Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the most delegates on Super Tuesday?
Hillary Clinton
Donald Trump
Bernie Sanders
Jim Gilmore
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember kids, strategic voting is the apotheosis of democracy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Concerned Citizen posted:

It is not the only reason he lost, but it was the decisive factor.

Any of the above are more of a decisive factor than Nader.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Again, just because the Democratic Party is too dumb to try and gobble up apathetic voters and those who would be willing to vote for them if they moved doesn't change the point that the Democratic Party is dumb,

Yes the Democratic party sucks which is why Bernie Sanders is running to be the face of it :downs:

Trying to go after apathetic voters is dumb as well and is a waste of resources, this is literally election politics 101.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That can't be right, the SCOTUS said that voter suppression and racism were solved

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

btw the hogan-gawker sex tape trial starts today. ascension of trumpenreich, and death of clickschool journalism

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Nader gifted us Bush who gifted us the Iraq War who gifted us the rise of Trump.

Let us be thankful to Nader.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Yes the Democratic party sucks which is why Bernie Sanders is running to be the face of it :downs:
Why would you even bring up Sanders to the discussion?

Venom Snake posted:

Trying to go after apathetic voters is dumb as well and is a waste of resources, this is literally election politics 101.
I'm not talking about mobilizing apathetic voters when politicians are campaigning, I'm talking about working on motivating apathetic voters in the long run. The Democrats seemed to motivate the black vote in 2004 significantly but noone else.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Venom Snake posted:

Yes? The majority of the democratic voting base is more to the left than it was in 2008 and 2010. The party gave up on blue dogs a while ago.

The party didn't give up on the blue dogs, the blue dogs gave up on the party and the DNC let them. Face it, the 2014 disaster was, at least in part, due to the DNC letting a bunch of candidates run away from Obama's successes and trying to distance themselves from his politics.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

euphronius posted:

Yahweh is pissed off again. That's his MO

all the firstborn will die before the locust plague until the RNC lets trump take his people to the promised land

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

mike12345 posted:

btw the hogan-gawker sex tape trial starts today. ascension of trumpenreich, and death of clickschool journalism

Hope Hogan can win his case in time to get Trump's VP nomination.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I hope the slime man and little marco both do well enough today that this clown pageant keeps going for a while

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

tranime scholar posted:

The party didn't give up on the blue dogs, the blue dogs gave up on the party and the DNC let them. Face it, the 2014 disaster was, at least in part, due to the DNC letting a bunch of candidates run away from Obama's successes and trying to distance themselves from his politics.

Okay so whats your complaint. You think the dems are to conservative but are also mad they don't pander to blue dogs anymore? These things do not go together.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would you even bring up Sanders to the discussion?

Because he's literal proof the Dems are to the left of were the used to be and the Dems are a lot better than they used to be?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm not talking about mobilizing apathetic voters when politicians are campaigning, I'm talking about working on motivating apathetic voters in the long run. The Democrats seemed to motivate the black vote in 2004 significantly but noone else.

Mobilizing your reliable voter base is how you win. It's how Obama won in 2008 and 2012. Going after people who would probably not vote for you doesn't really work. Of course your correct that planning based on demographic changes is good but barring a massive shift in trends very young voters won't be deciding elections for a while to come.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

lol @ Cruz reprimanding the press on not doing the interview inside the polling place

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oiled and Ready posted:

Steve Deace has been having a nonstop hissy fit for at least 200 hours now and it's great

Your God can't save you now Steve Deuce

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i love steve deace. he has improved every day of mine for like 2 weeks now

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
are there any youtube clips of steve deace melting down?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://twitter.com/Ricky_Vaughn99/status/704708777023512576

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God can someone make up some exit polls or something so we have something to actually talk about.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Korelle posted:

Hope Hogan can win his case in time to get Trump's VP nomination.

Hogan turning his back on Ventura ;_;

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is MSNBC the only channel with coverage right now?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Because he's literal proof the Dems are to the left of were the used to be and the Dems are a lot better than they used to be?
The post I quoted from you didn't even hint as such, and that isn't related to the argument.

Venom Snake posted:

Mobilizing your reliable voter base is how you win. It's how Obama won in 2008 and 2012. Going after people who would probably not vote for you doesn't really work. Of course your correct that planning based on demographic changes is good but barring a massive shift in trends very young voters won't be deciding elections for a while to come.
Obama if anything is proof of the opposite as he showed the advantage of reaching out to apathetic voters. He managed to motivate many black and youth voters, traditionally apathetic voting blocks, to show up to vote for him. The reality is that you have to do both. On off election seasons you push people to your party. During election season you mobilize them. The Democratic Party isn't too good with the former. Ignoring its importance is the Democratic Party's biggest flaw and it is a bit discouraging seeing that it has seeped into the minds of many of its supporters as well.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Mar 1, 2016

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God can someone make up some exit polls or something so we have something to actually talk about.

