Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Just watching snake eyez, I'm fairly certain daigo is going to obliterate him if they meet at evo. Li Joe and Art both look stronger at the moment too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It will reflect projectiles but disappear after doing so once

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Aegis is the exact same as SF3........but all his costumes have pants.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Art's Sim looks terrifying.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodoze posted:

Aegis shouldn't change at all but will because dumb game

it will be boring and people will defend it because sfv is about hard reads or something

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pomp posted:

it will be boring and people will defend it because sfv is about hard reads or something

Reading is hard, that's why it's called hard read

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pomp posted:

it will be boring and people will defend it because sfv is ESPORTS.

Fixed that for you.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

when i was in kindergarten i read at a 3rd strike level

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
what does urien even have outside of aegis that doesn't involve his tackle juggles or his dope voice acting (things he wont have in SF5)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

darealkooky posted:

what does urien even have outside of aegis that doesn't involve his tackle juggles or his dope voice acting (things he wont have in SF5)

i half remember good pokes from when i was trying to learn 3s for real

which he also won't have in sf5

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Ag Bengip posted:

Looking quite balanced so far, I'd say. Too bad they balanced it by nerfing fun.

Remember that site shows balance statistics according to average scrub matches, not balance according to the characters being played at the highest level.

One good way was how Arcadia used to do it. I don't remember exactly how it went, but I think they did a survey among top tourney players where they would fill out a grid of matchups for their main char and how they think each goes(or something like that), then the characters were ranked according to how their aggregate matchups went vs. the rest of the cast.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The good way is that you also gather data by rank tier, not just everything into one pile. Then you can tell if one character is OP at a particular level of play and adjust accordingly.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's still fun to look up the really good people's ids and see who they lose to.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Corbeau posted:

OP at a particular level of play

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bronze league nash players own me. i am hosed far and i am hosed close. gotta start playing nash.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

How long can we possibly keep up this charade that people who enjoy this game are faking it?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Guys I just signed up for churning the butter tonight I can't wait for my mika to get 0-2'd

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am too stupid to understand that this game is bad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This game got really boring really fast

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I like the game

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jmcrofts posted:

How long can we possibly keep up this charade that people who enjoy this game are faking it?

i don't think they're faking it but i don't understand it in the slightest

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Alright I'm 0-1. I picked ryu into a mirror because this was my first time using a stick and I preferred to play a really familiar character. I got wrecked but I got a few sweet anti-air srks in, so I feel good about it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Pomp posted:

I think they are crazy

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Baal posted:

BINGO

I was bored on beta #3.

Something about sf lends it self to shorter bursts than anime games for me.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Pomp posted:

Hello friend, I've been playing and posting about SF4 since 2009, how are you?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Jmcrofts posted:

wait, do people that stand to gain nothing from playing this game (like cred, money, etc) actually enjoy it?

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Baal posted:

no one could have predicted

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick
I actually kind of like this game more now that using V meter and the choice of wakeup option seems to have some amount of decision making involved and its pretty easy to pick up more than 1 character as well

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

cams posted:

when i was in kindergarten i read at a 3rd strike level

I read at the xrd level.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

no one could have predicted

I mean I already knew I was gonna get sick of it but I can only handle so many 1v1 lobbies and online scrubs etc before getting up and just being done

It probably doesn't help I played all four betas but I was hoping beyond some shadow of a doubt that the release version would grab me a bit more and I'm just kinda like "Eh" a week later.

It did make me want to play more GG, Melty Blood, BB, and Killer Instinct tho

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Trykt posted:

Hello friend, I've been playing and posting about SF4 since 2009, how are you?
as posted from the insane asylum

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Fereydun posted:

as posted from the insane asylum

"i think you will find that this is actually a martial arts gym that I am training in friend." *rams self face first into drool soaked padded wall*

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Omg guys, churning the butter update: I won my second match so I'm 1-1! I found out I could use the ds4 I brought so I picked mika into a chun. They actually were really good, knew their combos, but I think they haven't played many mikas. I closed out the set 2-0 with a critical art finish. Feels absolutely incredible I have to admit, my nerves are still firing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cams posted:

i am too stupid to understand that this game is bad

This is me also. I genuinely enjoy both getting bodied like the scrub that I am at this game and watching it be played at high level.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

giogadi posted:

Omg guys, churning the butter update: I won my second match so I'm 1-1! I found out I could use the ds4 I brought so I picked mika into a chun. They actually were really good, knew their combos, but I think they haven't played many mikas. I closed out the set 2-0 with a critical art finish. Feels absolutely incredible I have to admit, my nerves are still firing.

Nice, congrats on the win man! What name did you enter under?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

slev posted:

I like the game

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I entered as "Luis", because I didn't feel like spelling out my gamer tag in a loud bar.

I lost against a reeeeally solid Sim. I haven't played many Sims now that I think about it, but I just couldn't get in on him! I also learned a valuable lesson: button check thoroughly. Turned out my 3P and 3K buttons weren't bound 😞

I stayed around to play some casuals and it was a really great time. Any goons that are hesitant about going to their locals: just go! Doesn't matter if you're bad. Everyone was so nice and just happy to have more people around.

Another nice thing is I'm now like 20000x more motivated to get better.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

giogadi posted:

I entered as "Luis", because I didn't feel like spelling out my gamer tag in a loud bar.

I lost against a reeeeally solid Sim. I haven't played many Sims now that I think about it, but I just couldn't get in on him! I also learned a valuable lesson: button check thoroughly. Turned out my 3P and 3K buttons weren't bound 😞

I stayed around to play some casuals and it was a really great time. Any goons that are hesitant about going to their locals: just go! Doesn't matter if you're bad. Everyone was so nice and just happy to have more people around.

Another nice thing is I'm now like 20000x more motivated to get better.

That's awesome. From the stream it looks like there are some very strong Mika players there in the winners bracket. You might be able to get tips from them. I'm jealous you are that close to a big scene.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Giogadi, you've inspired me. Whats WNF like to just show up to? Never been to a local but its just up the road (well, an hour) and I'm kinda tempted.

Any top tips Cams? When I get bopped out of the tournament 0-2 are there setups for casuals etc?

RossCo fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Baal posted:

I'm the opposite, it's actually grown on me a lot. I wish they would drop the March content thing already, though.