Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
DWS just gets under my skin with her general mannerisms. She almost reminds me of Michelle Bachmann, but for Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

And speaking as a fellow Floridian the pot thing didn't work either....it got over 50% but it fell short of the 60% required to make it law. So we're doing it all over again in November.

Yeah, I voted for Crist and voted for pot, but I know a number of people who stayed home because they didn't give a poo poo about pot and didn't see an appreciable different between Voldemort and Crist.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Or they could actually spend money on downticket races and actually try o fight against republicans.

:lol: Do you think the Democrats are a bunch of billionaires or something :rolleyes:

Something, something, local politics and bootstraps.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The DNC squandered all of the mobilization from OFA. I was super energized in 2008 and if anyone had reached out to me after i'd have kept going. Its one thing i'm really enjoying about the Bernie campaign is that I get emails to remind me to phone bank and theres a ton of outreach and there's actually a plan to keep it going after.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

smg77 posted:

I don't think you know what that term means. Millenials not getting their magic wizard man as the candidate is not disenfranchisement.

Voter ID laws and 'accidently' removing voting booths from college campuses will disenfranchise young people.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tigntink posted:

The DNC squandered all of the mobilization from OFA. I was super energized in 2008 and if anyone had reached out to me after i'd have kept going. Its one thing i'm really enjoying about the Bernie campaign is that I get emails to remind me to phone bank and theres a ton of outreach and there's actually a plan to keep it going after.

Were you not on the OFA mailing list? They sent a ton, a ton,of mobilization emails.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

Anyway as you can see people don't know why DWS is bad they just have a sense that she is because she's presiding over the D's failing at state and off-year elections.

Or folks like you continue to make poo poo up and ignore long, well thought out posts to the contrary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

DWS just gets under my skin with her general mannerisms. She almost reminds me of Michelle Bachmann, but for Democrats.

This is what I suspect is the problem for most people, as I have yet to see anyone articulate exactly what it is she's doing wrong, except saying pot shouldn't be legalized and supporting the actual Democrat in the race.

Solkanar512 posted:

Or folks like you continue to make poo poo up and ignore long, well thought out posts to the contrary.

Haven't seen one yet.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Were you not on the OFA mailing list? They sent a ton, a ton,of mobilization emails.

The didn't do a loving think to defend the ACA during 2010 or ensure that legislatures stayed blue for the census.

zoux posted:

This is what I suspect is the problem for most people, as I have yet to see anyone articulate exactly what it is she's doing wrong, except saying pot shouldn't be legalized and supporting the actual Democrat in the race.

Haven't seen one yet.

This is really loving stupid Zoux. Read back a few pages before posting this poo poo again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

The didn't do a loving think to defend the ACA during 2010 or ensure that legislatures stayed blue for the census.

How on earth do you think OFA could have done what you asked?

They don't have a magic "win races" button.

Winning legislative races with national money is not a simple idea. Do you parachute in hired guns (and risk offending locals)? Do you just give the money to the local party (and risk them wasting it)?

Do you fund the idealist progressives in congress (like people in this thread demand) or do you spend money electing blue dogs to hold the line on redistricting (like people in this thread demand)?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

Haven't seen one yet.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

She was also responsible for the Democrats' initial plan to have no more than six debates this cycle and viciously stuck to those guns in the face of overwhelming opposition- going so far as to threaten the campaigns with repercussions if they participated in any unsanctioned events.

Between that and the 2014 strategy of "bury any affiliation to Obama or progressivism," DWS pisses a lot of liberals off by giving the distinct impression that she buys into the GOP notion that progressivism can't work/is repellent to voters in America and that the only reasonable path to Democratic victory is to squeak through the center. 2014 congressional candidates were more-often-than-not insulated rather than put on the offensive so they had nothing to answer with when accused of consorting with (gasp) a popular president. So while the Teabaggers had their rage machine going at 11 many democrats who I suppose had just been expected to show up didn't. Also the DNC made the deliberate choice to hide President Obama in an appeal to "moderates" when they honestly should have flown him out to every single contested state as many times as possible. The entire strategy feels almost like a holdout from the Bill Clinton brand of "new Democrats".

And while I don't think that the debate schedule was intended to sink Bernie's campaign in the way that some people often accuse, I do think that it was borne out of an idea that it wouldn't generate any traction and that he would need to be shuttered away quickly in case he became a liability for the party's image, like Dukakis in the Bush I years, while Hillary would also be insulated from potential controversy with a condensed debate schedule.

I imagine that people in the DNC feared that Bernie would keep making enough money to stick around and be a Ron Paulesque go-nowhere sound bite machine that the Republicans could mine for attacks in the general. Regardless, it still strongly suggests that the party's idea of a strong offense is a good defense and shows a tremendous misread of their constituency.

