Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is Mattress Firm a ripoff for buying a mattress? My 200 dollar one is killing me and I've decided to be an adult and invest in my sleep. I'd like a chain store so I can go try it out. I don't know what my budget is but I'm not spending 5k. I'm thinking 1k if I absolutely love it.

I live in Las Vegas if anyone knows of anything region specific.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

What size mattress are you looking for? Do you like firm, soft, do you sleep "hot," etc.?

It's very difficult to get a good "feel" for a mattress lying on one for five minutes in a store, since you presumably sleep for hours and not minutes. You can get a decent mattress at Mattress Firm, but whether it's your best bet is dependent on exactly what you're looking for in a mattress.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Queen, I would say soft, I wouldn't say I sleep hot or cold. I think feather beds/feather pillows are the most comfortable things ever.

I will also be shopping for not-crap sheets and pillows.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I got a leesa. loving amaaaazing mattress

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Duvel posted:

Never heard of this it might be exactly what I'm looking for.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Looking for some wireless earbuds to take to the gym. I've been reading mostly on the Jlab Epics and Jaybird X2's but I'm open to suggestions. $150 is about my upper limit.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Captain Duvel posted:

I got a Leesa too, and have been loving it. Perfect balance of firmness and give to the foam.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hamsystem posted:

Looking for some wireless earbuds to take to the gym. I've been reading mostly on the Jlab Epics and Jaybird X2's but I'm open to suggestions. $150 is about my upper limit.

I am very happy with my Jaybird Xs, and have only heard better things of the X2s.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
I know basically no one uses a dedicated MP3 player anymore, but does anyone know of a good one? I'm looking for something physically small, supports Bluetooth, and has/supports up to at least 64 GB of storage (it's okay if that would require adding a micro SD card to it). Preferably under $50. I see a lot of ~$30 ones online, but I worry about their quality, so I was just hoping someone has used one that wasn't poo poo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

McOgre posted:

I know basically no one uses a dedicated MP3 player anymore, but does anyone know of a good one? I'm looking for something physically small, supports Bluetooth, and has/supports up to at least 64 GB of storage (it's okay if that would require adding a micro SD card to it). Preferably under $50. I see a lot of ~$30 ones online, but I worry about their quality, so I was just hoping someone has used one that wasn't poo poo.

Sansa Clip? Not sure if it supports Bluetooth though.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Rolo posted:

Is Mattress Firm a ripoff for buying a mattress? My 200 dollar one is killing me and I've decided to be an adult and invest in my sleep. I'd like a chain store so I can go try it out. I don't know what my budget is but I'm not spending 5k. I'm thinking 1k if I absolutely love it.

I bought this mattress from Sam's Club a few weeks ago and I love it. Have slept better in the last couple weeks that I ever have.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

hamsystem posted:

I'm quite happy with my Plantronics Backbeat Fit earbuds. Good sound quality, battery lasts a long time. http://amzn.com/B00KJLMBQQ

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Chas McGill posted:

Sansa Clip? Not sure if it supports Bluetooth though.

The original Sansa Clip+ has been discontinued and is now $80.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm quite happy with my Plantronics Backbeat Fit earbuds. Good sound quality, battery lasts a long time. http://amzn.com/B00KJLMBQQ

I was looking at these too. Have you worn them with glasses of any kind and how comfortable is it?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

hamsystem posted:

I was looking at these too. Have you worn them with glasses of any kind and how comfortable is it?

I haven't worn these with glasses but I have ridden them with bike helmet and they are super comfortable. They're my go to wireless headphones.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Worn them with my Ray Ban wireframes and they're okay. Earspace gets crowded.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Etrips posted:

The original Sansa Clip+ has been discontinued and is now $80.

Oops, still living in 2012 clearly

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

SpartanIV posted:

I haven't worn these with glasses but I have ridden them with bike helmet and they are super comfortable. They're my go to wireless headphones.

Dick Trauma posted:

Worn them with my Ray Ban wireframes and they're okay. Earspace gets crowded.

Ok cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably get them since I will use them indoors 99% of the time and they're the cheapest of all that I've looked at.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Any recommendations for light weight / portable PDAs other than Android/iOS?
Palm Pilots are neato, but I'm looking for anything else that might be out there.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Whats a good VR headset that's compatible with an iPhone? I would prefer it with a head strap of sorts.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Can anyone recommend a good athletic pant for roller derby? All the derby wear places seem to carry shorts and tights only.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rolo posted:

I got a Sealy Lakehurst from Mattress Firm and I love the hell out of it. It fits within your budget too, and Mattress Firm has financing options.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

queserasera posted:

Can anyone recommend a good athletic pant for roller derby? All the derby wear places seem to carry shorts and tights only.

