Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

It works but I don't use it. Just practice enough and you can reliably use legs. Motion is the traditional TK 2369 but eh.

Sigh. The late cancel just feels so gross. It feels like playing a music note late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

anyone in here headed to wnf tonight? really hopeful to pick up my first sfv tournament win :v

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

cams posted:

anyone in here headed to wnf tonight? really hopeful to pick up my first sfv tournament win :v

I'm SnakeEyes and I'm going tonight and I'm going to body you :getin:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Anyone interested in playing some sets? I'm not terrible but not good if that helps!

CFN is FluxWildly
Steam profile is: http://steamcommunity.com/id/elvismaximus

Edit: Man nevermind, my connection is crazy lovely tonight

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 3, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've seen people mention they can option select the ender of chun's bnb by putting a forward in the middle of the the sbk or using a tk motion. So you get the sbk if you have enough charge and legs if you don't. Does anyone here do that? What do the inputs look like in training?

I wish I was competent enough to pull this off, lmao.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

teagone posted:

I wish I was competent enough to pull this off, lmao.

If I can do it anyone can, my execution has always been my worst trait.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

edit: lol whoops wrong thread.

Dracula Factory fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 3, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

ZenVulgarity posted:

It's not that hard to sign out

please don't defend lovely decisions, because this actually has stopped some people from completing lovely survival too.

it's a lovely design. Please don't defend poo poo design.
There is nothing collected from local that needs to be put online.

if people want a replay, the ps4 has a share function built in and the pc can record in more ways than this game has characters.

I doubt they're earning fight money from local vs and there is no good reason for the character leveling system to begin with. It's like points in mario.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dracula Factory posted:

This last episode was excellent but goddammit I wanna see Hank's date! I hope his waiter spying plays into it.

Same

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

finding dashing hard to do consistently on stick without changing my grip from the way i hold it for all the other moves is there a secret?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

finding dashing hard to do consistently on stick without changing my grip from the way i hold it for all the other moves is there a secret?
it took me, literally, years to get used to dashing without moving the way i hold the stick.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

cams posted:

it took me, literally, years to get used to dashing without moving the way i hold the stick.

This should go to arestickseasier.txt.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Today I've had/faced my first ragequits in casual. Why? Who knows!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cams posted:

i'm gonna be avoiding playing bison for a long time then

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Today I've had/faced my first ragequits in casual. Why? Who knows!

so you don't make your 50 fm i guess

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Real hurthling! posted:

so you don't make your 50 fm i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CN6ZKezhc

:(

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Aku posted:

Vanilla SF4 Gief was like Top 3-4.

I don't know why I feel the need to dispell this but I do: No way! He's like solidly mid-tier but not counting the console characters(Of which Seth, in retrospect the likely contender for best character in the game had like a 9-1 match against Gief) the top 3 at the time Sagat, Akuma and Ryu all have good matches against him and the Sagat match particularly is so bad that Gief would be further downgraded for competitive play as it didn't even require good or advanced Sagat play particularly to win. Then below that you have other upper tier characters like Balrog and Viper with pretty advantageous matches against him and even some low tiers like Guile and Sim did fine. Gotta remember without U2 he couldn't do anything about people running away really.

Bit of a tangent but I always thought Gief in vanilla was an interesting character design because he was countered so hard just by virtue of his height by another character in the game. With the homogenous idle hurtboxes in SF5 how no characters really have to worry more or less than others about specific pokes. In fact one reason why people seem to be calling SFV so balanced right now is because of how samey all the frame data and move ranges are, I feel relatively sure that Ryus "stubby" c.mk is only slightly less range than Karin or Chun for instance and they all do the same damage and start within a few frames of eachother, usually with the trade off being faster recovery/more block stun on the slower or shorter normal. With V-Triggers being unique and some characters having the ability to get 2-3 a round(Dhalsim, lol) while others are pretty locked into just 1 every round I think those will probably be what ultimately decides the balance of the game.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Real hurthling! posted:

Here is what I learned from 20 years of rotting my brain playing these games: dont rest the edge of your palm/wrist on the controller, keep your hand up and active and use your arm more. Trying to do everything with wrist movement from a stationary resting position is why so many people have extremely bad execution on one side vs the other.

My anecdote is that when 4 came out I got pretty competitive for a while and felt plateaued in execution and gameplay. One day I was at a casual sesh playing next to Mr Street Fighter himself Alex Valle and realized I played extremely reserved like I didn't want to look weird, as I played next to him and he herked and jerked around wildly I understood that the secret is in the arm and not caring if you look ridiculous. Now you don't have to take it to the extreme he does but you will notice most really good players have a similar prone and ready position of play rather than laying 30 degrees back in a la-z-boy with their arms fully out stretched to the joystick resting on their knees.

Sick! Thats DOPE fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 3, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See, I always heard it was all in the fingers and you should keep everything else at a minimum

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Pomp posted:

See, I always heard it was all in the fingers and you should keep everything else at a minimum

well ultimately whatever works. Some people like Sako seem to play with their drat finger tips

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Not only do lobbies not show names or flags half the time now, you also can't kick someone who doesn't have their flag/name show. I'm assuming the original host tried to kick me after 3 wins, but he gave up and left. Now I get 3< bars joining who I can't kick at all!

I also can't host my own lobbies, and the only way for be to be a host is to join another lobby and have them leave, like what has happened here.

