Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

LegalPad posted:

It's not like a traditional MMO where most of your activities are regulated by your character level. You can almost immediately start building a boat to do deep water fishing, catching horses for breeding, planting crops, whatever. Each "activity" is involved and usually provides you with some kind of income and a deep progression path.

I'm sure I can point you in the right direction if you tell me what your interests are.

How do you get ponies and a house. Also how do I build a boat. What's the path to this? And what's the purpose in leveling, pvp? There's no PVE in this game, correct?

If leveling is best by grinding, why are there so many quests? There's like 50 options on the main menu and the UI is hella cluttered, what's important? What do the icons over NPC heads mean? Why do the dialogue minigame?

That's only a few that come to mind of not being clear through the in game descriptions. I'm sure some goon can make a post or guide over what's important and some of the basic things you can do and not make it 60 pages of :words:

Maybe some pictures, as those are easier for our simple minds. I do want to know how to get a pony and house though, and how to outfit the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pooned posted:

I bought the travellers pack but it says "head start access only possible with pre-order package". Is there delay in the launch or do my pack not considered "pre-order" because I bought it so late? I bought it two days ago.

Even though the game isn't technically out, buying the game now doesn't amount to having a pre-order. I honestly dont understand why they didn't allow people to buy the game and immediately get into the early access other than Korea or some database issues. Both are equally probable.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Pooned posted:

I bought the travellers pack but it says "head start access only possible with pre-order package". Is there delay in the launch or is my pack not considered "pre-order" because I bought it so late? I bought it two days ago.

You had to have purchased it before February 26 to get into the head start.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
So, regarding PVP. Castle Sieges and territory battles will be enabled a few weeks post-launch? Are siege weapons and things like that player-crafted? Are there any non-combat roles in sieges like maintaining food supply or things like that?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Food is important in this game?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^^ you eat food to increase your max HP

Ahdinko posted:

Cheers mate, from what I'm reading, the Scrooge McDuck package gets 3 guest passes. I don't think I actually got you on Steam so if you could PM me over one that'd be grand. I'll run around with you in game and we can get spacerich/searich again from playing the market.

Kalstrams, what classes are unaffected or least affected by lag? I was on the EU server during the beta but I'll come over to the US one so I can be with goons, so I guess I'll get about 150ms too like Stormgale

I get my passes at launch so ill send you on then, and honestly im playing a super fast paced class (sorceress) and it's going fine on my 150. A lot of moneymaking is solo as there isnt much in the way of trading, i'll happily help you out/take you on fishing trips tho.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Drythe posted:

How do you get ponies and a house. Also how do I build a boat. What's the path to this? And what's the purpose in leveling, pvp? There's no PVE in this game, correct?

If leveling is best by grinding, why are there so many quests? There's like 50 options on the main menu and the UI is hella cluttered, what's important? What do the icons over NPC heads mean? Why do the dialogue minigame?

That's only a few that come to mind of not being clear through the in game descriptions. I'm sure some goon can make a post or guide over what's important and some of the basic things you can do and not make it 60 pages of :words:

Maybe some pictures, as those are easier for our simple minds. I do want to know how to get a pony and house though, and how to outfit the house.

To get pony: Level your animal training to 5, talk to the stable master at velia and get a rope, go find horse.

Boat: Get a boat workshop (velia has one) get materials, have workers craft boat.

Levelling: Quests are for contribution XP, how you get nodes and get into the crafting system. if you just wanna fight guys and pvp and live like a murderhobo you can ignore all non black spirit quest.

Dialogue Minigame: Some NPCs will give you things for higher reputation, unique stocks (like one vendor has endgame weapons for you if he likes you) more information (to get energy and for the minigame) or quests.

I can go into more detail if anyone wants, Post here, PM me or get me on mumble when i'm on, i'll do my best to help friends.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Drythe posted:

^^God dammit Stormgale.

You can tame horses once you have Lvl 5 training. You rank that up by riding the donkey you get from the quest chain.

