Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
*shrug* I'm having fun. Game's got issues and the devs seem to be dumber than a box of dumb things but last night we sent 200 tons of Atlases up the enemies rear end in a top hat on frozen city and slaughtered them 12 to 1 when they failed to notice they had something funny going on behind their gunline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Steiner Scout Lance best scout lance

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pattonesque posted:

That variant doesn't have them :(

you coooould do something like that on the PHX-2, with ECM and JJs. Maybe 5 or 6 MPL?

If you can get 5 or 6 MPL with ECM and JJ's and go faster than 100kph? That's a straight badass.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Talmonis posted:

If you can get 5 or 6 MPL with ECM and JJ's and go faster than 100kph? That's a straight badass.

PHX might end up secretly being a really good light-hunter

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

PHX might end up secretly being a really good light-hunter

It'll probably be good at a lot of things except long ranged pinpoint alpha.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

It'll probably be good at a lot of things except long ranged pinpoint alpha.

true. metamechs dude did some theorycrafting on it and some of the builds look interesting. the MASC one can get up to 169kph in bursts

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=3963.0

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

true. metamechs dude did some theorycrafting on it and some of the builds look interesting. the MASC one can get up to 169kph in bursts

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=3963.0

I've already got my eye on a 1s build that I like. There are definitely some obvious builds that the 'mech seems to lend itself to.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
I'm looking at mastering the arctic cheetah. How do omni pods work? Can I just swap them from mech to mech and have pretty much the same loadout for all of them?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

EduardoEspecial posted:

I'm looking at mastering the arctic cheetah. How do omni pods work? Can I just swap them from mech to mech and have pretty much the same loadout for all of them?

you can, but you're essentially mastering the Center Torsos of each mech, which you can't swap

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Pattonesque posted:

you can, but you're essentially mastering the Center Torsos of each mech, which you can't swap

Ok, didn't know that.

I've got an ACH-Prime, does it matter which of the other ones I get? Are they all pretty much the same since you can swap the omni pods around?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

EduardoEspecial posted:

Ok, didn't know that.

I've got an ACH-Prime, does it matter which of the other ones I get? Are they all pretty much the same since you can swap the omni pods around?

yeah, the different CTs have different quirks, but I don't think they're huge enough to matter

this might be a good resource for ACH builds:

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/clan-master-guides/arctic-cheetah/

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Speaking of the Cheetah, I was having buyer's remorse initially but I've really come into my own with it these last couple days. I'm in the process of grinding out the XP and C-Bills for a 3rd chassis at this point and it's really amazing carrying your team to victory in what amounts to a Commando with ECM and slightly better hardpoints.

The only real downside is the C-Bill payouts are less than stellar even if you rack up a handful of kills since your damage dealt each match is so pitiful with 6 C-SPLs. There's nothing quite like seeing an unsuspecting Lurmboat crumple when you sneak behind enemy lines and unload 2 volleys into their rear end before they realize what's going on.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Getting radar dep and seismic is kind of nice

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TeeMerk posted:

FTFY

e: so nerfing high alphas is bad but mechs need to have a longer time to live, how does this work?

Being a goon is about being able to hold multiple conflicting points of view at the same time while also wishing things were still exactly like they were in the beta

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

*scratches taint*

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

BattleMaster posted:

Being a goon is about being able to hold multiple conflicting points of view at the same time while also wishing things were still exactly like they were in the beta

No, nooooo. You'll never make me go back to 8 Awesome death marches to the cap with zero shots being fired. Nooooooo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stringbean posted:

lol if you thought I put any more money down until I know what the future holds. Nor would I ever put 85 bucks down on any one game in any one sitting. (Except Dark Souls 3)

At this point the angry rants and insults aren't contributing to the thread in any way. It's not even constructive in any way. New goons are coming in and probably turned away because of the toxicity. Just give them the old "Game is okay now, changes may or may not make it worse. Save your cash, don't buy mechs with real money."

"I like playing this game" is the equivalent of "lol I'm a big dumb gay baby" in this thread. We loving get it, you all aren't holding your breath waiting for PGI to not gently caress things up. We get that you don't give money to this company because of their track records. But spewing pure vitriol isn't going to make things any better.

This is way less toxic than this thread has been for 90% of its lifetime.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I dunno, when I compare the "angry rants" to the "I just gave PGI 50 bucks again" posts I think angry rants are winning by a small margin

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tujague posted:

I dunno, when I compare the "angry rants" to the "I just gave PGI 50 bucks again" posts I think angry rants are winning by a small margin

You gotta factor in the fact that nearly every angry rant is from someone who gave PGI 50bucks in the past though

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Question, Has the unit WoL Or GIRLS ever done anything stupid like...

12 man urbanmech warfare?

You know shits and giggles type of matches?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I think you'll run into minimum tonnage with that.

We have dropped with 2 Atlases and the rest urbies before, I think there was even a video of it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Drythe posted:

lol if you're at a fat retard who wants to give pgi money for an overpriced product before they actually delivery

they have never nerfed or fundamentally changed something once it became available for cbills

they also totally deserve more money for being very competent at running a business

What's worse is they will not ever refund money for nerfed mechs you paid money for, you know like how half the other game out there will.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zyntherius posted:

Has WoL ever done anything stupid

The answer to this is always yes

Did anyone take video of the totem pole stack thing? That was the first that came to mind.

