Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

There's 2 changes in the blogpost they posted and 90% of it is the public stash tabs. The other half is some API stuff to more reliably see if someone is online. I'm sure that other half is make or break unlike the first half.

Yeah thats a tiny part of the changes. http://exiletools.com/blog/2016/03/01/thoughts-on-the-new-public-stash-tab-api/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Couldnt you just keep using your 3rd party program to list poo poo

Yes you as a current player aren't affected. What about a returning or new player? Fork over $20 on this game you just started or give your login to a third party thing you have to download shouldn't be an answer to "how do I trade?"

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Kild posted:

Yes you as a current player aren't affected. What about a returning or new player? Fork over $20 on this game you just started or give your login to a third party thing you have to download shouldn't be an answer to "how do I trade?"

A third party thing most people have been using for years without complaint, which is still there and exactly the same as before. Quit your bitching.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What? This is just explaining how the API works.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

A third party thing most people have been using for years without complaint, which is still there and exactly the same as before. Quit your bitching.

Lol. That's why they pushed this because there was no complaint let alone they mentioned it in their own loving blog post.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

And showing a bunch of uses of it that dont require the user to pay anything. There's more API functionality to be released today/tomorrow aswell.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

ImsaKidd posted:

I was just trying to make a joke that not all of us are fat fucks who gorge on $20 (OR $16.50 DURING A SALE) of fast food. I 100% love all the updates GGG is making to the system.

Sorry I made you sperg about it.

we, at the something awful forums, are very impressed with your BMI, friend

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Moddington posted:

They made the game better but not better enough and I am so angry about this right now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

And showing a bunch of uses of it that dont require the user to pay anything. There's more API functionality to be released today/tomorrow aswell.

Uses such as "possibly setting up buy orders if such a thing existed" and "currency trading possibly easier" and "more items listed"

Am I missing something?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I suspect the API functionality was the main point of this update. There's several waves, and I can easily see it being far easier and faster to just implement this part for Premium Stash Tabs only depending on how they store individual stash tab properties. GGG hasn't been greedy in the way they do or push their MTX, so I have a hard time believing that this wasn't for a real technical reason. Either way, I would be surprised if they didn't eventually implement the 1 premium for everyone or if it turned out that the next wave of updates would boost the ability of non premium stash tab owners to sell their poo poo.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Why is everyone saying you have to have the premium stash to ~trade~. From how I'm reading it, you have to have the premium stash to SELL.

New players aren't going to be diving in going "oh wow I can't wait to loving set up autoselling and make sick exalts."

New system reduces load on their servers, makes it a little quicker/more functional, and anyone who is already selling already has the tabs. If anything, this is going to convince people who have been playing for a while to finally make the leap, spend a couple bucks, and start selling.

Everyone wins?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I've not really had any stance on this in IRC or posted about this anywhere because I feel like I wanted a better way to express how I felt besides saying it's good or bad. My thoughts:

Just to keep things straight, GGG adding this feature to the game is absolutely a good thing and a huge step forward for the game in general. It is a good monetization vector and one that is very reasonable to make players pay for. This is the baseline of where I'm coming from.

The entire pay2win concept is stupid juvenile garbage that has no place in discussions about monetization of games in 2016. PoE is not a particularly competitive game, and the goal of the monetization model should be to provide compelling things for paying players while not making players who do not pay feel bad about it. The predatory models (competitions designed in a way where a player has to spend a certain amount of money to reach a threshold of success in, randomized Gachapons that prey on people's gambling habits) have largely been identified and people understand them in the mobile space. It isn't something PoE has ever supported or is going to move towards. Likewise, the whole "PoE isn't pay2win" stuff that players and GGG keep mentioning is overly sanctimonious and pointless crap now. The market might have been different when the game came out but there's no point to still harping on this point today. There are quite a few smaller projects that are free to play but you can pay some money to get more content out of, up to a point (like $20 or something). People need to get paid for things and it's seriously pointless to keep harping on how you don't need to pay the developers for things.