Prana Zion for men, whatever the equivalent is for women with the stretch Zion fabric.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Panda Time posted:

Any recommendations for light weight / portable PDAs other than Android/iOS?
Palm Pilots are neato, but I'm looking for anything else that might be out there.

Windows RT is really the only other mainstream mobile OS besides Android and iOS.

Ubuntu was developing a mobile OS at one point but I'm pretty sure its been abandoned.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Geoj posted:

Windows RT is really the only other mainstream mobile OS besides Android and iOS.

Ubuntu was developing a mobile OS at one point but I'm pretty sure its been abandoned.
It's all very confusing, but Microsoft has had phone OSes called Windows Mobile and Windows Phone (current) and in the future it will be called Windows 10 Mobile again. Windows RT is in fact a wholly different thing that was meant for tablets. You can't buy anything new anymore running Windows RT and development on it has stopped.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Thanks again for the back beat fit recommendations. They arrived today and I really liked them the 20 or so minutes I played around with them.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
Anyone here have one of those fancy Miele vacuums Sweethome is recommending? I have a cat who loves to shed and also loves to spread Dr Elsey's clay litter all over the place so I need something to pick up all that junk.

Currently I have a lovely Dirt Devil that sprays clay everywhere when I run it over a litter spill. Can anyone comment on Miele or recommend another vacuum that fits my situation?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

7of7 posted:

Anyone here have one of those fancy Miele vacuums Sweethome is recommending? I have a cat who loves to shed and also loves to spread Dr Elsey's clay litter all over the place so I need something to pick up all that junk.

Currently I have a lovely Dirt Devil that sprays clay everywhere when I run it over a litter spill. Can anyone comment on Miele or recommend another vacuum that fits my situation?

One of my friends who has a mildly autistic obsession with vacuums swears by them and that massive Reddit vacuum repair thread series also said they're the best. I can't afford one yet but it's on my list.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I have a Miele. It's good. To be honest though my roomba does more cleaning and costs less. Yes I've spent a lot on dumb cleaning poo poo.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have any good inexpensive tablet suggestions. I have two kids that are 7 & 8 and they currently have 1st Gen Kindle Fires. They both still work but lately there have been more and more games and apps that are not compatible with them so I am thinking about upgrading them to something newer. I don't really want to do another Fire tablet but i do want Android based. The Fire's are just too locked down into Amazon's stuff and I want to be able to easily run the Google Play store and other stuff without having to mess with them. Unless of course they have mad that easier in the newer versions.

What I want:
8" to 10" display
Android OS
Under $150 each if possible, the cheaper the better but i don't want junk that wont last.
I am ok with older gen models if they are good
Prefer not another Fire unless they changed it so Play Store and other stuff are easy to use.
Parental controls (one thing I do like from Amazon Fire)

colas
Feb 14, 2007

7of7 posted:

Currently I have a lovely Dirt Devil that sprays clay everywhere when I run it over a litter spill.

I hate this. I just want a decent vacuum that doesn't do this. Something simple, I don't need attachments and other bullshit. I'm tempted to get an older or commercial vacuum because all the new ones are trying too hard. They look like this, wtf is this supposed to be? -

Anyone have a shark? The shark looks pretty decent.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Rolo posted:

Leesa, Tuft and Needle, Casper, etc. are currently the "hot newness" when it comes to mattresses - they represent a new generation of online-order, mattress-in-a-box companies that primarily make artificial latex "memory foam" mattresses. You're probably going to get a lot of people in the thread mentioning them. Each of the companies has a differing level of customer support and skeeviness (which is endemic to the entire mattress industry, don't get me started), but the primary complaint for all of them is that they are too hard, that they retain too much heat, and that they literally stink.

Personally (I have a spinal injury that's going to require surgery and weeks if not months of recovery time, so I haven't had it fixed yet) I can't deal with an excessively firm mattress. I went to a Mattress Firm (Mattress Firm, Mattress Warehouse, Sleepy's, etc. all being very similar), and laid around on different beds until I found a nice Queen set that didn't hurt my back. Laid on it for around 45 min reading a book until I was convinced it was good and was out the door for $1900. My recommendation is to do something similar - be prepared to spend a few hours on something you're gonna be spending 1/3 of the next 5 years of you life on, go to a store, try different ones, pick a couple that seems comfortable when you lay on them for ~5 min, and lay on them for a longer period. Get the most comfortable one. I ended up with a Stearns and Foster, but was also looking at a Seely and TempurPedic.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

colas posted:

I hate this. I just want a decent vacuum that doesn't do this. Something simple, I don't need attachments and other bullshit. I'm tempted to get an older or commercial vacuum because all the new ones are trying too hard. They look like this, wtf is this supposed to be? -

I have a shark navigatior liftway pro and I'm quite happy with it. It was my first decent vacuum and it's been perfect for the ~3 years I've had it so far. Doesn't throw cat litter around, though if you have really really low carpet I could see maybe it would.

