Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

DD1 is the hardest DD run, I think. Only one camp and a lot of fights against arguably the more annoying enemy types in the DD.

One trick I've seen that appears to work extremely well is to worry primarily about Bleed Resist. DD1 throws a ton of it at you and outright resisting the majority of it through stuff like Cleansing Crystals or liberal application of Holy Water will spare the party a lot of grief and allow you to focus mostly on handling the enemy while one healer keeps atop things.

That doesn't defuse the problem of enemy crits, but there's not much to be done for that. A Dodge-focused dual Houndmaster team could maybe dodge-tank the whole way through.

Just take a Plague Doctor and you're set :shrug:

(I did admittedly lose said Plague Doctor to the boss, which means technically I had a higher casualty rate than DD2 or DD3, but I made the twin mistakes of 1. not equipping any of my repositioning skills on my team before the boss fight and 2. not doing anything to mitigate the stress penalty on Blasphemous Vial.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Plague Doctor can't stun and cure Bleeding at the same time, and I'd much rather have her stunning. Popping a Holy Water before the Shuffling Horror makes it a hell of a lot easier to manage but I did still get stuck a couple times with something. I'd say it's a bit more manageable in DD2 where the Templars can Blight pretty bad but don't have as much coverage and aren't as numerous, so a secondary stunner can cover for the PD while she removes a Blight.

She's extremely useful in both though, but much less so in DD3/4.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hound Master with trinkets is the best single-target stunner in the game.

I've gotten multiple stuns off in a row against powerful endgame enemies thanks to him.

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down
For DD1 I went in with a hilariously poor choice of party (Hellion, BH, Jester, Occultist) and trinkets (everything was geared towards damage and stress reduction which made me extremely vulnerable to bleed) and lost my favorite BH and Occultist during the boss fight as a result thanks to a combination of bad luck, no resources and forgetting to use Flashbang more often. For DD2 I'm tempted to try bringing a Vestal for more reliable healing and a PD to mitigate bleed and provide effective stun. Who should be leading that charge?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Papal Infallibility posted:

For DD1 I went in with a hilariously poor choice of party (Hellion, BH, Jester, Occultist) and trinkets (everything was geared towards damage and stress reduction which made me extremely vulnerable to bleed) and lost my favorite BH and Occultist during the boss fight as a result thanks to a combination of bad luck, no resources and forgetting to use Flashbang more often. For DD2 I'm tempted to try bringing a Vestal for more reliable healing and a PD to mitigate bleed and provide effective stun. Who should be leading that charge?

A MaA is invaluable to get around the 3 trinket limit. Then a highdodge DPS for the second slot. I watched a dude use PD, Vestal, Houndmaster, MaA for a Pitch Black NG+ run. He spent so much time stalling in any fight that featured a Fleshwall and Growth.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I want to stress this, because people focus more on the guarding part, but: You need good DPS (well, DPT) in DD2. The best way to end the Templar fights without losses is to end them, and quickly. You still need control and you still probably want a guard but you need to be able to damage dump so that you can bring the boss battles under control and not wear yourself down too much with them (that, or you need to clear the path to all 3 boss fights and camp for buffs ahead of time, but even then). This is one reason I favored an Occultist for this one, since he could attack and then rotate into debuffing and healing once the Templar's adds (or in the double fight, one of the Templars) were out of the picture.

Since you probably want a Man-at-Arms anyway, make sure you're using his two party buffs while camping, and then maybe a 3-4 point buff for your primary damage dealer like Planned Takedown, Sharpen Spear, Restring Crossbow, etc. Tactics + Weapons Practice + Sharpen Spear on a Hellion or something is an absolute godsend when it comes to dropping a Templar.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I got through the 2nd DD mission with Arbalest/Vestal/Houndmaster/Crusader. Arbalest would mark the templar, Vestal would spam endless heals with Junia's Head/Tome of Holy Healing, Houndmaster would guard the vestal and attack for the kill with marked AND beast bonus damage, and the crusader would Smite unless there was healing and stress healing to be done. All had decent damage options and also strong healing so I had a very self-sufficient team of fighters to deal with the multi target blight bullshit the templars throw at you.

