Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Gunder posted:

Has Zangief ever been considered top tier in any Street Fighter?

I don't remember the actual tier list but he was quite strong in vanilla SF4, though Sagat was top tier and I don't think that matchup was very good for him. EX greenhand used to knock down, so that was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

He was pretty good in Alpha 2 and 3, I think. Not sure, just going by the Shoryuken wik.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

in the daigo manga there's a chapter about how good alpha 3 gief was before everyone used v-ism

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Gunder posted:

In Alpha 3, V-ism Gief danced around in top tier for a while, but these days he got bumped to high-mid. He's still good, but top tier in that game are too strong(Akuma and Sim, off the top of my head...I think Sodom was up there too).

Vanilla SF4 Gief was like Top 3-4.

Hyper Fighting Gief was really good. I dunno if he was top tier(probably not), but I remember he could do well vs most of the cast. Low invulnerability for Quick Lariat was amazing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I wish the game gave me some hint or indication that Rashid's H Hurricane Shot modified his V-Skill, or that his V-Trigger modified pretty much anything that passes through the tornado, even the unique attacks. Usually my V-Trigger strategy involves me jumping to the enemy's other side so I can trap them, but doing a f MP or f HP also look like great ways to close the distance. I think the fHP move counts as an overhead, too. Now I need to string better combos together and maybe, just maybe, I'll start winning some matches.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 2, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Man if there was a legit guide on how to make a hitbox from parts that I could find easily I might actually do it.

http://slagcoin.com/joystick.html

Just ignore the parts about the stick and get a hitbox template from somewhere. Have fun and I hope you have power tools.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Slowly improving, still haven't been able to land ex wall dive during combos. I'll get there eventually though. Been trying to beat hell survival as well so I've played a few ranked matches due to that. Pleased with my results there, I'm not as completely lovely as I thought.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Where do I get this?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've seen people mention they can option select the ender of chun's bnb by putting a forward in the middle of the the sbk or using a tk motion. So you get the sbk if you have enough charge and legs if you don't. Does anyone here do that? What do the inputs look like in training?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Potemkin was really really good in Guilty Gear XX AC, but I don't remember if he was actually top tier or not

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Gunder posted:

Alpha 3 Gief gets to activate V-ism and body splash tick into SPD 2x for free per activation. So yeah that was funny.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

AnonSpore posted:

Potemkin was really really good in Guilty Gear XX AC, but I don't remember if he was actually top tier or not

a buster was like 50% against most of the cast with a quarter bar midscreen and he could do the slidehead/giganter loop thing... i dont know if he was top but he was a god for sure.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I'm really bad and can't get my super to come out consistently. I also can't do inputs fast enough to do most of the combos Dhalsim has, especially the one where you jump and almost instantly teleport so you're just high enough in the air for a jumping hp.

It also seems like c hk + b mk + m yoga flame doesn't combo like all the combo videos/lists say it does, people always manage to block it. Is this just because I'm not inputting fast enough?

Will a fight stick help me input more accurately and faster? I know the motions for moves, but they mostly whiff, I even whiff yoga fire/flame sometimes.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Practice Mode will.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Brosnan posted:

Practice Mode will.

I have been doing that, I know how to do the inputs, it just feels like the controller is really imprecise when I'm trying to mash poo poo out. Basically what I'm asking is, does a stick make that more precise or is it all a matter of practice?

Because I just don't know how you can do a Z shape within moments after jumping.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Butyraceous posted:

I have been doing that, I know how to do the inputs, it just feels like the controller is really imprecise when I'm trying to mash poo poo out. Basically what I'm asking is, does a stick make that more precise or is it all a matter of practice?

Because I just don't know how you can do a Z shape within moments after jumping.

What controller are you using. If it's the 360 Dpad I would recommend buying a different controller. If it's the PS4 Dpad then buying a stick isn't going to make an immediate difference and in fact you'll probably be worse on the stick than you currently are on the controller, until you adjust to it. 95% of the time, practice is the only thing that's going to make your inputs more consistent.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Faffel posted:

xbox 360 support

Speaking of this, do all Xinput PCBs work on Xbox 360, or is it only the other way round?

EDIT: Diego the Breast

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 2, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Butyraceous posted:

I take it you're doing Sim's instant air teleport? If so, you have to do it like this: f,d,df, uf + 3P. Basically you're doing a DP motion then pressing up-forward plus punches together to do it in the air instantly. Unless you're using the d-pad on a 360 controller, it's all about practice. You'll be equally as sloppy on a stick if you switch to one until you get enough practice with it. The learning curve on a stick is much much higher as well.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've seen people mention they can option select the ender of chun's bnb by putting a forward in the middle of the the sbk or using a tk motion. So you get the sbk if you have enough charge and legs if you don't. Does anyone here do that? What do the inputs look like in training?

