Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ewe2 posted:

6 fails because Bad News Sells. Bad News Is Sexy. That's journalism 101.

Bad News about other people sells. Bad news that is happening to the reader himself is less attractive. Key difference there.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Area Man Passionate Believer In What He Imagines Networking To Be
Has anyone seen Octopode lately? I think this guy is gunning for a DoD job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

alf_pogs posted:

if you got banned it's because you were just as bad as a downright leaver

or a dink

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

The high-profile leaver is totally Tony Z, who else is high enough profile to cause a huge fuss?

Sean Tracy (He just moved to LA so unlikely)
Zane Bien (He moved to LA, then moved to the UK so unlikely)
Darian Vorlick
Mark Skelton
Chris Smith
Mark Abent

Struggling to think of anyone else the spergs would care about, the developers in the UK apart from Erin Roberts aren't really featured enough to cause a fuss. If they are cutting back on detail to make stuff run faster you could maybe see senior artists considering if it's worth sticking around.

Tony Zurovec would hurt them the most though, difficult to pretend that's not a major change.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Darian Vorlick
Mark Skelton
Chris Smith
Mark Abent

Struggling to think of anyone else the spergs would care about, the developers in the UK apart from Erin Roberts aren't really featured enough to cause a fuss. If they are cutting back on detail to make stuff run faster you could maybe see senior artists considering if it's worth sticking around.

Tony Zurovec would hurt them the most though, difficult to pretend that's not a major change.

It'd be pretty awesome if Chris's co-writer, what's'name, Haddock quit

I don't envy that guy one bit

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

Darian Vorlick
Mark Skelton
Chris Smith
Mark Abent

People leaving during development is nothing out of the ordinary for Star Citizen, Citizen

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Please make sure that in a few years, when everything is over and the last thread will be closed, that this is the very last thing posted.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ponzi posted:

Maybe the energy IS the ammo - think 'futuristic disposable fuel cell type thing'

But fuckit. I'm not providing CIG with handwavium explanations for their lore for free. I have other great ideas, but if CIG are interested, they can PM me, and we'll discuss a 'consultant' role, with my exhorbitant fee being paid into my account in the Cayman Islands.

Not particle weapons, but Old Man's Sky had a neat idea for sci-fi guns - rifles used blocks of metal which the gun turned into different rounds on the fly. If you ran out of ammo you could stuff random junk in the gun at the cost of reduced efficiency.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Big Bennys Needs YOUR Help

The most exciting thing in Star Citizen is a fast food machine that collects money.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Scruffpuff posted:

I have a question for some of the recent CIG refugees: was it a huge surprise after being surrounded by hostilities, and the constant yammering about how evil SA is trying to destroy everything etc., to come here and find out that all that poo poo is totally wrong? That you're welcomed and are completely free to say anything you want, and that this is one of the only places on the internet where you can actually have a calm, reasoned discussion? I'm genuinely curious how many of you were surprised by how chill it is here when compared to the cultist narrative.

From many pages ago while catching up on what I missed but thought I'd offer an answer.

Not speaking for others that just showed up, but was not really surprised that this place is saner then the cultist's den. The MWO branch of Lowtax (some I see here) were always on point and humorous
about what was hosed up in pgi land and the worst behavior I saw was squaaaaawking in matches so I couldn't figure out where the hate/fear was really coming from, then after #SaveMWO had genuine respect
even though the efforts were ultimately pgi-proof.

That and you guys helped me learn the about not getting mad about videogames a while ago and the snark here's quality so the general narrative in Koolaidville only further cemented that I've been posting in the
wrong forums and should have jumped on years ago...

Mostly seem like reasonable people masquerading as dickheads instead of dickheads masquerading as reasonable people. Mostly.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Star Citizen is better than any AAA game. I mean just look at all the things you can do, like moving a vending machine to an asteroid or moving a vending machine on top of a space station or moving a vending machine...gently caress it, best game ever.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Croberts ultimate "gently caress you" to Derek: The entire game is based around 1 vending machine.

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Thronde posted:

Croberts ultimate "gently caress you" to Derek: The entire game is based around 1 vending machine.

Avant-garde.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

That's odd, is anyone else getting that?

Yes also unavailable for me.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Ash1138 posted:

Oh and Sandi if you want to take down videos that make you look bad, there is one here that you should know about : https://vimeo.com/49705991

Best actor since she was a little girl. At least now we know which video is the reason that she never became a successful actress.

It's too bad that the cut-scenes in SQ42 will not be real video. It would be an incredible treat to see Sandi act the horrible script and pretentious lines written by Croberts.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

AP posted:

The most exciting thing in Star Citizen is a fast food machine that collects money.

Too be fair: A lot of released games do this kind of thing to get cheap promotional material. Or get people to log in. Which is a nice way to check how many people pay attention to such things. Good thing the "stable" Alpha build has working airlocks.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I hope they are going to make an advert for Big Bennys vending machines with a famous star from Squadron 42. An A list actor who is friends with Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson.

AP fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 2, 2016

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Someone is having fun on IMDB:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Good work whoever did that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTS_13g6Mk4&t=16s

:suicide:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thoatse posted:

Mostly seem like reasonable people masquerading as dickheads instead of dickheads masquerading as reasonable people. Mostly.

