Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think what really made me realize I was wrong about Jared is that so far he hasn't lied. Maybe the database smeg comment, but in contrast to Chris, Ben, or Sandi he doesn't seem to care enough to lie.

I think his attitude parallels mine, only he's getting a paycheck while watching it all burn.

Same. I like his moxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

moonraker posted:

I firmly believe after having spent 3 years in CIG forms that they have a number of paid plants in the forum who are family and other invested party's of some of the devs and upper management .

Don't underestimate the cult psychology.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You mentioned rounding errors making stoping hard. Did you try using doubles instead of floats to store the information? And only casting them as floats very needed. This would also net you the claim to "double precision" :).

From: http://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/25-floating-point-numbers/ (it's C++, but I guess floating points can be a pain in the rear end)

This is a fantastic idea, both because it's a great technical solution, AND because I cal literally say I use 64-bit physics lolol owned.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Google Butt posted:

What made you sign up?

I have been reading this thread for some time now and i was surprised to see one of my posts from the CIG forums show up in here. After i got banned until 2026 a friend over at mmorpg.com, which i got banned from too now due to posting "overly negative" about SC, told me to write to lowtax and ask if the offer is still valid and lowtax was nice enough to invite me.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Welcome...what was the final straw for you?

The CoOp removal and constant changing of goal posts, disrespect towards the backers and lies. Also, the incredible stupidity and brainwashed behaviour of some of the regular posters (Logic Sol, Kaedan).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Risc1911 posted:

I have been reading this thread for some time now and i was surprised to see one of my posts from the CIG forums show up in here. After i got banned until 2026 a friend over at mmorpg.com, which i got banned from too now due to posting "overly negative" about SC, told me to write to lowtax and ask if the offer is still valid and lowtax was nice enough to invite me.

The CoOp removal and constant changing of goal posts, disrespect towards the backers and lies. Also, the incredible stupidity and brainwashed behaviour of some of the regular posters (Logic Sol, Kaedan).

I could see Logic Sol having that kind of effect. Out of curiosity, was the post of yours that you saw here posted by me?

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Not sure if you guys saw this. There is a StarCitizen Panel at the PCGAMER Weekender this weekend 5/6th March in the UK. I would fly over if i had the time and ask some uncomfortable questions but i can't this weekend. This could potentially be very interesting, anyone know if Croberts is currently in the UK?

Star Citizen: Building a Galaxy—A Q&A With The Devs

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-takes-to-the-stage-at-the-pc-gamer-weekender/

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Mirificus posted:

I could see Logic Sol having that kind of effect. Out of curiosity, was the post of yours that you saw here posted by me?

I honestly don't remember and i can't be arsed to go through the last 500 pages to find it. I might have called Sandi a failed actress :ohdear: if that rings a bell.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Risc1911 posted:

I honestly don't remember and i can't be arsed to go through the last 500 pages to find it. I might have called Sandi a failed actress :ohdear: if that rings a bell.

wow to call her failed would mean she would have to start acting in the first place

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Risc1911 posted:

Those words do indeed ring a bell.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

Whenever I read this poo poo I wish I could reach out through my 4k monitor and slap them.

Need to wait for the "grabby slappy hands" update to slap the shitizens.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Risc1911 posted:

Welcome commando, you will fit right in here o9

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
This thread needs more songs.

"The Wreck Of The Chris Roberts Pipe Dream"

The legend lives on from Port Olisar on down
To the planet that no one can land on
The game, Roberts claimed, would gain glory and fame
Even though he had no leg to stand on
With a few million bucks and absolutely no fucks
He had people start coding at random
That he always lied and refunds were denied
Was defended by his toxic fandom

With no design docs he would build a sandbox
That would give the big publishers envy
No one's sure how he knew that could ever be true
When the servers spend all their time empty
Hiring regular Joes across four studios
He and Sandi start building their nest eggs
Both filling their stash with a stream of cash
Brought by selling austitic men JPEGs

Once the funding lost steam and was threatening his dream
That's when Chris Roberts showed his true colors
"gently caress PTU, now it's Squadron 42"
"That's the way we'll make all our new dollars!"
The patches were late and they missed every date
His endeavor becoming unlawful
Now making him sweat was an unforeseen threat
From the Goon Army on Something Awful

When crunch time came, and the code was aflame
From the features half-heartedly tossed in
To keep in the groove Chris then made a shrewd move
And closed down the dev studio in Austin
While more people left amid rampant sperg theft
Some by walking out, others more formal
Chris told the press in a formal address
"For a game dev this turnover's normal."