Those things said, I think the actual implementation is a bit of a weakness. In a microtransaction model you want to give players who do not pay for microtransactions a way to experience them. It is easier to sell people on a system that they have already interacted with to a small extent than one that is completely foreign to a group of players. When I played Kingdom of Loathing in high school I never actually bought any of the items of the month ($10 items that are very powerful in running through content quickly/unlock extra game content). From what I understand, the main way people compete in that game is for the softcore leaderboard, which involves going through ascensions as quickly as possible while being able to pull a few items from your account stash every day. Doing well on this leaderboard requires you to have specific sets of premium items, and therefore I only ever played hardcore, which means you aren't allowed to access any of the items previously found on your account while in an ascension. Without being able to interact with the paid systems, I never had any real interest in engaging in them. On the other hand, Puzzle and Dragons basically pioneered one of the most successful microtransaction models for mobile games by giving players a constant trickle of premium currency (prior to PAD pretty much everyone gave a specific finite amount of premium currency and you could only ever get more by paying). This let people use their premium currency without feeling like they were wasting a very precious resource, and made it much more palatable to players to actually spend money. They also set a balance on what you can do and can't do without any freemium currency that was much less "you can make literally everything better if you spend money on it" than what was already out there, and made the system look a lot less like garbage freemium poo poo by actually keeping only 1 form of currency instead of like 5 different currencies for different systems. This isn't a judgment on what is right or wrong, because PAD is one of the highest earning games in the mobile market for a good reason, but it is definitely a major driving force in how you get players to spend money on something while making them not feel bad about it.

From PoE's perspective, I feel that giving MTX sets for doing challenges in leagues was a huge step forward here. It introduced me to a system I would have never engaged with otherwise. Likewise, I think that some limited premium stash space would be a good way to sell the system. It doesn't have to be a full tab, though logistically that's the easiest way to do it. I personally think a 4x10 area of storage for selling items is more than enough for non-paying players to engage with the system. I personally do think that making the only things players could buy with real money being stash tabs and cosmetic effects was erring too far on the safe side of microtransaction models, and even Dota2 has a ton more you can buy with real money than cosmetics and those things still don't impact actual gameplay. Valve doesn't even need to make money off of Dota2 since they have a very good and very steady revenue stream with Steam, so you would expect a company like Valve to be able to provide microtransactions no one cares to buy while GGG needs to make more compelling microtransactions that interact with more of the game to entice people to buy them because that's how they stay in business.

On the free side of things, I think GGG should and will eventually start pushing to move away from the current trading systems entirely. It is bad for their servers for free trading to rely on forums scraping software when they are showing they can use much better and more accurate APIs to handle item listings. It is pointless to use a forum as a place to put shops when no humans are reading the shops and they are generating an immense amount of bump posts that for the most part don't even do anything. This has no reason to be inaccessible to free players, and I imagine we will eventually get something not tied to forums software, but things will eventually be better for everyone if item listings/trades have their own interface for people to interact with that's not a forum. For example, I imagine an interface that works much like how we set up listings right now, but you pick an item out of your stash in the web interface, add it to an online listing, and set a price for it. 3rd party software like Acquisition could still be used to do this without manually entering every item from your stash, premium tabs can still be used to do all this in game without going through the web interface. Poe.trade would still be useful as a search/filter on these items, which would probably just show up on GGG's end as a giant listing of items. But this would consolidate everything to the same APIs which are much more efficient than forums scraping, and put all the item listings in a place actually made to handle item listings.

Also I'm sure this is going to get addressed down the line with further trading improvements, but it doesn't make sense to have two of the most important content vectors that people will be interacting with late game (including the one that they are pushing with the massive expansion) to severely restrict people's ability to go to and from town, while also requiring all trading to involve people going to and from town. I understand the stance on asynchronous trading, though it makes someone like me feel worse because I'm objectively selling far less items and making far less currency by being logged in for 4 hours a day than if I were logged in 12 hours a day or if I could sell things while offline, but requiring two people to be in the same instance to trade just does not interact well with other game systems that the game is designed with. This doesn't even have anything to do with communication, as you can communicate just fine without being in the same instance as another player. This has been for the most part okay as map portals while playing solo are not a particularly limited resource, but the Labyrinth will cause a huge problem with the current system. Also, I recognize that you can ask people to wait, but a good portion of sales people make are with cheap, easily replaceable uniques where if you don't sell within a few seconds they'll just find another seller.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Haha yeah I'm def reading that

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

voltron lion force posted:

Haha yeah I'm def reading that

but, but, CONTENT VECTORS!!!11!!!!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Kild posted:

Lol. That's why they pushed this because there was no complaint let alone they mentioned it in their own loving blog post.

Dude also says "shop tools are dead" and "these tools no longer server any purpose". You and he are both whiny pissbabies going all nuclear pants-making GBS threads mode over nothing.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 2, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Dude also says "shop tools are dead" and "these tools no longer server any purpose". You and he are both whiny pissbabies going all nuclear pants-making GBS threads mode over nothing.