Also, camp buffs are very important for the double templar fight at the very least. Restring crossbow made my arbalest's marked crits hit above 55 damage and make quick work of the backrow templar with the help of the houndmaster.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
What if the Antiquarian passively added a 3rd row to your inventory? Would that be game-breaking?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Moacher posted:

What if the Antiquarian passively added a 3rd row to your inventory? Would that be game-breaking?

I'd rather just mod the inventory stack limits so it's not a problem. For real the gold grind is more frustrating to me than the heirloom grind.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It would make Long missions actually worth doing, at least (outside of Champion ones for ancestral trinkets)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I went to try my first level 3 mission today and after I set my team up, above them some yellow text showed up that said "The Squad," then I remembered I could upgrade my blacksmith, upgraded it and their weapons, and when I went to embark it never showed up again. What the heck was that

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

rabidsquid posted:

I went to try my first level 3 mission today and after I set my team up, above them some yellow text showed up that said "The Squad," then I remembered I could upgrade my blacksmith, upgraded it and their weapons, and when I went to embark it never showed up again. What the heck was that

Certain party compositions have special names for flavour. I don't know why it didn't show up again the second time.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
party names are position-dependent!

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

More please.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Probe 17 posted:

More please.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You know, now that I bother to think about it(And this is coloured by probably not knowing all the facts)...What WAS the Ancestor planning? I mean, yes, finally unearthing the stuff underneath the manor caused madness and chaos and such, but what was he planning, so terrible that it immediately made a man tear his eyes out? He goes on and on about his 'ambitions' but they seem vague.

So he's learning summoning and necromancy. He tosses his failures(The Flesh). but he apparently gets many successes(Pigmen). Which he apparently turns loose? And there's enough of them that they're entrenched in the general area? It's not like he was using them for a private army or anything. Then you look at the Warrens and realise in the backgrounds there's metalworking stuff and the like. Are they summoning more of themselves in?

The Bandits he hired haven't exactly had much to prey on but they're still here with their cannon?

Where are all the cultists coming from?

The Hag and the Weald is about the only thing that ISN'T his fault. It's almost completely unrelated to everything else.

I feel I'm being dumb somehow(Not unusual with me).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In all the history of video games, no character has been more necessary to a particular team build than that jester.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bloodly posted:

You know, now that I bother to think about it(And this is coloured by probably not knowing all the facts)...What WAS the Ancestor planning? I mean, yes, finally unearthing the stuff underneath the manor caused madness and chaos and such, but what was he planning, so terrible that it immediately made a man tear his eyes out? He goes on and on about his 'ambitions' but they seem vague.

So he's learning summoning and necromancy. He tosses his failures(The Flesh). but he apparently gets many successes(Pigmen). Which he apparently turns loose? And there's enough of them that they're entrenched in the general area? It's not like he was using them for a private army or anything. Then you look at the Warrens and realise in the backgrounds there's metalworking stuff and the like. Are they summoning more of themselves in?

The Bandits he hired haven't exactly had much to prey on but they're still here with their cannon?

The Hag and the Weald is about the only thing that ISN'T his fault. It's almost completely unrelated to everything else.

The ancestor was bored as gently caress, so everything he's doing is boredom and obsession. If the darkest dungeon and the thing inside it had been mundane instead of sanity rending he probably would have moved on to something else even more taboo and terrible.

The pigmen were also failures. I don't think he made a ton so much as they started breeding (one of the ancestor's lines on entering a Warrens dungeon is "They breed quickly, down there in the dark.").

The Bandits are preying on the town and the surrounding areas.

Cultists are probably attracted to the Darkest Dungeon due to eldritch whisperings or whatever.

