Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Narciss posted:

Maybe not 2% anymore, but all of the negatives that plagued Trump from the outset are still there. His massive unfavorables, for example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/06/17/why-no-one-should-take-donald-trump-seriously-in-1-very-simple-chart/

Now yes, I'll admit that Trump has *slightly* surpassed that 23% figure. It is a little worrying to me that he now polls over twice as well as his favorability rating. But mark my words, at some point Trump's big mouth will get the better of him and he'll go over the line. Should by some freak accident he make it to the general, these unfavorables will continue to plague him into the general; these numbers don't just change or go away. Once he goes up against a candidate with real charisma and little-to-no skeletons in her closet, he'll be crushed - and I'll be there to enjoy the spectacle.

i think you tipped your hand a little bit at the end there but i appreciate what you were going for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

Just piping in that some of my pro trump coworkers are staying home tomorrow because of the David Duke comments

are they? or do they just not want to be called racist for publicly supporting him

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Disillusionist posted:

The scene: a cabin in the Canadian wilderness, inhabited by two peasants, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio. They host two traveling guests: a giant of a man, Ser Christie, and his ward, little Jon Kasich.

Cruz, Rubio, and their guests sit around a table for their evening meal. Cruz has little food to offer the travelers; /Pol/tards and Freepers have scourged the countryside, looting and haranguing the smallfolk. Cruz has long suspected that these criminals were in the employ of King Trump, but he dared not give voice to these concerns, especially not in front of his guests. Still, he bids little Rubio to serve Ser Christie and Jon.

After Rubio places two plates of poutine and two flagons of ale before the guests, Cruz bows his head and begins to pray. Ser Christie, who has little patience for religious folk, reaches for his food when Kasich nudges him under the table. Christie rolls his eyes but stays his hand, allowing Cruz to recite the ritual prayer.

"We thank the Seven scions of Conservatism for the food on our plates and the guests at our table. We thank the Father, Lord Reagan. We thank the Crone, Lady Thatcher. We thank the Smith, Lord Adam. We thank --"

"Yeah yeah. We thank all of 'em our throats haven't been cut yet. Let's eat." Christie begins noisily eating his meal.

"You'll have to excuse my friend," offers Kasich. "He's a veteran of the establishment wars, and... he has no manners."

Cruz seems to take no offense. "A veteran? We could use a man like you. The /pol/tards are getting bolder by the day. I'm afraid little Marco and I wouldn't be able to protect ourselves were they to attack our stead..."

Christie seemingly ignores the remark and downs his flagon of ale. "More," he barks. Little Marco dutifully refills the portly knight's vessel. "You have a bright future in public service," the little boy remarks cheerfully. Christie raises an eyebrow but says nothing.

Cruz continues: "Let me cut to the chase. We're vulnerable here. You seem like a good, strong fighter. One look at you and the cowards would run away. I can offer you donor cash to stay here and endorse us. Honest pay for honest work. What do you say?"

Kasich looks up at his companion expectantly. Christie hesitates, then replies: "I can stay until Super Tuesday."

The next morning, Kasich is awoken to the sound of screams coming from outside the cottage. He bolts outside, fearing a Freeper raid. Instead, he is horrified to see Ser Christie kicking the prostrate peasant Cruz. Marco stands to side side, screaming and helpless to protect the man. Christie gives Cruz one more kick to the ribs and slings a large bag of Donor Cash over his shoulder. He grabs Kasich forcefully by the hand and leads him away from the cottage, in the direction of the Trump House.

"You're the worst poo poo in the Fifty States," Kasich yells at his captor. Christie only laughs. "There's worse than me."

"You stole their Donor Cash! You said you would endorse them!"

"Those fools sheltered us, they make a nice poutine, and they'll both be dead come November. I just know the way things are. How many states does Trump have to win before you figure it out?"

Thank the conservative saints for this wonderful post.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

mcmagic posted:

There is no way Silver still has him at 2% for the nomination.

On the 538 election podcast he said he thought Betfair's 50% odds were about right.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"It is the difference in knowledge that commands respect. This is why the true test of every student lies in the humiliation of his master."
- Rubio, The Prima Politica

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Boosted_C5 posted:

I feel like a whole new world has opened up in front of me. WOAH.

People are following me? This is amazing. I take back all my past bashing of twittering.

This is revolutionary. WOW.
Something you should remember: you tweets need to be shorter to get The Don to retweet them, because he copy+pastes the content with your nickname. So make sure to lower that character limit.

