Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait there's a gay character? I missed that presumably because it had nothing to do with the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I don't really think about V's gender. I'll default to "he" as habit but honestly Varsuuvius's gender has such little bearing on the rest of their character's arc that I don't care to analyze it.

That being said I hope V is a big gay.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Len posted:

Wait there's a gay character? I missed that presumably because it had nothing to do with the story.

Bandana, the new captain of the airship.

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

Didn't the coloring book have a page about V that asks kids, "Do you think V is a man or a woman? Why do you think that? Ask your parents if they think V is a man or a woman, then ask them why they think that"?

I probably have this posted way back in the thread somewhere:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Len posted:

This. Nothing of value was gained and nothing of value was lost. I wish the guy who Rich tweeted to just jumped of a bridge. It´s nothing to care about.

Where does this sudden confirmation come from?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Do you think Rich is dropping subtle hints that when we finally see the Monster in the Dark, it'll be alongside an equally mind blowing reveal that Vaarsuvius has a penis?
Thanks for preemptively ruining the MitD reveal, it can't possibly live up to the mental image I have now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thanks for preemptively ruining the MitD reveal, it can't possibly live up to the mental image I have now.

What if the MitD is V's long lost penis?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cliff Racer posted:

V was originally drawn in a robe that hid all curves, making him less "midpoint" and more "not applicable." The thing people are saying, that some of you seem to miss, is that its thought that V was originally created as male, and the "we're not going to say one way or another" thing came later, not that he is currently being depicted as male just with Rich being coy and dropping hints.

Comic #6, Roy refers to Varsuuvius as "V-Man", so yep. Checks out.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I remember reading that Rich decided to start making V ambiguous really early on. Like, strips 2-5 early.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Colonial Air Force posted:

This just means that Roy sees V as male.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think anyone really cares about Vs gender, except for the part of people's brains that are annoyed by anything being indeterminate. Like what is Cia hiding, why won't Mr. Wilson show his face? (actually he always shows the upper half and she only shows the bottom half, coincidence?), what does Maris look like? What did Bill Murray say to ScarJo!?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Colonial Air Force posted:

Apparently that was in response to a poll claiming that most readers thought of V as female.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

New comic

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Poor Belkar, always the comic relief.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
In the next comic he trips over a stone and dies, fulfilling the prophecy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure but, I feel like I'm ping ponging every strip between being worried about Belkar and not worried about Belkar; I feel like the Prophecy is doing a lot to ramp up the tension.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure but, I feel like I'm ping ponging every strip between being worried about Belkar and not worried about Belkar; I feel like the Prophecy is doing a lot to ramp up the tension.

Working as intended.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

jng2058 posted:

Bandana, the new captain of the airship.

I remember Rich's tweet with the picture of Bandana-and-Girlfriend celebrating the legalization of gay marriage, but was it also featured in the strip?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Parahexavoctal posted:

I remember Rich's tweet with the picture of Bandana-and-Girlfriend celebrating the legalization of gay marriage, but was it also featured in the strip?

Bandana just mentions her ex girlfriend, really offhandedly, once to Haley. That's what had this dude making GBS threads himself.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Parahexavoctal posted:

Bandana gives Haley some clothes and mentions they belonged to an ex-girlfriend. I think she says one or two other things about her outside of that in the same comic or the one after. It's incredibly minor.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rich is totally trolling with the Belkar prophecy and I love every minute of it.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
We all know that prophecies aren't allowed to not have an ironic result. I'm just looking forward to how Rich is going to cheat it.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
That was a great strip.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I appreciate how Roy was very frank with the "You were right I was wrong." He didn't tiptoe around it and he said it in a manner that almost welcomed some "I told you so" as long as Belkar hurried up.

