Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ZenMaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uYnwqlslU

Watch this and see how many times the dev says "no" to features.

Pff. What a hack. It's almost as if he has a singular vision for what he wants to deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Liu posted:

does this sex scene have quicktime events

Press SPACE BAR to use the "safe word".

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fair point, and I could see that making sense although I'm not sure how well that works with the idea of everything being wireless and internal to the ship. I would be more inclined to allow players to have ultimate freedom when changing between roles (Oh poo poo John bought it, somebody jump in that repair drone!) and instead make boarding be about limiting capabilities. For example players could decide to control the ship from a well armored and protected room, but that would mean leaving engineering, drone control, and sensors undefended. My goal with the design was to minimize player "downtime" as much as possible, and I consider walking down corridors to be part of that. One thing that could balance it is if players had the ability to disrupt internal communications (could be part of electronic warfare), and the ease at which communication is disrupted depends on your location. If you're controlling a drone far outside of Drone Control then your connection could be severed by a hack attack, but if you're physically inside Drone Control then your link would be much more secure.

Well, the walk from one station to another only need last 10-15 seconds or so while running, not long enough to really be a pain, but long enough to make the player worry a little about what's going on outside while they're disconnected from the external sensors. I understand you want to reduce downtime, but a little downtime can have an emotional effect on the player that makes the game more satisfying and exciting. I guess my worry with your approach is that players would only really need to navigate around the inside of the ship while boarding was in progress, which would reduce the experience of actually feeling like you were in the ship rather than being a sort of virtual pilot.

Anyways, I read this review a few weeks back of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, which uses similar mechanics. It's entirely possible that it wouldn't scale up that well into full 3D though!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-09-lovers-in-a-dangerous-spacetime-review

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Tonight I will find HOT PVP ACTION

I need to try to do that as well, when I'm done with this stupid report. I need more footage of mads for another video.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So do I just fly to a security post and hang around like a weirdo?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

So do I just fly to a security post and hang around like a weirdo?

In my experience, hopping between Port Olisar, Security Post Kareah, Covalex Shipping Hub, and the CryAstro Repair Station (God why do I remember those names, that could have been useful information) is the best way to run into people. The comm relays are pretty barren, but people tend to gather around those stations to gank nonconsensual pvp people. Particulary at CryAstro, where they are hoping they can blast someone who is already low on health and coming in for repairs. The security post is a decent place to wait for a minute, because lots of people want to run in to get their machinegun for maximum SpaceTough. It's fun to steal their ship when they go inside and then make them watch you leave/crash.

Some players will also try and "interdict" you by opening their QT menu and watching what destination you point you ship at, then jumping in right behind you. It's a pretty common strategy, so if you jump in somewhere and then hear that "whoosh" noise of someone else jumping in, turn around for fight-times. If I'm having problems finding people I usually go gently caress around at Olisar until I see someone launch and then try to bait them into chasing me.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

That's very possible, I just don't think it matters.

I'm certainly not basing my own viewpoint on anything that Derek or EightAce says, but more what CiG is doing in a context of a pump'n'dump almost ponzi that is beginning to get close to being, as they say at the SEC, 'rumbled'.

EightAce is more icing on a particuarly enormous drama-cake.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chalks posted:

That's where you start to tumble down the CR rabbit hole, gotta have a wide variety of diverse and fun jobs for players each with logical and rewarding progression. It's a balance nightmare before you even get to the normal combat and economic balance that every MMO has to cope with.

It does sound awesome to have a game where the fundamental "player" unit isn't just a single guy but a crew of guys though. You start off as a single captain of a crappy one seater ship and as your reputation grows you can hire additional crew that stay with you, increasing their experience and getting upgrades as you go. Like a full 3d MMO version of FTL crossed with Mount & Blade. Players could combine their resources to pilot a huge ship, but ultimately given enough time you could get there yourself.

I wish I had $110 million to make something like that. Any one want to buy a picture of a space ship? No mocapped celebrities guaranteed!

That would be cool. I still haven't played Mount & Blade but I keep on hearing good things about it. I do agree that, whatever you come up, the scope has to be constrained so that once you have an idea it's locked down. HBS is definitely doing it the right way by creating a vertical slice coupled with the basic technical development before moving on to asset generation in a year or so.

