Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

orcinus posted:

I'm still hundreds of pages behind.
What happened to goon de yadda?

Still two weeks?

Derek will never, ever, subject himself to such humiliation and, on top of that, Bootcha was forced out decided to take a break from the thread and SC in general, due to mysterious herpestidae reasons :fuzzknot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

lmao

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone have a screenshot of what the turret positions look like from inside? I keep hearing people talk about it.

I will thank you in three days when I catch up with this post.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The job of the archivist is to keep track of the lore.

Cripes alive that sounds dull. Rome's economy is sluggish and here's some military history cliches. Buckle up.

The Messer era almost sounded pretty fun. Rampant xenophobia, crazy noble children murdering one another for political power and a lot of time spent bombing people who think the government should maybe not bomb people who disagree with the government. Shame it never got anything more than a few throwaway lines. It almost sounded like it could be more fun than space congress and the mysteries of the Kilrathi analogues.

Anyways lol if you haven't been printing out, framing and hanging up pictures of the cats everyone has been posting in this thread.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Anyone have a screenshot of what the turret positions look like from inside? I keep hearing people talk about it.

I will thank you in three days when I catch up with this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7i0qfMHzs

Basically just turn off 5 of your 6 4k monitors and you have the basic idea.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 2, 2016

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

trucutru posted:

Bootcha was forced out decided to take a break from the thread and SC in general, due to mysterious herpestidae reasons

Fuzzknot posted too much and got kinda out of hand. A probation in games that long is a legit achievement.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Haskell9 posted:

Fuzzknot posted too much and got kinda out of hand. A probation in games that long is a legit achievement.

Free :fuzzknot: I say. Best recipes in the thread, even if her alcohol choice is a bit suspect.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Cripes alive that sounds dull. Rome's economy is sluggish and here's some military history cliches. Buckle up.

The Messer era almost sounded pretty fun. Rampant xenophobia, crazy noble children murdering one another for political power and a lot of time spent bombing people who think the government should maybe not bomb people who disagree with the government. Shame it never got anything more than a few throwaway lines. It almost sounded like it could be more fun than space congress and the mysteries of the Kilrathi analogues.

Anyways lol if you haven't been printing out, framing and hanging up pictures of the cats everyone has been posting in this thread.

I assume that the Messer stuff was what the real writers worked on, and the only reason it survived is because CR doesn't give a poo poo about it.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

grimcreaper posted:

Free :fuzzknot: I say. Best recipes in the thread, even if her alcohol choice is a bit suspect.

My girlfriend is even more of a crochet versus knitting warrior than her, but on the opposite side. Watching them catfight about poo poo I don't care about sounds hilarious

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

For the record, don't answer this. Don't let LowellDND within a hundred miles of any more thermonuclear reactions.

Too late.
The chain reaction has already been initiated.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Ash1138 posted:

lol barely $2 million in february

sq42 split really bringin in them stacks

Of course, that's if we can actually trust them to accurately show how much they're pulling in with their homegrown crowdfunding system.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

... due to mysterious herpestidae reasons :fuzzknot:

Hopefully not involving pressure cookers.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

Sorry, but I am not into your German-like fetishes

That's how I know you're not a real auditor like myself and Karl and Mathilda who are all three completely different people and definitely not the same guy.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Beautiful music choice.

That reminds me of Anarchy Online launch, where zoning broke and nobody could leave Omni-1 to actually do anything besides morph into space gerbils and roll around the city.

I don't know which is more pointless. At least in AO you had the excuse that your subscription time was actually counting down and you might as well try to do something with it.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Wait was someone fired recently?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Samizdata posted:

One of these days, I really need to watch an episode of 10 For The Charlatan. (Which is what my mind read when I saw 10 For The Chairman.)
The first one of this year is decent-- a small victory for us as he expressed annoyance with a new Star Marine grassfire.

But you might want to start with an early one after. Its then you realize it's always the same episode.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Wait was someone fired recently?

EightAce said someone was going to walk but decided not to because of a substantial cash incentive and then Derek quoted EightAce to let us all know that he also knew that.

