Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a 4 liberal majority, kennedy concurrence saying it should be sent back down for more info, and alito/roberts/thomas dissent?

No, AFAIK, it would be pretty lovely. Pretty much every clinic in Texas would be closed pending a Supreme Court ruling probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a 4 liberal majority, kennedy concurrence saying it should be sent back down for more info, and alito/roberts/thomas dissent?

Wouldn't that result in the clinics being closed

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Shageletic posted:

No, AFAIK, it would be pretty lovely. Pretty much every clinic in Texas would be closed pending a Supreme Court ruling probably.

Not if there's a four justice majority, as in the case of a 4-1-3 decision. A non binding return to lower court happens only in the event of a tie.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

twodot posted:

This seems like an easy trap to step out of "I trust the other states to appropriately regulate their medical facilities, if your concern is convenience why are you pretending other states don't exist?"

That seems consistent with the reasoning Texas is already using, though its hardly convincing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

This seems like an easy trap to step out of "I trust the other states to appropriately regulate their medical facilities, if your concern is convenience why are you pretending other states don't exist?"

It's not and he would have gotten skewered even harder if he tried that.

Texas is fully aware of exactly what regulations New Mexico has. It's not like he can say they have no idea but they just trust New Mexico has done it right. The clinic they are pointing to exists only because it is not subject to Texas's new restrictions, which Texas is claiming are for the health of the mother and not just to gently caress with clinics. If you trust that New Mexico's regulations are appropriate, why are you imposing such harsher regulations?.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Didn't the Supreme Court issue a stay?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

No matter what the decision is, we're going to have to settle for Alito tears at best. There's a reason they called him Scalito, but it isn't necessarily because of his rhetoric in opinions. He gets emotional but it's a thin, pissy kind of emotional and not the florid jiggery-pokery type poo poo Scalia had.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Quorum posted:

Not if there's a four justice majority, as in the case of a 4-1-3 decision. A non binding return to lower court happens only in the event of a tie.

A 4-4 tie upholds the lower court decision, not remands it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That seems consistent with the reasoning Texas is already using, though its hardly convincing.
I'm not saying it's convincing, it's just that reasoning isn't a trap for Texas. In that exchange both sides are ignoring the actual crux of the issue of whether it poses an undue burden. Tossing out figures like 100 miles is meaningless if it doesn't actually deter people (similarly the ability to cross states lines is meaningless if it does deter people for whatever reason).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

I'm not saying it's convincing, it's just that reasoning isn't a trap for Texas. In that exchange both sides are ignoring the actual crux of the issue of whether it poses an undue burden. Tossing out figures like 100 miles is meaningless if it doesn't actually deter people (similarly the ability to cross states lines is meaningless if it does deter people for whatever reason).

It absolutely is a trap for texas, because by relying on clinics that don't meet the standards they claim are ever-so-necessary, they undercut their argument that the standards are actually medically necessary.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

evilweasel posted:

It absolutely is a trap for texas, because by relying on clinics that don't meet the standards they claim are ever-so-necessary, they undercut their argument that the standards are actually medically necessary.
Where's the evidence that the Texas legislature (edit2: I guess more correctly their Solicitor General) should believe that the standards are necessary in other states (edit: That have their own separate set of standards that may moot Texas regulations) or that even assuming the standards are necessary in other states, that applying those standards would close the clinics they are relying on? As I said earlier this whole thing is just a distraction from the actual issue of undue burden.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 3, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

EwokEntourage posted:

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant but I didn't say it properly.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

It seems problematic to discuss another states in this way when discussing constituionality of Texas's laws, as it gives really bizarre effects like that a Texas law might only be constitutional unless New Mexico passes a similar law, or that the same law might be constitutional only if Rhode Island is the only state that has it, etc. Is there some sort of legal principle matching my intuition here?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Quorum posted:

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant but I didn't say it properly.

