Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: That's true as gently caress.

There was a two month gap between my predecessor departing and me arriving, and the guy that sits at the next desk started about two months before all that and will likely PCS at around the 1-year mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In my last job in the military, the guy I was replacing PCSd the first week I was there. The other two people in the shop barely knew how to do the job and were afraid to do anything that was outside of the scope of what they were taught. One PCSd as well and the other was supposed to PCS but lost it and then got moved to a new section. Within a month or two, I had been in the shop the longest and they added two more people. I had to remake every resource we had and rewrite every SOP. The "SOPs" I had been given were nothing more than a sheet of paper with a few vague sentences written on it. Doesn't help that the job was entirely made up in the first place.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Even if you do get adequate time to learn your job from a subject matter expert, once they are gone there will be someone(s) with more rank who will happily roll up their sleeves and instruct you to ignore everything that your predecessor taught you.

The story ends with my company commander sitting in the COC, head in hands, wondering if his illumination fire mission really just ignited a mosque.

gently caress me, right? :smuggo:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

jerman999 posted:

Have you thought about getting an attorney involved?

What will that achieve?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

xthetenth posted:

At this rate I'm hoping technology makes enough of a dent in skilcraft sales that they could get some of their workers doing paperwork instead of the people they have now.

You'd just end up with the Lighthouse dudes...

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Victor Vermis posted:

Even if you do get adequate time to learn your job from a subject matter expert, once they are gone there will be someone(s) with more rank who will happily roll up their sleeves and instruct you to ignore everything that your predecessor taught you.

The story ends with my company commander sitting in the COC, head in hands, wondering if his illumination fire mission really just ignited a mosque.

gently caress me, right? :smuggo:

lol I intentionally landed a 120 illum in a dude's back yard & burned his tree down, if you can't figure out height of burst math then quit life

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

McNally posted:

What will that achieve?

1. hopefully get you squared away
2. potentially improve the situation for others

I said potentially, don't pick on me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Tremblay posted:

1. hopefully get you squared away
2. potentially improve the situation for others

I said potentially, don't pick on me.

I'm already squared away, it just required more steps than was necessary to get there. I fully intend on telling my casualty assistance officer what his office is doing wrong so he can run it up the flagpole.

Lawyering up will just end up costing me money, I think. Like I said before, you can't sue the army for being the army.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

No but shaming your enemy can yield better results. Go public

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

I fully intend on telling my casualty assistance officer what his office is doing wrong so he can run it up the flagpole.