Neither of them clarified on the who. Unless I missed something.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
rats

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

We call them "leavers".

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

spacetoaster posted:

We call them "leavers".

Fidelity runners. for 4k immersion freedom

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Haskell9 posted:

My girlfriend is even more of a crochet versus knitting warrior than her, but on the opposite side. Watching them catfight about poo poo I don't care about sounds hilarious

Can't you, like, just 3D-print that poo poo? :gets murdered:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

God damnit, that cooldown is such a pain in the rear end, too... I knew I should have put more points into shitposting.

In other, completely unrelated news, my girlfriend edited, blew up, and framed a picture of a stingray I took, and now for the first time I have something I made hanging on my walls by my desk. It's a weird feeling, but it's pretty cool to be like "Hey, I made that poo poo. That's awesome."

I highly recommend printing poo poo out and putting it on your walls.

You love the ocean.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I loved that guy in pgabz's video cycling through the floor and ceiling like he was a Super Mario Bros. elevator

that would be wild in VR, can't wait to be immersed

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

G0RF posted:

I thought it was a good read, ZenMaster.

I think Chris Roberts distinctly Anachrofuturist™ vision of space ship design, combined with his coercive view of immersion and his complete obliviousness about WHAT MAKES GAMES FUN, will consign turret combat to the sad fate of so much of the gameplay. What could be a blast will be a chore for the sake of verisimilitude as defined by a person who actually thinks the more work you have to do to achieve even the most perfunctory of tasks while gaming, the more realistic your gameplay experience will be therefore SUCCESS.

I mean, 60 minutes ago, Lando said that obscuring the view of players (as in the Freelancer) with space-blinder cockpits was a big part of their game balancing philosophy. Surely that came right from Roberts himself. I get that merchant ships might have less visibility than a nimble little dogfighter but game balancing via space horse-blinders that block 70% of your view of space?

I know that's a tangent to your point but UGH, it all is just so idiotic it still sometimes amazes me. Sadly, I think there's a particularly futility in theory crafting improvements to gameplay mechanics, which I'm sure many of his talented developers have faced first-hand. It shouldn't be that way of course, because for a man in his right mind, the gameplay mechanics are the very heart of any game. That they seem such a tertiary concern for Roberts below "Immersion", and "Fidelity" speaks volumes.

Yeah it's fun to run the ideas through my head but I know it's an exercise in face on brick wall fantasy. I think my idea would make a cool board game at least. I need to prototype it.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Evil_Greven posted:

Of course, that's if we can actually trust them to accurately show how much they're pulling in with their homegrown crowdfunding system.
we don't so it's probably worse haha

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

trucutru posted:

Whoa, whoa! do not be hasty, they have still not proved beyond any doubt that they are a complete scam.

It's true. I doubt they have come to his house with a box of snakes and dumped it in his hair yet. Though some might see that as a bonus stretch goal! You can never tell what those wacky nuts will do!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

caughtupwiththethread.gif

G0rf, whenever you get around to writing the book on Star Citizen I want to be somewhere in line to read it.

Pgabz, even in the midst of a nightmare election here in the US, your videos never fail to make me laugh.

Beer, it's a drat shame CIG jerked you around like they did. As a community manager, losing the trust and enthusiasm of a user like you is a terrible thing to happen to any game.

Eonwe, I remember when you seemed like an annoying shitposter that was getting folks all riled up back when most people here still believed in the game. Now I realize you were just the goon canary in the SC mine shaft

or you just liked shitpostin'

now back into my coffin

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 2, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

caughtupwiththethread.gif

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I had a really strange dream today. I was playing Dungeons and Dragons, a game I've never really played before. I created a notable character, a human wizard: Sanderson, Bernard.

Bernard was a very kind soul, after quests he would opt to pay "taxes" in the form of spending his gold on food and shelter for the poor in a nearby village. Fellow party members said it was unneccesary, but he was adamant in helping the poor.

Near the end of his quest, he and his party encounter a large dragon atop a mountain of gold. Bernard was furious, more furious than he had ever been previously in this journey.

