Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Bendis isn't writing the OML ongoing. It's by Jeff Lemire.

well to its credit it fooled me and the loving thing is sitting right in front of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Four Score posted:

Spooders was pretty cool in Spider-Man this week, as well as Iron Man (there, my shameful secret is that I'm now reading two Bendis books. ALRIGHT OML TOO, gently caress). Spidey struck me as boring if cute, and I haven't picked it up again. How are it and Slott's book?

Spidey is a lot of fun and fills the hole that was left by Marvel Adventures Spider-Man. Amazing is great right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I did find a little weird/possibly a little too 'real' that the cops were literally about to shoot the unarmed black kid, when they'd just seen him save the rest of the Avengers, AND Cap and Iron Man are vouching for him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaz-L posted:

I did find a little weird/possibly a little too 'real' that the cops were literally about to shoot the unarmed black kid, when they'd just seen him save the rest of the Avengers, AND Cap and Iron Man are vouching for him.

Well, a demon just told him to sit down and shut up, and that was even freaking Miles out. The cop panicked, for somewhat understandable reasons, but the superheroes didn't, because that's just Tuesday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair being Spider-Man means a police officer will probably try to shoot you at least once every other day regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation. You'll also probably be accused of murder three times a month.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cops getting agitated and shooting people for no reason is like the number 2 thing cops are known for.

Number 1 is giving you a loving ticket when you're already loving late to work. That's the LAST thing I need right now!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair being Spider-Man means a police officer will probably try to shoot you at least once every other day regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation. You'll also probably be accused of murder three times a month.

Isn't this like one of the lessons Parker tries to teach Miles at the end of Spider-Men?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Not to mention your dick boss will personally finance a team of robots designed to capture or kill you just because your alter-ego makes him feel small.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Well, a demon just told him to sit down and shut up, and that was even freaking Miles out. The cop panicked, for somewhat understandable reasons, but the superheroes didn't, because that's just Tuesday.

At this point, that should be an average Tuesday for a NYC cop in the Marvel Universe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda tired of literally every Miles Morales story ending with "venom shock does ker-razy poo poo". I mean drat, Bendis, did you forget that Spider-Man can do whatever a spider can, like shoot webs and poo poo?

I mean I know I'm being a little hyperbolic here but I know his super awesome power that conveniently no one really understands has knocked out the (Ultimate) Green Goblin, Venom, Dr. Doom (+ a room of HYDRA goons), and now loving (Prime Earth) Blackheart? Like, what can't venom shocks do?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 5, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

TwoPair posted:

I'm kinda tired of literally every Miles Morales story ending with "venom shock does ker-razy poo poo". I mean drat, Bendis, did you forget that Spider-Man can do whatever a spider can, like shoot webs and poo poo?

I mean I know I'm being a little hyperbolic here but I know his super awesome power that conveniently no one really understands has knocked out the (Ultimate) Green Goblin, Venom, Dr. Doom (+ a room of HYDRA goons), and now loving (Prime Earth) Blackheart? Like, drat, what can't venom shocks do?

Save the Ultimate line.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

I mean I know I'm being a little hyperbolic here but I know his super awesome power that conveniently no one really understands has knocked out the (Ultimate) Green Goblin, Venom, Dr. Doom (+ a room of HYDRA goons), and now loving (Prime Earth) Blackheart? Like, what can't venom shocks do?

You're not being hyperbolic at all. It's a dumb cop-out to having to write an interesting end to a fight and is easily the worst thing about Bendis' writing for the character. In a genre where most of the fun is seeing how heroes triumph against overwhelming odds it's uninteresting, redundant, and actively sucks.

Mr Hootington posted:

Save the Ultimate line.

:drat:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you want to see Miles win a fight without the venom shock, he pulls a pretty clever move in the most recent issue of ANAD Avengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

If you want to see Miles win a fight without the venom shock, he pulls a pretty clever move in the most recent issue of ANAD Avengers.

