Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Does anybody know of a year-long spanish intensive program in the continental US that I could do on the GI Bill? I have a gap year between applying to medical school and will need to be around for interviews and whatnot so I can't fly down to Belize or whatnot every time. It could be emersion or set up like the DLI but run by civilians or something? It's borderline required to be at least semi-fluent in Spanish for medical practice anywhere in the SW and I speak effectively no Spanish, and am almost certainly taking either Navy or UPHS money for medical school anyways so spending my last bit of GI bill on Spanish isn't a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
why would you be flying to belize

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
All the Spanish emersion programs I know of are actually in Spanish speaking places. I can see how that was unclear, I mean't "I have to be nearby for interviews, so I can't do L.Am. emersion programs, as getting back and forth for interviews would be prohibitively expensive."

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 4, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well if republicans are to believed we will all be speaking spanish mexican in the next few years anyhow so just wait :shrug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That's what they told us 19 years in the 3rd grade, hasn't happened yet.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Soulex posted:

I plan on smoking weed with the cool kids in the bathrooms before class.

That is the correct plan.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

That's what they told us 19 years in the 3rd grade, hasn't happened yet.

the only scare mongering i can remember from my school days was about peak oil and welp

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
the future according to goon memory:
everyone will be a bilingual heroin addict driving an electric car.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Voc rehab provides 48 months instead of 36. So yes, plus 12 bonus months.

It really is better. Literally the only out of pocket expense under voc rehab is your school's forced meal plans. Everything goes on a voucher (bookstore poo poo) or you can take in receipts IF you can associate it with your degree.

Example: I had a music appreciation class for gen ed credits, and the instructor required us to go to a classical music concert, so a symphony. VA paid me back for the ticket.

Oh, and they'll flat out give you a new laptop, printer, a tablet if you can justify it.

Forget about post-9/11 if you qualify for VR&E.

Here's the thing though. I have a wife and two kids. So that BAH money is to help keep them alive. I want to do it, but whichever is going to help us out the most is going to be the obvious choice for me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Grade, middle and high school all told me we would be using metric by now.

loving liars. I learned how to convert temperatures and measurements and poo poo for what now?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Voc rehab is better than post-9/11.

It is seriously an enlisted move to take post-9/11 over voc rehab. You may as well already have a degree and be signing up for another 4 years of getting yelled at by some dude who has three days TIG on you.

You pay nothing out of pocket but food. All your books can be new instead of rentals or beat to poo poo used copies. Free laptop. Same BAH as post-9/11 as long as you qualify for post-9/11 anyhow. Reimbursements. Even for simple poo poo like pens and paper.

You have to sign some papers and agree to a career track with your counselor, provide job market analysis (just print off poo poo from indeed for jobs that you like in the field you're studying), take a few simple tests. Seriously. VR&E. Do it.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 4, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It is seriously an enlisted move to take post-9/11 over voc rehab. You may as well already have a degree and be signing up for another 4 years of getting yelled at by some dude who has three days TIG on you.

You pay nothing out of pocket but food. All your books can be new instead of rentals or beat to poo poo used copies. Free laptop. Same BAH as post-9/11 as long as you qualify for post-9/11 anyhow. Reimbursements. Even for simple poo poo like pens and paper.

You have to sign some papers and agree to a career track with your counselor, provide job market analysis (just print off poo poo from indeed for jobs that you like in the field you're studying), take a few simple tests. Seriously. VR&E. Do it.

Ok. I'll look into it. I'm not dedicated to the GI just misinformed or confused I guess.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Grade, middle and high school all told me we would be using metric by now.

metric system best system :australia:

e: spongebob a few years back i suggested you get off SA when you were going off the rails. i haven't kept my gip.xlsx up to date, so how'd things work out man? i hope ur well

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Voc Rehab is amazing but it's monthly stipend is different and potentially lower than the GI bill. I'm using my GI bill in conjunction to get the higher rate.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Might be the wrong thread, but anyone have experience with Voc rehab buying them a laptop? I'm using an iPad pro right now, which is awesome, but I need something to run ArcGIS

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

App13 posted:

Might be the wrong thread, but anyone have experience with Voc rehab buying them a laptop? I'm using an iPad pro right now, which is awesome, but I need something to run ArcGIS

There's a form you'll need to get someone from the school to sign that says you need a computer (trivially easy to do) and then the VA will get you a cheap but still new laptop. I've never taken them up on that offer (cause I can't get them to drop 2500 on a new MBP) but I have got them to fix the screen on my macbook pro.

