omnipod

Im buying 3 for mastery anyways, dont want to have the same pod twice in the end.

novaSphere posted:

Were you on a cold map? Cold maps can put you into negative heat, effectively expanding your total heat cap. If you were firing while stationary after starting up, that's probably what happened. Also 99 heat is basically 100 heat in the game's terms, as you will be considered 'overheating' the moment you hit 100%, even for a millisecond.

Yes, frozen city tryout map.
That explains it, thanks.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Okay so here's the deal right. Without any actuators, you can move your arms up and down. That's it. So if one arm has actuators, that circle you see is only really representative of the arm with the actuator. The other arm will only go up and down the Y-axis.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Stringbean posted:

Okay so here's the deal right. Without any actuators, you can move your arms up and down. That's it. So if one arm has actuators, that circle you see is only really representative of the arm with the actuator. The other arm will only go up and down the Y-axis.

In that case, I'd highly recommend you put Arm Lock on while using that build.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I want them to somehow put LAM's into the game. Insane? Sure why not, but it'd be pure comedy to me, as it would make my Rifleman even more of a gigantic pain in the rear end. "Hooray, a thing moving around without cover (in the air) that I can just Ultra-AC/5 at until it falls down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Talmonis posted:

I want them to somehow put LAM's into the game. Insane? Sure why not, but it'd be pure comedy to me, as it would make my Rifleman even more of a gigantic pain in the rear end. "Hooray, a thing moving around without cover (in the air) that I can just Ultra-AC/5 at until it falls down."

You'd actually be able to use the Rifleman for the purpose it was designed for. :haw:

• Locked thread