Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

I think the problem is less Super's animation and how you can look at any single still of the show and see something janky and bad.

Even One Piece doesn't have that problem to the degree Super does. It's straight up the bottom of Toei's barrel.

Not only is this wrong, but it's wrong at least 25 times per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blaze Dragon posted:

One Piece is a lot worse than Super. At least Super can show movement, One Piece constantly fails at even showing the bare minimum of action.

The One Piece anime at this point might honestly have more padding than Dragon Ball.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't Naruto have like an entire solid year of padding or something like that?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ImpAtom posted:

More, IIRC. And my bored 12 year-old self watched every minute of it. Every minute. :negative:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

as far as what comes to Hulu every week, it seems like Shippuuden wants to go for the filler record

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Oh it was way more than that. I skipped I think almost 100 episodes because someone told me "yeah watch until the Sasuke fight and then skip straight to Shippuden, it's all filler."

EDIT: Yeah, just looked it up and it was episodes 136-220, which originally aired in Japan on May 18th 2005 and Feb 8th 2007, respectively. So almost two years straight of filler.

Xad fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 2, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xad posted:

Oh it was way more than that. I skipped I think almost 100 episodes because someone told me "yeah watch until the Sasuke fight and then skip straight to Shippuden, it's all filler."

EDIT: Yeah, just looked it up and it was episodes 136-220, which originally aired in Japan on May 18th 2005 and Feb 8th 2007, respectively. So almost two years straight of filler.

Why

How is that even a thing

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Blu rays help give an idea of what things would be like if production wasn't rushed as hell:

This is some Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu kinds of contrast.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Burkion posted:

Why

How is that even a thing

At the moment, they are currently pumping the series with filler arc after filler arc to draw out the final battle forever.

Some people think that its to buy time for Naruto GT to premiere.

How did they put a filler arc in the final battle? It's a spoiler, but there is one issue devoted to everyone's dream worlds and they have expanded that one issue into a full series. This includes an entire alt-world arc where Naruto's parents never died. I'm not joking.

StrifeHira posted:

Blu rays help give an idea of what things would be like if production wasn't rushed as hell:

This is some Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu kinds of contrast.

Did they only do this for episode 5 or the entire series?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The blu rays will generally always improve the quality, it won't just be that one episode.

See: monogatari, madoka, sailor moon crystal, every other dvd/bd release ever

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Animators work in lovely conditions to rush these things out on a weekly basis, there will be corners cut to make things flow faster

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Covok posted:

Episode 5 is the most egregious. All of them have better animation overall, but in the end the fifth one is the one that needed it most.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Covok posted:

At the moment, they are currently pumping the series with filler arc after filler arc to draw out the final battle forever.

How did they put a filler arc in the final battle? It's a spoiler, but there is one issue devoted to everyone's dream worlds and they have expanded that one issue into a full series. This includes an entire alt-world arc where Naruto's parents never died. I'm not joking.

that's incredible when you consider the last ~100 chapters of naruto consists of like 3 fights as is ie, obito, madara, moon rabbit lady whose name I forget, and this is after literally 100 chapters of war directly preceeding those fights. naruto is 700 chapters long, btw, so that's almost a full third of the entire thing

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Another preview for the upcoming Dragon Ball Heroes content, using modified game models like the Time Breaker Bardock one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsekQTQeK1k

...I'm not crazy, right? Other people are hearing Chrono Trigger music at the start of this too, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

As it turns out jamming a bunch of filler in might actually be preferable to making the series crap by stretching it out, see: One Piece

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheKingofSprings posted:

As it turns out jamming a bunch of filler in might actually be preferable to making the series crap by stretching it out, see: One Piece

I'm confused what you mean. The Naruto manga is done. They could have ended the entire series months ago since everything about the story is finished. They are just stretching it out by jamming a bunch of filler in for no real reason other than bleeding milk from a stone.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

TheKingofSprings posted:

The first two arcs of Shippuden did this. It was unbearable. Filler I can at least skip. One chapter streched out into two episodes is a bit harder.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The thing about Naruto is that every time I stop to reflect on how it feels for it to be over I find out it's somehow still going on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

Another preview for the upcoming Dragon Ball Heroes content, using modified game models like the Time Breaker Bardock one:

...I'm not crazy, right? Other people are hearing Chrono Trigger music at the start of this too, right?