He will likely not do this in any meaningful way because it will hurt his career.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Run him up on your flagpole, instead.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I am an Expeditor, and although many believe they are in charge of the flight line, I can assure you this is not so. The expeditor, the man behind the wheel, is the real king and the ruler of the flight line. Right now it is 0,Dark thirty, the flight line is quiet. Off in the distance a lone power unit happily mumbles to itself. It is that time when everything that can be done is done, yet the time for everything to startup once again is not upon us. There are no blue buses streaming across the ramp filled with crews and passengers, the cargo loaders have yet to begin their crawl across the flight line, their backs loaded down with equipment, parts, supplies and mail. The Fuel trucks are still waiting to go sloshing along with JP4 and lining up behind aircraft to begin feeding the hungry bellies of aircraft for their long flights across the oceans to far away lands.
Soon the flight line will be crawling with people, equipment, maintenance stands and expediter trucks. But for now, all is quiet, my maintenance crews are inside the hangar sitting in the break room eating their lunches, drinking coffee, playing spades or slamming bones. In the backs of their minds they all know that soon the day will start and they will have to scramble to aid the flight crews, respond to last minute maintenance problems or man stations in preparation for fueling. I alone wait at the maintenance entrance of the hangar and survey my domain. Here, at this time, this moment, this place, I am ruler. I stand with my legs slightly apart, shoulders back and head held high as I observe the dark shapes of the aircraft sitting silently upon the ramp waiting for the day to begin.
The hangar behind me is a behemoth of a building, standing eighty feet high, it is a metal, concrete and glass monster covering more that eight acres of land and capable of housing eight of the worlds largest aircraft. Inside of this building it is a small city within itself, there are roads, buildings, shops and storage facilities, capable of manufacture or supplying the parts and equipment necessary to keep the aircraft flying. So large is this building that it has its own atmosphere, able to produce clouds and even rain. When it is quiet like this, just dropping a small bolt will send echoes across the hangars mighty walls and ceilings. The sound bouncing from one hard concrete and steel structure to the next, until it finally fades away into its distance bowels.
In one hand I hold a clip board with all the missions, and the names of the crews that I have assigned to specific aircraft. On its pages there are fuel loads, and crew rosters, departure times and maintenance priorities, this is my world my domain my kingdom and these are my plans for carrying out my mission. The coffee cup in my other hand holds a brew that comes from an earn which constantly brews a black substance that at one time in the far distant past could have been recognized as coffee. However, that day has long past. Still, it is hot, and has enough caffeine to raise the dead. Let me state here for the record, I am not a big man, in my stocking feet I stand a half an inch short of five foot eight. I weigh one hundred and sixty pounds, all of which is bone muscle and sinew, one hundred percent, USAF high grade Technical Sergeant, trained, honed and tempered in the fire and ice of the flight line. While I stand in the shadows of this giant building I am but a minor presence to its greatness. The clipboard in my hand weighs heavy with responsibility. The missions are real world, the shipments to these far off lands, contain food, and medical supplies, vehicle parts, replacement vehicles and armaments to needy Army, Marines, and Air Force Airmen around the world. More importantly is the mail from loved ones, Mothers, fathers, husbands and wives, letting those men and women who defend our country know they are still loved and needed back home. My job is important, my mission is to make sure that no aircraft is delayed in its departure and that all the needs of those who so desperately wish to come home are met. So while I am king, I also know the crown that sits upon my head weighs heavily. For this reason I have worries and concerns, I understand that these aircraft are complicated, with hundreds of miles of cables, wires, and hydraulic lines. Electronic components, micro switches, computers, pressure sensors, transducers, relays, environmental systems, O2 lines, Liquid Oxygen converters, heat exchangers, air cycle machines, air diverters, dampers, hydraulic actuators, pitch trim motors. HF, UHF, VHF, Radar, Audio Directional Finders, TACAN, Inertial Navigation Systems. Auto Throttle, Auto Pilot, Horizontal Situation Indicators. Air Speed Indicators, N2 and N2 RPM indicators. Exhaust Gas Tempters indicators, Engine Pressure Indicators and a list of a hundred other things that can and will go wrong. And it is I that will have to respond to each and every one of these emergencies in a timely and orderly fashion. It is I, that will have to assign the repair crews that will resolve these problems, making sure that each and every aircraft departs on time. In a few hours I will be ordering parts, answering radios, assigning task, and directing fuel crews, repair teams, and delivering parts, test equipment and technical data to the places where they are needed. I will be answering a thousand questions, and asking as many back. There will be, Estimated Time of Completion ETIC, ASAP, Blue Flame, Red Streak, Maintenance Priority, work unit codes, Technical Orders (TO) Line Items, Ramp Loads, Fuel Loads, Rhino Jacks, Shrader valves, High Packs, Low Packs, Nut Plates, Static Eliminators. B-1 stands, B-4 Stands, Chocks, Gear pins, head sets, marshalling paddles, safety vest, wing walkers, Launch Crews, Recovery Crews, -------------- Ahhh!!!!!!!!!!.
But I am King, this is but another day, one among many, and I will prevail, I know this because I have prevailed and I will do so again. But for this time between what has happened and what will happen I can for a moment stand and survey all that is around me with a kind of tranquility and peace. It is the twilight of a new day and all is quiet. I am King.
Have you ever had to pass gas, really bad? Dumb question, everyone at one time or other has had too. It is a natural event, one of Gods little jokes. His way of letting you know, no matter how great you think you are, or how serious the situation is, you are still human. The flight line is dark and quiet I look around and there is no one close by. I am alone and safe in the assumption that no one will be present to witness my release. So, with this in mind I let one rip and it was a good one! A real thunder bumper!
There are two things wrong with this. First I am standing in front of one the worlds largest echo chambers where the smallest pin drop becomes a thunderous avalanche of sound. Second, while I checked all around to make sure that no one was present I did not check behind me. Too late---- Brrrrrrap, brrrrrap, brrrap, brrap, brap, the sounds goes bouncing of the walls of the hangar across the great expanse of this monstrous cavern. Only to return, Brap, Brrap, Brrrrap, BRRAP! I turn around and see Clarence, my number one, my second in command, the go to guy, the man who if I die will take charge and handle things. He is slightly taller than me, heavier in build and as black in color as I am white. At the moment he is in total shock, his eyes are as round as saucers and I can see the whites all around his dark almost black irises. People are beginning to come out of their offices and break rooms, they are looking around in confusion and dismay trying to determine what the loud and unusual sound was and where it came from. Then Clarence bust up laughing, he has a deep voice, rich and powerful. And his voice carries to the rafters and across the great expanse of the hangar. When he stops laughing he finally looks at the people standing around with questions written on their faces and says, “Okay people! Load up, it’s time to go to work.” Then he looks a me and says, “The King has Spoken

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Soulex posted:

Brrrrrrap

I give up, Guy Murchie or Antoine de Saint-Exupéry?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

He will likely not do this in any meaningful way because it will hurt his career.