Dusty Lens posted:

The fun factor diminishes super rapidly for each job in my experience. It is with some irony that one notes that SC does not seem to be a game that is focused on multicrew. The entire game is focused around the pilot, he has access to every control and the best you can hope to do is give someone else the ability to move shields around or to take firepower away from the pilot to ineffectively point it in another direction at a target that can effortlessly tank a pair of weak lasers with an 8% hit rate.

Games like GoI that are focused around the crew experience have a clear hierarchy of crew roles and you build your strategy around those, the map, your opponent and the loadout you plan to bring. The fun is shared because it's entirely a cooperate effort. Or you have games like PS2, which is based to deal with a sandbox rather than a strictly arena environment. In PS2 the vehicles fluctuate between pilot centered and crew served, but rarely actively encourage more than two or three participants. Furthermore those vehicles that have a role for 3+ people generally focus the effective firepower into just two seats.

Basically it's a observable rule of balance that means that most of the time if you jump/pull a crew served vehicle you'll know what your distinct role is and what you're signing up for if you jump in. SC doesn't seem to know what they want to do with their additional seats to the point of no one really having any idea to this day regarding how the second seat in the Super Hornet is supposed to function. At best they act like the tertiary "give them something to do" seats in PS2 without some kind of strategic additive role to justify giving up another ship. Either from a clinical strategic view or in terms of fun for the poor bastards sitting in the back of your autism chariot.

If you're sitting behind the big gun on a Liberator in PS2 you get the satisfaction of waiting for the pilot to put something you get to make explode into your crosshairs. If you sit in the back of a Gladiator you get to, at best, plink at something while the pilot has the fun or, at the worst, accidentally sit in a seat on the Constellation and move shields around.

This game isn't designed for anything. But it's most certainly not designed to give meaningful roles to second seats. Which is fairly shocking giving the number of ships that have additional seats, even if they don't survive intact from concept to execution.

All good points, and you're right about diminishing returns. Whatever the role is, it has to be as distinct and fun as the pilot. So in my little example being a drone operator is likely as engaging as being the pilot of the main ship, but being the engineer probably wouldn't be. In SC terms it's the difference between being the guy pushing buttons on the shield console vs the guy in the Merlin. Star Citizen seems to be going on the assumption that every mini-game will be created equal. The more that I think about it the more the I think the question to be asked should be "is this task something that benefits from a human, or is it better done with an AI"? Shield and power management seems to be something that would be better done by a computer; there's no real skill in making sure that the low bit gets reinforced or that the shields facing the bad guy are the stronger ones. At least assuming the system is similar to what's been previously done. I kind of like the idea of making starship combat be a relatively long distance affair, with ships trading shots and players doing a sort of cat-and-mouse with protecting and firing on components.

Maybe systems take a different tack in my fake starship game. Maybe instead of it being about flying the ship a la Star Citizen or Elite, it's closer to a 3D FtL where you choose where your weapon systems fire and attacks are exchanged over a large distance. Shields could be sectional in nature and players have the choice of reinforcing certain areas (or even protecting a single component). Similarly weapons could be extremely precise and allow you to specifically target individual points. Who knows, that might provide some balance and interest to something other than being the pilot.

Gerblyn posted:

Well, the walk from one station to another only need last 10-15 seconds or so while running, not long enough to really be a pain, but long enough to make the player worry a little about what's going on outside while they're disconnected from the external sensors. I understand you want to reduce downtime, but a little downtime can have an emotional effect on the player that makes the game more satisfying and exciting. I guess my worry with your approach is that players would only really need to navigate around the inside of the ship while boarding was in progress, which would reduce the experience of actually feeling like you were in the ship rather than being a sort of virtual pilot.

Anyways, I read this review a few weeks back of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, which uses similar mechanics. It's entirely possible that it wouldn't scale up that well into full 3D though!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-09-lovers-in-a-dangerous-spacetime-review

That's really cool, and makes for a compelling argument about individual stations in my fake space game. It would also provide some compelling arguments for various ship designs, offering an additional level of complexity based on whatever style ship you chose. Perhaps one style of ships has stations close together but doesn't perform as well, while another ship is incredibly powerful but stations are far apart.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

I'll keep my 'told you so' in my back pocket then. Just exercise caution, Nerds.

What, by not giving him money?

I think we're covered.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SinJin posted:

Press SPACE BAR to use the "safe word".

