Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Jim Barris posted:

I couldn't loving believe it when the guy at the store told me it was 40 some odd dollars for a 16 gb memory card. That seems like a lot of loving money for a glorified SD card. I almost bought Tales of Hearts R earlier, too. The gamestop I was at only had copies with no case to go with it which, gently caress that. I'll have to check that out tho, never actually played a tales game before.

Hearts R is actually one of higher-tier Tales games, in my opinion, so definitely try to track it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jim Barris posted:

I bought a VITA recently along with Persona 4 Golden, Persona 4 Dancing All Night, Muramasa, EDF 2, Gravity Rush, and Freedom Wars. I got tactics ogre and Atletier Esha & Logy through the PS store. Are there any other JRPG styled games on the VITA that I should check out? I'm also a big fan of puzzle games so anything like that would be up my alley, too. Also, is it worth it to get PS Plus as a Vita owner?

The benefit of Plus for vita owners is that you can back up saves to the cloud. Saves aren't separate from game installs on the vita, because sony wanted to make the device as lovely to use as possible, which means your saves will be deleted if you delete a psn store game. The only way to back up saves without plus is to transfer the entire game install to your PC over a usb or wifi and keep it somewhere, which may or may not be a problem for you. you can't just back up saves to your pc, it has to be the entire 4gb game or whatever. it's a more serious problem for vita tv owners because they don't have a usb slot so you have to back up over wifi which sucks hardcore. If you are going fully physical you won't run out of space but there's a lot of digital-only or limited edition vita games around, so that's not possible.

A good jrpg you have missed is the new Digimon game, which shockingly is quite solid and has a lot of cool monster designs to mess with.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

corn in the bible posted:

A good jrpg you have missed is the new Digimon game, which shockingly is quite solid and has a lot of cool monster designs to mess with.

I agree. It has so much good quality of life stuff. I really did not expect that they'd get me to buy a Digimon game again, much less to agree that it was a good choice.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, in the case of both the Vita and the 3DS "Mobile game is now a thing" is something that has to be taken into account. Dedicated handheld gaming devices are either going to become a narrower niche or be on their way out entirely depending on how things go. Anyone with an interest in gaming probably has a device in their pocket that they have on them 24/7 and can play many games while having more relative utility so a dedicated device is going to be harder and harder to justify.

Considering that, according to rumours, the Portable NX will actually be a scaled down version of Home NX whose gimmick is to be the home console's joypad, (basically a WiiU pad but with its own cpu/gpu) we can see that as a dedicated handheld it will disappear, and that the console will just be your joypad/nintendo login/...

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Jim Barris posted:

I couldn't loving believe it when the guy at the store told me it was 40 some odd dollars for a 16 gb memory card. That seems like a lot of loving money for a glorified SD card.

Saw it coming a mile away myself, it's punishment for the west pirating the poo poo out of the PSP.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nothing promotes sales like theoretical punishment! They sure won that battle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Megalixir posted:

Saw it coming a mile away myself, it's punishment for the west pirating the poo poo out of the PSP.

Tell us more about what you saw in your crystal ball four or five years ago.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/shimrra/status/705506518251212800

:smith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:hesdeadjim:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

thorsilver posted:

Or you can be Nintendo and sell 58 million widgets and make a profit on every single one while all your competitors make a loss on every unit. So again I don't see your point.

sony dont though? the ps4 has been profitable per unit since like 3 months after launch, and its going to eclipse the 3ds in sales.

nintendo going from the DS and the wii level sales to the wii u and 3ds has been an unqualified failure, and if they cannot turn things around with the NX they will start getting in trouble. they cannot afford to sell gently caress all units, even at a profit, forever. sorry.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
like im sorry if this is for some reason contentious but nintendo can no longer keep putting out handhelds with graphics 2 generations behind when your phone can pump out far better graphics, you already have a phone anyway, and the games are a poo poo ton cheaper. its not a sustainable model and the 3ds' sales declining so heavily from the DS/PSP show this. its important to include the PSP because it actually sold pretty well, and in that case the handheld market has shrunk from 235 million units to about 60 million in a single generation. combine that with a home console business which, apart from one wild exception, has been declining since the SNES and it is an issue.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like to play video games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Help Im Alive posted:

Too bad, video games are dead.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
we are playing games on a dead console in a dead market. im sorry everyone. RIP

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Same.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stux posted:

sony dont though? the ps4 has been profitable per unit since like 3 months after launch, and its going to eclipse the 3ds in sales.

nintendo going from the DS and the wii level sales to the wii u and 3ds has been an unqualified failure, and if they cannot turn things around with the NX they will start getting in trouble. they cannot afford to sell gently caress all units, even at a profit, forever. sorry.

Stux posted:

like im sorry if this is for some reason contentious but nintendo can no longer keep putting out handhelds with graphics 2 generations behind when your phone can pump out far better graphics, you already have a phone anyway, and the games are a poo poo ton cheaper. its not a sustainable model and the 3ds' sales declining so heavily from the DS/PSP show this. its important to include the PSP because it actually sold pretty well, and in that case the handheld market has shrunk from 235 million units to about 60 million in a single generation. combine that with a home console business which, apart from one wild exception, has been declining since the SNES and it is an issue.

who cares

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

me

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

kirbysuperstar posted:

Too bad, video games are dead.

Video games are the devil and hell, I'm glad they're dead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

so nobody

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

probably also the person i was responding to. im sorry having a conversation is so offensive to you.

edit: i dont really give a poo poo about senran kagura but i dont go and quote anyone talking about it going "who cares??? why are u posting about this?!"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jim Barris posted:

I couldn't loving believe it when the guy at the store told me it was 40 some odd dollars for a 16 gb memory card. That seems like a lot of loving money for a glorified SD card. I almost bought Tales of Hearts R earlier, too. The gamestop I was at only had copies with no case to go with it which, gently caress that. I'll have to check that out tho, never actually played a tales game before.

