Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bugsy posted:

If that's the graph I'm thinking of, it's garbage. No monster has more than 75 resistance and doesn't even use penetration gems.

Yeah it is pretty garbage but at least gives a very rough idea. He posted at least one update already with some fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is Assassin the "I have 100 ex to spend on gear and now I'm god" spec or is it more like 1-100 busted as hell

I haven't played PoE seriously since that league with surprise boxes and I am thinking of either scion bow+summons or gladiator duelist and I can't think of which might be better for longer

The worst thing I can think of happening to me is picking a build that is great early but stops being good at early maps

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

10bux posted:

By the way Monsters can go well above 75% resistance. Your damage of course cannot be reduced by any more of that amount, I'm just saying that's why completely ignoring it is so good. It could potentially be 150% elemental penetration.

Monster resistance above the 75% cap doesn't matter for the purposes of elemental penetration. Penetration is calculated at the point of damage after resistances have been calculated up to the cap. So 75% elemental penetration will reduce a monster's resistances from 75 to 0 whether that monster has 75% total resistances or 150% total resistances.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

AegisP posted:

Monster resistance above the 75% cap doesn't matter for the purposes of elemental penetration. Penetration is calculated at the point of damage after resistances have been calculated up to the cap. So 75% elemental penetration will reduce a monster's resistances from 75 to 0 whether that monster has 75% total resistances or 150% total resistances.

I'm pretty sure that has never been the way it worked.

Whelp wiki says you're right. I've only ever seen the other calculation.

edit Oh I see. So it's pretty much just a replacement for curse reduction which does calculate from actual resistance value. Also good if you care about curse immune.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 3, 2016

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Mortimer posted:

is Assassin the "I have 100 ex to spend on gear and now I'm god" spec or is it more like 1-100 busted as hell

I haven't played PoE seriously since that league with surprise boxes and I am thinking of either scion bow+summons or gladiator duelist and I can't think of which might be better for longer

The worst thing I can think of happening to me is picking a build that is great early but stops being good at early maps

Assassin makes crit builds much easier to gear for and accessible than ever before so you should be fine going with that.

Melee builds are a lot better and tankier due to a number of changes since last you played, most importantly the Fortify gem which gives a 20% reduction against all damage types. Going Earthquake/Sunder 2H RT Marauder Berserker is cheap and effective.

Most caster builds are easy, cheap and strong as well, like Firestorm self cast. Going non-crit caster appears to be a viable and strong choice as of Ascendancy due to a number of changes and ascendancies that go well with that like Witch's Elementalist.

Chaos damage causes Poison and is stackable now and very strong. Last league had insanely powerful Fire to Chaos conversion builds due to the synergy of Bino's and The Consuming Dark uniques which has been rightfully nerfed but it should still be strong.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Bino's nerf makes me sad, if only because it was hilarious seeing your health regen hit 4-5 digits.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Assassin is more like: "Don't bother spending anything on crit gear because you've got all the crit in the world now, just get a fuckton of life and ES and be happy"

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

bakka bakka posted:

In all fairness, you certainly can obtain legacy gear. It's just a waste of time and currency. I'll never understand the fixation some fools have with these items. Except in one case (Facebreakers) you'd be more powerful with equally unobtainable mirrored gear.
Wow, my 998% Facebreakers are apparently worth like 40ex.

I have no clue if that's a lot of money 'cuz who plays in Standard?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

on standard 40ex is enough to get you a crazy amount of good stuff but not even sort of kind of enough to get you the really crazy items

basically anything on standard that isn't a god tier item is pretty cheap, and the god tier items are "i hope you have 300ex and a mirror"

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

10bux posted:

The only way to ignore enemy resist is with curses and elemental penetration.

If you crit a Monster with 75% Resist, and you deal 100dmg with 400% crit multi, your actual damage deal to that Monster will be 100.
Most monsters don't have anywhere near that amount of resists, though

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Zephro posted:

Wow, my 998% Facebreakers are apparently worth like 40ex.

I have no clue if that's a lot of money 'cuz who plays in Standard?

I do, trying to get used to the game again (and because I've got a 910% Facebreakers)

I envy your pair though, I was never able to afford one closer to the cap. (Even though I played pre-nerf)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Is anyone on Standard willing to let me play with their Contagion/ED gear/gems/set w/e so I can try out the playstyle before committing tomorrow?

I'm ok with just the gems. I have an ice spear shadow that I respecced before I realized there were no gems in the guild bank.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think I've got some 997%s at least. I probably half at least half a dozen legacy facebreakers, although I don't think the other rolls are nearly as good.

Anyway no one gives a poo poo about standard.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ekster posted:

Ziggyd posted a vid on how to level smoothly with spark + orb of storms for any spell build basically. Lots of alpha streamers leveled their casters that way and it's fast and cheap from what I've seen.