Your slaves build boats at shipyards. They range from poo poo raft to yacht. You can also upgrade them with better parts to improve speed turning etc.

There isn't really any large scale PvE currently. Some of the large scale PvP is coming in updates as well.

Quests are to increase your energy (let's you take more actions) and contribution (let's you own more real estate).

Dialogue mini game unlocks more items quests, energy, contribution, etc.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Get on my level son.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Mech battle chicken orcs filled castle which were dancing, bowing and then falling over.

A++ would grind again

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

How does one get slaves

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Drythe posted:

How does one get slaves

From some quests or talk to the workplace supervisor for 5 energy to view 1 and money to buy (pickaxe Icon on the map), you need lodgings for them (a building type) and a few npcs you can recruit with the talking minigame

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Ok. How do I get lodgings? and Which npcs do I need to recruit?

If I'm at the start of the game, what do I need to do in order to get slaves?

And to confirm I talk to the supervisor for 5 energy and then buy a slave from him? But I need a house to put them in?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Drythe posted:

And to confirm I talk to the supervisor for 5 energy and then buy a slave from him? But I need a house to put them in?

In velia press M, click on the town youll want the row of houses buy the inn. Don't worry about recruiting specific Npcs yet

Reach Velia

Talking to the supervisor to look at 1 person is 5 energy, if you like them you pay money to buy the slave.

If you want to look at someone else that is another 5 energy

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Drythe posted:

i can answer the second: velia has the first NPC that you can purchase workers at, there's no pre-req other then talking to him and watching/cancelling his cutscene where he browbeats a goblin for being a fuckup

e: you will need to make food to feed your workers btw, beer is the cheapest thing to make that works effectively

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm glad I can just supply my slaves with beer for nutrition.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

Kalstrams, what classes are unaffected or least affected by lag? I was on the EU server during the beta but I'll come over to the US one so I can be with goons, so I guess I'll get about 150ms too like Stormgale
None are unaffected, lest affected are Berserker, Valkyrie, and Warrior. Beats me what Internet has to be though for class selection to really matter, as I'm comfortably playing ranger over 170+.

bonds0097 posted:

So, regarding PVP. Castle Sieges and territory battles will be enabled a few weeks post-launch? Are siege weapons and things like that player-crafted? Are there any non-combat roles in sieges like maintaining food supply or things like that?
Yes, yes, not really.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
pro tip for tiny honey bees

lightly tap a nest and run

watch bees fly out

kill bees

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

quote:

How do you get a pony.....

If you continue following the quests into and around Velia, you will eventually get a donkey as a reward. Alternatively you can buy a donkey or a very low quality horse from a stable master. To tame a real horse yourself, you first need to achieve training level 5. You get training EXP every time you level up a mount, and this happens naturally as you ride it around but does take some time. So as soon as you get 15k silver, I would recommend simply buying the beginners horse from the stable master and using that until you get training 5.

As for taming a horse yourself, you need to buy several capturing rope from a stable, and make lumps of sugar. Lumps of sugar can be made by clicking the [produce] button in your inventory, then [heating], then put in 1 mineral water and 10 raw sugar. Both of these ingredients can be bought from inn keepers among other NPC's. Then you need to find a wild horse, play the roping minigame, play the approaching/wrestling minigame, give it a sugar, wait at least 10 seconds, and then attempt to mount it with 'R'. This is an okay tool to find some of the horse locations http://www.blackdeserttome.com/map/ and they appear to be on a 1-2 hour timer.

quote:

......and a house.

Open up your map, click on a big town icon, and look through the housing options. Blue houses are available to you, and other houses in a series will become blue when you rent the prerequisite house. For example you must first rent 1-1 to rent 1-2. The information listed when you click a house (residence, lodging, storage, etc...) are your options for what you can can do with that house. Renting houses costs Contribution Points and silver. You can always sell the house back and get your CP refunded, but you lose the silver. Fortunately the silver cost is insignificant, so go hog wild.

quote:

...what's the purpose in leveling, pvp? There's no PVE in this game, correct?

