Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I was just looking back at the 2004 election and it still makes me so depressed. Between Kerry, Dean, and Edwards - Dean was so much more likable and energetic. Edwards was an rear end in a top hat and everything that came out about him and his personal life was horrible. Kerry was just a sad muppet and I never once remember him getting excited about poo poo. He is an amazing statesman but man, not a good candidate. I was 17 and just missed the vote by a month. Killed me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dean needed to win big in Iowa to meet expectations - that he didn't, combined with some missteps in the campaigning prior to that primary that ate away at his image of a non-traditional politician and non-traditional campaign, sank him.

The Dean Scream is just a convenient point of inflection.

To make a clumsy analogy, the Empire of Japan was always going to lose to the United States in WW2 over a number of structural, doctrinal, economic, political, industrial, and technological factors, but we still look at the Battle of Midway as a decisive, pivotal battle that turned the tide because it's much simpler to process that way.

Also, I've heard that while the Dean Scream isn't all that bad in the vacuum of a single play of a youtube video, it was different if you were there at the time and heard it every 5 minutes.

Yeah, the way the mic wasn't capturing the crowd noise apparently made it seem like he was just yelling for no reason. Add to that the meme-like endless loop of YEEEARGH! and you get a narrative that the guy is an unhinged revolutionary.

E: Midway was a very real turning point in the war though, in the way getting shot in the lung is a very real turning point in one's medical history. It was a fluke, an accidental occurrence exacerbated by all that stuff you mentioned, but the IJN lost four carriers to the US' one, with radically different manners in which the IJN carriers and the US carrier were lost.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 1, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah, people are probably okay with "kill the families of terrorists!" in the abstract. What they wouldn't be okay with is seeing video of a bombed out house with women and children's corpses strewn about.

You give them too little credit.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tigntink posted:

I was just looking back at the 2004 election and it still makes me so depressed. Between Kerry, Dean, and Edwards - Dean was so much more likable and energetic. Edwards was an rear end in a top hat and everything that came out about him and his personal life was horrible. Kerry was just a sad muppet and I never once remember him getting excited about poo poo. He is an amazing statesman but man, not a good candidate. I was 17 and just missed the vote by a month. Killed me :(

I think a lot of people just thought Kerry would counteract the whole war president thing.

He was both a decorated veteran during the Vietnam war AND spoke out against it afterwards! They won't want to touch that.

yeah...

Still I guess we got "swiftboating" as a verb out of it!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Howard Dean got a bunch of piece of poo poo blue dogs elected who held platforms only barely different from the Republicans. Because of them, we got the ACA rather than a public option, and they also held no appeal versus the tea party when 2010 et al came around. He was a terrible leader! In fact without him, the Tea Party wave probably wouldn't have been as bad.

Oh wow and you call me unrealistic. the ACA was the best we could get. Also quite frankly you can blame Obama for not actually leading when he had clear majorities. Also there would have been no ACA or any reform period without him. So he in fact is a great leader. Sorry to hit you with a dose of reality.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, the way the mic wasn't capturing the crowd noise apparently made it seem like he was just yelling for no reason.

I forgot about this part but yes, this was a thing too - I think the camera shot was way too close as well, further reinforcing the idea that Dean was just yelling all by himself rather than working off of the crowd's energy, which may have changed the context of the scream.

Crowsbeak posted:

the ACA was the best we could get

No thread pull up. pull UP. PULL UP

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey I'm sorry but when one considers Obama's refusal to lead at the time, and how we let all the healthcare industry in with the ACA we really were not going to get anything better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh wow and you call me unrealistic. the ACA was the best we could get. Also quite frankly you can blame Obama for not actually leading when he had clear majorities. Also there would have been no ACA or any reform period without him. So he in fact is a great leader. Sorry to hit you with a dose of reality.

Because you are unrealistic. For one thing you think the Democratic base isn't being looked after by the party. Also, Obama was leading plenty - you seem close to being allergic to facts!

Again, no, Dean was absolutely a terrible leader. His 50 state plan was actually a pile of poo poo, since it explicitly hung left politicians out to dry whenever possible to get in Republicans with Ds next to their names. Try actually living in reality for once, instead of whining that DWS is yet another mediocre DNC leader.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Because you are unrealistic. For one thing you think the Democratic base isn't being looked after by the party. Also, Obama was leading plenty - you seem close to being allergic to facts!

Again, no, Dean was absolutely a terrible leader. His 50 state plan was actually a pile of poo poo, since it explicitly hung left politicians out to dry whenever possible to get in Republicans with Ds next to their names. Try actually living in reality for once, instead of whining that DWS is yet another mediocre DNC leader.

How was he leading by telling congress to do the work? Also you seem to equate winning seat with being a terrible leader and losing seats as being a sign of strength. Are you sure you are not posting from the bizzaro universe?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Woof.

Les Moonves: Trump's run is 'drat good for CBS'

quote:

Donald Trump’s candidacy might not be making America great, CBS Chairman Les Moonves said Monday, but it’s great for his company.

"It may not be good for America, but it's drat good for CBS," Moonves said at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference in San Francisco, according to The Hollywood Reporter — perfectly distilling what media critics have long suspected was motivating the round-the-clock coverage of Trump's presidential bid.

"Most of the ads are not about issues. They're sort of like the debates," Moonves said, noting, "[t]here's a lot of money in the marketplace."

The 2016 campaign is a "circus," he remarked, but "Donald's place in this election is a good thing."

"Man, who would have expected the ride we're all having right now? ... The money's rolling in and this is fun," Moonves went on. "I've never seen anything like this, and this going to be a very good year for us. Sorry. It's a terrible thing to say. But, bring it on, Donald. Keep going.”