Bernard: OH DRAGON! You hoard this gold from the people! Are you not ashamed for choosing not to share this treasure when the 99% are suffering?

I rolled a pair of dice for Bernard to convince the dragon to share his wealth. I need to get two sixes. I got one six and one four.

The dragon scoffs at Bernard and in a single breath wipes out most of the party. In his last moment, Bernard pleads with the dragon.

Bernard: Spare me dragon, and I shall tell you where to get enough gold to make this mountain appear miniscule!

To convince the dragon I had to roll two sixes once again. I rolled. Lo and behold...

Dragon: You intrigue me, dirt. Speak where I may find this gold, and if you are gone when I return, I promise I will not seek you out.

Bernard: You must only look above the mountains, and above the skies, that is where this sphere of gold lies.

The dragon breaks through a wall and spots the golden sun.

Dragon: You have spoken truth, dirt. I shall be back.

The dragon flies off into the sun. Bernard Sanderson takes the gold and redistributes the wealth to poor, so everyone may live happily once again.

:pgabz: None of that has anything to do with Star Citizen, I just felt like sharing. :eonwe:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

On this day in thread history!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Two weeks.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I like this feature idea. Please continue

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Beer. You should do the thing you've been PM'd about.

Do. It.

And record it, for us.

The needful, Beer. Kindly do it.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

here is your jpeg sir

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Exposure posted:

Posting from the past:

Someone on here had mentioned a game with one of the more memorable development cases I've read, Titanfall. It was basically a complete trainwreck in late 2012/early 2013 or so, the Activision lawsuit against Respawn tanked productivity with all the stress it generated, the co-founders were constantly arguing with each other and the rest of the staff at times, people were leaving over it, people were threatening to leave over proposed changes they thought of to try making it to release, and at one point they actually ran out of money and had to ask EA for more and hope they wouldn't alter the deal too much. At that point the average person would probably conclude that Respawn would end up crashing and burning.

14 months later they managed to get their poo poo together, actually manage to produce a decent enough game despite all the past problems, even re-acquire some of the people that left once the lawsuit went away and got a solid path to an actual released game, and got lucky enough for EA to actually not alter the deal too much beyond the first game becoming a Microsoft exclusive.

Granted I don't think Star Citizen's going make that kind of miraculous recovery, but I can definitely see where some people who don't try reading thousands of posts might think it has a chance of making it despite the issues (and thus don't want to publish anything with a hard opinion lest they turn out to be wrong)

And despite of all that Titanfall launched lukewarm, inherently problematic design wise, and was forgotten within months by the gaming community because nothing was really there beyond some decent art and animations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

And despite of all that Titanfall launched lukewarm, inherently problematic design wise, and was forgotten within months by the gaming community because nothing was really there beyond some decent art and animations.

if SC gets released it won't even have that

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Jason Sextro posted:

if SC gets released it won't even have that

Exactly. And... well, I mean, some of the ships look kinda cool and you can have a helmet with like 90 moving parts that like makes a Marvel Iron Man suitcase suit look simple.

So that's a cool 5 minutes of aahahabd haiajnbdidisn loving seriously hahahhahaa ok

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The high-profile leaver is totally Tony Z, who else is high enough profile to cause a huge fuss?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Dusty Lens posted:

EightAce said someone was going to walk but decided not to because of a substantial cash incentive and then Derek quoted EightAce to let us all know that he also knew that.

Neither of them clarified on the who. Unless I missed something.

Dereks full of poo poo though

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

"Will Pusher be romancable?" That alone will cause more drama than anything so far.

Clearly you know nothing about the shitizens' mental development.

Don't they feel enough grief around every corner? Most of them have crippling autism or social anxiety and probably never spoken to let alone had physical contact with a "female" other than their mother.
Do you really want to scare away half the game's community by introducing a romance option?

Pleasurebots on the other hand... Those are predictable machines, no nonsense like free will and the ability to call someone out on their poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

EminusSleepus posted:

here is your jpeg sir

thank you sir may i have another

• Locked thread