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

Narciss posted:

Maybe not 2% anymore, but all of the negatives that plagued Trump from the outset are still there. His massive unfavorables, for example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/06/17/why-no-one-should-take-donald-trump-seriously-in-1-very-simple-chart/

Now yes, I'll admit that Trump has *slightly* surpassed that 23% figure. It is a little worrying to me that he now polls over twice as well as his favorability rating. But mark my words, at some point Trump's big mouth will get the better of him and he'll go over the line. Should by some freak accident he make it to the general, these unfavorables will continue to plague him into the general; these numbers don't just change or go away. Once he goes up against a candidate with real charisma and little-to-no skeletons in her closet, he'll be crushed - and I'll be there to enjoy the spectacle.

Did you get locked in a fridge for the last two months or something?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Daduzi posted:

On the 538 election podcast he said he thought Betfair's 50% odds were about right.

MASSIVELY overstating things, in my opinion, although I'm only an amateur statistician. Yes, he nearly has a simple majority of the popular vote and will almost certainly have a simple majority of the delegates, but have you seen the number of endorsements he has compared to his rivals? Hint: it's very, very low.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"... and my supporters, they say, make idols of their hats. But does not the hat make certain? Does not the hat make plain? Does not the hat compel kindness from those who kneel in its shadow? I need no other God."
- Trump, Deals and Dialogues

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Narciss posted:

MASSIVELY overstating things, in my opinion, although I'm only an amateur statistician. Yes, he nearly has a simple majority of the popular vote and will almost certainly have a simple majority of the delegates, but have you seen the number of endorsements he has compared to his rivals? Hint: it's very, very low.

Hes gimmick posting as pre-Trumpiphany Nate Silver

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Narciss posted:

Can someone explain to me why Trump's 49% support in the new poll is somehow a big deal? Last time I checked, 49% of anything isn't a majority. That means 51% of Conservatives still hate his guts and will rally behind a saner candidate as soon as the field narrows.

Because it used to be 30%

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

squidgee posted:

Of course it does - the foundation of Trump's support is racists and bigots, especially in the south, and he needs their votes on Super Tuesday.

For example, 20% of Trump supporters nationwide don't think that the Emancipation Proclamation was a good idea: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/upshot/measuring-donald-trumps-supporters-for-intolerance.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Disavowing the KKK would hurt turnout among those voters when he needs it the most. Dodging the question to avoid disavowing hate groups absolutely helps him get the nomination, even if it (hopefully) will bite him in the general.

How the gently caress do people believe this? I mean I know there is a negative view of Republicans around here, but do you seriously think just because some working class whites may be racist they are also hate group members or sympathizers? There is a difference between casual racism and overt racism and there is also a difference between overt racism and outright racial hatred. Some of the most racist people in the world would still never associate themselves with KKK, neo-Nazis or anything of the like.

This was a dumb move by the Donald and will only hurt his campaign unless he says something to completely reverse this narrative and fast.

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

breaklaw posted:

This was a dumb move by the Donald and will only hurt his campaign unless he says something to completely reverse this narrative and fast.

"Donald Trump sweeps Super Tuesday" reverses this narrative and fast. Then he just throws out a quick "I disavow" in his victory speech and the Trump Train rolls on.

Nothing matters.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

breaklaw posted:

Don't worry, The Donald has an airtight explanation for why he said what he said:

quote:

“I’m sitting in a house in Florida with a very bad earpiece they gave me,” he told hosts Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie on NBC’s “Today" show

“I sit down and I have a lousy earpiece provided by them,” Trump continued. "You could hardly hear what [CNN anchor Jake Tapper] was saying.

“What I heard was ‘various groups.' I have no problem disavowing groups but I’d at least like to know who they are. It’d be very unfair disavowing a group if they shouldn’t be disavowed.”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's already blamed the lack of disavowing on a faulty earpiece, and annoyedly asks how many time he has to disavow people before people.

e: :argh:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

breaklaw posted:

How the gently caress do people believe this? I mean I know there is a negative view of Republicans around here, but do you seriously think just because some working class whites may be racist they are also hate group members or sympathizers? There is a difference between casual racism and overt racism and there is also a difference between overt racism and outright racial hatred. Some of the most racist people in the world would still never associate themselves with KKK, neo-Nazis or anything of the like.

I think you're confusing "Republicans" with "people who will literally tell a pollster that freeing the slaves was a bad idea." That is not the same group of people. I'm not talking about Republicans here - I'm talking about a specific (and not insubstantial) contingent of hardcore Trump supporters.

