Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the most delegates on Super Tuesday?
Hillary Clinton
Donald Trump
Bernie Sanders
Jim Gilmore
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De La Fuente Guerramentum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

it's pretty cool that marco's strategy has gone from 3-2-1 to "let's cause a contested convention"

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The information is trickling out pretty slowly. Have another drop:

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/704796455848923136

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/704795834764783617

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slate Action posted:

The information is trickling out pretty slowly. Have another drop:

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/704796455848923136

It's kinda nice we have 2 experienced people running instead of the retarded clowns in the GOP primary. Nothing but freshman senators and Trump lol.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
That political experience question is so loving stupid.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Typical Pubbie posted:

Why?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want to know what people who don't want it more liberal than Obama want exactly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Continue Obama's policies vs. more liberal though is a pretty solid clinton/sanders proxy.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typical Pubbie posted:

Wanting an experienced candidate is a good thing. It's almost like the dem base would be happy with Hillary or Bernie.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Because the only two viable candidates each have decades of political experience.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

poty posted:

Bernie has political experience. Hasn't he been a senator for the last 50 years?

Bernie Sanders:
-Mayor of Burlington, VT (1981-1989)
-U.S. Representative (1991-2007)
-U.S. Senator (2007-present)

Hillary Clinton:
-First Lady of Arkansas (1979-1981, 1983-1992)
-First Lady of the U.S. (1993-2001)
-U.S. Senator (2001-2009)
-Secretary of State (2009-2013)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Fox news coming back from commercial to bon jovi, then plays clip of Gingrich sounding giddy about trump

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

Continue Obama's policies vs. more liberal though is a pretty solid clinton/sanders proxy.

If you take it as an exact proxy then the result is Clinton +22, whereas the RCP average for the Dem VA race was.... Clinton +21.5.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Typical Pubbie posted:

Because the only two viable candidates each have decades of political experience.

I think it's a good question, especially if it can be compared to the responses to a similar republican question.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
e: beaten

evilweasel posted:

56 to 34 is right on the money for the RCP polling average as well :eyepoop:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Hannity talking about exit polls:

Alabama - Trump
Georgia - Trump
Tennessee - Trump

Arkansas - Trump/Cruz?

Oklahoma - Trump/Cruz
Virginia - Rubio and Trump are fighting it out - could be close. They are saying WATCH for Northern Virginia.
VT - Trump/Kasich fighting it out

Texas - Cruz running away with it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Vermont Democratic Black vote is 1% according to exit polls :aaaaa:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That is not what that says.
What is not what that says? I said a judge opened discovery and was asked for a source. In that article:

“The court-ordered discovery will help determine why the State Department and Mrs. Clinton, even despite receiving numerous FOIA requests, kept the record system secret for years,” Fitton said. “While Mrs. Clinton’s testimony may not be required initially, it may happen that her testimony is necessary for the Court to resolve the legal issues about her unprecedented email practices.”

Yeah, the other stuff I said after providing the source is different and is related to the nature of the violations being investigated, and is not related to the article I sourced.

Venom Snake posted:

Of which there is no proof yet. This the exact same ANYDAY NOW stuff we got during Bengazhi when THIS was FINALLY the investigation, subpoena, ect that would reveal the truth and bring her down. Funny enough it made her more popular.

It is not highly questionable. While I believe that Bernies chance of losing would be low, it is a thing. Again I say this as someone who voted for Bernie today. There are a lot of people in situations were they can't afford to take anything but the safest bet.
But how do you know Hillary is the safest bet, is my point... You say it's not highly questionable but I've given reasons why I say it is.

Also, from that article about the judge's order:
"Sullivan’s decision will almost certainly extend through Election Day an inquiry that has dogged Clinton’s campaign, frustrating allies and providing fodder to Republican opponents."

You may just think it's all bullshit but even if so, having an ongoing federal investigation looming throughout the entire election cycle seems like a fairly bad thing, to me. The FBI is on this, not just Republican party hacks.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Schnorkles posted:

Marco's campaign is really grasping at any straw they can right now.

tbf, I don't blame him. Getting stomped by donald trump must be a particular form of humiliating.

It's really interesting to me that he's acting this desperate, honestly. There's no particular reason why losing the nomination - especially in this insane election, of all elections - would be the end of the world for him. He's young, he's got plenty of time.

Is it insecurity? Or a push from backers who want Rubio to try something, anything to stop Trump? Or something else?

It seems like this kind of clowning could seriously damage him for any future elections (e.g. Florida governor in '18). But if the GOP really does become the Party of Trump, I guess that kind of attitude could be a plus?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Venom Snake posted:

Can this be the nail in the coffin for all the bullshit that Dems would cross over to vote Trump, the candidate with 0 political experience.