I'm all dick. :feelsgood:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Holy crap they even added the PTSD feature for the marines.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Holy crap they even added the PTSD feature for the marines.

lol they aren't just drawn backwards, they fire backwards but somehow the shots pass through your body like you were a ghost. :lesnick:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

lol they aren't just drawn backwards, they fire backwards but somehow the shots pass through your body like you were a ghost. :lesnick:

:lol:

Star Citizen is such an amazing hosed up mess :pgabz: :eonwe:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

AP posted:

This lot never cease to amaze. What the gently caress are they doing messing around with stuff like this in what is a tiny, buggy PRE-ALPHA. They are acting like this is the final game. Which actually it probably will be.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

The biggest question that I have after following SC for the past 2 threads is: What is croberts supposed to be the chairman of? CIG? Private companies don't usually have chairmen. Some lore position he gave himself?

It drives me crazy every time someone mentions 10ftc.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

This lot never cease to amaze. What the gently caress are they doing messing around with stuff like this in what is a tiny, buggy PRE-ALPHA. They are acting like this is the final game. Which actually it probably will be.

It's because it's literally the only even slightly amusing thing to do in their game.

It's an oversight that the developer who first implemented it didn't tether the object, and because of that a small bit of fun managed to slip into their bland grey game.

Upcoming patch notes:
  • Due to a bug, it was possible to have some fun while playing Star Citizen
  • It's OK though, the community managers have resolved the issue by running the joke into the ground
  • Everyone is now bored of the stupid vending machine
  • We don't even need to fix the original bug
  • Bye

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

:lol:

Star Citizen is such an amazing hosed up mess :pgabz: :eonwe:

This and much more. It's beyond mortal comprehension at this moment.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

alf_pogs posted:

i would absolutely donate to a charity of derek's choice if derek changed his surname or middle name to 'citizen'

I'm suddenly possessed with the thought of turning my life into a bold nerd art statement. Change my first name to "Star", last name to "Citizen"...

...and middle name to "Danger", of course. Because any time you're going to ruin your life by changing your name to something really really dumb, at least get the middle name right.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
its also worth noting that "the vending machine challenge" can only be considered fun in a game that doesn't have anything resembling fun within 20,000 lightyears.

I would still be entertained by a :pgabz: run though.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Just when I thought that video couldn't be better I check the comments and who's that posting a giant wall of mad? And cross-posting it from Reddit as well making it super easy to verify? Why it's Nitro!

Man pgabz you're hosting some start studded line-ups these days. How long do you think it'll be before they make a subreddit stalking you, and start writing threat assessments about you?

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Just when I thought that video couldn't be better I check the comments and who's that posting a giant wall of mad? And cross-posting it from Reddit as well making it super easy to verify? Why it's Nitro!

Man pgabz you're hosting some start studded line-ups these days. How long do you think it'll be before they make a subreddit stalking you, and start writing threat assessments about you?

Two weeks.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

the stimperor wont take this lying down. Release the Ben!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

guess DS needs to send his dad a message then! Lol how could that ever go wrong?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

How does this happen in a FPS engine I don't even :psyduck:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AP posted:

Darian Vorlick
Mark Skelton
Chris Smith
Mark Abent

I'm not an artist, but I imagine model optimization and LoD work is bad enough without Chris Roberts standing over your shoulder telling you which polys to join.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Ummm. Everyone in this thread keeps saying that the programmers at CIG are GODS. I'm not really seeing it?

I'll give you that the artists are drat talented. And yes, I understand that this is "pre-alpha". But why don't they ever fix anything of actual substance?

Oh, and also: the engine is tailored for FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS to begin with. How can they gently caress that up so badly?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Oh god it's him in the wheelchair?
I didn't read it but he seemed passionate about something or other

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MeLKoR posted:

Stay safe, suicidal ghost Citizen.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

D1E posted:

Ummm. Everyone in this thread keeps saying that the programmers at CIG are GODS. I'm not really seeing it?

I'll give you that the artists are drat talented. And yes, I understand that this is "pre-alpha". But why don't they ever fix anything of actual substance?

Oh, and also: the engine is tailored for FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS to begin with. How can they gently caress that up so badly?

Well let me use this analogy.
Below is programming with a clear direction from the very beginning. No scope changes, no suddenly mocap gazilion polygon poo poo and no quick implement VR to this stuff crap.

This is pretty much SC, changes upon changes, adding features upon features that ( probably) nullify the previous work.

To add, the latter is probably how all the new programmers have to start working. the thing you wanna implement has to go somewhere in there.
Lovely.

Even the best programmer couldn't work in such an environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D1E posted:

Take a look at the character models. Of particular note are the animations in :pgabz: latest video. Do you see all that unnecessary mo-cap animation - all the little movements and poo poo that nobody in their right minds pays attention to? They had to hack the FPS engine into oblivion just to get it to look that way. Form over function always wins when the CEO is autistic. So now the developers are faced with attempting to "fix" something that's broken by its very design. The engine they have now isn't really tailored to do anything any more, except fulfill Chris' "vision" in screenshots or short bursts of video - contiguous gameplay does not exist in his vision. So the way to fix the engine is to remove all the player models, all the motion-captured animations, and all the weird physics, and just start over from scratch and do it properly. If Chris vanished tonight, and the programmers had the freedom to do anything they wanted without adhering to his outdated design principles, they could get this working by cutting out all his sacred cows. That's why I, for one, don't blame them for not being able to accomplish the impossible.

• Locked thread