That contingent of supports is somewhere between casual racists and full blown white supremacists, which is why Trump refused to disavow the KKK. Disavowing the KKK two days before Super Tuesday would risk retarding turnout among those core supporters when he needs it most. Plus, his refusal to disavow because, "I don't know David Duke, but I'll look into it," leaves enough room to allow his other, less bigoted supporters to rationalize it away. He'll just come out on Wednesday after crushing Super Tuesday and say, "I looked into the guy, and boy! He's bad! Terrible, terrible ideas!"

Why else do you think he dodged an obvious political slam dunk? Because he has no idea what he's doing? Come on, get your head out of the sand.

Korelle posted:

"Donald Trump sweeps Super Tuesday" reverses this narrative and fast. Then he just throws out a quick "I disavow" in his victory speech and the Trump Train rolls on.

Nothing matters.

This is the correct interpretation.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 29, 2016

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Rubio is getting...erotic
https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/704322793660411904

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Is he working for voters or four voters? This is important for his chances to score

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
"This scandal will obviously sink Donald Trump!!" says increasingly nervous man for 10th time this year.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Rubio actually working for more than a few hours a day is going to be fantastic, the gaffes are just going to start rolling in once he gets all tuckered out and starts malfunctioning. (I know he's said a few suspect things already, but that's just the beginning!)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Korelle posted:

Nothing matters.

Much like the wall - this isn't something that will go away for Trump. At least with the wall, he can tie the issue to illegal immigration, and claim the ban on Muslims is necessary to protect the country from terrorists. Claiming you need to do your research on David Duke and the KKK is not something that is going to fall away. Of course its' not going to hurt his chances of winning the nomination, but for someone who almost has it locked up, he needed to be thinking about the general election and this isn't something that can easily be rationalized away.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/704324162639290368

He's powering through depression right now, well on the way to acceptance.

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
Also using the KKK against Trump in the general just gets countered with

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

squidgee posted:

I think you're confusing "Republicans" with "people who will literally tell a pollster that freeing the slaves was a bad idea." That is not the same group of people. I'm not talking about Republicans here - I'm talking about a specific (and not insubstantial) contingent of hardcore Trump supporters.

That contingent of supports is somewhere between casual racists and full blown white supremacists, which is why Trump refused to disavow the KKK. Disavowing the KKK two days before Super Tuesday would risk retarding turnout among his core supporters when he needs it most.

Why else do you think he dodged an obvious political slam dunk? Because he has no idea what he's doing? Come on, get your head out of the sand.

Those people would have gone out and voted him either way. There isn't a candidate nipping at his heels for the white supremacist vote.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

"This scandal will obviously sink Donald Trump!!" says increasingly nervous man for 10th time this year.

I truly loved reading every post debate crescendo where all the insiders ended up screaming "This is fuckin it folks, he's dead for sure!"

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
http://nypost.com/2016/02/28/hillary-could-lose-to-trump-in-democratic-new-york/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the kkk issue is going to disappear (unless Rubio gets even more delusional) after ST. there's just no "there" there. it might be used quietly through surrogates to drive minority turnout during the GE but if you think Hillary is going to run a national ad on it or accuse trump to his face you have no idea how political races work

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Homeless Friend posted:

I truly loved reading every post debate crescendo where all the insiders ended up screaming "This is fuckin it folks, he's dead for sure!"

It's funny that they don't realize that they are the ones the voters hate, and that they're actively doing the opposite of what they're told

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Why can't Trump find a decent sound guy :smith:

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

rubio reverting to his old ways to win some votes

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

TyrantWD posted:

Those people would have gone out and voted him either way. There isn't a candidate nipping at his heels for the white supremacist vote.

You say this as though turnout isn't the deciding factor in most elections.

Trump's concern isn't that they might vote for another candidate - it's that they won't turn out and vote for anyone. Hence his refusal to disavow the KKK two days before Super Tuesday.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's the worst article I ve ever seen.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Hillary's more likely to win Texas than Trump is to win New York.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

euphronius posted:

It's the Post, what do you expect.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

squidgee posted:

You say this as though turnout isn't the deciding factor in most elections.

Trump's concern isn't that they might vote for another candidate - it's that they won't turn out and vote for anyone. Hence his refusal to disavow the KKK two days before Super Tuesday.

He also has to depress Hillarys turnout. Even if Trump gets em to the polls the Dems have more voters.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

the "trump victory" polls assume Bloomberg runs and splits the democratic vote, which he won't do if Hillary wins

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Although I think trump has strong cross over appeal to "Reagan democrats" if hey even exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Pfft, that hand is way too big.

• Locked thread