I'm just being pedantic

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EwokEntourage posted:

That's not what I was saying though. I was saying 4 in majority opinion, Kennedey concurring (i.e. I agree with the outcome) and the three shitheads dissenting.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's not what I was saying though. I was saying 4 in majority opinion, Kennedey concurring (i.e. I agree with the outcome) and the three shitheads dissenting.

I wasn't talking to you tho?

But, addressing your point, why would Kennedy concur in the judgment if he wanted it sent back down to the lower courts? Especially since Kennedy is pro restrictions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dude I was just spitballing some hypothetical while baked, but it seemed from reading the transcript that none of the justices were really on board with Texas outside of Alito.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OddObserver posted:

It seems problematic to discuss another states in this way when discussing constituionality of Texas's laws, as it gives really bizarre effects like that a Texas law might only be constitutional unless New Mexico passes a similar law, or that the same law might be constitutional only if Rhode Island is the only state that has it, etc. Is there some sort of legal principle matching my intuition here?

Only if Texas is arguing that their law is totally OK because you can go do whatever the Texas law impact in New Mexico. Otherwise the fact that those along the border aren't having an undue burden placed on them because they can just cross the border means that states like Delaware or Rhode Island can go hog wild with otherwise unconstitutional laws because everyone can just cross the border with ease.

Texas has to make an argument that their restrictions are acceptable on their own, and would be regardless of godless New Mexico, in order to show they aren't placing an undue burden on women trying to get an abortion. Arguing that New Mexico is right there undermines the argument that Texas believes these changes are needed to protect women, because their argument would then boil down to if you don't like it go somewhere unsafe. Which is along the same path as, if you don't like the law, well, you've got coat hangers in your closet right?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The law already went to into effect because shitheads wouldn't uphold a stay on enforcement. So a bunch of clinics closed already, and odds of them coming back seem low.... At least it would put a kibosh on introductions of similar laws in other states.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twodot posted:

Tossing out figures like 100 miles is meaningless if it doesn't actually deter people (similarly the ability to cross states lines is meaningless if it does deter people for whatever reason).
:stonk:

For what it's worth, the distance is addressed. The law even requires that women who take an abortifacient pill do so in the properly licensed/equipped medical setting. So a woman would have to travel the (X) miles to the office, take the pill, then go home, return the next day, be observed, then finally go home. Either she commits to a 2-day ordeal of travel or springs for a hotel in the area to avoid the travel.

Which, to me, seems kind of burdensome.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Nominate Jane Kelly!

Franco Potente posted:

A Challenger Appears!

Former IA Lt. Gov. Patty Judge is gonna take on Grassley. Looks like she's basing her campaign around Grassley's SC obstructionism, which comes as no surprise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Patty judge taking one for the team. That's a good Democrat.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Nice! posted:

4-1-3 is precedential mandatory abortion

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Sadly Grassley is very well entrenched in Iowa. He and Harkin are the only Senators most Iowans have ever known in their lifetimes. Well now JONI as well, but I like to forget that she represents my state.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

Where's the evidence that the Texas legislature (edit2: I guess more correctly their Solicitor General) should believe that the standards are necessary in other states (edit: That have their own separate set of standards that may moot Texas regulations) or that even assuming the standards are necessary in other states, that applying those standards would close the clinics they are relying on? As I said earlier this whole thing is just a distraction from the actual issue of undue burden.

Because Texas was relying on clinics in New Mexico to claim that women within 100 miles of the border aren't burdened by the law so they could say the closures don't hurt that many women. Texas is saying that non-ASC clinics are too unsafe to even be allowed to operate, so it doesn't make sense to say "this won't affect anyone because they can get an unsafe abortion somewhere else".