Donald Trump: 1488%
Marco Rubio: 69%

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Obama if anything is proof of the opposite as he showed the advantage of reaching out to apathetic voters. He managed to motivate many black and youth voters, traditionally apathetic voting blocks, to show up to vote for him. The reality is that you have to do both. On off election seasons you push people to your party. During election season you mobilize them. The Democratic Party isn't too good with the former. Ignoring its importance is the Democratic Party's biggest flaw and it is a bit discouraging seeing that it has seeped into the minds of many of its supporters as well.

Black voters have higher turnout proportionally than any other demographic. I have no idea were you got the idea they were apathetic voters from. The only ones I would describe as apathetic would be the youth vote.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trump winning with 69% of the vote

Gilmore in second with 31%

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

we haven't even gotten halfway through the day and people were already talking about drinking for relief

like lol how sad can people be

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wish every election had a few afternoon caucuses to obsess over while waiting for the primary results.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Black voters have higher turnout proportionally than any other demographic. I have no idea were you got the idea they were apathetic voters from. The only ones I would describe as apathetic would be the youth vote.

They certainly used to vote less than whites until 2004 and especially 2008 gave them a surcharge.

Now this doesn't look as impressive as it should due to the fact that it shows blacks as a whole, but when you separate it by state things do get more impressive. Take North Carolina (Obama's crown gem) for instance:

Notice how many voters carried over to 2012 as well. That is the advantage of reaching out to apathetic voters.

I'm not saying if Democrats focused on reaching out to people who seldom vote and mobilize the would result in the country currently being a pure Democratic stronghold. However I do believe that the party may not be in its current situation of running in circles of what to do with the legislator.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Mar 1, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

They certainly used to vote less than whites until 2004 and especially 2008 gave them a surcharge.

Now this doesn't look as impressive as it should due to the fact that it shows blacks as a whole, but when you separate it by state things do get more impressive. Take North Carolina (Obama's crown gem) for instance:

Notice how many voters carried over to 2012 as well. That is the advantage of reaching out to apathetic voters.

I've got this crazy theory about black turnout in 2008 and 2012. Now, hear me out,

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't disagree but if were talking about the youth vote that becomes a much much larger challenge. Although again all these concerns seem somewhat silly when the solutions for fixing them is happening right as we speak with Bernie doing his whole "Even if I lose I'm going to keep campaigning to get people out and voting". Also Obama has said as much I believe.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Man, it's a lot harder than I thought to find live streams of Super Tuesday coverage. Does anyone have a list, or even a couple of options?

I prefer YouTube streams because I tend to stream from my tablet or Xbone while I'm on the computer or doing other things, but I'm down with whatever.

Here's the C-SPAN link for anyone who's interested: http://www.c-span.org/networks/

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

we haven't even gotten halfway through the day and people were already talking about drinking for relief

like lol how sad can people be

Hey, its midnight here. Pure happenstance.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's not the voters fault that the Democratic Party is ran by idiots.

Politicians are going to respond to actual voters, not non-voters. If right leaning candidates win, candidates will move more to the right to try and capture that vote. No one is going to waste time chasing the enormously unreliable apathetic vote.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Venom Snake posted:

He's proof that a lot of voters are to the left of the Democratic Party, that doesn't prove anything good about the party though

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
these non-party threads are like looking over the berlin wall and wondering wtf the ddr is doing

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

I don't disagree but if were talking about the youth vote that becomes a much much larger challenge. Although again all these concerns seem somewhat silly when the solutions for fixing them is happening right as we speak with Bernie doing his whole "Even if I lose I'm going to keep campaigning to get people out and voting". Also Obama has said as much I believe.

I completely agree that the youth vote is much more difficult to mobilize than the black vote. I also agree that the party is heading in the right direction with this issue. However, it does disappointment me seeing so many people become so dismissive on the idea of expanding the voter pool of the party, especially for the tons of apathetic voters who overwhelmingly lean to the left. To me I find this, Sanders will lose the election if nominated and you are stupid for voting for him, and the lowered expectations are the quarks of Hillary supporters as much as "revolution or die" and "stupid low information minoritiy voters" are with Sanders supporters.

It's very frustrating to me.

Vox Nihili posted:

I've got this crazy theory about black turnout in 2008 and 2012. Now, hear me out,

No it wasn't just because Obama was black. Black turnout for these primaries will likely be high too if SC is anything to go by.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Venom Snake posted:

Okay so whats your complaint. You think the dems are to conservative but are also mad they don't pander to blue dogs anymore? These things do not go together.

Don't really know where you got that I wanted them to pander to blue dogs. The opposite, actually. They should stop running boring, lovely center-right candidates and then wondering why people picked the real deal over Republican Lite.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL Trump rally in Ohio today. They're not even voting!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

LOL Trump rally in Ohio today. They're not even voting!

Oh god, where in Ohio?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

can a primary result come in already so this thread stops talking about bush v. loving gore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Homework Explainer posted:

can a primary result come in already so this thread stops talking about bush v. loving gore

Just over six hours until the first polls close

• Locked thread