The Hag is partially the ancestor's fault since he worked with her for a while and made her worse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Ancestor was a dick. That's his entire motivation. He's the kind of guy who is just smart enough to get into trouble but completely lacks anything resembling common sense.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he didn't do anything in the cove either

just sold a statue and a little bonus in exchange for some jewels

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

he didn't do anything in the cove either

just sold a statue and a little bonus in exchange for some jewels

His sacrifices and rituals drew the fishmen there, and he very explicitly doomed the drowned crew. That nonsense is all his fault, so gently caress the ancestor because gently caress THE COVE.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Taking the endgame at face value, the Ancestor probably stumbled upon the fact that the Earth was just a giant gestating egg waiting to hatch - in service of which humanity proved little more than a source of nutrition - and took it upon himself to expedite its birth. He committed suicide to avoid persecution for his crimes, knowing he would join with the great being in death, and prettied up his last will and testament to lure you there in the hopes of sending more fearless fools to their deaths, hastening the process.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
This one made me laugh really hard in class.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

Taking the endgame at face value, the Ancestor probably stumbled upon the fact that the Earth was just a giant gestating egg waiting to hatch - in service of which humanity proved little more than a source of nutrition - and took it upon himself to expedite its birth. He committed suicide to avoid persecution for his crimes, knowing he would join with the great being in death, and prettied up his last will and testament to lure you there in the hopes of sending more fearless fools to their deaths, hastening the process.

I get the impression that most of his various crimes were committed before he made the discovery in the Darkest Dungeon. The Prophet narrative implies that he knew what he was getting into by the end of it, though.

The ending also partly explains the cultists--presumably other people have independently made the same discovery as the Ancestor and came to join Team gently caress This Gay Earth.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Gabriel Pope posted:

I get the impression that most of his various crimes were committed before he made the discovery in the Darkest Dungeon. The Prophet narrative implies that he knew what he was getting into by the end of it, though.

The ending also partly explains the cultists--presumably other people have independently made the same discovery as the Ancestor and came to join Team gently caress This Gay Earth.

Its certainly part of the mythos that Darkest Dungeon drinks from. When faced with something of terrible power, we either try to stop it, laugh in its face, try to get it to love us, go along with it for kicks and giggles or pretend it doesn't exist until far too late.

E: I guess there's also the "harness it for my own usage" reaction too, but that thought might be coming from all the reading of The Expanse I've done lately.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 2, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's my speculation regarding the plot of this game based on the ending and thinking about themes in general;

I think there's a big theme of duality going on with pretty much everything in the game. Going from light to dark, sane to insane, stuff like that. I think the Ancestor's fate is an extension of that; he's both alive and dead, and his being is fragmented into two states. One of them is struggling against the horror and has reached out to you in a genuine attempt to slow its progress. The other half has accepted the inevitable and become a herald of chaos. I came to this conclusion because the ancestor seems to both be encouraging and mocking you at various points. He even has some lines that have completely different implications from one another based purely on the tone he reads them in.

Basically, I think the underlying narrative of this game is about everything grappling with its darker nature. You see your heroes at their best and worst. You reach the peaks of hope and the depths of despair. And ultimately, literally everything you are trying to save is just a product of the horror you're trying to fight. So what's the point to any of this in general? You either give into despair and accept the inevitable or struggle vainly against it for eternity. That's the fate you share with the ancestor, and everyone else that enters the Darkest Dungeon.

Its a very uplifting and positive game :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, as for the Ancestor's actions everything he did was in pursuit of acquiring more knowledge about the beyond. He wanted to know what the point was to existence and rather than philosophize about it he decided to go looking for answers directly. So he made contact with otherworldy creatures, examined eldritch artifacts, and dug up the ancient ruins built to worship them. Everything he did was either to acquire more knowledge or procure the resources needed to do so.

And eventually, he got his answer about the nature of life. And boy did it suck!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 3, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

Its a very uplifting and positive game :)
One big contrast from other cosmic horror stuff is the repeated point that there will always be heroes, even among the broken and wretched. Your guys are not exactly paragons of virtue, and most of them shuffled off to the Hamlet out of despair or to run away or in search of redemption. They're only getting paid enough to drink or pray away the trauma inflicted on them on the last mission. And they keep coming back, and occasionally have flashes of true heroism, and they can win. Even if it's only temporary, for them that one moment might be worth everything, and those little moments keep buying more time.

