Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Illegal Move posted:

Wow, the healthcare system in the US is really strange. How do people normally pay for their health issues? I mean, if you don't have a group of whales who you can turn to for help, what do you do?

lol you die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Illegal Move posted:

How do people normally pay for their health issues? I mean, if you don't have a group of whales who you can turn to for help, what do you do?

personal bankruptcy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Illegal Move posted:

Wow, the healthcare system in the US is really strange. How do people normally pay for their health issues? I mean, if you don't have a group of whales who you can turn to for help, what do you do?

You have a poo poo rear end plan in case of a catastrophic accident and crippling debt for anything else or if you have a nice job then it comes with an ok plan thats barely enough to not fall into crippling debt if something bad but not catastrophic happens to you.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Doom 3 had a working shotgun. Makes you think...

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

Illegal Move posted:

I've often wondered the same. I've had a few friends over there simply go without care because they couldn't afford it. These weren't exactly life threatening situations but enough to make their general situations worse. It also made me wonder what happens to all those people who suffer from more serious conditions or suffer accidents.. I guess this is a good example of that.

A friend has wisdom teeth removed and I think the costs were closer to 2000 bucks in total. I think I paid tenth of it for all four of mine.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Illegal Move posted:

The short answer is: you don't.

Your insurance that you get from work will cover some portion of your expenses, based on a fuckton of criteria that changes from insurance company to insurance company, employer to employer, and risk group to risk group. Whatever is left over is up to you to pay, in whatever ways you can.

Medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US. It's hosed.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
:capitalism:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Guess you should have invested better into your genetic stock's holdings.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Many young people either don't have health insurance after they turn 18 (because when you're filling out your forms at your "I'm a teenager" job, nobody wants to give up that extra $20 a paycheck) OR they have health insurance but don't have enough of a financial safety net to pay for the uncovered portions of healthcare so they simply go without.

If it's an emergency you can always go to the emergency room and then duck out on the bill, so there's that.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

The short answer is: you don't.

Your insurance that you get from work will cover some portion of your expenses, based on a fuckton of criteria that changes from insurance company to insurance company, employer to employer, and risk group to risk group. Whatever is left over is up to you to pay, in whatever ways you can.

Medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US. It's hosed.

Now LTI makes sense! :choco:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Lonkface posted:

I've often wondered the same. I've had a few friends over there simply go without care because they couldn't afford it. These weren't exactly life threatening situations but enough to make their general situations worse. It also made me wonder what happens to all those people who suffer from more serious conditions or suffer accidents.. I guess this is a good example of that.

A friend has wisdom teeth removed and I think the costs were closer to 2000 bucks in total. I think I paid tenth of it for all four of mine.

Cannot imagine having to risk your health because of money. Had my wisdom teeth out for the total cost of £0.00. And that included takeaway morphine.

You chaps need to sort that poo poo out, pronto.

Also you should reconsider 'broiling' as a term for grilling. For the longest time I thought that meant you boiled steaks in water.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I wonder if they will try to turn this into a marketing story if they manage to collect the 50K in 2-3 days...

To show all the doubters that SC has the most excellent and considerate community in gaming who has nothing to prove to themselves.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So I take it that CIG doesn't offer health insurance for their employees?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

MassivelyOP: Overthinking the Star Citizen Money Machine

This surely was in thread and I missed it. If anyone else missed it too, it's actually a great read if you've got the time to dive in. The closing paragraphs:

We didn't post about it because that's another of the SC shill sites where Spergs and ShitiZens hang out. You think /r/StarCitizen is toxic? heh.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

fuctifino posted:

It's a revolutionary Kickstarter based health insurance system. Get in early if you want LTI.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

Cannot imagine having to risk your health because of money. Had my wisdom teeth out for the total cost of £0.00. And that included takeaway morphine.

You chaps need to sort that poo poo out, pronto.

Also you should reconsider 'broiling' as a term for grilling. For the longest time I thought that meant you boiled steaks in water.

Neither of those will ever happen. The first one because America will never stop voting for people who think single-payer systems are the devil, and the second one because that's dumb and it's my God-given right as an American to never have to do stuff that Europeans want me to do.

e: risking your health because of money super sucks. I was uninsured for a very long time and it's a horrible feeling. I have great insurance now but if something happens I still find myself agonizing over whether or not to go to a doctor" because for a large part of my life that decision carried as much financial weight as the decision to like buy a car or something.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 3, 2016

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

Broiling is generally heat coming from the top, while grilling is heat coming from the bottom.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

They do, I'm sure. In fact I would bet dollars to pesos they are legally obligated to provide health insurance (I think 50 employees is the cutoff where you HAVE to start providing health insurance but I could be wrong). Typically though, health insurance would only cover a fraction of the costs associated with an injury like that.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Lonkface posted:

In Belgium that would cost about 160 euro's ( at an expensive dental clinic )
From that 160 euro's you only pay about 45 euros in real life.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

They do, I'm sure. In fact I would bet dollars to pesos they are legally obligated to provide health insurance (I think 50 employees is the cutoff where you HAVE to start providing health insurance but I could be wrong). Typically though, health insurance would only cover a fraction of the costs associated with an injury like that.

Thanks for the info. So chances are, CIG provide the shittiest healthplan they can get away with?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

Probably not. Either that or they don't offer family coverage.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Neither of those will ever happen. The first one because America will never stop voting for people who think single-payer systems are the devil, and the second one because that's dumb and it's my God-given right as an American to never have to do stuff that Europeans want me to do.