And that pissed Belkar off because he couldn't even make Roy feel bad and gloat about it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I know we don't usually get to see thought bubbles during a fight, but that seemed like a lot of thinking, considering what character this is. I try to picture what early Belkar would do if he was forced to fight without weapons, and other than setting things on fire, I'm drawing a blank. More of that fake character development of his at work? He's really become one of my favorite characters now, when he used to be in last place.

V, too. Love how casual and matter of fact roasting that that vampire was, you know he wouldn't have been able to resist having something to say about it before, especially with it being Belkar there.

And I can't get over how fantastic Roy's magic sword powers look, the art upgrade was worth it for those alone. This whole strip was great.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Belkar's the best PC?

Belkar's the best PC.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Zoe posted:

More of that fake character development of his at work? He's really become one of my favorite characters now, when he used to be in last place.
Belkar's fake development has been rapidly progressing into a three dimensional personality.

Now keep in mind; that third dimension is still shallow as a pool that would be safe for Elan but he has a lot more going on upstairs these days.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

This one:

...which was not in the strip, but is pretty nifty regardless.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
V and V's partner are homophobes, trying to knock that gay couple unconscious for kissing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

greatn posted:

V and V's partner are homophobes, trying to knock that gay couple unconscious for kissing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zoe posted:

And I can't get over how fantastic Roy's magic sword powers look, the art upgrade was worth it for those alone. This whole strip was great.

Yeah. I love the green fire.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

greatn posted:

No that's color spray. Prismatic spray means she's trying to set them on fire, melt them with acid, fry them with electricity, poison them, turn them to stone, drive them insane, or banish them to another plane.

Or, you know, blow a 7th level spell slot in celebration. Could be that too. :rolleyes:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jng2058 posted:

Or, you know, blow a 7th level spell slot in celebration. Could be that too. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm I don't think that's supported by any rulebook I know of....

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zoe posted:

I know we don't usually get to see thought bubbles during a fight, but that seemed like a lot of thinking, considering what character this is. I try to picture what early Belkar would do if he was forced to fight without weapons, and other than setting things on fire, I'm drawing a blank. More of that fake character development of his at work? He's really become one of my favorite characters now, when he used to be in last place.

It's just turning into words the usual instinct and muscle memory. Setting up a " piss him off and then trip him down a mountain" wouldn't take that long as a mental process.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zoe posted:

V, too. Love how casual and matter of fact roasting that that vampire was, you know he wouldn't have been able to resist having something to say about it before, especially with it being Belkar there.

WSHHCNCT

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hmmmm I don't think that's supported by any rulebook I know of....

Sure it is. Cast Prismatic Spray. Miss. There, you've done all you need to and blown a 7th level spell slot in rainbowy celebration. :toot:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

sebmojo posted:

WSHHCNCT

Translation?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jng2058 posted:

Sure it is. Cast Prismatic Spray. Miss. There, you've done all you need to and blown a 7th level spell slot in rainbowy celebration. :toot:

I didn't think spells could miss?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Len posted:

Prismatic Spray is a cone-shaped burst. It doesn't take any special skill or luck to aim a burst, so it doesn't "miss" under the traditional definition, but you can deliberately not hit anything with it by aiming it in a direction that doesn't have anyone in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Len posted:

Different spells work in some ways. Buffing spells are pretty much all automatic and can't miss

In terms of damaging spells it varies.

Some automatically hit but then the person almost always gets a save to ignore it or reduce the effect, which isn't always the case for other spells. This type of attack is often how spells which don't cause physical damage work like hold person, power words, etc. Magic Missile is a rare example of an attack which automatically hits and does damage with no saving throw or possibility to avoid damage. It's also how AoE attacks tend to work, you automatically hit but the targets can save to resist the effect.

Others, usually those which cause damage direct damage to a single target, require an attack roll which can miss. These are usually touch attacks so you need to hit the person but their armour isn't a factor in it because all you need to do is tap them, not penetrate their armour. Big bulky fighters will often have little defence. These can be melee (having to literally touch a person) or ranged (shoot a magical beam which disintergrates someone if they don't pass their save).