The fact that it seems as though DWS and company have been taken completely by surprise at how emphatically and broadly the Democratic base has grabbed the mantle of the left shows that they probably shouldn't be in charge of running the DNC at this moment. It's certainly not a reason to hate her but people are totally right to criticize her job performance.

Potato Salad posted:

From many pages back, eat poo poo.

DWS = Open floodgates on the same kind of unrestricted campaign fundraising I left the RNC for.

The moment Obama recommended blocking certain sources of funding and the ban actually happened, I had a "wow, sincere" epiphany and left my party.

Now the DNC is loving that up, and unless I have been reading things very wrong, DWS could have stopped it.

SSNeoman posted:

Yuuup. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/magazine/debbie-wasserman-schultz-thinks-young-women-are-complacent.html?_r=0

DWS is pretty terrible and she's basically doing her best to fly under the radar and keep her job. Seriously read that last one it's :jerkbag: as gently caress.

Seriously, quit being so loving lazy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Seriously, quit being so loving lazy.

Lol, I'm glad you found some posts that give you a reason to hate DWS other than "she doesn't support Bernie" but I think the hatred goes deeper than "limited debates" and "said what every single other second wave feminist has said".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've been hearing DWS hate long before Bernie was running.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

How on earth do you think OFA could have done what you asked?

They don't have a magic "win races" button.

Winning legislative races with national money is not a simple idea. Do you parachute in hired guns (and risk offending locals)? Do you just give the money to the local party (and risk them wasting it)?

Do you fund the idealist progressives in congress (like people in this thread demand) or do you spend money electing blue dogs to hold the line on redistricting (like people in this thread demand)?

The very least they could have done was have supporters contact their representatives and attend town hall meetings to support the president. It doesn't take much to customize those sorts of notifications given the data sets already available.

I mean gently caress, are you seriously happy with how 2010 went, and that the DNC did everything they could to get support for this bill?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

Lol, I'm glad you found some posts that give you a reason to hate DWS other than "she doesn't support Bernie" but I think the hatred goes deeper than "limited debates" and "said what every single other second wave feminist has said".

What in the hell does DWS have to do with the primary? Is that why you're blindly supporting her, because you think she's a Clinton supporter or something? This has nothing to do with Sanders vs. Clinton and the issues go back for years.

I think you're just making poo poo up at this point.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I guess a different question is why should she keep her job?

National politics is complicated so it's hard to say what stuff is or isn't her fault but it would be interesting to know what she is doing that makes her a good chair.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

The very least they could have done was have supporters contact their representatives and attend town hall meetings to support the president. It doesn't take much to customize those sorts of notifications given the data sets already available.

I mean gently caress, are you seriously happy with how 2010 went, and that the DNC did everything they could to get support for this bill?

No, I'm not happy with 2010 but I recognize that the ability of campaigns to influence elections is highly overstated.

Likewise, when you talk about townhalls, you have to put them in the context that even the Reps themselves weren't aware it was going to blow up like that.

Plus, defending ACA would have done jack-all to help redistricting...the DNC def didn't have the money to do all of the above. That's my main problem with the "DWS ruined 2010/2014" narrative. We were going to lose hard and all the DNC could do is limit the bleeding.

Maybe she could have done a better job, but there's no way God Emperor Dean himself could have turned the tide.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the huge boom in first time voter enthusiasm for sanders should demonstrate that the reason the dems are sucking at local and state races is because they generally aren't interesting enough for vaguely left but not politically active folks to bother voting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

What in the hell does DWS have to do with the primary? Is that why you're blindly supporting her, because you think she's a Clinton supporter or something? This has nothing to do with Sanders vs. Clinton and the issues go back for years.

I think you're just making poo poo up at this point.

I'm not supporting her, I know the reasons I think she should be gone. I'm calling out people who are talking about DWS like the Tea Party talks about Obama, and who have no idea why she's bad except that they've heard that she's bad.

Trabisnikof posted:

No, I'm not happy with 2010 but I recognize that the ability of campaigns to influence elections is highly overstated.

Likewise, when you talk about townhalls, you have to put them in the context that even the Reps themselves weren't aware it was going to blow up like that.

Plus, defending ACA would have done jack-all to help redistricting...the DNC def didn't have the money to do all of the above. That's my main problem with the "DWS ruined 2010/2014" narrative. We were going to lose hard and all the DNC could do is limit the bleeding.

Maybe she could have done a better job, but there's no way God Emperor Dean himself could have turned the tide.

There's also plenty of precedence for not inviting an unpopular president out to campaign events.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Radish posted:

I guess a different question is why should she keep her job?

National politics is complicated so it's hard to say what stuff is or isn't her fault but it would be interesting to know what she is doing that makes her a good chair.