I'm not saying to tell him to tell his superiors to get hosed. I'm just saying "hey, write this down for future reference: You can't get W-2s through the IRS, why are you even trying you idiots, and you don't need to go to legal for a letter of administration, go to the courthouse with these two documents."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
he doesn't care

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

I'm not saying to tell him to tell his superiors to get hosed. I'm just saying "hey, write this down for future reference: You can't get W-2s through the IRS, why are you even trying you idiots, and you don't need to go to legal for a letter of administration, go to the courthouse with these two documents."

That might help a person or two until that guy moves on to whatever's next. Meanwhile, the institutional stupidity will continue loving over everyone else who wasn't as smart/persistent as you.

The problem is that somebody DOES need to tell his superiors to get hosed. Somebody much higher on the food chain than they are.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

That might help a person or two until that guy moves on to whatever's next. Meanwhile, the institutional stupidity will continue loving over everyone else who wasn't as smart/persistent as you.

The problem is that somebody DOES need to tell his superiors to get hosed. Somebody much higher on the food chain than they are.

Hmm. Good point.

Guess I should draft a letter that I can send to different individuals, then. Just change out the headers.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

McNally posted:

Hmm. Good point.

Guess I should draft a letter that I can send to different individuals, then. Just change out the headers.

Just head it with "To whichever gormless oxygen-wasting fuckwit it may concern," and you're set.

benem
Feb 15, 2012
CAO is like a temporary duty assigned by DA6 to basically anyone in a random given unit, right?

(It probably shouldn't be)

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Yes. You take a two day course and then provided you're present and above the rank of the person that died, congratulations, you get to be a CAO.

When it comes to loving over the (likely civilian-run) Casualty Assistance office, I say go for it. I had to deal with them a few times for 15-6 investigations, and it was consistently the worst experience I had dealing with agencies on post run by civilians, and that's saying a lot.

McNally, even if you're not planning on going anywhere with a formal complaint, it can't hurt to keep a log of who you spoke to, when, and what the general conversation was. That way if you decide to do a congressional, which I fully recommend you do, you've got a lot of the paperwork you'd need to make it stick. I've seen congressionals work before in terms of making lasting change. It is possible.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The day I ripped rear end so loudly on an open flightline that it was heard over the sound of remotely piloted airplanes coming to life was one of the proudest days of my life

The fact that it was so bad that guys who were with me started gagging even though we were outside was pretty sweet too

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

hogmartin posted:

I give up, Guy Murchie or Antoine de Saint-Exupéry?

Someone on rally point

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I know that's story's bullshit because Clarence didn't call you a nasty motherfucker with a loose o-ring from taking it up the rear end, then you didn't respond by telling him to shut up and go back to being a house slave. Also neither of you were drunk. 0/10 my immersion

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
However that story is exactly how every Fuels NCO thinks

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Idiot bummer story time, because I'm angry and I've been reminded of it again. Also, I've had a beer.
Because it's 30 years ago that idiocy got 16 young conscripts killed in a horrible way during excercise Anchor Express 1986.
They were from my company, although when I was in they were all 14 years dead.
I had the honor of being in the honor guard at the annual company memorial 16 years ago.

survivor posted:

We'd heard it in the biouvac the night before. Something moved upvalley. Something big.
It sounded like a heavy tank was rumbling around up there.
The snow made sounds we'd never heard before, sounds we didn't know snow could make.
Everybody were nervous, Lt. had tried to pull us out but he was overruled by higher command, they needed the
axis of advance we were preparing for the excercise scenario.
They didn't even check with excercise safety who we later learned had closed the valley as too dangerous the day before.
It was lunacy. 31 went upvalley, 15 came back. They sent us in to die.
Soldiers from 2nd. plt, cbt. eng. coy, 2. bn. Norwegian Army, Vassdalen, 1986.
Digging to make a passable axis for light tracked vehicles. About 30 minutes before most of them die.

Surprise avalanche! (Not actually a suprise) They were halfway up in the wooded area when the avalanche struck. Closer to the mountain than they even knew becuse their route was marked wrong.

survivor posted:

I had snow everywhere, in my face, in my mouth, I couldn't breathe.
But I could see light so I managed to get out. I could see a few others, but too few. We managed to dig out those we could see from the surface, and they survived. But when we'd dug them all out we still missed a lot of people and didn't know where to dig. Some started digging randomly with their bare hands, but the snow was like concrete.
I went downvalley for help, our biouvac was about 4 kilometres away. I had torn a ligament in my knee so it was hard going.