Just talk to your counselor and tell them that you need a laptop for school.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a form you'll need to get someone from the school to sign that says you need a computer (trivially easy to do) and then the VA will get you a cheap but still new laptop. I've never taken them up on that offer (cause I can't get them to drop 2500 on a new MBP) but I have got them to fix the screen on my macbook pro.

Just talk to your counselor and tell them that you need a laptop for school.

*closes Apple Store tab with $2500 MBP*

I'll talk to my counsellor next time I see her. My girlfriend works at the Apple Store so I may just buy one myself if the VA is just going to provide me with a $600 pc

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Some of us aren't broken ok

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you need a macbook pro or something and your program will sign off saying that you actually need that, you might be able to convince them. Like if you're doing something requires mac software, you're golden.

I just need a laptop for taking exams on software that's available on both windows and OSX. There's no way I could convince them that I needed a mac specifically.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Teflon Don posted:

Congrats

Dude McAwesome posted:

metric system best system :australia:

e: spongebob a few years back i suggested you get off SA when you were going off the rails. i haven't kept my gip.xlsx up to date, so how'd things work out man? i hope ur well

I'm getting by. Moving cross-country in about 3 weeks. Gonna get a fresh start somewhere that is not in the South. Otherwise, I'm alright.

All the time I took off from the forums did me well too. I love this place but it's like wearing jaded lens glasses after a while.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Teflon Don posted:

I don't know how you could gently caress up your final physical enough to not get 30%.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I got a pat on the bum and a wave from the navy, but 60% from the VA. Always worth it to try

Also did we ever figure out how old is too old to date an 18 year old? I ask for a friend.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

App13 posted:

I got a pat on the bum and a wave from the navy, but 60% from the VA. Always worth it to try

Also did we ever figure out how old is too old to date an 18 year old? I ask for a friend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Date? Eh. gently caress? Go right ahead.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
As a 33 year old dating and now sharing my home with a 23 year old, it's pretty nice. But she's had a big girl job for 3 years now and has run her own life for awhile so the age gap really only pops up when I quote Beavis and Butthead

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
not getting 90s references is a deal breaker imo

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Vasudus posted:

not getting 90s references is a deal breaker imo

She gets the 80s ones just fine, which is odd, and I make way more of those

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

She gets the 80s ones just fine, which is odd, and I make way more of those

Probably because television and film writers and producers from the 2000s grew up in the 80s, and incorporated a large number of 80s references into their works.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psydude posted:

Probably because television and film writers and producers from the 2000s grew up in the 80s, and incorporated a large number of 80s references into their works.

Most likely

App13
Dec 31, 2011

22-23 is when females turn from girls to women and lose a bit of hope about life, imo. Aka its prime relationship time.

Though it seems that I only ever meet girls that are 18-21, or 26-32. Never in between. Not complaining, though. I'm in my mid twenties so I don't mind the 18-21 crowd, and I have some mom issues so I don't mind loving the 26-32 crowd.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
never date in the midwest unless you want 5 kids before you hit 25

App13
Dec 31, 2011

That's why you move to the north east and marry a frigid brunette

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

App13 posted:

That's why you move to the north east and marry a frigid brunette

You'll probably meet a half dozen of them just unloading your moving your truck. My god, they're everywhere here.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
A girl I slept with from New Hampshire kept everything shaved except her taint.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

That sounds like the vag equivalent of a soul patch.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

I think we're Eskimo brothers

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

App13 posted:

I think we're Eskimo brothers

Oh poo poo, that was your mom?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

The worst is when they try to shave but just do a quick once-over across the outside and you're staring at a fuzzy lobster claw wondering "where did I go wrong in life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeris posted:

The worst is when they try to shave but just do a quick once-over across the outside and you're staring at a fuzzy lobster claw wondering "where did I go wrong in life"

I call that the merkin urchin

• Locked thread