Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Adar posted:

Reminder that Rubio must hit 20% in Texas to get anything

Also, Betfair has $11K US of Trump available at 9/1 and I'm really tempted

Somebody else took that bet while I was putting my kid to sleep but that's probably for the best since I'm already four figures into that market. protip: ARG is probably wrong and the early voters are too big a slice of the electorate, so don't get sucked into big Trump buys that you can't get rid of tomorrow.

Adar has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Narciss posted:

Actually the way to win is to assess probabilities more accurately than the people you're betting against. 'Modest' wins can tend to mask a poor strategy for a long time because assuming an event's probabilities are accurately priced, you can easily have a streak of +20% wins when you're betting on outcomes with 80% odds.

As opposed to betting the rent money on Bernie winning every state? God I hope you're trolling.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
is there honestly anyone ITT who was buying up texas TRUMP.YES/CRUZ.NO as an actual "train to the station" bet and not as an opportunity to flip off any potential PI fever?

S/O to those of you who waited and flipped the other way- the blood in the water was too tempting for me.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Adar posted:

While you're right about this, the way the polling has broken there's no plausible way Rubio picks up > 2 states. If he doesn't, there is a very nasty wrinkle in the delegate allocation rules. I'll PM you the details as I don't want this public.

The media have started covering this so I can spill the beans.

Rubio is probably screwed on Tuesday because of two very nasty wrinkles Reince et al. threw into their delegate allocation rules.

1)The four largest states (TX/GA/TN/AL) all have 20% thresholds;
2)Congressional district delegates are distributed 2 for 1st place / 1 for 2nd in every state.

The first wrinkle comes into play everywhere somebody runs under 20%. Obviously, if Rubio is under 20% in any of these states he's in trouble, but it's almost as bad for him if Cruz is. To take a T35/R25/C20 vs. C19 split as an example, it's the difference between Trump getting 45-55% of the delegates and 65-70% of them. Note that Cruz delegates are almost as good for Rubio as Rubio delegates at this point, because some of the only realistic ways that Rubio wins involve making a deal with him.

The second wrinkle is mostly a big deal in Texas, which has 108 congressional delegates (and somewhat in GA which also has 45). Just cutting down the margin of victory does nothing for Rubio; Trump can underperform there and still get almost the same delegate #. On the other hand, there will definitely be many districts in GA where Cruz beats Rubio / TX where Trump beats Rubio. This will cost Cruzbio 2-3 dozen delegates at a minimum.

Basically, Rubio does much better in the delegate math if Cruz takes 48 hours longer to flame out than it seems he's currently doing. At the moment it looks like Cruz is failing everywhere but Texas, and the minute he drops under 20% in the rest of the South he takes Rubio down with him. This is, of course, entirely appropriate in GOP2016.

---

The last polls in TX (C33/T32/R17), AL (T42/R19/C17) and TN (T40/C22/R19) mean that, if they all hold up, Rubio will get approximately 4-6 delegates out of the 258 that they have combined, Cruz will get approximately 100 and Trump will take the rest. If Cruz underperforms by 1 more point and loses Texas, Rubio will still get 5, Cruz will get 50 delegates and Trump will get 200. Draw your own conclusions.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Adar posted:

delegates

This is 100% right and maybe the biggest reason Rubio is in even worse trouble than people think. He needed to surge before today. Unless all the polling is missing late movement towards Rubio, he is going to be facing a severe deficit after tomorrow.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yup. The RNC gamed the system to always make sure the establishment candidate outperformed gains in delegates compared to polling performance. But whoops, turns out the baked-in advantages can really gently caress you if you're not the frontrunner.

I'm glad I pay attention to various European elections since it makes delegate allocation so much easier to understand.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

railroad terror posted:

I've got 547 shares @ .77 in the Trump RNOM market --- can't wait to start flipping those on Tuesday night

You and me both, ha ha. Should I put in a sell order now or on Tuesday night? Maybe at 94/95?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

G-Hawk posted:

This is 100% right and maybe the biggest reason Rubio is in even worse trouble than people think. He needed to surge before today. Unless all the polling is missing late movement towards Rubio, he is going to be facing a severe deficit after tomorrow.