2nd. Lt posted:

I was on my way back up with something hot to drink for the boys, but then we realized something was badly wrong. We heard soldiers had been seen coming downvalley with blood on their faces. We realized what had happened as soon as we arrived. People were digging with blood spurting from their fingers. One was puking blood against a tree and I immediately thought he'd punctured a lung. Their eyes were glassy and they were too few. The rest were under the snow. It was a wooded area, so the avalanche had carried with it a lot of trees. Some were unrecognizable. We could follow the trail of red snow to find them, beaten to a pulp by the snow and debris.
One was under 8 meters of compact snow.
Others were encapsulated in ice with their hands over their faces. Those were the ones who had survived the avalance and then suffocated, bled out or froze to death before we got to them.

Teams searching with avalanche probes, also showing the path of the avalanche. This is slow as gently caress.

Upside down BV 202 or BV 206 completly buried.

RIP you bastards.

You know you done hosed up as an officer when they need a hangar to fit all the coffins for the memorial service due to your actions.

Something good came of it, among other things this handy avalanche line. All Norwegian soldiers have one of theese. The end the arrows point to is tied to your jacket, and then you can deploy it behind you. So your rescuers can find your corpse easier.

It's an invaluable tool, in that if you're moving into an area where you're thinking of deploying it, you take it out, look at it, put it back, then turn around and GTFO.

That's all.
Respect snow, respect worried junior leaderhip, and just say no to stupidly dangerous orders unless it's already WWIII.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Jesus man that's terrifying. Also loving hang incompetent officers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Was there any consequence for the senior leaders who ordered them to stay in place? I'm afraid of the answer here

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Almost positively it came down on the LT

That's some hardcore poo poo man

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

Was there any consequence for the senior leaders who ordered them to stay in place? I'm afraid of the answer here

Soulex posted:

Almost positively it came down on the LT

That's some hardcore poo poo man

Lt had just left the platoon to go yell at command in person, but was taken by another smaller avalance about 1km away from the rest. He "busted some ribs" but heard the big avalanche and was the first person back on scene. Don't think he ever got any heat, too many people had witnessed him kicking up a storm about it, and climate during the cold war was very much (more) adverse to actually refusing an order, even over safety during an excercise.

The brigadier was on scene in the first helicopter and helped.
He assumed full responsibility "Because it is my duty as a leader" although he claimed he was never briefed about the danger or that his men were worried and wanted out.
He resigned voluntarily and has been generally lauded.
The Maj. Gen. above him got a lot of flak and was invesitigated by the police for a while, but it ultimately came to nothing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wow, that's loving awful.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Air Force veteran is convicted of trying to enter Syria to support ISIS

quote:

Tairod Nathan Webster Pugh, 47, a former avionics instrument system specialist from New Jersey, was found guilty of providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization and obstruction of an official proceeding, according to the release.

This conviction is the first time a jury has found an individual guilty for attempting to travel to Syria to join ISIS, according to Assistant Attorney General John P. Carlin.

"Tairod Nathan Webster Pugh was willing to become a martyr, using his U.S. military training as a weapon for ISIL. Instead, found guilty of his crimes, he is facing a lengthy incarceration," said FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge Diego G. Rodriguez.

Good thing ISIS didn't get the chance to learn the valuable secrets of 1986-1990 avionics instrument systems.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That seems really fast...I thought he only got arrested a couple of months ago.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

That seems really fast...I thought he only got arrested a couple of months ago.

Just shy of a year ago.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'd say death to America too if my parents named me tairod

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

canyoneer posted:

Air Force veteran is convicted of trying to enter Syria to support ISIS

Good thing ISIS didn't get the chance to learn the valuable secrets of 1986-1990 avionics instrument systems.

Oh, the upgrades he could have made to their sole captured MiG-21!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

Just shy of a year ago.

actually he flew into turkey on jan 10 last year, then was deported back to the states on the 15th and arrested on the 16th. so its been about 14 months since he was caught

i find this part pretty loving hilarious

quote:

"Tairod Nathan Webster Pugh was willing to become a martyr, using his U.S. military training as a weapon for ISIL. Instead, found guilty of his crimes, he is facing a lengthy incarceration," said FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge Diego G. Rodriguez.

quote:

a former avionics instrument system specialist

yea im sure his extensive avionics repair background wouldve helped isis out so much, what with their large fleet of... uhhhh

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
That sounds like all the cool IED training that E-2 Berghdahl gave to the Taliban

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

That sounds like all the cool IED training that E-2 Berghdahl gave to the Taliban

maybe he showed em how to make a vinegar and baking soda bottle bomb?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

maybe he showed em how to make a vinegar and baking soda bottle bomb?

we can never let the taliban find out there are dangerous bomb-making materials inside of every mre heater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

not caring here posted:

I'd say death to America too if my parents named me tairod

I once had to have him replaced on my 82 Chrysler LeBaron