20% is still a significant chunk, and even 1-2% of Democrats switching over would have a huge effect on results

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Make American Samoa Great Again

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Montasque posted:

Hannity talking about exit polls:

Alabama - Trump
Georgia - Trump
Tennessee - Trump

Arkansas - Trump/Cruz?

Oklahoma - Trump/Cruz
Virginia - Rubio and Trump are fighting it out - could be close. They are saying WATCH for Northern Virginia.

Texas - Cruz running away with it.

This is super significant, actually. If no single candidate universally gets 2nd to Trump, tonight is going to be an absolute shitshow. Rubio scoring a 1st and a whole bunch of thirds is maybe even worse than solid 2nds across the board.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/vtcraghead/status/704730376359567361

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brannock posted:

20% is still a significant chunk, and even 1-2% of Democrats switching over would have a huge effect on results

Everything points towards Trump having no cross appeal and him actually motivating dems to vote more, so I don't see how this would happen. And even if whites did break harder the minority vote would crush that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Montasque posted:

Fight the darkness :unsmith:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pinterest Mom posted:

Stannis gonna win it!? :unsmigghh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had no idea about this Democrats Abroad thing when I filled out the form from my most recently resided in state to send me a ballot here in Japan. There was a check box if I wanted a primary ballot too and I checked that, but that's all. I wonder if I screwed up...

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Mar 1, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bernie White? Checks out.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I have to admit to a little bit of sick satisfaction that Hillary is getting pointlessly trolled by black people the same way Bernie was.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lol, Bernie was wise to do that big donation push before Super Tuesday, because he's gonna get smacked the gently caress down today

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Joementum posted:

De La Fuente Guerramentum

Who is that Rocky guy and how did he get on the ballot in so many states?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

Lol, Bernie was wise to do that big donation push before Super Tuesday, because he's gonna get smacked the gently caress down today

thats not far off from how NH and Iowa polled on that same question iirc

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

berserker posted:

Nah man not with our first-past-the-post system. That's gotta change first. Until that happens, if you wanna do good and feel good with regards to voting for those who are closest to your policy ideals, do it downticket. That's the best way to get a 3rd party more viable anyway, through bottom up growth at the state and municipal level. But when it comes to President, and especially this election season re: SCOTUS appointments, voting third party going to accomplish nothing but being a spoiler to one of the two parties.

You can do all those things at the same time. Nothing's ever going to change about our FPTP system unless there's some huge seismic shift in the way politics works in this country. You're basically just waiting passively for the current system to fail so badly that the elites are finally forced to reform the system in order to prevent even worse consequences to themselves. How do you think that's going to happen? What do you think that's going to look like?

Your argument that voting third party will lead to disastrous consequences in the near-term fails to account for the fact that every cycle spent perpetuating the current system is guaranteeing an even greater disaster sometime in the future. The FPTP system is only going to go away in one of two ways:

1) Enough people stop using the lesser-of-two-evils argument to prop up the current system and start simply voting for the candidates who best represent them, disrupting the system peacefully in a movement that builds momentum gradually as voting third party in protest becomes more and more normalized.

2) A sudden, severe societal crisis shocks the elites into changing the system.

Personally, I'd prefer the first option. I find the bottom up growth strategy unconvincing in isolation, because a grassroots party may start out anti-FPTP but gradually become corrupted as it gains in power and actually stands to benefit from the FPTP system, or else it may become directly co-opted by one of the two major entrenched parties. If the system hasn't already been disrupted at the top in a national mass movement, then any grassroots effort may be inevitably doomed to fail anyway.All these arguments against voting third party are ultimately predicated on the notion that the change will come automatically someday, without anyone ever actually doing anything that might ever have any kind of measurable effect.

None of us really knows which strategy is better for society in the long-term. Everyone on the lesser-of-two-evils train is constantly thinking in terms of single upcoming elections, and every single one of those elections is always the most important election ever that we absolutely can't afford to lose, lest untold numbers of people suffer horribly and die. Hey, maybe the reason every single election ever is like that is because everyone keeps voting for the lesser of two evils, rather than the candidate who isn't even evil in the first place?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

Bernie White? Checks out.

Maybe at your country club. Certainly not at mine though.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Pinterest Mom posted:

That slogan will end up on a recruitment poster for trump's goldshirts.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

None of us really knows which strategy is better for society in the long-term. Everyone on the lesser-of-two-evils train is constantly thinking in terms of single upcoming elections, and every single one of those elections is always the most important election ever that we absolutely can't afford to lose, lest untold numbers of people suffer horribly and die. Hey, maybe the reason every single election ever is like that is because everyone keeps voting for the lesser of two evils, rather than the candidate who isn't even evil in the first place?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
it really sucks that hillary killed biden's son

I would have loved to see the havoc diamond joe would have brought

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Is Vermont voting for Hillary Clinton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

evilweasel posted:

Yep

• Locked thread