Nobody knows what to call a CEO
Who can't make even one good decision
Observers all claim they could have made the game
Had they kept the original vision
They could have scaled back but Chris kept talking smack
While insisting his people could make it
And amid all his lies the project was capsized
Even huge whales no longer could take it

From Chris and his chums nothing good ever comes
From selling fake space ships to neckbeards
Promising nerds procedural birds
While Derek Smart ushers his worst fears
And even when, pre-diabetic Ben
Tries to calm down the crazies and wingnuts
Sandi the ho walks right onto the show
Just to hand him three boxes of donuts

The problem was not the community rot
Nor his mean harpy shrew wife who can't act
It was the few who worked with Chris who really knew
'Twas his ego that doomed the whole project
The legend lives on from Port Olisar on down
To the planet that no one can land on
The game, Roberts claimed, would gain glory and fame
Even though he had no leg to stand on

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Loiosh posted:

For those asking, no I haven't gone for a refund. I have gifted two of the ships away. The rest I'll sell off, but I don't want to lose my account and get banned. I did give up on SC, though I still post on occasion. Plus, I like catte pics.

:gary::pgabz: ONE OF US! ONE OF US! :pgabz::yarg:

In all seriousness, kudos for setting a standard and sticking to it rather than backtrack.

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015

Mirificus posted:

Could you please name some of the accounts you think are paid plants?

Well top of my head the 4 below spring to mind but I also noticed a number of accounts with just 4 strange posts to their name always popping up with every news release are ships sale are major update drops. Its like a army of alts that you never see in the forum but appear to encourage other backers to blindly pledge and there comments are always at the top .Would not surprise me one bit if its a marketing trick , Like those wanabe Hollywood actors who pay photographers to take pictures of them when they get out of cars at events while every one else looks and thinks WTF is that

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/112599/Zabulon

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/269172/Thylbana

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/160721/Kaedan

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/comments/255572/Schooner

I may well be wrong and as another poster mentions maybe I underestimate the power of a cult but I cant understand blind faith in people and projects when all the warning signs are there.
Reminds me of a quote from Lord Melchet in Blackadder

'If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.'

moonraker fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 2, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

MilesK posted:

I'm just saying MMOs and P2W games have generated for real addicted (like heroin or gambling) players. Star Citizen exploits both markets without a product. You should feel great shame if you work there.

So where do you work?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Risc1911 posted:

Welcome, new friend! You seem to fit right in. Just make sure every third post is complete poo poo and/or a picture of an animal and you'll be A-OK.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

So where do you work?

he's just another lobbyist for Big Heroin

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Scruffpuff posted:

This thread needs more songs.

"The Wreck Of The Chris Roberts Pipe Dream"

I think someone already did an Edmund Fitzgerald song (or Idris Fitzgerald as they called it) and put it on Youtube.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SirPhoebos posted:

I think someone already did an Edmund Fitzgerald song (or Idris Fitzgerald as they called it) and put it on Youtube.

:negative:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Loiosh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo232kyTsO0&t=3m29s

You can actually do the calculations and figure out exactly how much mass is lost, but yes, you are losing mass. This is something about General Relativity that a lot of people are unclear on. There's a series of videos that'll walk you though this on the PBS channel.

I don't get how the flashlight to sun analogy works. Yes there is a very real conversion of mass to energy in nuclear reactions as that's how they function but that's not the same mechanism for chemical to electrical energy works.

Edit: Yea I have to be wrong. E2=p2c2 + m2c4

Closed system would include the light from the flashlight so ΔE = 0.

Means ΔE2=Δp2c2 + Δm2c4 = 0

Δp2c2 = -Δm2c4.

-Δm2 = Δp2c2 / Δc4

Cool stuff, never thought about it.

Edit 2:

Wait but now I'm dividing by 0... I'm confused again.

Edit 3:

I'm an idiot. I can't factor out Δc4.

I'm good again

xanif fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 2, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Risc1911 posted:

Not sure if you guys saw this. There is a StarCitizen Panel at the PCGAMER Weekender this weekend 5/6th March in the UK. I would fly over if i had the time and ask some uncomfortable questions but i can't this weekend. This could potentially be very interesting, anyone know if Croberts is currently in the UK?