This online gets worse and worse.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

This is really stupid, but bear with me. There's a weird small piece of tape on my MadCatz TES+, right on the "seam" of the shell, underneath where my wrist would go. Despite my attempts, I can't scrape it off. Is it like connected to something inside? I feel like a huge idiot.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This is really stupid, but bear with me. There's a weird small piece of tape on my MadCatz TES+, right on the "seam" of the shell, underneath where my wrist would go. Despite my attempts, I can't scrape it off. Is it like connected to something inside? I feel like a huge idiot.

thats the warranty tape, meaning once it's off you can't return it or claim its broken anymore

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

This is how I play and I've never had a problem dashing.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Get outta my lobby you fuckin dumbass, I can't kick you and I can't host.

Fix ur lovely-rear end lobbies capcom jesus fuckin christ.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/RyanJosephHart/status/705212693435785216?s=17

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Did a vid on how to fight Bison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCVVMD7z7r0

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just played a match with insane lag so i went to the corner and spammed taunt until it was over

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

well ultimately whatever works. Some people like Sako seem to play with their drat finger tips

I use finger tips and some finger twitches(at the knuckle joints) for things like dashing. Maybe it's imagined but for some things I find the top two joints are slower than the knuckle joint finger twitch. Two other kind of related execution things I run into:

- Training mode bias: games start you out facing right in training mode. In GG I found my lowest/tightest IAD's and TK's came out when facing right, but not enough to make a significant difference. Could be a bigger issue for some.

- Combo indecision: when an unexpected situation occurs, you land something and you have a very small window to do a combo, sometimes just being indecisive about which combo to use can cause you to drop the combo(i.e. should I use my corner carry, go for the reset, do I wanna spend meter, etc). I've found having a sort of go-to "default" combo mentally prepared helps a bit with unexpected situations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

p666 i tried to join your request but it wouldn't let me. another time i guess

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

This (as well as your other videos) are really helpful, but as someone who's had a really hard time dealing with Bison, I've had the most trouble when he gets his V-trigger going. Any plans to touch on that at all?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
How good is Bison anyway. I heard he is really good and hard to deal with but what is the opinion from you guys on him.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Easy #1 in the game; noone else comes close.

Also slide can be up to -2 on block if spaced right

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

MonsterEnvy posted:

How good is Bison anyway. I heard he is really good and hard to deal with but what is the opinion from you guys on him.

I think hes top tier, but also kind of easy to play. I guess if you want to look at him vs Chun and Dhalsim as being the top tier trio right now(Maybe Nash too), Dhalsim and Chun take a lot of work meanwhile Bison has some of the best normals in the game and pretty drat easy combos that do OBSCENE damage, since he has no walk speed you don't really play a movement based game, you sort of just threaten by being a brick wall. His df+HP is really long range and crush counters while moving him forward to setup free very easy confirm combos, its a slow startup move BUT not so slow you can react by stuffing the startup that way you can to something like Mikas dropkick and it leaves him +1 on block, this has a lot of implications in making him "easy" to play since theres really no counterplay except to stay in his face, but just like dhalsim its hard to truly threaten ppl in this game with mash jab/throw + v-reversal right now lol. I dont play him so I don't know what his weakness would be, I guess his lack of good AA buttons

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

I think hes top tier, but also kind of easy to play. I guess if you want to look at him vs Chun and Dhalsim as being the top tier trio right now(Maybe Nash too), Dhalsim and Chun take a lot of work meanwhile Bison has some of the best normals in the game and pretty drat easy combos that do OBSCENE damage, since he has no walk speed you don't really play a movement based game, you sort of just threaten by being a brick wall. His df+HP is really long range and crush counters while moving him forward to setup free very easy confirm combos, its a slow startup move BUT not so slow you can react by stuffing the startup that way you can to something like Mikas dropkick and it leaves him +1 on block, this has a lot of implications in making him "easy" to play since theres really no counterplay except to stay in his face, but just like dhalsim its hard to truly threaten ppl in this game with mash jab/throw + v-reversal right now lol. I dont play him so I don't know what his weakness would be, I guess his lack of good AA buttons

This is pretty accurate. He also doesn't have any invincible reversals, nor does he have anything that comes out in 3 frames, so he can struggle under good pressure as well. He's definitely a good character, but I don't think he's far and away the best. Chun and Sim are definitely hanging out in the same category.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

I dont play him so I don't know what his weakness would be, I guess his lack of good AA buttons
crHP is ridiculously good AA and EX Inferno protects against crossups. His AA is stupid. Light ball is also a great AA move and his super is a giant hitbox that completely surrounds him.

His weakness is a poor wakeup game but you're never gonna knock him down, so lol. Not to mention Sim and Chun are far worse under pressure than Bison is.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This japanese guy is going ham right now:
https://twitter.com/mohumohukedama

https://twitter.com/mohumohukedama/status/704692225863618560

https://twitter.com/mohumohukedama/status/704454653052760064

https://twitter.com/mohumohukedama/status/704167620824535040

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 3, 2016

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That Ryu reset would make me so mad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well I was going to main Bison anyway so it's nice to know that it's a good choice. Plus I am not super good, so it's nice to know he is fairly easy to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bison I think is this game's equivalent of Spencer - really strong in the early lifespan but will settle into upper mid by the end.

Best thing to do against Bison is block, he doesn't have a lot of tools to open people up. If you fight against one and get the initiative stay in his face, his defensive options aren't too good either. He will have to block.

He's pretty easy to pick up though, and his damage his solid, and most importantly his walk forward animation is bawse.