Well, Europe might be in all sort of shits right now but at least we can look over to U.S once in a while and feel slightly better. And I guess some folks in U.S do the same with us?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Lonkface posted:

Well, Europe might be in all sort of shits right now but at least we can look over to U.S once in a while and feel slightly better. And I guess some folks in U.S do the same with us?

Remember the good old days when us euros could laugh with the American migrant problem?
How the mighty have fallen.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

In Belgium that would cost about 160 euro's ( at an expensive dental clinic )
From that 160 euro's you only pay about 45 euros in real life.

Yeah, I think my costs were pretty much the same, though it's been 8-9 years so I can't remember exactly. Still, cheap, very cheap compared to what friends have had to pay across the pond.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

healthcare in the US is taking nyquil every day for 2 years

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

darkarchon posted:

http://imgur.com/a/VZznH

Wew. I cannot wait to manually grabby hands those components out of my spaceship into my storage and go to shops and manually haul the components to my ship and build them in!

Why on Earth are all components made on Earth?

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

Remember the good old days when us euros could laugh with the American migrant problem?

We've also ran out of places where we can ship people to and genocides went out of fashion. Whatever shall we do?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Thanks for the info. So chances are, CIG provide the shittiest healthplan they can get away with?

Honestly? Probably not. They probably provide average to good health insurance. In America, job benefits can be a huge draw to potential employees (I've turned down great jobs that had poo poo insurance before) and typically don't cost the company a whole lot. Some of the more average ones are free to the company, even.

The problem is that his daughter sustained some pretty serious injuries. Although both the broken back and the broken arm would be covered by health insurance, the patient (or patient's family, in this case) is likely going to be responsible for 30% or more of the cost of treatment, plus doctor co-pays, plus any additional tests or treatment that might not be covered for whatever reason (for example, some insurance companies will cover the cost to repair a broken arm, but not the extra fee the surgeon charges for doing the procedure). Surgical treatment of a broken arm, which is likely what she would need if she broke both the radius and ulna can cost well in excess of $2500, and treatment of a broken back can cost as much as $150,000. So even being on the hook for only 30% of that, a patient can walk away with medical bills totalling about half of what an average US citizen makes in a year.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

orcinus posted:

Why on Earth are all components made on Earth?

Why does everyone dress like a truck driver from 2005? Why does everyone manually perform basic cargo loading that could clearly be managed by a robot?

Simple, they're space Amish.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

We can still do that.
We don't have a migrant problem; we have a nationalistic/neo-nazi-cunts-and-pandering-politicians problem.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

Honestly? Probably not. They probably provide average to good health insurance. In America, job benefits can be a huge draw to potential employees (I've turned down great jobs that had poo poo insurance before) and typically don't cost the company a whole lot. Some of the more average ones are free to the company, even.

The problem is that his daughter sustained some pretty serious injuries. Although both the broken back and the broken arm would be covered by health insurance, the patient (or patient's family, in this case) is likely going to be responsible for 30% or more of the cost of treatment, plus doctor co-pays, plus any additional tests or treatment that might not be covered for whatever reason (for example, some insurance companies will cover the cost to repair a broken arm, but not the extra fee the surgeon charges for doing the procedure). Surgical treatment of a broken arm, which is likely what she would need if she broke both the radius and ulna can cost well in excess of $2500, and treatment of a broken back can cost as much as $150,000. So even being on the hook for only 30% of that, a patient can walk away with medical bills totalling about half of what an average US citizen makes in a year.

I'm from the UK where (for now) we have free healthcare for all, and I find the US healthcare system really baffling to comprehend.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

I'm from the UK where (for now) we have free healthcare for all, and I find the US healthcare system really baffling to comprehend.

Dude I'm from the US and I worked in the health insurance field and I find the US Healthcare system really baffling to comprehend.

It boggles my mind that half of Americans will argue that this is the absolute best system.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beet Wagon posted:

Dont forget they cant get people now. So I bet some upgrades have been made to packages and salaries to entice more in.
I am in canada and the only issue is wait times here.
So we pay and go to the usa.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 3, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

fuctifino posted:

Don't worry, it'll get depressingly easy to comprehend once Jeremy nickname rhymes like Hunt is finished selling the NHS to the US health insurance industry!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Don't worry, it'll get depressingly easy to comprehend once Jeremy nickname rhymes like Hunt is finished selling the NHS to the US health insurance industry!

:smith:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Happy Sisyphus posted:

I was hesitant to even post this on Twitter and Facebook just in case some rear end-clowns start making poo poo up in their heads.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/705371969852739586

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Yeah, that's to wash down the Tylenol.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

hanales posted:

Broiling is generally heat coming from the top, while grilling is heat coming from the bottom.

But you know where the heat is coming from by the device you're using to grill. It's unnecessary to have different terms for it. If you don't have a bbq (or 'grill') then simply put it in your broiler (aka 'grill') upside down. Problem solved.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I agree.

However, for something like this, believe it or not, your estimates are way off. I have lots of doctor friends and we talk about this poo poo all the time. Something like this is probably over $250K from start to finish; not including physical therapy. Regardless of the insurance type, the average out of pocket cost is usually around 40% after the yearly deductible is met. So my guess is that Mark's family is probably on the hook for around $100K. Which makes sense that he is asking for $50K in crowd-funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Beet Wagon posted:

And lord knows how much physical therapy would cost. The US healthcare system is a mess.

• Locked thread