And all the polling we're seeing shows that the Rubio plan to make dick jokes has been very very bad for him.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Something I just thought of: if/when Trump becomes the inevitable Republican nominee will the Senate allow Obama to appoint a justice? It seems like that could significantly alter their calculus.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

UnoriginalMind posted:

You and me both, ha ha. Should I put in a sell order now or on Tuesday night? Maybe at 94/95?
Might as well put it in now because the trading volume is massive. Get in line now.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Someone please call me out if these are wrong

Poll closings for Super Tuesday - All times EST

7 PM

Alabama
Georgia
Virginia
Vermont

8 PM

Massachusetts
Minnesota - Caucuses begin
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas

8:30 PM

Arkansas

9 PM

Colorado - Caucuses begin

railroad terror has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Feb 29, 2016

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Has there been any report on which races will get exit or entrance polls? in the past caucuses often don't and I'm particularly interested in CO and MN

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Colorado is going to keep us all awake, isn't it

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

railroad terror posted:

Someone please call me out if these are wrong

Poll closings for Super Tuesday - All times EST

7 PM

Alabama
Georgia
Virginia

8 PM

Massachusetts
Minnesota - Caucuses begin
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas

8:30 PM

Arkansas

9 PM

Colorado - Caucuses begin

Vermont closes at 7:00. Not a lot on the line in the Dem side, as Bernie is winning by about 80%, but might be interesting to see if Trump over or under performs his polling average

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Thanks, completely forgot about Vermont. I always thought Vermont Repubs were a little less insane. Guess we'll find out.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I put an offer for 28 and 30 seconds later someone took it. Don't want to be greedy.

IMO, the way you win at this is to put together a bunch of modest wins and avoid big losses at all costs. You're most likely to strike out when you swing the bat like you're trying to get a home run.

Maybe, but only if you also leave yourself open to making big wins. That's why buying penny shares for "unlikely" events is a good idea; one win more than makes up for all the whiffs. Politics is much more volatile than people seem to think, and PI traders tend to become locked onto 99% for things that really are not so certain as the deadline approaches. We saw that once again with the polling markets this month.

In related news, I'm up 30% today alone :psyduck:

Fuschia tude has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Feb 29, 2016

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
New markets:

• Hawaii GOP Caucuses
  • Michigan Democratic Primary
  • Michigan GOP Primary
  • Mississippi GOP Primary
  • Mississippi Democratic Primary
  • Idaho Republican Caucuses

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Peachstapler posted:

New markets:

• Hawaii GOP Caucuses
  • Michigan Democratic Primary
  • Michigan GOP Primary
  • Mississippi GOP Primary
  • Mississippi Democratic Primary
  • Idaho Republican Caucuses

My lowballing never works when markets start.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Made out alright on that Trump TX bump. Got rid of the .30 Cruz.NOs I bought too early, too.

Also!

quote:

Important Notice

We continue to make significant changes to the site to improve performance. You may, however, continue to experience slower response times during periods of high volume, in particular throughout Super Tuesday and after the polls close.

As a reminder, here are some things that you need to know: •When trading volume on a particular market is especially heavy, we may post a notice at the top of the market and contract pages advising you to expect longer than normal processing times.
•During periods of heavy volume, you may receive notification that your request is “in process."
•Offers are processed in the order in which they are received. Do not resubmit offers that are already in process.

It is important to note that you can see your offers “in process” in the ownership view. “In process” offers can be cancelled before processing in the same manner as open offers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fuschia tude posted:

Maybe, but only if you also leave yourself open to making big wins. That's why buying penny shares for "unlikely" events is a good idea; one win more than makes up for all the whiffs. Politics is much more volatile than people seem to think, and PI traders tend to become locked onto 99% for things that really are not so certain as the deadline approaches. We saw that once again with the polling markets this month.

In related news, I'm up 30% today alone :psyduck:

I'm tempted to bet against market consensus on polls for a month and see if I boom or bust.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

clinton +11 in ma per emerson

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I have 700 shares in Oklahoma split between Bernie YES and Hillary NO with an average of about $0.25. Should I take my 40 cent gains or should I ride that bet through tomorrow?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Threw together a quick spreadsheet to help understand different scenarios. I think this is most likely:

I'm probably not going to be able to do much tomorrow between being busy at work and Predictit crashing so I'm pretty well locked in :rolldice:

Losing Colorado would suck but I think the registration deadline and format will help Hilldawg.

User Error has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Mar 1, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
New poll of 500 voters shows Clinton +9 in OK

http://www.news9.com/story/31347726/...-clinton-in-ok

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gyges posted:

I have 700 shares in Oklahoma split between Bernie YES and Hillary NO with an average of about $0.25. Should I take my 40 cent gains or should I ride that bet through tomorrow?