Leveling your character will unlocks more combat quests, allow you to fight stronger mobs with better loot, and give you more freedom to explore and gather out in the wild without having to wear special costumes. There's PVE, but not much as far as traditional end-game content. So while there's plenty of mobs to kill and loot to hoard, there's no 5-man style dungeons. PVP is a big reason too.

quote:

If leveling is best by grinding, why are there so many quests?
Every skill in the game has it's own EXP and level progression. Killing mobs won't increase your alchemy skill, and making potions won't level your character very fast. Quests give a variety of EXP rewards and usually reward contribution points (EXP) which are used for almost everything. Many quests also give very simple rewards such as regenerating a few energy points for you instantly.

quote:

UI is scarey.
This game takes a steaming info-dump right on your head. There's not much you can do about it other than methodically go through it all at your own leisure and learn what each piece does. There's simply too much to cover in a single guide -- you have to experiment.

quote:

Conversation mini game.
When you open a regular dialogue with an NPC by hitting 'R', you will see any possible amity rewards on the bottom left. The conversation mini game allows you to increase your amity and unlock those rewards. The usual stuff is additional quests and pieces of knowledge. Collecting knowledge will give you more 'cards' to play the conversation game with and completing knowledge categories will reward you with +1 max energy. Virtually every item and mob in the game has knowledge associated with it that can be earned by obtaining enough or killing enough.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Protip:

Don't ever actually exit the game. If you minimize it, and click Confirm on the dialogue box that comes up, it enters a minimal resource state without disconnecting you.

This way, you still get time accrued bonuses for login rewards, you can keep fishing or doing whatever other AFK activity you're working on (fishing is awesome for this especially with higher tier poles where you can fish all day while you work), and your workers will still go about doing their tasks.

I fished all night in a city, woke up with another few hundred thousand silver in fish in my inventory, and all the jobs I set to run overnight are done for me to process later today. Can't turn my nose up at that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

Protip:

Don't ever actually exit the game. If you minimize it, and click Confirm on the dialogue box that comes up, it enters a minimal resource state without disconnecting you.

This way, you still get time accrued bonuses for login rewards, you can keep fishing or doing whatever other AFK activity you're working on (fishing is awesome for this especially with higher tier poles where you can fish all day while you work), and your workers will still go about doing their tasks.

I fished all night in a city, woke up with another few hundred thousand silver in fish in my inventory, and all the jobs I set to run overnight are done for me to process later today. Can't turn my nose up at that.

But why would they encourage server saturation, unless...

the client is a bitcoin miner, isn't it?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Re: Amity mini-game

I've only had limited exposure to it so far, but is there a concrete guide on it somewhere? At work and most options are either not indepth at all or blocked.

My experimentation has resulted in "put the highest percentage interest first, then try to connect to high amity rewards" but I feel thats incorrect.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Rafza posted:

I've only had limited exposure to it so far, but is there a concrete guide on it somewhere? At work and most options are either not indepth at all or blocked.

My experimentation has resulted in "put the highest percentage interest first, then try to connect to high amity rewards" but I feel thats incorrect.

I've yet to find a really good guide on it because the translation has changed several times on all of the variables. The basic thing you have to do is fulfill the random goal at the top of the screen, otherwise none of your progress can be applied towards amity.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Kimsemus posted:

Protip:

Oh, do workers not do poo poo while you're offline?

Regarding fishing, how do you deal with your inventory clogging up? Or does your inventory actually get big enough at some point that you can afk fish for 8 hours?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^ Just keep getting inventory, remember your rod is probably gonna be about 1.5-2 durability a fish (counting for random seaweed)

Kimsemus posted:

Protip:

:eyepop: Most I've gotten so far from AFK fishing is like 160k

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 2, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

bonds0097 posted:

Regarding fishing, how do you deal with your inventory clogging up? Or does your inventory actually get big enough at some point that you can afk fish for 8 hours?