Star Citizen: Building a Galaxy—A Q&A With The Devs

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-takes-to-the-stage-at-the-pc-gamer-weekender/

this might be interesting but my assumption would be that it's not chris; he's splitting his time between LA and the UK at the moment and gets to waste enough time in 104TC. my bet is they'll throw some underlings up on a stage and the questions will be particularly soft.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:lol: right now in game none of the stupid pointless airlock doors will open so no one can get in their chariots

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Welcome, new friend! You seem to fit right in. Just make sure every third post is complete poo poo and/or a picture of an animal and you'll be A-OK.

What's the official stance on posting pictures of animal poo poo?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

peter gabriel posted:

:lol: right now in game none of the stupid pointless airlock doors will open so no one can get in their chariots

Thread over. Goons win. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suGfhnT2Sg

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

moonraker posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/269172/Thylbana

I may well be wrong and as another poster mentions maybe I underestimate the power of a cult but I cant understand blind faith in people and projects when all the warning signs are there.
Reminds me of a quote from Lord Melchet in Blackadder

'If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.'

I don't know about the other two but I'm pretty sure Thylbana Nyx is just an idiot who occasionally posts quotable quotes. He hasn't really been the same since the holidays when he was sent on an enforced week-long posting vacation.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

yeah that guy's vids were really good, props to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WL5MX1Co8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0RvCN3gYJA

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6421515/#Comment_6421515

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Whenever I read this poo poo I wish I could reach out through my 4k monitor and slap them.

the forever proverbial "OPEN DEVELOPMENT"

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You mentioned rounding errors making stoping hard. Did you try using doubles instead of floats to store the information? And only casting them as floats very needed. This would also net you the claim to "double precision" :).

From: http://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/25-floating-point-numbers/ (it's C++, but I guess floating points can be a pain in the rear end)

Pshaw. FIDELITY is all about PRECISION, right? Doubles are only precise to 15 digits, what he should be using is DECIMALS, which are precise to 28!

(pre-emptive 'i know')

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

Honestly, I dont know. occasionally the order comes down not to talk about x or refer to y. And the word Smart used in any context even as an adjective is a sack able offence. In fact Chris went through his 40000 page script and removed any usage.

whoa!!! which word? I have many! All of which are perfectly sackable offenses!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320520/they-re-freaking-geniuses

So he was trying to run over a Korean couple whilst knocking back some shots and listening to the Stimperor on the wireless ......
This is what Im talking about

I know, right? I saw that earlier when someone Tweeted it to me. I laughed so hard, I was walking on my beach and almost walked into the ocean.

These people have no loving clue how this works. None.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

Nobody tell this guy about Planetside 2 or he'll shoot a nice Chinese couple at a grocery store in his excitement.

:vince:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

well, lets start with a skeleton and a base mesh with 1200000 polys in it. Now shoot some mocap data.
Now realize that there is no way on god's green earth that this is going to support more than 3 characters on screen at any one time. (Add to the fact these meshes have been redesigned at least 5 times so the topology is now different)
Now realize that you have to rebuild the mesh, reskin the character and knock out some joints along the way.
Now realize that all that data that you shot at enormous expense is loving useless.

Yup. That's basically because, as I have said, he picked the wrong loving engine to do this with. Going mocap when he could have bought off-the-shelf mocap action data for cheap and which are already targeted for games, would have been the quicker path.

But what do I know, right?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

D_Smart posted:

Not a word that you used, literally using the word 'smart'.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I assume he means the word "smart" ;-)

e: Beaten to the punch...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

You will see more and more of Chris whoring himself out to advertisers.
There was going to be a big name leaving any time but I think that someone has thrown a bucket of gold bars wrapped in $100 bills at him.

No. He's still leaving.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

D_Smart posted:

I know, right? I saw that earlier when someone Tweeted it to me. I laughed so hard, I was walking on my beach and almost walked into the ocean.

These people have no loving clue how this works. None.

They have ships being deleted from servers because someone goes into hyperspace and they think this team can pull together that networking poo poo?

LAWL

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

EightAce posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320520/they-re-freaking-geniuses

So he was trying to run over a Korean couple whilst knocking back some shots and listening to the Stimperor on the wireless ......
This is what Im talking about

Area Man Passionate Believer In What He Imagines Networking To Be

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Hey Derek, the word was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lol barely $2 million in february

sq42 split really bringin in them stacks

• Locked thread