Safe word is <<USE>>

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

All good points, and you're right about diminishing returns. Whatever the role is, it has to be as distinct and fun as the pilot. So in my little example being a drone operator is likely as engaging as being the pilot of the main ship, but being the engineer probably wouldn't be. In SC terms it's the difference between being the guy pushing buttons on the shield console vs the guy in the Merlin. Star Citizen seems to be going on the assumption that every mini-game will be created equal. The more that I think about it the more the I think the question to be asked should be "is this task something that benefits from a human, or is it better done with an AI"? Shield and power management seems to be something that would be better done by a computer; there's no real skill in making sure that the low bit gets reinforced or that the shields facing the bad guy are the stronger ones. At least assuming the system is similar to what's been previously done. I kind of like the idea of making starship combat be a relatively long distance affair, with ships trading shots and players doing a sort of cat-and-mouse with protecting and firing on components.

The thing is though that being an engineer COULD be just as much fun if you take the time to build out each role in a distinct and gameplay-focused manner. My friends and I used to get together at my house every Friday night to play games and we would almost always end up playing Artemis Spaceship Simulator. While everybody had a favorite role, nobody had a role they refused to play.

For engineering it could be something as simple as making sure the engineer had enough settings gizmos to fiddle with in order to fulfill their "I'm givin' her all she's got, Captain!" fantasy, but also equipping them with some kind of "repair gun" sort of like the welder in Viscera Cleanup Detail. That adds a whole new dimension of gameplay that makes the engineering position stand apart from other positions due to its focus on mobility and first person mechanics.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
What if EightAce is the CIG employee assigned to watch this thread? Perfect cover.

Sandi: "What are the goons up to since I went to bed?"

8Ace: "Nothing... nothing at all..." :smuggo:

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 2, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

gently caress these people, seriously....

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

What CIG doesn't seem to realize about building out roles is that they need to be looking at it as though they are designing something with asymmetrical gameplay. Of course everybody is going to want to be their own pilot if the roles are homogenized and made entirely equal. The way to make roles appealing and interesting is to embrace their differences and focus them in a way that makes them stand out from other roles, much in the same way that playing as the marines in Natural Selection is vastly different than playing as the aliens. You want people to be ABLE to do any role, but you also want them to have a favorite role, and realistically with different ship manufacturers you could even tweak the roles just slightly enough that although the core functionality is the same the differences add a replayability factor that makes the game fun and engaging. Someone might be an MLG Engineer on Aegis ships, for example, but there's a different command input tree or user interface on RSI ships that would make gameplay varied and more engaging from ship to ship.

All of these "off" positions can be fun if you ask yourself "What is the core sci-fi experience of an engineer (or pilot or weapons guy or whatever) that makes it cool?" Boil down all the ways the position is portrayed in movies and shows and games to one or two sentences that flesh out 10-15 minutes of really fun gameplay, and then iterate on that until it feels solid enough to build a set of mechanics on. Oh, and do all that BEFORE you build the ships or choose the the engine.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That looks a lot smaller than the x universe map. Just sayin'

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6423905/#Comment_6423905

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

What CIG doesn't seem to realize about building out roles is that they need to be looking at it as though they are designing something with asymmetrical gameplay. Of course everybody is going to want to be their own pilot if the roles are homogenized and made entirely equal. The way to make roles appealing and interesting is to embrace their differences and focus them in a way that makes them stand out from other roles, much in the same way that playing as the marines in Natural Selection is vastly different than playing as the aliens. You want people to be ABLE to do any role, but you also want them to have a favorite role, and realistically with different ship manufacturers you could even tweak the roles just slightly enough that although the core functionality is the same the differences add a replayability factor that makes the game fun and engaging. Someone might be an MLG Engineer on Aegis ships, for example, but there's a different command input tree or user interface on RSI ships that would make gameplay varied and more engaging from ship to ship.

I am now picturing Puzzle Pirates in 3D in space, and that's a game I'd buy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Doug Sisk posted:

I am now picturing Puzzle Pirates in 3D in space, and that's a game I'd buy.

Well I wouldn't be too hasty... I clearly don't understand games development :gary:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

The thing is though that being an engineer COULD be just as much fun if you take the time to build out each role in a distinct and gameplay-focused manner. My friends and I used to get together at my house every Friday night to play games and we would almost always end up playing Artemis Spaceship Simulator. While everybody had a favorite role, nobody had a role they refused to play.