They will only complete the last order they are working on, not any others you have queued up. Also WTB lots of beer.

Stormgale posted:

:eyepop: Most I've gotten so far from AFK fishing is like 160k

Woke up this morning to a ton of blue fish, felt good man.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

Woke up this morning to a ton of blue fish, felt good man.

Gold fish are where it's at, also we should do some grinding tonight man.

Speaking of money:

:siren:Money in this game actually weighs poo poo, feel free to convert your money into (lighter) gold bars at storage vendors or storing it somewhere:siren:

Kikilupo
Apr 3, 2005

Rafza posted:

Look at the top of the screen and do what it tells you to do. Sometimes its "Get x amount of favor" or "Fail Interest X amount of time". Things like that. To save energy, dont collect the amity points, just continue, you can run it about 4 times before it ends.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Stormgale posted:

take you on fishing trips tho.

Oh god I'm getting flashbacks.

I did enough fishing in the beta to get my Master Baiter title though, so I will be the best fisherman in all the lands

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
I just sent this to lewtt to put in the OP, but in the meantime:

Starfleet Dental (SFD) opens its flabby arms to goons on Edan server. We are a competitive Guild Wars 2 raid guild that has branched out into casual Black Desert Online animal husbandry. Great Successor Arus and Grand General Visidan couldn’t be arsed, so Notable Member Probad will be leading the effort. We are an equal-opportunity employer of non-dickheads. To apply, register on our forums and follow the directions in Public Registration.

Website / Forums / SA Thread / YouTube / Steam Group / #sfdental on irc.synirc.net

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kikilupo posted:

Look at the top of the screen and do what it tells you to do. Sometimes its "Get x amount of favor" or "Fail Interest X amount of time". Things like that. To save energy, dont collect the amity points, just continue, you can run it about 4 times before it ends.

Be careful on risky ones, if you don't cash out your amity and fail the next goal you get 0

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Is anyone PVPing yet? What's it like to kill a man in this game?

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Any EU goons playing on US? How does the latency feel?

I know about stuff being calculated in the client but still ... how does it feel?

(Note: play/played GW2 on US servers and had no problems 99% of the time so just wondering)

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Rafza posted:

My observations - only thing that matter are the displayed % chance (sparking interest?) and the number immediately below it (favor?). So those 100% success chance with 0 favor are mostly useless. Additionally, it seems there's some kind of success bonus, where having multiple successes increases success chance. So order things high to low.

I don't generally bother with the topics with delayed modifiers, since the success bonus seems much more impactful. Though if two topics are otherwise equivalent, obviously put the one with a delayed modifier where it would matter.

bonds0097 posted:

They do work offline. Farming apparently doesn't though.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 2, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

univbee posted:

But why would they encourage server saturation, unless...

the client is a bitcoin miner, isn't it?

They want to make the world feel and look full

like my rear end

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

Drythe posted:

I'm glad I can just supply my slaves with beer for nutrition.

We are waiting for the implementation of breeding slaves. You can feed them beer, you can even sell them to others, you just cannot breed them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

madstrike posted:

Any EU goons playing on US? How does the latency feel?

I know about stuff being calculated in the client but still ... how does it feel?

(Note: play/played GW2 on US servers and had no problems 99% of the time so just wondering)

Ping is fine, I've been enjoying it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

lurksion posted:

They do work offline. Farming apparently doesn't though.

Considering things can go wrong while farming and that the amount of stuff it's got decreases if it's unpicked for a long time, this is actually OK!

Codekeeper
Feb 10, 2013

Innocence proves nothing.

These idiots are still talking about the potato-laden poo poo barge. Some actually believed my explanation. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Have they given any information when Blader/Plum are being released? I enjoy Warrior but I'm probably going to level a Blader or Plum when I want to run around and do a lot of solo poo poo.

Warrior hands down appears to be better for groups though because they're built like a brick shithouse.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 2, 2016