I don't see her losing her position if Clinton becomes president because she has traditionally been part of the Clinton machine, and the Clintons have always been good about rewarding their followers. Whether she is trying to affect the primary because if this is frankly rather irrelevant. She has stated that her only reason to be DNC chair is to try and increase her own prominence, and frankly has done an rear end poor job of organizing the democratic party, as seen by the absolute shitshow that is the state parties in a lot of states that is causing them to lose winnable elections.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the huge boom in first time voter enthusiasm for sanders should demonstrate that the reason the dems are sucking at local and state races is because they generally aren't interesting enough for vaguely left but not politically active folks to bother voting

What, you mean running a campaign that is 100% "I am not this scary Republican who is going to do bad things, vote for me. No I'm not going to even mention my own name" isn't a good way of getting people enthusiastic to vote? Who would have guessed.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 29, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Well based on the primaries, Bernie doesn't really fulfill those requirements either.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

computer parts posted:

Well based on the primaries, Bernie doesn't really fulfill those requirements either.

IIRC in some states the youth vote is around as high as 2008. Though those are states that explicitly appeal to Sanders demographics, the youth turnout struggles in states that Sanders doesn't reach well. Having the right candidate matters to a degree.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

punk rebel ecks posted:

IIRC in some states the youth vote is around as high as 2008. Though those are states that explicitly appeal to Sanders demographics, the youth turnout struggles in states that Sanders doesn't reach well. Having the right candidate matters to a degree.

Didn't you get the message, voter enthusiasm doesn't matter anymore. Young people don't vote.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd like to see data on that. Though with the qualifier you gave, I guess that just means "New Hampshire has youth vote as high as in 2008".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

I'm not supporting her, I know the reasons I think she should be gone. I'm calling out people who are talking about DWS like the Tea Party talks about Obama, and who have no idea why she's bad except that they've heard that she's bad.

If you were doing this in good faith you'd be quoting these specific individuals. Instead you're making blanket statements, tying it to supporters of Bernie Sanders for some stupid reason and ignoring anyone who says anything different.

This isn't useful or productive conversation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Didn't you get the message, voter enthusiasm doesn't matter anymore. Young people don't vote.

Only the youth vote can change that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol Martin O'Malley just endorsed John Fetterman for Senate.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Trabisnikof posted:

I think what initially happened after Obama was that the OFA mailing list was just generic and terrible. Basically just repeatedly asking a college kid for money is stupid. They never asked for me to volunteer. I got more useful emails from moveon than OFA.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

zoux posted:

There's also plenty of precedence for not inviting an unpopular president out to campaign events.

2014 was a strong example of the Democrats failing because they tried to lure away Repub voters by tacking to the right, resulting in neither luring away enough of those voters to matter amd giving the Democrat voters any reason to show up and vote.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

computer parts posted:

I'd like to see data on that. Though with the qualifier you gave, I guess that just means "New Hampshire has youth vote as high as in 2008".

This is a good breakdown that was current as of Nevada.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

As a former Floridian I can assure you this is not only correct but also due to shitheads from New Jersey and the non-Manhattan boroughs of NYC flying down there and turning the place into what Arizona is rapidly becoming.

oh wow so new jersey does have an export industry now

cool

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Taerkar posted:

2014 was a strong example of the Democrats failing because they tried to lure away Repub voters by tacking to the right, resulting in neither luring away enough of those voters to matter amd giving the Democrat voters any reason to show up and vote.

Please, which races would have gone blue in 2014 if only the Democratic candidate ran a more progressive and less moderate campaign?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Source?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Please, which races would have gone blue in 2014 if only the Democratic candidate ran a more progressive and less moderate campaign?

Do your really think that one candidate in Kentucky (who's name I don't remember) who refused to say if she voted for Obama during a debate when asked really did her any favors?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KomradeX posted:

Do your really think that one candidate in Kentucky (who's name I don't remember) who refused to say if she voted for Obama during a debate when asked really did her any favors?

Which doesn't prove that she would've won if she had done so.

McConnell beat Grimes 56-41. That's not something that can be overcome just by saying "Obamacare is great and I voted for Obama!"

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Well if you count out the areas where he doesn't fulfill the requirements, then he does!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KomradeX posted:

No, I think that was a horrible blunder by that candidate.

The correct thing would have been to say she voted Obama, because of hope/change and has thus far been a little disappointed in the grid-lock and the focus on washington and not mainstreet, etc etc.

The DNC had nothing to do with gaff and even if Dean was DNC chair, the candidate in KY wouldn't have run a pro-Obama campaign and won.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Trabisnikof posted:

No, I think that was a horrible blunder by that candidate.
Can you remind me what rhymes with that candidate's name again?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Though cowards flinch

and traitors sneer

We'll keep the red flag flying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another Dem candidate laid low by the GOP mastery of memes.

• Locked thread