It's interesting that in DD4, fully half the heroes are accepting of death in order to defeat the Heart when selected for CIYM. Only the Vestal, Arbalest, Plague Doctor, and Grave Robber are afraid, and the Crusader and Hellion are in a sort of state of zealous denial and anger. Everyone else either doesn't give a poo poo or finds it ironic (Bounty Hunter, Occultist, Jester), accepts that it's a necessary sacrifice (Houndmaster, Highwayman, Abomination)... or is just a stone-cold badass about it:

MAN-AT-ARMS: "I go with a clear conscience. I've given my all."
LEPER: "Spare the others, I am ready."

You don't normally see grit like that in Lovecraftian poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had both the maa and leper on my run and that moment ruled

I sacrificed the vestal and man at arms

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

This can't be entirely right, because the ancestor is also the one setting the goals for the Darkest Dungeon quests, opening the way for the Heart of Darkness to be killed. "Light the cultists' beacons with these candles, each made out of a human hand that was taken from a former death row inmate" - remember that? That scheme is pretty clearly the Ancestor's work. His guidance could be a whole lot less useful for someone whose only purpose is to awaken cosmic doom.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm assuming the idea was supposed to be you coming around to his way of thinking: that the end is inevitable, that resisting it is futile. Either way, whether you're getting your own dudes killed or slaughtering what have you in the dungeons, you're furthering his plans. The game's menagerie of bosses are all science fair rejects and people the Ancestor stiffed on the bill, not crucial members of his operation. You're tying up his loose ends and hastening the birth of a new god of a madness. It's win-win for him.

Again, this presuming we can take the endgame at face value, not factoring in whether or not the Heart of Darkness is deceiving us. I'm aware this reading of the game's story doesn't map perfectly to the experience of playing it, but Darkest Dungeon is very much a case where the story exists for the sake of the game (rather than the other way around) so it's not something I really feel the need to devote much time to digesting.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So this http://www.twitch.tv/billy1kirby goony guy completed a deathless (except for required deaths in final DD) NG+ run so now he's doing an only torchless NG+...

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It's extremely Darkest Dungeon that an afflicted hero who isn't at death's door can go "I'D RATHER DIE THAN EAT THIS GARBAGE" while you're camping and then die when you select the food total to eat before you can use de-stressing skills on them. I just lost a level 6 Plague Doctor from that, and I didn't select a half portion or anything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

It's extremely Darkest Dungeon that an afflicted hero who isn't at death's door can go "I'D RATHER DIE THAN EAT THIS GARBAGE" while you're camping and then die when you select the food total to eat before you can use de-stressing skills on them. I just lost a level 6 Plague Doctor from that, and I didn't select a half portion or anything.

Called your bluff, friend.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Do you just get a game over screen if you fail in New Game+? Or a cutscene?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Are there any changes in NG+ wrt Narrator lines?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Is there a particular author or series of books that the writing in this game is based on? I only know Lovecraft and it's been a while so I couldn't say if the writing style itself is similar or just the Eldritch horror.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Is there a list of what everyone says if they make the DD4 sacrifice? That's a lotttt of hours to replay.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Is there a particular author or series of books that the writing in this game is based on? I only know Lovecraft and it's been a while so I couldn't say if the writing style itself is similar or just the Eldritch horror.

Aren't the pigmen a reference to the House on the Borderland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ramc posted:

Is there a list of what everyone says if they make the DD4 sacrifice? That's a lotttt of hours to replay.
From this thread located in the game's Steam community:
    Abomination: "Whatever awaits, it cannot be worse than what I've endured."
    Arbalest: "Please, no! I want to live!"
    Bounty Hunter: "...Hm." <-- Bounty Hunter confirmed most based party member
    Crusader: "Unholy foulness! I will take you with me!"
    Grave Robber: "A proper lady does not volunteer herself for slaughter!"
    Hellion: "Send me to hell then! AAAKYLORAAAHHH!"
    Highwayman: "No way out. Hmph. Let's do this."
    Hound Master: "Steady, girl. If we're called, we answer."
    Jester: "Hah! The joke's on me then...?"
    Leper: "Spare the others, I am ready."
    Man-at-Arms: "I go with a clear conscience. I've given my all."