Or Dragon Bowling with Paul(?)

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WarLocke posted:

The answer to this is always yes

Did anyone take video of the totem pole stack thing? That was the first that came to mind.

Or Dragon Bowling with Paul(?)

MechaShiva. A goddamn classic.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2QF70H2hc

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

This incident was what got collision removed, wasn't it? :haw:

e: Or not collision, knockdown

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 3, 2016

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

God drat xD

i'm stuck in a 4 day contract so i can't join till then

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this game to run better that doesn't involve spending a bunch of money on new computer components? I have everything on low but I'm usually sitting around 10-15fps at best. During large brawls and on certain maps (mostly anything with water) I drop to below 10fps pretty consistently. poo poo sucks and it's incredibly difficult to aim or even move around sometimes.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Talmonis posted:

MechaShiva. A goddamn classic.
MechaShiva is not a crime!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xyretire posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this game to run better that doesn't involve spending a bunch of money on new computer components? I have everything on low but I'm usually sitting around 10-15fps at best. During large brawls and on certain maps (mostly anything with water) I drop to below 10fps pretty consistently. poo poo sucks and it's incredibly difficult to aim or even move around sometimes.

The game really, really wants CPU cores and RAM. If you don't have those, there isn't really any fix. You can try running at a stupidly low resolution, but even then it's not good.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

EoRaptor posted:

The game really, really wants CPU cores and RAM. If you don't have those, there isn't really any fix. You can try running at a stupidly low resolution, but even then it's not good.

I have a quad-core i5 @ 3GHz, 6GB of RAM. All a few years old now though, so I have a feeling that I might just have to suck it up. I was just hoping that someone might have some magical FPS config like used to exist in the HL engine days that turned poo poo down/off even moreso than the menu settings do.

Edit: Holy poo poo I'm an idiot and missed the stuff in the second post. Serves me right to not search for FPS in a thread about a first person shooter.

Xyretire fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 3, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is there an easy way to look up how many of a weapon I can fire before I'm penalized for ghost heat, and how much ghost heat I can expect? This ghost heat simulator is way off. I keep getting more and more specific with my search parameters and it keeps giving me tabletop rules or just forums complaining about clan heat problems. I have five C-ER Med Lasers. How many should I fire at once to be safe?

e: What does "item limit reached" mean?

e2: Okay it already has jump jets but they're greyed out and basically invisible. Nevermind.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 3, 2016

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Krinkle posted:

Is there an easy way to look up how many of a weapon I can fire before I'm penalized for ghost heat, and how much ghost heat I can expect? This ghost heat simulator is way off. I keep getting more and more specific with my search parameters and it keeps giving me tabletop rules or just forums complaining about clan heat problems. I have five C-ER Med Lasers. How many should I fire at once to be safe?

You can fire all of these at once.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment#weapon_heatscale
I think this stuff is all still accurate.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Pattonesque posted:

you know once the Phoenix Hawk is out for fake money, you can do some interesting things with it.

One theorycraft I saw was this for the energyboat:

PHX-1K
Just endo
XL325 = 125 kph
8 small pulse lasers
Full armor -2 on head
16 double heatsinks

No jets but I think that could be pretty good?

You can also do a gauss/2ML sniper with three tons of ammo on the -1B, and you'd be going 104 with an XL270

not gamebreaking but probably p. viable

the heroes will both likely be bad though

But they will be nerfing alpha strikes en mass weapon firing

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Krinkle posted:

This page has it all, a bit long though In the section "Heat penalties per weapon", you can see the C-ER Med Lasers are in the "Clan Laser Group", and you can fire 6 simultaneously without ghost heat. Any other weapons from the group would count towards the total (such as C-ER Small Laser).

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
It also tells you in-game when you've got that limit "Firing more than # <weapon> can cause excess heat..." Or some poo poo like that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was afraid there was like staggered ghost heat and there'd be just incidental gently caress-you added heat they didn't warn about until it would spike to >80% or whatever.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xyretire posted:

I have a quad-core i5 @ 3GHz, 6GB of RAM. All a few years old now though, so I have a feeling that I might just have to suck it up. I was just hoping that someone might have some magical FPS config like used to exist in the HL engine days that turned poo poo down/off even moreso than the menu settings do.

Edit: Holy poo poo I'm an idiot and missed the stuff in the second post. Serves me right to not search for FPS in a thread about a first person shooter.

That should actually be okay with this game. Don't run anything but the game and mumble, even with 16GB and an i7, I find firefox makes the game stutter like crazy. No idea why.

What video card do you have? AMD cards don't do as well as nVidia, because crytek.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

EoRaptor posted:

That should actually be okay with this game. Don't run anything but the game and mumble, even with 16GB and an i7, I find firefox makes the game stutter like crazy. No idea why.

What video card do you have? AMD cards don't do as well as nVidia, because crytek.

Because FF + Flash = death. Resource hogs a'hoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Hunch IIC is a real goddamn monster and no-one pays attention to it yet, it's beautiful.

• Locked thread