I'm shocked how much more I like Waid's voice for Miles than I do Bendis.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Blockhouse posted:

You're not being hyperbolic at all. It's a dumb cop-out to having to write an interesting end to a fight and is easily the worst thing about Bendis' writing for the character. In a genre where most of the fun is seeing how heroes triumph against overwhelming odds it's uninteresting, redundant, and actively sucks.

:drat:

I'm keeping my hopes up that they keep building up the venom shock only to introduce a villain / villains it doesn't work again, forcing Miles to undergo actual training and learn to fight like a Spiderman with or without it. Tied together with 'don't get cocky' and 'always switch it up' as lessons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'm shocked how much more I like Waid's voice for Miles than I do Bendis.

I like it in the team context, but honestly? Waid's just writing Spider-Man. By which I mean you could recolour the issues with the red-and-blue and I doubt anyone would notice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I like it in the team context, but honestly? Waid's just writing Spider-Man.

Well somebody tell Bendis to do that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is where I bring up how much I hated how Bendis wrote Spidey on New Avengers and the other team books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

This is where I bring up how much I hated how Bendis wrote Spidey on New Avengers and the other team books.

Really? Compared to his own books at the time I found NA Spidey to be a breath of fresh air. Especially the scene with him webbing up Luke's hands.

"You said to web you up."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He had his moments, but I hated how self-deprecating and stare-at-his-shoes he was. Peter Parker was never the most confident guy, but in my mind Spidey overcompensates by being a bragging rear end in a top hat, like classic Hawkeye.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

I like it in the team context, but honestly? Waid's just writing Spider-Man. By which I mean you could recolour the issues with the red-and-blue and I doubt anyone would notice.

Real talk I don't think Miles really has a distinguishable voice from Peter anyway except "younger and slightly less confident"

This is entirely the result of being created and primarily written by a guy who only has like three characters

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Real talk I don't think Miles really has a distinguishable voice from Peter anyway except "younger and slightly less confident"

This is entirely the result of being created and primarily written by a guy who only has like three characters

I think Miles has a genuinely different voice but it's a similar voice. He tends to be more awkward and uncomfortable. Miles is living up to a hero while Spider-Man classic is Peter letting his inner rear end in a top hat roam free from behind the mask. That tends to frame them differently with Peter being if anything overconfident until he collapses in upon himself while Miles is more awkward by default. It stands out more to me when the two characters are onscreen together though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Ultimate Spider-man cartoon handles Miles' voice pretty well, I think. It's similar but while sometimes Bendis writes something and you can see Peter saying the exact same thing, in the cartoon just about everything Miles says feels like something Peter wouldn't really say.

Basically you should watch Ultimate Spider-man now, season 4 is actually an action cartoon with comedy and the main team is Peter, Miles, Flash/Venom, Kaine and sometimes Amadeus Cho as Iron Spider. :)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Basically you should watch Ultimate Spider-man now,

Disney marketing team parachute account spotted. :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would rather put burning coals in my eyes than watch another episode of Spider-Man: Family Guy Edition.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Ultimate Spider-man cartoon handles Miles' voice pretty well, I think. It's similar but while sometimes Bendis writes something and you can see Peter saying the exact same thing, in the cartoon just about everything Miles says feels like something Peter wouldn't really say.

Basically you should watch Ultimate Spider-man now, season 4 is actually an action cartoon with comedy and the main team is Peter, Miles, Flash/Venom, Kaine and sometimes Amadeus Cho as Iron Spider. :)

Donald Glover voices Miles, right?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Donald Glover voices Miles, right?

Just on season 3, this season they're using a voice actor that is capable of voice acting for a 13 year old character.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I would rather put burning coals in my eyes than watch another episode of Spider-Man: Family Guy Edition.

It mostly stopped with that tho, like there's some fourth wall stuff at the very start of episodes and one or two chibi gags if any but it's mostly a normal action cartoon now

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Just on season 3, this season they're using a voice actor that is capable of voice acting for a 13 year old character.

