Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If I learned one thing about cosmetics from The Secret World it's that hundreds of people will pay $2 for a loving in-game horse head mask. And I am one of them.

God I hope this game supports ruining others' immersion.

gently caress I love the Secret World's well world.

I wish Funcom would release another game in that universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the outfit code thing in the OP just applied to your UPlay account, or does it send you an actual PSN/XBL/etc. code to redeem?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dexo posted:

gently caress I love the Secret World's well world.

I wish Funcom would release another game in that universe.

They did, it was called The Park

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If I learned one thing about cosmetics from The Secret World it's that hundreds of people will pay $2 for a loving in-game horse head mask. And I am one of them.

God I hope this game supports ruining others' immersion.

If I can't get this skin for my Go Bag, I am gonna be sad.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Unlocking fancy dresses with points for a game that's not even out for another 6 days.

Hey, remember the outcry when you could buy a shiny horse armor for Oblivion a couple of years back? :allears:

that was in 2006 you old fart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also this stuff is free.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Aphrodite posted:

Is the outfit code thing in the OP just applied to your UPlay account, or does it send you an actual PSN/XBL/etc. code to redeem?

I just tried it and it sent me a blank line where the code was supposed to be.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Mmk, gots ma broker outfit.

What should I spend these other 30 credits on?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Aphrodite posted:

Also this stuff is free.

But at what cost?!?!?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Weapon skin.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

It doesn't really matter since during the course of playing the game you'll get enough uBucks to unlock everything.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

coolest unlock is the rainbow six siege one. i just hope it comes with a tactical scarf

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like the idea of using achievement points to unlock cosmetic stuff in other games and its probably the only cool idea ubisoft/uplay has going for it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LCL-Dead posted:

After reinstalling and playing AC3 yesterday I remember now why I stopped with less than 30% progress.

I might buy up Black Flag since that's the last one I was even remotely interested in and it's coming on recommendation from you guys now. I trust goons. I am a horrible person.

The fact that ubisoft hasn't just copied the naval combat from that game, and maybe some of the sword fighting and built a full on pirate sim where you can roll around/buy/upgrade ships et al is honestly a giant lost opportunity. Every single person I have talked to that plays the asscreed games has stated that this particular iteration was amazing, and largely due to the naval stuff, up to and including swinging across the decks on a rope and murdering the enemy captain.

Also blackbeard owns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsAqMyxl8cI

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I still hate making the decision between playing multiplayer games on the console vs. the PC. Obviously the PC will look better, but the usual issues are:

1. PC version has rampant cheating
2. PC players are at a strong disadvantage unless they use mouse+keyboard

Hopefully the cheating shouldn't be as bad as Dark Souls (for example), but it's still completely hosed:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-pc-beta-is-easy-to-hack-update/1100-6434364/

I've been using a controller + a big TV for years down, and I almost never go to my computer desk because that corner of my uninsulated apartment is cold as balls in the winter.

Is it reasonable just to go straight to the PS4 version and call it a day?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Slanderer posted:

I still hate making the decision between playing multiplayer games on the console vs. the PC. Obviously the PC will look better, but the usual issues are:

1. PC version has rampant cheating
2. PC players are at a strong disadvantage unless they use mouse+keyboard

Hopefully the cheating shouldn't be as bad as Dark Souls (for example), but it's still completely hosed:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-pc-beta-is-easy-to-hack-update/1100-6434364/

I've been using a controller + a big TV for years down, and I almost never go to my computer desk because that corner of my uninsulated apartment is cold as balls in the winter.

They've already stated all their anti-hack stuff was off for the beta specifically so they could catch this stuff early. They are using fairfight, which is pretty drat good at catching cheat/hacks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously that Open Beta and Closed beta probably did wonders for seeding their Fair Fight information.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Fairfight is good because it does not rely on catching a running hack but instead catches you when you do stuff you can't do without hacks. It works good for BF4.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sandweed posted:

Fairfight is good because it does not rely on catching a running hack but instead catches you when you do stuff you can't do without hacks. It works good for BF4.

Yep, games that use it are usually bad with Hackers for about a month or so then it p much seems to everything.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I gotta ask since this keeps getting brought up.... where are these ravening hordes of hackers, exactly? Outside of lovely F2P games I don't think I've seen blatant hacking for more than 30 seconds in a game in years. Or are people just taking every OMG U KILL ME U HAX comment seriously, cause poo poo, then yeah literally every semi-decent shooter player on PC is definitely a hacker and it's a massive problem.

PB was a pain in the dick to work with, but it did it's job decently enough, and now with Fairfight/VAC it's really drat rare to see people pulling that poo poo.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 2, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Slanderer posted:

This is a more RPG-ish game so you might do okay even at a control scheme disadvantage. It's likely going to be more important to plan ahead and get the jump on people than be a quickscoping MLG pro shooter. That said I have almost the same situation with both my PS4 and computer on a TV and I chose to go with the PS4. Mostly it's out of convenience; I'm not loving around with VOIP poo poo or finding people poo poo or any performance issues (though crashes still happen). I can just sit down and join some people I see online and cut out the bullshit. I have plenty of other PC games that play much better with my wireless KB+M so I don't feel any guilt when I buy something for console that I could play on the PC. I don't ride the leading edge on PC specs either so the graphical advantage is rarely great.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This was during a free weekend so obviously it's the outlier but the first and only match of Modern Warfare 2 I joined had people bouncing fifty feet in the air and machine gunning grenades.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Dexo posted:

Yep, games that use it are usually bad with Hackers for about a month or so then it p much seems to everything.