I think Hillary wins tomorrow so I'm biased, but I would sell most if not all. But great buy and great trade.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

That's a huge portion of undecideds compared to the one this morning. 29% vs 9%.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
The Sooner poll sucks, but I also have trouble believing that Hillary's polling is increasing everywhere except OK.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I'd put Oklahoma about 50/50 right now.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm putting big bets on Cruz carrying the south tomorrow and Rubio carrying the midwest/north (Minnesota will be a big upside surprise for him). Trump will probably get the Northeast, but I think tomorrow is going to surprise a lot of people. I'm going to keep my finger on the trigger and close those shares when they spike, then buy equal shares Rubio/Cruz for GOP nominee (assuming I can get in early enough). I'm not sure which way the Cruz/Rubio contest will play out, but they're low enough in the odds right now that I can make a good profit buying both and shorting Trump.

Narciss has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Mar 1, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeta Taskforce posted:

As opposed to betting the rent money on Bernie winning every state? God I hope you're trolling.

He's correct. The downside of sure-thing low-payoff bets is that when they go against you, they go against you hard. If you are not evaluating the probabilities there better than the market does, that black swan event is going to wreck your poo poo once it finally happens.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I need to learn when to hold em ._.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Flavahbeast posted:

I need to learn when to hold em ._.

I had 800 shares at an average of 14 cents and cashed them in yesterday. lol

I've made about $100 on oklahoma playing movement today though so thats something

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If there are more than a few hours left in any market, it's worth it to not panic. These markets are way too volatile to ever have to sell at lows unless the writing is on the wall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evilweasel posted:

He's correct. The downside of sure-thing low-payoff bets is that when they go against you, they go against you hard. If you are not evaluating the probabilities there better than the market does, that black swan event is going to wreck your poo poo once it finally happens.

Yeah, I really don’t like putting a lot on the line for marginal gains.

I’ll do it for something like “Will turnout in the South Carolina Democratic primary exceed 22%?” after looking at the raw data and seeing not a single precinct anywhere close.

Risking $100 for a $0.90 gain on something like “Will Rand Paul participate in the debate?”? If take that bet 100 times, I strongly suspect I’ll lose more than once.

e: OBAMA.IMPCH is the dumbest market. I understand buying “YES”, even if I think it has negative expected value, but who says “I want to tie up my money all year for a 1% gain if I’m right, and if I’m wrong I lose everything”? If you really, really want to get in on that market, the way to do it is to wait till the last moment people are still willing to sell you “NO”.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 02:55 on Mar 1, 2016

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

evilweasel posted:

That wasn't what I was saying. First, after some early losses when that exact thing happened, I decided that I would never take a large enough position on anything where something would wipe me out. My point was more that if I am sitting on a profit I will take it rather than hold out for more. Every situation is different. Was it a short term fluctuation or based on genuine new information? I have missed out on some gains and have not always sold at the peak, but more often than not it has allowed me to lock in something.

As an example I was buying up cheap Kasich in VT, MN and MA before New Hampshire on the expectation that a victory there would help him in the more moderate northern and mid western states. At one point I had about 2500 shares at 3 cents. It got frothy and some of the markets peaked at 25. But I was selling chunks at 10, 15, 20 and the when I could see that it had peaked I started dumping the rest. I ended up selling the last at 5 or 6 cents, but I sold about 3/4 of them on the way up. I would have done better had I not sold the first bunch so low, but I did a lot better than thinking the momentum would go on forever, never selling at any price.

I started out with $500, lost half of it the first month. I never deposited any more money and now I have $1700. I will have more if Hillary wins Oklahoma, but either way I'm not wiped out.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Who else here is holding Cruz YES in Texas?

... and what's your plan?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Peachstapler posted:

Yep, holding 40 shares at an average price of 75¢. Gonna hold them all the way to the payout, because I'm still completely convinced he'll pull things off here.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Peachstapler posted:

that seems like the unsafest market in the world right now. i really don't know what to think of early votes vs trump surge

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My plan for tomorrow is to not open Predictit at all and let my bets stand until around 8:30pm. Then I'm going to sell any Trump YES in TX I still have and buy hopefully cheap Cruz YES TX, drink a beer and let it all ride. My reading of the election is Trump is winning everything but Texas and Hillary is winning everything but Vermont and maybe Oklahoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Peachstapler posted:

Still have about 130 shares left of the 800 I bought yesterday. Going to sell them between 7 and 8 eastern time no matter what price I get. I'm monitoring Oklahoma. I'm in deeper than I want to be for Hillary so I'm a seller on any spike. I'm going to decide Minnesota based on how muchTrump overperforms or underperforms in MA and VT

• Locked thread