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm mad as hell - and I'm not gonna take this anymore.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What's his opinion on fiddling while his city of residence is on fire?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just look at those debate ratings and wonder why the media won't stop talking about him 24/7.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

How was he leading by telling congress to do the work? Also you seem to equate winning seat with being a terrible leader and losing seats as being a sign of strength. Are you sure you are not posting from the bizzaro universe?

Because that's part of what leaders do, dear. He won seats in a stupid way that focused on just getting anyone willing to call themselves a Democrat in office, when many of the seats could have been held by a more liberal person who could have won just fine - that's a terrible idea to ensure they stay in office. Especially against, say, a Tea Party type phenomenon of riled up right wingers.

Dean was a terrible planner, and DWS is merely thoroughly mediocre, deal with it. We all know you really only hate her because she won't bend the knee to a maple man.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

7c Nickel posted:

I think a lot of people just thought Kerry would counteract the whole war president thing.

He was both a decorated veteran during the Vietnam war AND spoke out against it afterwards! They won't want to touch that.

yeah...

When I understood this picture - when I figured out what this lady was saying with her lovely little bandaid - that's when I first realized that some people are just vile human beings and should be ignored forever.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Mmmmm isn't there a debate on Thursday for Trump to gloat over at.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aurubin posted:

What's his opinion on fiddling while his city of residence is on fire?

Depends, does he own the fire department?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

So capitalism's discordant motivations brought about by its internal contradictions is triggering and then accelerating the crises that are undoing it? Huh, who'd a thunk it?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So capitalism's discordant motivations brought about by its internal contradictions is triggering and then accelerating the crises that are undoing it? Huh, who'd a thunk it?

That's something to think about. Meanwhile, watch 2 Broke Girls! Thursdays at 9:30 EST, only on CBS; America's most watched network!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

7c Nickel posted:

yeah...

gently caress you for posting this picture reminding us all of that sack of filth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I don't get the band aid reference.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

A purple heart for a scratch that just needs a bandaid.

Of course, a "shrapnel wound" is the same as a paper cut, right?

edit: I should clarify that said shrapnel is still in Kerry to this day.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They just give purple hearts away like candy. If you sprain your ankle you can apply for one.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Hollismason posted:

In which a bunch of obese dipshits make fun of a Silver Star winning combat veteran while lauding the military prowess of a draft dodging chickenhawk who went AWOL from the loving Air National Guard during wartime and faced no consequences.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That Chrome filter that changes Trump to Drumpf from Last Week Tonight makes reading this thread significantly more enjoyable.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

In which a bunch of obese dipshits make fun of a Silver Star winning combat veteran while lauding the military prowess of a draft dodging chickenhawk who went AWOL from the loving Air National Guard during wartime and faced no consequences.

While also blabbering on about support are troops! while lying about wmds to start a needless war.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Because that's part of what leaders do, dear. He won seats in a smartway that focused on just getting anyone willing to call themselves a Democrat in office.

Fixed that for you. You know reality is hard to face

fishmech posted:

Dean was a terrible planner, and DWS is merely thoroughly mediocre, deal with it. We all know you really only hate her because she won't bend the knee to a maple man

She is so mediocre she has helped the Democrats be in their worst position in living memory. Wow that is mediocrity and not flagrant incompetence.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/704489356397027328
referring to
https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/704371093549805569

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Hollismason posted:

John Kerry got "handed" three Purple Hearts that were "undeserved." Also his Silver and Bronze Stars were trumped up. He was against Vietnam you see and therefore that makes him a whiny baby. In fact, we've found this military guy to say that Kerry never really did what his Silver Star stated he did!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVcHghtC0hI

Gregg Abbott refuses to say that Republicans should reject the KKK

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why is Tucker Carlson wearing a regular tie in his Twitter pic, did he finally hit puberty.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Fixed that for you. You know reality is hard to face

She is so mediocre she has helped the Democrats be in their worst position in living memory. Wow that is mediocrity and not flagrant incompetence.

Again, he won seats in a terrible way by focusing on conservative democratic candidates even where liberal ones could win. You're ignorant as hell and should quit while you're ahead.

It/'s again clear that you really only hate her because she doesn't like your candidate, because she is materially no worse than most of the last 20 years of DNC chairs. Learn some history instead of making GBS threads your pants.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

Again, he won seats in a terrible way by focusing on conservative democratic candidates even where liberal ones could win. You're ignorant as hell and should quit while you're ahead.

This isn't responsible for the ACA you doof, the ACA bill we got was the Senate version

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVcHghtC0hI

Gregg Abbott refuses to say that Republicans should reject the KKK

lol of course Abbott would say that. Dude has somehow made Perry and Bush look like reasonable Governors.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Tonk posted:

lol of course Abbott would say that. Dude has somehow made Perry and Bush look like reasonable Governors.

Compared to him they're a couple of upstanding paragons.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

McDowell posted:

I'm mad as hell - and I'm not gonna take this anymore.

Trump's relationship with the media is disturbingly reminiscent of Howard Beale's in the movie Network. Only even more disturbingly, this time Beale's the one running the show.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Abbott just acknowledging Republican reality.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

Romney, Rubio & Cruz: We don't want anything to do with the KKK, we reject everything they stand for

Rest of GOP: Well let's not be too hasty here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fried Chicken posted:

Romney, Rubio & Cruz: We don't want anything to do with the KKK, we reject everything they stand for

Rest of GOP: Well let's not be too hasty here.

If you stand for nothin', you'll fall for anything.

• Locked thread