It works but I don't use it. Just practice enough and you can reliably use legs. Motion is the traditional TK 2369 but eh.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ag Bengip posted:

Speaking of this, do all Xinput PCBs work on Xbox 360, or is it only the other way round?

EDIT: Diego the Breast

Nope, the 360 has a proprietary protocol when it comes to communicating between a peripheral and the 360 system. On the PC, the drivers for the 360 controller treats the inputs as Xinput.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Only reason stick is going to make you better player is when you realize how much money you just spend and can't justify it any other way than to practice your rear end off and get good.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Grand final at local tournament from last night.

http://www.twitch.tv/epicgp/v/51853012?t=02h50m21s

:laffo:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

There isn't a single brick and mortar store in the bay area that has any stick under $200, so i picked up the fightpad pro. Tried the dpad, garbage. Was about to call it a wash until i tried the stick, and holy crap is the stick good. Weird because i couldn't do crap on a regular ps4 controller stick. Not whiffing 360 inputs has made my zangief much better.

Related question, why can i grab people out of the air after a standing HK crush counter but can't seem to do it after a vtrigger pop, is the timing different on when i should do the 360 input?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm not a serious player and I still would have lost my poo poo at that.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Brosnan posted:

Practice Mode will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWFzS1JgJyo

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

XOIC of Radishes posted:

That's an organizer fuckup though, they should've been offline from CFN in the first place

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

OxMan posted:

There isn't a single brick and mortar store in the bay area that has any stick under $200, so i picked up the fightpad pro. Tried the dpad, garbage. Was about to call it a wash until i tried the stick, and holy crap is the stick good. Weird because i couldn't do crap on a regular ps4 controller stick. Not whiffing 360 inputs has made my zangief much better.

Related question, why can i grab people out of the air after a standing HK crush counter but can't seem to do it after a vtrigger pop, is the timing different on when i should do the 360 input?

You have to get a certain number of hits on the v-trigger spin to pop them high enough for the air SPD, I'm not sure how many, but I can recognize the height now after practicing and whiffing a few times.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Dracula Factory posted:

You have to get a certain number of hits on the v-trigger spin to pop them high enough for the air SPD, I'm not sure how many, but I can recognize the height now after practicing and whiffing a few times.

Ohhhh, ok thanks!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Double Bill posted:

That's an organizer fuckup though, they should've been offline from CFN in the first place

The fact that a game is required to be offline to play is the real fuckup

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Not sure if this is a joke or I've just entered bizarro world.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Zand posted:

a buster was like 50% against most of the cast with a quarter bar midscreen and he could do the slidehead/giganter loop thing... i dont know if he was top but he was a god for sure.

I believe he was considered top 5 in vanilla AC, right after Eddie, Slayer, Testament and Millia from the old tier lists I remember reading.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

AnonSpore posted:

There's no good reason the game should interrupt local play when you lose the connection. Could have a little popup in the bottom right or something.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 2, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chev posted:

There's no good reason the game should interrupt local play when you lose the connection.

It's uploading and constantly updating things, what

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ZenVulgarity posted:

It's uploading and constantly updating things, what

Things it doesn't absolutely need to upload while you're playing local. Many other games that merge online and offline are happy enough putting those things in a queue for the next time they're online when the connection cuts off.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chev posted:

Things it doesn't absolutely need to upload while you're playing local. Many other games that merge online and offline are happy enough putting those things in a queue for the next time they're online when the connection cuts off.

It's not that hard to sign out

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ZenVulgarity posted:

It's not that hard to sign out
That's no excuse for bad system design.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've been fiddling with Ryu a bit and lost to a Ken who kept backrolling and mashing jab to catch me as I chased him. That was frustrating, so I worked on meaty setups in training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNgE38LiNro

Ryu's damage is insane.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Not sure if this is a joke or I've just entered bizarro world.

Do you not see how weird it is that I'm required to sign out to play this game with someone sitting next to me without fear that some server fuckup will boot us out of our match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

AnonSpore posted:

Do you not see how weird it is that I'm required to sign out to play this game with someone sitting next to me without fear that some server fuckup will boot us out of our match

whatever grandpa go play on sega genesis if you dont like your games to require an internet connection