The sweethome named the shark their best cheap vacuum, if you take any stock in what they have to say.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-cheap-vacuum/

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Trastion posted:

Anyone have any good inexpensive tablet suggestions. I have two kids that are 7 & 8 and they currently have 1st Gen Kindle Fires. They both still work but lately there have been more and more games and apps that are not compatible with them so I am thinking about upgrading them to something newer. I don't really want to do another Fire tablet but i do want Android based. The Fire's are just too locked down into Amazon's stuff and I want to be able to easily run the Google Play store and other stuff without having to mess with them. Unless of course they have mad that easier in the newer versions.

What I want:
8" to 10" display
Android OS
Under $150 each if possible, the cheaper the better but i don't want junk that wont last.
I am ok with older gen models if they are good
Prefer not another Fire unless they changed it so Play Store and other stuff are easy to use.
Parental controls (one thing I do like from Amazon Fire)

So I am looking at the Lenovo Tab2 8". Anyone have any views on this tablet?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

colas posted:

Buy a Shop Vac.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

colas posted:

That's also one I was leaning towards. I think it's the NV352. It looks so chintzy (and has lots of infomercials which is rarely a sign of a good product) but if you can really get 80% of the way to the suckitude of the $400 Miele models with a $150 model like the Sweethome people say I guess it's worth it.

Anything to never again wake up with a piece of cat litter gravel jabbing me in the back.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Robawesome posted:

Buy a Shop Vac.

for the living room?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

colas posted:

for the living room?

Sure. It will stay in the closet anyway so looks don't matter, Shop Vacs (not necessarily that brand) are notoriously powerful and will avoid your aforementioned spraying. I have one at work for sawdust and plaster I got at Home Depot for $69, a small cordless Dewalt one for small spills at home and cleaning my car. Admittedly I also have a Dyson for my carpets but it does have the issue of spraying litter. I just deal with it, but using a shop-vac would solve that. If you're planning on vacuuming your hardwood/laminate then, although maybe a bit more cumbersome, a Shopvac would be fine. If you're talking about carpets then you probably want to stick with the power head style of a traditional vacuum than the straight hose.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Leesa, Tuft and Needle, Casper, etc. are currently the "hot newness" when it comes to mattresses - they represent a new generation of online-order, mattress-in-a-box companies that primarily make artificial latex "memory foam" mattresses. You're probably going to get a lot of people in the thread mentioning them. Each of the companies has a differing level of customer support and skeeviness (which is endemic to the entire mattress industry, don't get me started), but the primary complaint for all of them is that they are too hard, that they retain too much heat, and that they literally stink.

Personally (I have a spinal injury that's going to require surgery and weeks if not months of recovery time, so I haven't had it fixed yet) I can't deal with an excessively firm mattress. I went to a Mattress Firm (Mattress Firm, Mattress Warehouse, Sleepy's, etc. all being very similar), and laid around on different beds until I found a nice Queen set that didn't hurt my back. Laid on it for around 45 min reading a book until I was convinced it was good and was out the door for $1900. My recommendation is to do something similar - be prepared to spend a few hours on something you're gonna be spending 1/3 of the next 5 years of you life on, go to a store, try different ones, pick a couple that seems comfortable when you lay on them for ~5 min, and lay on them for a longer period. Get the most comfortable one. I ended up with a Stearns and Foster, but was also looking at a Seely and TempurPedic.

To add to this, I have a Leesa mattress. I like it. It cost under $1000. I am very happy with it as a mattress that cost me under $1000. I would buy it again if I didn't have a bunch of money to spend and I'd recommend it to friends looking for something inexpensive yet comfortable.

That said, if you're willing/able to spend more on your mattress, you probably should. You spend a lot of time in bed and it's worth an investment. Internet mattresses are definitely way better than anybody should expect, but there are higher quality options to be had if you're willing to pay for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Trastion posted:

So I am looking at the Lenovo Tab2 8". Anyone have any views on this tablet?

No clue I went cheap with both my previous tablets and they were both rear end. My latest a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Is pretty awesome. Might want to get a case though. The only issue might be that its around 2 years old and runs kitkat which is as far as I'm concerned a plus.