Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Weeks, probably. I'm betting before end of April.

A lot of that is on me due to the specific art for the expansion only just now being made.

The features of the expansion are more or less complete at this time. Just needs polish, which is where I come in.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Thank you, looking forward to it!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Firgof posted:

A super secret sneak peak at the upcoming expansion.

You know I never figured it out - does the color/corner art of the diplomacy art mean something? Is there a reason annex planet and investigate are purple and have a checkmark while profiteering is yellow and has a lightning bolt?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yep. The colors of the card are a rough categorization of their effect/target.

If I recall correctly:
Checkmarks indicate a card which has a vote before it goes into effect. Lightning bolt cards provide immediate effects on purchase. Bullseyes target other effects. Circular swirl cards can only be used in votes.

I'll probably do something to clear those up in my pass over the art.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 2, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Firgof posted:

Weeks, probably. I'm betting before end of April.

A lot of that is on me due to the specific art for the expansion only just now being made.

The features of the expansion are more or less complete at this time. Just needs polish, which is where I come in.

Rad. Gonna wait for this, get it, and dive into this game properly. :haw:

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
There's lots to dive in to, for sure. Even returning SR2 vets will have lots to dive in to [two new races with their own life types, new maps, a new ftl type, a new game mode [via maptype], [lots of] new subsystems, new influence cards, a new racial diplomacy mechanic, a new victory condition, new research options, new resources, improved diplomatic AI/raiding/support behaviors, etc etc]. The eagle-eyed may have spotted two big examples of which [beyond the new race] in the screenshot I linked earlier.

In short: there's a lot in it. As the thread title goes, we're not going to go quietly if we have to go down with the ship.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Firgof posted:

In short: there's a lot in it. As the thread title goes, we're not going to go quietly if we have to go down with the ship.

Here here. I hope that your steam sale sales pulled enough attention to you, as I'm pretty sure that happened to Age of Wonders 3, to turn your fortunes around. :getin:

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Steam sale was okay for visibility - but it'll be the sales of the expansion which'll make or break the studio. Going to have to be one heck of a showing for it to get us back on our feet.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 3, 2016

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Firgof posted:

Steam sale was okay for visibility - but it'll be the sales of the expansion which'll make or break the studio. Going to have to be one heck of a showing for it to get us back on our feet.

If the worst befalls, you did a drat fine job. More 4X games could stand to try new things to freshen up the genre.

I am dreadfully curious about those new lifestyles and the new FTL; definitely my favorite part of the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Firgof posted:

Star Ruler 2 is too gamey for me, so I don't play it anymore. I'm still buying the expansion because your next game might be more to my liking.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Here's hoping it sells well enough that there is a 'next game'.

If there isn't I'll be trying to get my foot in the door at Gearbox, I imagine, as the studio will dissolve.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 3, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Firgof posted:

Here's hoping it sells well enough that there is a 'next game'.

If there isn't I'll be trying to get my foot in the door at Gearbox, I imagine, as the studio will dissolve.

Well if don't you make it (and I hope you do get enough money to continue), you can at least say that you made one of the few genuinely original 4x games in decades. There's maybe 1 other 4x that isn't a Moo or GalCiv clone? And none of them have your awesome diplomacy system or the Kohan style combat that really needs to be in more games.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 6, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Will suck dicks for modern Kohan game.

It's a shame to hear you guys might not make it, SR1 was flawed but incredibly unique, and 2 lost most of the flaws and kept the uniqueness. Here's hoping.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
We now have a target date for the expansion's launch. More info. on that to come in the coming weeks along with price information, a feature list, and other such juicy bits. Can't wait to show off what we've been working on.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Firgof posted:

We now have a target date for the expansion's launch. More info. on that to come in the coming weeks along with price information, a feature list, and other such juicy bits. Can't wait to show off what we've been working on.

Before or after May 9? Before would be better!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
To avoid launching at the same time as Stellaris (or directly after) right? Aye, we're aware of when it launches.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Firgof posted:

To avoid launching at the same time as Stellaris (or directly after) right? Aye, we're aware of when it launches.

Yep, I vote for before then as well :). Wrestling with it yet again!!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I'm hoping that I will enjoy this a lot more then Polaris Sector...and if I don't at least not leave the launcher open and prevent any Steam Refund by somehow clocking in 26 extra hours. :downs:

Still this game looks a lot better then Polaris Sector and I wish I had heard of it first.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Yeah I can't believe I am just finding this series now. Get a marketing guy or a publisher and you probably won't have to close shop.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Been awhile since I played but is there any way to set up an equal number of empires per galaxy. Like if wanted 9 total empires with three per galaxy?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
The game does try to geometrically equally distribute empires - but I'm not sure if it accounts for multiple galaxies. My hunch is that it does - but I'll need to get confirmation from my co-workers on that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna buy this game in 1 hour.