For engineering it could be something as simple as making sure the engineer had enough settings gizmos to fiddle with in order to fulfill their "I'm givin' her all she's got, Captain!" fantasy, but also equipping them with some kind of "repair gun" sort of like the welder in Viscera Cleanup Detail. That adds a whole new dimension of gameplay that makes the engineering position stand apart from other positions due to its focus on mobility and first person mechanics.

True. For the 'repair gun' thing I thought that might be a fun job for the drone guys. It might actually be that "engineering" is actually a dedicated drone who runs around the ship repairing stuff and overcharging certain components, so that the "gizmos" that the engineer is fiddling with are actually things on the ship he has to access from the outside.

Beet Wagon posted:

All of these "off" positions can be fun if you ask yourself "What is the core sci-fi experience of an engineer (or pilot or weapons guy or whatever) that makes it cool?" Boil down all the ways the position is portrayed in movies and shows and games to one or two sentences that flesh out 10-15 minutes of really fun gameplay, and then iterate on that until it feels solid enough to build a set of mechanics on. Oh, and do all that BEFORE you build the ships or choose the the engine.

All very good points. The bottom line is that the gameplay has to be fun and carefully thought out, and not just tacked on like how multi-crew is with SC.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

fuctifino posted:

gently caress these people, seriously....

It's no Starflight map :colbert:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ewe2 posted:

Hello commandos! In keeping with our policy of release early, release often and hide the chairs its fatso, we bring you:

:pgabz: Yes! :pgabz: A Remix, freshly new and totally not at all a lame attempt to entice the dancey cat to use a better mix for his videos. Reminding potential dancey cat musicians that a flac backing track is here and words/chords here, all contributions welcome.

edit: Here's a compressed audacity project too.

I made a remix

Goddamn why do I make music for the thread

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I effortposted too hard and now I feel grief

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I made a remix

Goddamn why do I make music for the thread

You and ewe2 are :pgabz: level thread heroes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does CIG poo poo out any video content today?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The loving backwards hands...

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

*Pusher gives PC a slap*

: Ouch, that really intelligented!

: Well that's for embarrassing me last night. One would think someone aiming for citizenship would dress intelligently!

: Well I may not have your wardrobe, but I got street intelligents! I was orphaned on Terra and had a very rough childhood.

: Well I guess I shouldn't let my temper run away with me

~*fidelitous 4k sex scene*~

Now I really hope he just hits replace all. I would buy this game simply to hear someone say street intelligents.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
What are they saying in chat Lesnick?

Birds Sir. They want to know if the game will have birds.

Procedural Birds are in.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Why does Gary Oldman's twitter say Sandi Gardiner. Oh, that's actually her profile picture.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

redwalrus posted:

Procedural Birds are in.

I have to let you know: You made Tank Girl Barbie laugh :).

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm pretty loving sure that's a boss in Darkest Dungeon.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dusty Lens posted:

I don't care if EightAce is full of poo poo. The dude is selling it and it's entertaining. Any rear end in a top hat can tell that the ship is listing heavily and that the captain is locked up in his cabin. EightAce is just letting us know that the Captain is making GBS threads into plastic bags and refuses to eat anything but apples that have been pre-chewed by his favorite parrot. It's inconsequential but very entertaining.

The fun factor diminishes super rapidly for each job in my experience. It is with some irony that one notes that SC does not seem to be a game that is focused on multicrew. The entire game is focused around the pilot, he has access to every control and the best you can hope to do is give someone else the ability to move shields around or to take firepower away from the pilot to ineffectively point it in another direction at a target that can effortlessly tank a pair of weak lasers with an 8% hit rate.

Games like GoI that are focused around the crew experience have a clear hierarchy of crew roles and you build your strategy around those, the map, your opponent and the loadout you plan to bring. The fun is shared because it's entirely a cooperate effort. Or you have games like PS2, which is based to deal with a sandbox rather than a strictly arena environment. In PS2 the vehicles fluctuate between pilot centered and crew served, but rarely actively encourage more than two or three participants. Furthermore those vehicles that have a role for 3+ people generally focus the effective firepower into just two seats.

