Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I'm having really bad luck buying ink on Amazon. The pen that came with a bottle of noodlers(which shipped late) was cracked. I had two day shipping on some Iro inks and it's been over a week and they have yet to even leave the warehouse.

Goulet may be overpriced compared to almost every other online retailer, but they package the poo poo out of everything because they know how fragile pen stuff can be. Also free lollipop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

guppy posted:

I bought an Ohto Tasche without realizing that no converter would fit in it :( I saw it would take an international short cartridge and just assumed a standard converter would fit.

The Tasche is a tiny rear end pen, I'm not sure why you would assume a converter would fit even if it's listed as international short cartridge compatible.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

404notfound posted:

Goulet may be overpriced compared to almost every other online retailer, but they package the poo poo out of everything because they know how fragile pen stuff can be. Also free lollipop.

Also I have a soft spot for niche small businesses. I don't mind paying a bit more to keep them around.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

grack posted:

The Tasche is a tiny rear end pen, I'm not sure why you would assume a converter would fit even if it's listed as international short cartridge compatible.

I just didn't realize how tiny it was. Totally my fault.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I wonder if that obnoxious little Kaweco squeeze converter would fit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My Man Shran posted:

I wonder if that obnoxious little Kaweco squeeze converter would fit.

Nope. Also that converter is a useless piece of poo poo so I wouldn't bother even if it did.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I got myself a Monteverde Impressa as a new-job celebratory thing. Unfortunately, the parts that went into it don't seem to have been precisely fitted; the converter will remove itself from the feed at the slightest touch, and turning the cap while the pen is capped has a good chance of starting to unscrew the body. Anything I can do about this or do I just have to be careful?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

return it and buy a better pen?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

return it and buy a better pen?

I agree. The Impressa isn't a particularly good pen and it has a serious issue with the finish flaking off. I'd return it and get something like a Nemosine Fission if you like metal bodied pens. They even use the same nibs.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I got it because it looked pretty, but my metros have definitely been better pens. I wish Pilot made something nice in the $40 range.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

inklesspen posted:

I got it because it looked pretty, but my metros have definitely been better pens. I wish Pilot made something nice in the $40 range.

Pilot Prera is 30-something. Top up to 50 and get the Celemo, which has a gold nib: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/273176-the-pilot-celemo-the-50-14k-nibbed-wonder-pen-from-pilot/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

Pilot Prera is 30-something. Top up to 50 and get the Celemo, which has a gold nib: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/273176-the-pilot-celemo-the-50-14k-nibbed-wonder-pen-from-pilot/

The Seremo (same model) is actually ~$40 and sometimes gets cheaper as well http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Fountain-Seremo-Medium-FCM-500R-B-M/dp/B001AX9HFU
Also, despite being one of the cheapest gold-nibbed pens you can buy the nib on the Seremo/Celemo is superb.

There's also the Prera ($30) and Lucina ($40)

Edit: VVV Goulet is selling based on US MSRP, you can get Prera's off of Amazon at Japanese MSRP or close to it.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 6, 2016

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Huh, the Prera is about double that at Goulet; wonder why.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Never buy Pilot or Namiki (and, frankly, Sailor for that matter) at US MSRP. Seek out a Japanese seller.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Yes, well, I'm in the US and I don't read Japanese. I did manage to buy some Iroshizuku ink off rakuten, but only by matching the colors; the naming they used was apparently generated by running phonetic transliterations through google translate and back.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

You can generally find most Pilot/Nakiki products at or near Japanese MSRP on Amazon. No Japanese required.

Goulet is never the best deal. Hell, Goulet is rarely even a good deal. Not just in comparison to the larger retailers, but many smaller pen guys like Nussbaum or the Andersons often have better prices on popular things. I doan want to start retailerchat again; it's never fun.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I like Goulet for samples. I bought my first pens from them and a whole bunch of samples. I've been considering doing their Ink Drop club but I don't think I write enough for that.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

inklesspen posted:

Yes, well, I'm in the US and I don't read Japanese. I did manage to buy some Iroshizuku ink off rakuten, but only by matching the colors; the naming they used was apparently generated by running phonetic transliterations through google translate and back.

Rakuten Global literally works that way - it uses machine translation. Just pattern match the Japanese kanji on the ink bottle with the ink colour you want and you can save a lot of money. Or go on Amazon.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

inklesspen posted:

Amazon.com

There's plenty of stuff at Japanese MSRP shipping from Amazon's US warehouses, just look for Prime shipping items.