BF4 got a bad wrap for hackers. It was way way way better than BF3 was on anti-cheat. I think a lot of players confused public servers and moderated ones and just assumed it was DICE's fault.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

its like a bad recurring nightmare, every handful of posts someone is bitching about controller and or hackers on the PC...what in the flying gently caress is going on?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dead Like Rev posted:

its like a bad recurring nightmare, every handful of posts someone is bitching about controller and or hackers on the PC...what in the flying gently caress is going on?

Don't read games threads in the week leading up to release. All the info's come out, there's nothing to discuss, so people just get hostile and/or stupid as gently caress. Happens every time unless it's a COD thread because COD threads are hostile and stupid 100% of the time

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dead Like Rev posted:

You could ignore it or try to offer some advice like I did :kiddo:

But yeah there's basically nothing solid to say until next week, go watch some videos in the Superhot thread or something

JimmyTurtle
Jun 20, 2010

The Tribbles Ate My Loot!

super macho dude posted:

1: dogs, guys named Alex wearing hoodies, NYFD 9/11 survivors

2: no

Wonder if the prevalence of Alexes among rioters is a Prototype joke?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No one's being too hostile tho?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dexo posted:

Seriously that Open Beta and Closed beta probably did wonders for seeding their Fair Fight information.

Thanks, I didn't see that mentioned by Ubisoft previously.

CrashCat posted:

This is a more RPG-ish game so you might do okay even at a control scheme disadvantage. It's likely going to be more important to plan ahead and get the jump on people than be a quickscoping MLG pro shooter. That said I have almost the same situation with both my PS4 and computer on a TV and I chose to go with the PS4. Mostly it's out of convenience; I'm not loving around with VOIP poo poo or finding people poo poo or any performance issues (though crashes still happen). I can just sit down and join some people I see online and cut out the bullshit. I have plenty of other PC games that play much better with my wireless KB+M so I don't feel any guilt when I buy something for console that I could play on the PC. I don't ride the leading edge on PC specs either so the graphical advantage is rarely great.

The existence of sniper rifles and headshot damage makes snap-shot shooting somewhat important (potentially), depending on how the final netcode irons out (MMO-like shooters have always had problems with latency and badly implemented clientside prediction). I was doing ridiculous damage with one in the last beta, but I often couldn't get a second shot to register reliably on a sprinting target, which somewhat removed the advantage.

Naturally Selected posted:

I gotta ask since this keeps getting brought up.... where are these ravening hordes of hackers, exactly? Outside of lovely F2P games I don't think I've seen blatant hacking for more than 30 seconds in a game in years. Or are people just taking every OMG U KILL ME U HAX comment seriously, cause poo poo, then yeah literally every semi-decent shooter player on PC is definitely a hacker and it's a massive problem.

PB was a pain in the dick to work with, but it did it's job decently enough, and now with Fairfight/VAC it's really drat rare to see people pulling that poo poo.

Dark Souls.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

forgot I was a uplay member, logged in, discovered I had 180 credits to gently caress around with.

broker outfit, credits pack, weapon skin, lets do this :getin:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Slanderer posted:

Dark Souls.

A game that expressly never even had so much as a sanity check, let alone an anti-cheat solution implemented. Yeah that's definitely gonna be the case with all the other games on PC, as well :v:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That weapon skin looked ugly as gently caress.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

A game that expressly never even had so much as a sanity check, let alone an anti-cheat solution implemented. Yeah that's definitely gonna be the case with all the other games on PC, as well :v:

Yes

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Akion posted:

They've already stated all their anti-hack stuff was off for the beta specifically so they could catch this stuff early. They are using fairfight, which is pretty drat good at catching cheat/hacks.

Cant wait too see how good it is when I set my health to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 with cheat engine. Does fairfight check the registers? is the character data stored server side or on my computer?

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-reviews-what-to-expect-on-launch-day/

Division launch times are out. Woo.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GTA online.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Sandweed posted:

I had to install and play siege to unlock the siege jacket, and the origins stuff will probably be added as free DLC down the line.

I tried to get the 20% of code, now I'm 200 uclub points down and I still don't have a code. Anyone gotten it to work?

Apparently just playing the R6: Siege beta was enough to unlock the jacket for me.

Aww yeah, another 9pm unlock for the West Coast

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Floppychop posted:

GTA online.

MGS:V too, at least for the first few months.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tenzarin posted:

Cant wait too see how good it is when I set my health to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 with cheat engine. Does fairfight check the registers? is the character data stored server side or on my computer?

oooh i bet they didnt think of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

So whoever it was that said 1800GMT and me repeating it are both idiots. Hell yeah, midnight release.

• Locked thread