Basically it's a observable rule of balance that means that most of the time if you jump/pull a crew served vehicle you'll know what your distinct role is and what you're signing up for if you jump in. SC doesn't seem to know what they want to do with their additional seats to the point of no one really having any idea to this day regarding how the second seat in the Super Hornet is supposed to function. At best they act like the tertiary "give them something to do" seats in PS2 without some kind of strategic additive role to justify giving up another ship. Either from a clinical strategic view or in terms of fun for the poor bastards sitting in the back of your autism chariot.

If you're sitting behind the big gun on a Liberator in PS2 you get the satisfaction of waiting for the pilot to put something you get to make explode into your crosshairs. If you sit in the back of a Gladiator you get to, at best, plink at something while the pilot has the fun or, at the worst, accidentally sit in a seat on the Constellation and move shields around.

This game isn't designed for anything. But it's most certainly not designed to give meaningful roles to second seats. Which is fairly shocking giving the number of ships that have additional seats, even if they don't survive intact from concept to execution.

I thought about multi-crew for SP. The only thing I could come up with was a chair attached by a springy spring off the back of the ship, where you could man a bird-gun turret (with full 360 degree rotational control). You would have small thrusters to counteract being helplessly yanked around. You would effect ship dynamics a small amount, but not so much that it would be obnoxious to the pilot. Since you're on a spring, you won't just get hard-whipped around by the pilots maneuvering, but you will slingshot around when spring reaches max tension. I have a feeling it would be pretty fun. Collisions would be hilarious.

But yeah, as for standard shield/power-shunting/radar-manning, I always thought that sounded utterly funless when compared with just piloting a shep yourself.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

redwalrus posted:

Procedural Birds are in.

:perfect:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

- an important person was leaving (Patrick, confirmed in days)

Specifically in this case it was an important person involved in the Beer email chain - of which there were only 2 CIG people involved, one being Patrick and the other being Sandi.

That's basically him saying "Patrick is leaving" several days before it was announced.

Without a doubt, EightAce has inside information - regardless of whether you think he actually works there, knows someone who works there, works in the same building and picks up gossip... he has inside information.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I think multicrew can be super fun and rewarding so long as the roles and expectations synergize well. The pilot either gets to play the part of putting the ship right where it needs to go so the guy manning the big guns really gets to drop the hammer in a way that reflects two people cooperating. Or the secondary seat guy gets to man an effective weapon that either doubles down on the role of the main pilot or provides a secondary type of damage.

But when in doubt look to Mad Max and add more harpoons.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Shield and power management seems to be something that would be better done by a computer; there's no real skill in making sure that the low bit gets reinforced or that the shields facing the bad guy are the stronger ones. At least assuming the system is similar to what's been previously done. I kind of like the idea of making starship combat be a relatively long distance affair, with ships trading shots and players doing a sort of cat-and-mouse with protecting and firing on components.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Engines/shields are boring but being a Weapons Officer could be made fun. In normal mode the pilot controls both the ship and the main weapons but if you had a weapons officer in your crew he could take charge of the main guns which would allow something akin to Fallout VATS, make the weapons slightly more powerful, allow you to target subsystems and assist targeting with a weak aimbot so that as long as your shots were hitting the target they would hit that specific subsystem.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Wafflz posted:

:staredog:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Toops posted:

I thought about multi-crew for SP. The only thing I could come up with was a chair attached by a springy spring off the back of the ship, where you could man a bird-gun turret (with full 360 degree rotational control). You would have small thrusters to counteract being helplessly yanked around. You would effect ship dynamics a small amount, but not so much that it would be obnoxious to the pilot. Since you're on a spring, you won't just get hard-whipped around by the pilots maneuvering, but you will slingshot around when spring reaches max tension. I have a feeling it would be pretty fun. Collisions would be hilarious.

But yeah, as for standard shield/power-shunting/radar-manning, I always thought that sounded utterly funless when compared with just piloting a shep yourself.

Is SP the spiritual successor to Wing Commando?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

redwalrus posted:

Procedural Birds are in.

i like this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wafflz posted:

i legitimately hate that picture because every since it was pointed out to me I feel like I'm looking at a lovecraftian horror with backwards hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

EightAce isnt a troll in any sense. at best hes an insider lolling it up and making the most of a bad situation.

at worst he's a hype man for star citizens failure, just like the rest of us. even if his predictions are vague or non-specific, and if hes making them up, they all come true. thats the funniest part.

• Locked thread