I actually stopped reading the blog once it got to that point because of how laughably stupid that comment was. No one who plays this game with any sort of regularity is going to stop using Acquisition.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

panda clue posted:

I actually stopped reading the blog once it got to that point because of how laughably stupid that comment was. No one who plays this game with any sort of regularity is going to stop using Acquisition.

loving :laffo:, can you get any more hyperbolic than that? It's like one step from "GGG are literal nazis who have ruined this game and I'm suing them" except that one dude in this thread basically said that and I don't think he was kidding.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Huh. You seem to be projecting.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

He actually likes the api changes, doesn't think it's p2w, and was saying that the tools will likely be repurposed into general inventory management things or just left.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hey guys I'm looking for 'best game with worst community' candidates for 2016 am I in the right place

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey guys I'm looking for 'best game with worst community' candidates for 2016 am I in the right place

This isn't a moba, but I think we have a decent shot at a runner up position.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Cinara posted:

This isn't a moba, but I think we have a decent shot at a runner up position.

The category included the words "best game".

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I think dark souls has a worse community.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

megalodong posted:

I think dark souls has a worse community.

dark souls is like the crossfit of gaming

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
we are worse than reddit

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

we are worse than reddit

SA used to have a leg up on reddit on the pedophile front. not so much anymore...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I've never done Atziri. Taking my level 87 / 6k life / max res / 67% armor mitigation talihc cycloner in. Not even gonna watch a how-to vid first. Godspeed, goons!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR3Aa6U7WBo

regulargonzalez posted:

I've never done Atziri. Taking my level 87 / 6k life / max res / 67% armor mitigation talihc cycloner in. Not even gonna watch a how-to vid first. Godspeed, goons!

Watch out for double flameblasts.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Quote no edit.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Well, that went about as expected. Trash mobs were so easy I was thinking it was a bit overrated, the difficulty. The double vaal guardians I did decent damage on but turns out they do decent damage on me too.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I hate to interrupt the personal attacks and terrible posting but if anyone could link me to a good non-crit-based lightning build for Ascendancy (ie Orb of Storms + Arc/Spark) I'd really appreciate it.

Also please tell me more about trading and premium tabs thanks.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Challenges for the new leagues

Holy poo poo, they're actually achievable for decent players!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
re: noncrit lightning, it's not very relevant to how things are going to work with this new poo poo in Ascendancy but my ball lightning noncrit shadow was about one of the best characters I ever tried, the projectile/knockback was extremely effective and also hilarious.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vorenus posted:

I hate to interrupt the personal attacks and terrible posting but if anyone could link me to a good non-crit-based lightning build for Ascendancy (ie Orb of Storms + Arc/Spark) I'd really appreciate it.

Also please tell me more about trading and premium tabs thanks.

There aren't many suitable builds for that criteria because there's not a real direct analogue in pre-Ascendancy builds. Non-crit lightning spell builds were almost always worse than crit lightning builds, but we have a lot of new toys to play with that will make them more viable.
Saboteur with cluster lightning traps is guaranteed to be good. Hierophants or inquisitors with any lightning skill will be atleast decent.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Perandus League Challenges

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Challenges for the new leagues

Holy poo poo, they're actually achievable for decent players!

By my count, about 14 will be obtained without even trying for any fairly dedicated players.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Lol. I ask about a build, told it's too expensive. Ask about another, also too expensive. Have a build suggested, ask for more info and told it's not suitable. gently caress it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Vorenus posted:

Lol. I ask about a build, told it's too expensive. Ask about another, also too expensive. Have a build suggested, ask for more info and told it's not suitable. gently caress it.

Non-crit lightning is just not that much of a thing. Shock is too valuable. It's not like going crit makes it an expensive build though, my first two characters in Talisman were a COC wander and crit arc.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 2, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vorenus posted:

Ele ST doesn't require anything expensive to get off the ground and start mapping, and non-crit lightning will be perfectly suitable ~once the patch hits~. The problem is you're looking at the uniques build guides say are mandatory for ele ST (which really means mandatory for high level maps specifically) and there's no real guides to non-crit lightning because nobody's gotten to build around elemental overload and the new support gems yet.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

tools will die when they are not worth keeping updated because the other system is better. Which will happen eventually but probably take a while and require more features done by GGG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hmm... scion deadeye/chieftan can probably make pitch darkness burning arrow work pretty drat well, but you would need a good physical dps bow (i don't have, but an unlinked lions eye is cheap these days and pretty drat cheap to get it to a five link as well) and a blackgleam as well as four pitch darkness jewels at a minimum. Burning arrow - multiple projectiles (lesser might be enough) - increased burning damage - fire penetration, but I'm not sure what the fifth link should be, would slower projectiles or weapon elemental damage be more damage? Is 35% chance to ignite enough or would more be needed? could you run projectile weakness for the knockback and increased damage or would you need flammability for the ignite chance. Would anger or hatred+a pyre ring be the better aura choice?

gah

• Locked thread