Please tell me the "overshoot" issue in Star Ruler 1 is fixed? Where fleets would fly past eachother at breakneck speeds and have no cohesion?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yes. Just don't give your fleets a change of movement orders if they're going long distances once they're significantly underway. We also have directional thrust this time around - which means a ship can't start thrusting until it turns to face its target vector - which means it can hilariously overshoot stuff if you give it an order when it's already got a lot of momentum built up.

Also note: Fleet cohesion does loose a little bit of its stern-ness if you go full 10x speed. It's nowhere near the same magnitude of problem it was in SR1 however.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 28, 2016

GGLucas
Feb 12, 2014

It's not a shill account if I paid 40gp for it, right?

Sedisp posted:

Been awhile since I played but is there any way to set up an equal number of empires per galaxy. Like if wanted 9 total empires with three per galaxy?

The game does automatically distribute empires equally over the galaxies you create, so 9 empires and 3 galaxies will put 3 empires in each galaxy. The free update that will be released when the expansion comes out will also let you control which of the galaxies you generate can spawn empires in them, so you have more fine control.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Just out of curiosity, is there some lore reason I'm missing that terrakin are collectively called "man" and are otherwise treated as standard humans, yet look nothing like a human? I never played SR1 and presume the answer lies there.

The species flavor text for them is adorable by the way.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Nathilus posted:

Just out of curiosity, is there some lore reason I'm missing that terrakin are collectively called "man" and are otherwise treated as standard humans, yet look nothing like a human? I never played SR1 and presume the answer lies there.

I'm pretty sure it's because these are the distant descendants of mankind who have since evolved to look weird.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Rhjamiz posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because these are the distant descendants of mankind who have since evolved to look weird.

No daughter of mine is marryin' any lobster(?).

It's almost enough to make one start sympathizing with the wh40k imperium.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Please release the DLC before April 25 before I go away on holiday :ohdear:

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Nathilus posted:

30000 years of genetic drift complicated by lots of radiation-bombing plus genetic/mechanical augmentations to more readily survive extended trips in space with less access to food and water. I decreased our bone-mass and overall shrunk the body - especially the mouth/jaw and arms. You can see it all better in the Terrakin revamp art above - though I'm not sure whether that will ship with the expansion/free update or not. The art style is a bit too different from the base art so Andrew's not giving it the green light yet.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 29, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Today I found an empire that was tied with me militarily, which was unacceptable, so I ninja'd in like 20 star-blower-uppers and blew up their home star.

I still like this game

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Well this is neat as hell, cool diplomacy and planet management and the ship design is an art in and of itself and holey moley there's a sandbox for making fleets of your own composition and pitting them against each other in big space battles.

Is there a trick to making support ships set to brawler work better? Whenever I try it, they overshoot like crazy.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

lazorexplosion posted:

Is there a trick to making support ships set to brawler work better? Whenever I try it, they overshoot like crazy.

Try giving them more thrust - overshooting is because they can't overcome their momentum with the thrust available to them.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Bettik posted:

Try giving them more thrust - overshooting is because they can't overcome their momentum with the thrust available to them.

I found it made them overshoot more, if anything. Not that it matters, I'm making the brawlers size 1 chaff to run ahead of the fleet and troll the enemies into shooting their megadeathkill torpedoes and missiles so they're reloading when the actual ships turn up.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Thats exactly what I do with them.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
All the behaviors and their logic will be greatly improved and further diversified when you get bothe the free update and the expansion.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Firgof posted:

All the behaviors and their logic will be greatly improved and further diversified when you get bothe the free update and the expansion.

ETA for this, by the way? I'm trying to cajole some friends into buying the game, and new content will help. I've read the last page of your posts but haven't seen it.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Is there a max size for support ships? I don't think I've ever gone above size 100.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Fat Samurai posted:

ETA for this, by the way? I'm trying to cajole some friends into buying the game, and new content will help. I've read the last page of your posts but haven't seen it.

Soonish, but it's not announced yet. We'll be announcing the specific date probably in the next two weeks. Patch/update will launch at the same time as the expansion.

Vodos posted:

Is there a max size for support ships?

Nope. However large you want them to be. Just make sure the thing carrying them around has the capacity for them. If your support is Size 250 and there's 250 Capacity on the flagship, then you get exactly that one support ship and nothing else.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

lazorexplosion posted:

I found it made them overshoot more, if anything. Not that it matters, I'm making the brawlers size 1 chaff to run ahead of the fleet and troll the enemies into shooting their megadeathkill torpedoes and missiles so they're reloading when the actual ships turn up.

That's what I ended up doing myself - My "Baby Tanktopus" design had 3 separate 'pods' with Command Decks and armor and engines, all connected by a single Railgun mount. They took a ridiculous amount of killing, with all three redundant pods needing to be destroyed to actually take the ship out.

Firgof posted:

:hawaaaafap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So anyone got some general tips for building verdant ships? They seem like they'd be fun to make.

• Locked thread