It mostly stopped with that tho, like there's some fourth wall stuff at the very start of episodes and one or two chibi gags if any but it's mostly a normal action cartoon now

It'll never be the Spider-Man cartoon I really want...

:rip: Spectacular Spider-Man, taken too soon. And closure forever out of reach.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

It'll never be the Spider-Man cartoon I really want...

:rip: Spectacular Spider-Man, taken too soon. And closure forever out of reach.

I get that, I wish there was another Spidey cartoon that tackled the Peter Parker stuff as good as Spectacular did but Ultimate will never do that, but hey, Spider-Family was something I wanted really bad back when Remender's Venom was going on and Yost had made Kaine an amazing character, so this cartoon actually doing it is good for me in particular.

Worst is that Weisman will never give up hope, so he will never ever tell what would've happened afterwards, at least with TAS we know Peter would've gone to past London, beat up Jack the Ripper and finally reunite with Mary Jane.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was Spider-Verse a good series?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

Was Spider-Verse a good series?

No. It was a long boring story where ni-invincible and yet completely lacking in personality villains killed Spider-Men randomly until they are defeated. The best part of it was the Scarlet Spider series and just because Jessica, Kaine and Ben make a fun team.

Edit: A couple of the tie-ins like Spider-Punk were fun too actually but that's about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Disagree. Spider-Verse was tons of fun. I'm a big fan of alternate universe shenanigans in the first place. I generally hate anything involving the spider totem bullshit that JMS introduced but this was making a good use of it at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just like most Slott Spider-man stories, it was good on paper and the stuff not written by him is decent, but the execution is dog poo poo.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

Disagree. Spider-Verse was tons of fun. I'm a big fan of alternate universe shenanigans in the first place. I generally hate anything involving the spider totem bullshit that JMS introduced but this was making a good use of it at least.

I felt like the whole series was pretty majorly squandering all of the alternate-universe Spider-Men, though. The 90s' cartoon did 'a bunch of Spider-Men team up' story so much better. Hell, Slott did it better with Shattered Dimensions. But Spider-Verse was massively bloated by Spider-Men who were basically wallpaper or canon fodder, except for those given either spinoffs or anointed as the Protagonists. Honestly, they should have pared the cast down to a more managable number instead of having dozens of webslingers that might as well have not been there at all for all they contributed to the overall story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I felt like the whole series was pretty majorly squandering all of the alternate-universe Spider-Men, though. The 90s' cartoon did 'a bunch of Spider-Men team up' story so much better. Hell, Slott did it better with Shattered Dimensions. But Spider-Verse was massively bloated by Spider-Men who were basically wallpaper or canon fodder, except for those given either spinoffs or anointed as the Protagonists. Honestly, they should have pared the cast down to a more managable number instead of having dozens of webslingers that might as well have not been there at all for all they contributed to the overall story.

This is my feeling. The biggest flaw is that we got brief glimpses of really cool alternate universes and then they just get scrubbed by a boring vampire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There are so many ways you could write a story where dimensional spider-mans have to team up without violently murdering the spider-mans.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Murdering alternate universe Spider-Men is a long and important part of Marvel tradition.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

There are so many ways you could write a story where dimensional spider-mans have to team up without violently murdering the spider-mans.

My personal idea would be something similar to Roger Stern's Captain America Corps (which owns, BTW). A small group of Spider-Mans fighting in a world gone wrong - and there's already a perfect template for that in Dark Reign.

On a related note, I'd have liked to see Grant Morrison's Spider-Man graphic novel come to fruition.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider Verse was a ton of fun. Definitely read it if you can find the collection for a decent price. A lot of the enjoyment comes from the tie ins. Spider Punk's story was written by a goon, and was the stand out next to Spider Gwen and Gerard Way's SP//DR or whatever it was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

X-O posted:

Murdering alternate universe Spider-Men is a long and important part of Marvel tradition.

Reality is they should have starved to death from lack of Spider-Mans.

• Locked thread