Is this tree good for such a build?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Standard owns because I have lots of old item quant gear that is worth beaucoup bux because some sperg wants an extra 4% on his perandus blazon belt

Having old busted legacy items is a neat novelty though, I'll never get rid of my 120% spell block saffell's frame or my 18/18/18 bringer of rain

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Permanent Hardcore just depresses me, because it reminds me that at one point I had acquired both a Lightning Coil (now legacy) and a Rathpith Globe on the same character.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Mortimer posted:

Standard owns because I have lots of old item quant gear that is worth beaucoup bux because some sperg wants an extra 4% on his perandus blazon belt

Having old busted legacy items is a neat novelty though, I'll never get rid of my 120% spell block saffell's frame or my 18/18/18 bringer of rain

I am that sperg.

Greetings.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Vorenus posted:

Simply put, no. This build is worth following from what I can tell for a cheap beginner build if you want to go spark all the way. Note that it's based on the previous patch, where generally you wanted to go crit with spells, but non-crit is much better now than it was before and Orb of Storms makes Spark a lot better as well. That's why the author says it's not as good at high level mapping, it should be much better now. Just pick Witch Elementalist and get the elemental conflux node, the rest is up to you.

You could also go Arc (check the official class forums for good, if temporarily outdated builds) or most other spell based builds and be able to level up great with Spark + Orb of Storms. Arc might be better at high levels but it's hard to tell with all the changes at the start of a league. Path of Exile builds can go in a million different directions and everyone has their own preferences, so you generally won't find an 'optimal' build. It's best to check multiple builds, ask some questions in this thread or in guild chat and the rest you have to learn with experience.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008

Vorenus posted:

You mean a spark build for endgame? If you wanna go scion I'd definitely do noncrit, you need to stack too many other weird stats(duration, pierce, proj speed). I'd probably go up to elemental overload with the other duration nodes, something like this https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...psj9p2qUuzVpk2S. You could also go crit with inquisitor or assassin, but at that point arc is probably better.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's my plan for spark https://www.pathofexile.com/passive..._VkncMJ8h25kw==

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 3, 2016

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If you go Scion definitely take the Deadeye ascendancy. A second good ascendancy is probably Berserker for the free leech and extra damage.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ekster posted:

If you go Scion definitely take the Deadeye ascendancy. A second good ascendancy is probably Berserker for the free leech and extra damage.

Exactly my plan.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

If you're just looking at levelling with spark and orb (or flame totem and fire trap/firestorm trap) rather than playing them at end game, then you should just build your actual passive tree instead. That's the point of these "easy levelling" skills, they scale well with minimal/no passive investment and minimal gear reqs.

If you're really looking to level fast though, your passive tree shouldn't have any life in it until cruel at a minimum and it should be all damage all the time until then (spell damage over cast speed, ele damage nodes like the fire or lightning nodes near witch start etc.) with you using the free respec points later on to move out of them.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's not just Facebreakers for standard legacy items. Facebreakers I would argue is actually not one of the more important ones, only giving around a 25% damage boost over non-legacy ones.

I listed them earlier but the important ones IMO are:

Aegis Aurora: literally works twice as well as current Aegis, where the difference between balancing damage taken and damage healed with it and not is "I am completely immortal" or "I am kind of tanky."

Bringer of Rain: 9% block is really huge if you're getting towards max block, lvl 18 blind is huge for making enemies a lot less threatening than lvl 6 blind.

Kaom's Heart: Legacy Kaom's gives like 1500 more life and is considered by a lot of people to be the best unique in the game. Current Kaom's is one of the better chest armors but is always a thing to consider, not a mandatory item.

Mjolner: Legacy one casts 66% more spells than current Mjolner, outputting about 66% more damage (depends a bit on how many charges you are generating for Discharge, but it is 66% more damage with all other spells).

Saffell's Frame: Like BoR, the difference between 65% spell block and 75% spell block is very big. Also +1% max resist is very big when you're getting to over 90% with potions.

Soul Taker: Legacy Soul Taker is about as good as 1h axes get for DPS, current ST is really bad for pure base DPS. But this one is probably similar to Facebreaker for damage difference.

For the most part other legacies don't dramatically change how good the item is or are buffs.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Welp, time to jump back in tomorrow or Saturday. There a decent leveling spec for this league (not really interested in the spark one)? I'm thinking I might just do RT Cyclone or Earthquake to get myself started.

Also laughing it up at the patch notes nerfing the poo poo out of Talisman's Most Wanted.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Earthquake is very good. Build guide over here/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm gonna do that but I'm thinking berserker instead of champion.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

I'm gonna do that but I'm thinking berserker instead of champion.