Yeah, it's similar to Corridor of Time from Chrono Trigger to begin with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNzYIEY-CcM

gently caress, Chrono Trigger's OST is so good.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

StrifeHira posted:

I still don't really understand what Dragon Ball Heroes is supposed to be, some kind of.. card game?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eopia posted:

I still don't really understand what Dragon Ball Heroes is supposed to be, some kind of.. card game?

Arcade Card game thing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Eopia posted:

It's pretty much Yu-Gi-Oh (as depicted in the cartoon) with QTE's.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So I stopped watching Super after the third or so episode and only watched the latest one when I heard Goku fights Winnie the Pooh, so what I wanna know is, when did Goku become friends with the king of martians?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

So I stopped watching Super after the third or so episode and only watched the latest one when I heard Goku fights Winnie the Pooh, so what I wanna know is, when did Goku become friends with the king of martians?

That guy is the King of the Milky Way. They figured it was polite to invite him to the tournament, since most of the fighters were from his galaxy. No one really respects him though, as they are buddies with the gods, and personally killed the Emperor of the Universe three times.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The King of the Milky Way was pretty great, but personally my favorite part of this arc so far has been the performance of the Universal Anthem. That little penguin walking out there, the big intro, everyone selling it afterward, it was all so good. My enjoyment, much like the universe, was so vast.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel that the culmination of this arc will end up in a wish for panties

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

I feel that the culmination of this arc will end up in a wish for panties
Nah it will end in a wish for Bra instead. How else will Trunks get a sister?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

Nah it will end in a wish for Bra instead. How else will Trunks get a sister?

When the prince of all Saiyans and the richest woman in the world love each other very, very much...

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

When the prince of all Saiyans and the richest woman in the world love each other very, very much...

Making a loooooot of assumptions here.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

bulma and vegeta have the healthiest and most stable relationship in dragon ball

that's a cold hard fact

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ruggington posted:

bulma and vegeta have the healthiest and most stable relationship in dragon ball

that's a cold hard fact

Gohan and Videl seem pretty okay to me. They also can actually admit they like each other rather then grumbling about it when someone asks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've probably missed the bus on this discussion, but individual frames are a poor standard for measuring quality since a lot of framework is deliberately "Bad" or "Weird" because they're going for a particular effect like a character snapping dramatically from one position into another one, or moving very quickly. What matters is how it looks in motion.

I haven't seen Dragon Ball Super, and I'm aware that most Japanese animation doesn't quite run into this problem since there's a stronger reliance (in general) on talking stills and limited animation due to budgeting, it's just something that always irks me a bit when someone posts a "Wacky" frame and asks what the animators were thinking. If you didn't notice a problem while it was in motion, then there wasn't a problem.

By contrast, of course, if you did notice it then yes, there may be a problem.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But there is a difference between smears and related tricks to improve and smooth out how motion looks like and plain off-model animation. So yes it does looks bad in motion at times.

I get the saving time and (therefore) money aspect but after thirty years and on a series as famous as Dragonball you tend to expect better.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, like I said, I don't imagine it's super relevant in this particular case, but I'll often see people screencapping wonky frames that are wonky on purpose as part of a larger sequence going "Ha ha what do these guys do all day."

Just an old irritation resurfacing. My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was just tangentially related. Carry on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I was literally going to post the same thing.

gently caress it.

Man, Disney are so poo poo at animating things. Look at these freeze frames.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I agree entirely with your post but I absolutely despise this gif. It's beyond ugly and looks like poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
So, are we at the point where goons unironically argue that galo sengen is animated better than super?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, like I said, I don't imagine it's super relevant in this particular case, but I'll often see people screencapping wonky frames that are wonky on purpose as part of a larger sequence going "Ha ha what do these guys do all day."

Just an old irritation resurfacing. My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was just tangentially related. Carry on.

I don't think any of the frames screencapped have been tween frames, they've been still frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I agree entirely with your post but I absolutely despise this gif. It's beyond ugly and looks like poo poo.

A person who doesn't like the Dover Boys is a person who doesn't understand good cartoons. :colbert:

• Locked thread