Dunno what the hostility is for.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Dunno what you're reading as hostility, but trying to find things on amazon seems to be hit-or-miss for me. And if it's sold by someone else just using Amazon as a storefront, it can be very difficult to figure out what you're getting or deal with problems if there are any. Like the link grack gave: it goes to a seller that can't track packages; I live in NYC where a package that doesn't have tracking has a good chance of going missing.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

inklesspen posted:

Dunno what you're reading as hostility, but trying to find things on amazon seems to be hit-or-miss for me. And if it's sold by someone else just using Amazon as a storefront, it can be very difficult to figure out what you're getting or deal with problems if there are any. Like the link grack gave: it goes to a seller that can't track packages; I live in NYC where a package that doesn't have tracking has a good chance of going missing.

Engieka is pretty alright too; they may take a week to get shipped but a package posted on Wednesday in Japan ended up on my doorstep on Saturday in Iowa, with tracking provided. It's USPS once it gets stateside, but USPS first class tracking works well enough. They accommodate special shipping instructions as well. It's just too bad Japan has such crazy tariff/tax policies for pens and inks domestically distributed in the US.

Goulet is for sure almost never the best deal; but I respect the scrappy small business story and Brian's quick looks really catapulted me into fountain pens so I give them money. Their house brand #6 nibs are loving great too.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

NeurosisHead posted:

Engieka is pretty alright too; they may take a week to get shipped but a package posted on Wednesday in Japan ended up on my doorstep on Saturday in Iowa, with tracking provided. It's USPS once it gets stateside, but USPS first class tracking works well enough. They accommodate special shipping instructions as well. It's just too bad Japan has such crazy tariff/tax policies for pens and inks domestically distributed in the US.

Oh my gosh they have so many beautiful Pilot pens I've never seen before — I may die. Thank you!

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

:siren: Urgent Announcement for FP Nerds :siren:

Nathan Tardiff does thing, reactions soon to follow.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Nathan Tardiff doesn't ride the crazy train. He's the conductor.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tomorrow's News: Crazy man repeatedly tasered in the genitals after throwing red fountain pen ink at BEP employees. Video to follow.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

My Man Shran posted:

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXyBr3-af0

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I have no need for another red ink, but I feel like I need to own that :bernin:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I feel like there are layers of meaning to that label art that I don't quite appreciate yet. I'm pretty sure he's trying to say something with the cotton.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

My Man Shran posted:

I feel like there are layers of meaning to that label art that I don't quite appreciate yet. I'm pretty sure he's trying to say something with the cotton.

Come on man, the answer's right there, ten minutes in to a 35 minute video about ink (wherein the ink doesn't appear until minute 22).

(It's the seal of Soviet Azerbaijan)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zuph posted:

Come on man, the answer's right there, ten minutes in to a 35 minute video about ink (wherein the ink doesn't appear until minute 22).

(It's the seal of Soviet Azerbaijan)

Did you... did you watch the whole video? :stare:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

B-but why Azerbaijan?

I bet it's because of Muslims.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

But is it a nice red? Can we see some writing samples?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I want to see a noodlers ink with a label designed by dees

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

My Man Shran posted:

B-but why Azerbaijan?

I bet it's because of Muslims.

Have you ever noticed the sickle looks like the crescent moon? :tinfoil:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Keetron posted:

From some of the early reviews I've read, it feathers like a motherfucker even on nice paper. I think Nikita's a better "OMG COMMUNISM" red.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Keetron posted:

Lemme get to it tonight. I gotta leave for work in about 20 minutes.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

blowfish posted:

Have you ever noticed the sickle looks like the crescent moon? :tinfoil:

Tardiff 2016: Eternal ideals, bulletproof patriotism, Conservatism(tm) that never fades.

We're gonna get our glass ink bottles back and make the Chinese pay for them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

From some of the early reviews I've read, it feathers like a motherfucker even on nice paper.

Fast drying inks almost always have this issue because they're designed to be absorbed really quickly. Iron galls tend to be the exception.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

My Man Shran posted:

Good drat that guy makes some pretty ink, but he is nuttier than squirrel poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

Fast drying inks almost always have this issue because they're designed to be absorbed really quickly. Iron galls tend to be the exception.

Oh, I know why it's doing that. He designed it for leftists--er... left-handed writers, thus the quick-dry. I was just saying that unless someone wants the quick-dry property, they're better off with another red.

And yeah, NeurosisHead^^^ dude is a loving fruitcake, but I always have a pen inked up with 54th Mass.