I prefer mathil's version who also goes Berserker.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

10bux posted:

Sorry, I shouldn't have even mentioned Kongor's, it's just what I was first looking at when I thought of the Synergy. Obviously a spell that is already 100% elemental, and cannot miss, is going to be better than something you'll have to convert.

Once you approach high crit numbers?

The whole point of the synergy is that you don't need any critical strike, or any critical strike multipliers. Sure, critical strike and critical multi nodes have been combined, and then nerfed at the same time. If your casting spells, your stuck by shadow and witch. Unless, your playing a build that scales its crit from 8-10%, the investment is pretty substantial and your limited to having to head towards the direction of certain clusters. Without needing any crit or status ailments, you'll be a lot more free to pick up defense, auras, utility, whatever. The other benefit, is that crit multi is a lot more dangerous since crit is rolled per attack, not per monster. That, combined with a Life Leech Rate based on your HP or ES, it's much safer to attack with continuous damage then big bursts.

But, I really wasn't thinking about not having to get crit nodes, I was thinking about ignoring enemy elemental resists.

Elemental resist is factored in after all the damage has already been calculated. If we attacked the same enemy, but my attack ignored elemental resists and yours didn't, you would have to do 4 times the amount of damage as me to equal the same amount.

By the way Monsters can go well above 75% resistance. Your damage of course cannot be reduced by any more of that amount, I'm just saying that's why completely ignoring it is so good. It could potentially be 150% elemental penetration.

For one Keystone, 2 supports and the 6 Ascendancy passives, you could essentially get 85% More + XX% More (they haven't said how much more damage the new on is yet) and 75% elemental penetration.

If you can use elemental penetration gems that are applied against an enemies ignored resists it would be even better.

You only get that huge elemental penetration as Inquisitor if you crit. If you have ~20% crit chance, that is only a fraction of your attacks. If you invest passives in crit chance, it would get much higher, but then your crit multi nodes would be wasted.

Basically, you have the options of:

1) Going Inquisitor, investing alot of passives into crit chance and multiplier, and ignoring elemental overload and Kongors (maybe go crit staff or sceptre or sword)

or

2) Choosing a different melee class, invest a tiny amount into crit chance (Disemboweling and Galvanic Hammer notables gets you up to ~21% crit chance on Kongor's), get Kongors and a single elemental attack and elemental overload and focus, and rely on the occasional "crit" to refresh your onslaught and elemental overload. I'd use something like Static Strike, link multistrike, melee physical, physical to lightning, weapon elemental damage, and lightning penetration. If you can get a Vinktar's and a 6 link, then add elemental focus.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I've settled on trying a ranged crit Puncture build, stacking lots of projectile damage and generic physical damage to get twice as much scaling from both the initial hit and the bleed. Being able to take both the Deadeye and Assassin nodes in the Scion ascendancy tree looks to be massively effective for it. What are some good spells for a Cast When Damage Taken + Curse on Hit link for a ranged character?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've settled on trying a ranged crit Puncture build, stacking lots of projectile damage and generic physical damage to get twice as much scaling from both the initial hit and the bleed. Being able to take both the Deadeye and Assassin nodes in the Scion ascendancy tree looks to be massively effective for it. What are some good spells for a Cast When Damage Taken + Curse on Hit link for a ranged character?

Enfeeble is the best defensive curse. Use a low level Firestorm/ice nova with a high level Curse on Hit and high level Curse.

You can also use Frenzy + gmp + curse on hit + vulnerability (for more damage over time) or temp chains (to make your bleeds last longer) as an offensive curse.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I always enjoy summoner type classes and I'd like to jump into this game, anyone have a decent build for this new patch? This tree is very daunting for a new player.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Angryaa on the forums only plays summoners. He said he would have a 2.2 build out for launch. Probably a hybrid SRS, zombie, spectre build.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Hauki posted:

Anyway no one gives a poo poo about standard.

Me. I do. I'm probably going to casually play this new league cause my buddy will be starting up again and he likes leagues, but the moment he gets bored and stops, back to standard for me. It's nice being able to slowly and eventually buy items that are usually only a dream in leagues for how much I play.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, if you want summoner advice, look for AngryAA or wherever he has his forum threads.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there still no way to find where your MTXs are? I have the green Searing Bond somewhere but finding it will be a nightmare.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Is there still no way to find where your MTXs are? I have the green Searing Bond somewhere but finding it will be a nightmare.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/989787

Cinara fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 4, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
summoners may have a lot of difficulty in the labyrinth: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/48uzw6/summoner_issues_in_ascendancy_that_needs_attention/

basically I wouldn't touch em at the start

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

You legend, thanks.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://omegak2.net/poe/enchantments.html

Not sure how accurate the data mined stuff is but :drat:.

• Locked thread