If having the choice to go out of state counts as access, then why shouldn't women have that choice in state? They'd never make the argument "well you always have access since you can throw yourself down the stairs without leaving your house" because the medical risks of that obviously aren't justified by the convenience. Arguing El Paso women can go to a noncompliant New Mexico clinic rather than travel all the way to San Antonio is basically an admission that the new regulations are an undue burden because according to Texas' own argument it's better to go to a non-ASC clinic 10 miles away than a compliant one hundreds of miles away.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
What I don't understand is why we have to have these tortured justifications and equally tortured refutations instead of just asking some doctors if the requirements are medically justified. There's got to be a medical consensus on the kind of clinical support required for a safe abortion.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Skrewtape posted:

There's got to be a medical consensus on the kind of clinical support required for a safe abortion.

There is, and it's that the clinics were fine as they were.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

Skrewtape posted:

What I don't understand is why we have to have these tortured justifications and equally tortured refutations instead of just asking some doctors if the requirements are medically justified. There's got to be a medical consensus on the kind of clinical support required for a safe abortion.

If only there was a group of doctors, say an association, that could officially give their opinion. They would truly be a friend of the court.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They already have said these requirements are totally unnecessary but that's irrelevant if you are a justice trying to make abortion illegal and have no respect for your profession or position.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Skrewtape posted:

These laws aren't actually being passed because the right wing is concerned with abortion safety. :ssh:

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Evil Fluffy posted:

These laws aren't actually being passed because the right wing is concerned with abortion safety. :ssh:

Well I know that, of course. In fact, I'm not even surprised that Texas lawmaker are doing such bullshit, but I would hope that the courts would have more concern for actual facts that exist in reality.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skrewtape posted:

Well I know that, of course. In fact, I'm not even surprised that Texas lawmaker are doing such bullshit, but I would hope that the courts would have more concern for actual facts that exist in reality.

Judges, politicians, and so on typically originate from society. I don't know a non sarcastic sounding way to say this. You're literally saying you're surprised that justices are people with the same variety of values as a group that voted for the fuckers who wrote the law in the first place.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Skrewtape posted:

Because these recommendations would have to be given to the Texas state legislature, and they already know better.

Skrewtape posted:

It's not like the SCOTUS has the latitude to do what they feel is right.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Skrewtape posted:

Did you forget the Hobby Lobby case?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is a larger issue of scientific accuracy vs. adversarial expert(?) testimony, which is also relevant for criminal justice.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Skrewtape posted:

You start out in 1954 by saying, "friend of the family, friend of the family, friend of the family." By 1968, you can't say "friend of the family" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "friend of the family, friend of the family."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mortal posted:

If only there was a group of doctors, say an association, that could officially give their opinion. They would truly be a friend of the court.

Skrewtape posted:

It's a Bad Idea for legal systems to take the recommendation of medical (or even scientific) entities at face value. Setting aside the fact that they are sometimes just factually wrong or corrupted, such entities have vested interests in the outcome of cases and are themselves political, politicized entities. I might agree with their recommendations here, but there's a reason they're relegated to amici and not particularly central to either party's presentation of the case.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Do you suggest that lawyers be experts on all fields of life public and private? Or do you assume they already are by virtue of having passed the bar?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a Bad Idea for legal systems to take the recommendation of medical (or even scientific) entities at face value. Setting aside the fact that they are sometimes just factually wrong or corrupted, such entities have vested interests in the outcome of cases and are themselves political, politicized entities. I might agree with their recommendations here, but there's a reason they're relegated to amici and not particularly central to either party's presentation of the case.

Wait, so it's bad for the law to take into account medical or scientific entities because they are political and politicized...but lawyers and politicians aren't? Or am I entirely misreading your statement there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, so it's bad for the law to take into account medical or scientific entities because they are political and politicized...but lawyers and politicians aren't? Or am I entirely misreading your statement there?

The statement seems to be that just because a medical or scientific group advocates a certain way doesn't mean that that stance is selfless, without bias, and containing all the truth. Thus just because you've got some medical opinions backing you up doesn't mean the court should simply accept their findings.