They used to be like 80.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

In Training posted:

They used to be like 80.

lol i almost said "wow what a deal u shouldve bought that"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Healbot posted:

Video games are the devil and hell, I'm glad they're dead.

To offer an opposing viewpoint: play games, hail Satan :devil:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

13/f/cali posted:

I agree. It has so much good quality of life stuff. I really did not expect that they'd get me to buy a Digimon game again, much less to agree that it was a good choice.

Cold Steel 1, Oreshika, Atelier (pick your trilogy), Toukiden (not quite JRPG) are all great. Demon Gaze, Operation Abyss and a few other DRPGs might be worth checking out. Neptunia games, Lost Dimenstion is YMMV (personally not my cup of tea). Dragon's Crown is a pretty awesome beat' up with with RPG trappings.

Then you have some pretty good RPGs from PSP library.

For memory cards, just look for a deal. 16GB regularly goes for $30 and has been been lower then that. 32GB goes for $50-$60 quite often.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stux posted:

probably also the person i was responding to. im sorry having a conversation is so offensive to you.

edit: i dont really give a poo poo about senran kagura but i dont go and quote anyone talking about it going "who cares??? why are u posting about this?!"

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Consoles are fine for the foreseeable future because a handheld device that can play high-end games is not going to be cost effective anytime soon, and most major consoles are diversifying into multimedia devices rather than just dedicated gaming devices.

Mobile devices are crap for normally priced games due to the fact that Apple or Google break APIs with every yearly OS iteration often requires additional patching efforts which is not greatly viable for older games. You can see numerous examples of that littered through the iOS App Store. It's a hard sell for a $30-$40 game (beside the point that nobody will buy that high priced game on App Store in the first place) when that game has a good chance of stopping working on your phone in a year. You can play your 2011 game on 3DS or 2012 game on Vita with no issues.

It's not feasible for vast majority of people to keep multiple phones with different firmware/OS versions for continuity even if he app was backed up and is still in the App Store (hey Bioshock). So there is still a niche for handhelds, the question is how big is that niche. If NINTENDO somehow has same games working on consoles and handhelds that would certainly be a strong move as they would not have to separate Dev streams and will have overall larger available library. Sony is going a different route with PS Now which is also viable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know but they seem to have virtually every Psx game that's worth a poo poo . I've had pretty much 100% success rate when looking for games I was nostalgic for.

This is one of the major reasons I bought a vita. It plays so many psp/ps1 games, and I never owned a console before so they're all new to me, and if I see a good one I can play it now with zero effort and outside.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only time I wasn't able to find what I wanted was when they didn't have DW7 on there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Truga posted:

This is one of the major reasons I bought a vita. It plays so many psp/ps1 games, and I never owned a console before so they're all new to me, and if I see a good one I can play it now with zero effort and outside.

Yeah, there's some rad psp and ps1 stuff on there, and even new translations for psp games coming out on occasion (brandish, for example). I've been playing Carnage Hearts EXA and it's the coolest loving thing so I don't regret it

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
The horrendously overpriced proprietary memory cards were the biggest reason I wrote off the Vita from the start.
Now I've just been shopping around for one so I can use its Remote Play, because after screwing around with it on my phone, I want something that lets me do the same but with built-in control buttons.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Wow stux is even worse when he actually tries to post

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Stux posted:

I still fail to see how the market normalising after a one-gen-only surge of casual gamers who, not surprisingly, have now stopped buying dedicated devices and buy poo poo games for phones instead, is some sort of massive failure on Nintendo's part. I mean, you even seem to acknowledge that phenomenon in your second post.

At best, Nintendo's failure was setting ludicrously high expectations after a phenomenally successful effort at appealing to a broader gaming demographic. Now that any smart device has thousands of simple games that are nonetheless sufficient to waste time while waiting in queues, that tactic will probably never work again.

My basic point is I think it's a damaging attitude to have to say 'THE 3DS IS AN UNQUALIFIED FAILURE' when it's been a source of a lot of fantastic gaming for millions of people for the last five years, and they've continued selling millions of copies of games despite lovely screens or whatever because the games are legitimately really good. I mean yeah obviously they can't stick with 240p screens with NX but I very much doubt they will, and they've been devoting resources to NX development for some time now so we may have some interesting times ahead. Nintendo may be weird and backwards at times but they're drat good at making video games.

So basically I think implying Nintendo might as well have given up on the 3DS because 'yeah look how that turned out:rolleyes:' is kinda hosed up because gaming would've been a lot shittier in recent history without it. And the Nintendo doomsaying is just tired at this point, that old bollocks comes out at the end of every generation of consoles. More importantly if they'd given up we'd have never gotten Kirby Triple Trouble which would've been a loving war crime IMO.

Now, the Wii U? Yeah OK that was a failure.

In short,

Help Im Alive posted:

Also this is the Vita thread, why am I even talking about this? I'm sorry Vita friends. I shall go preorder Estival Versus in penance.

Just kidding! Preordered it weeks ago~

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 4, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Koei Tecmo did a Q&A on twitter.

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/705787420172754944

This is probably the most relevant tweet. They went on to say they'll support the Vita forever, but for some reason I think they were playing to the crowd.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

thorsilver posted:

Now, the Wii U? Yeah OK that was a failure.
Heh heh. Yeah. Haven't there been more Vitas sold than Wii Us?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Wii u is epic and has many quality games

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

MisterAlex posted:

Uhh maybe? Not sure. I own both of them though because

Help Im Alive posted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

MisterAlex posted:

I think so. The Wii U is more dependent on 1st party titles then the 3DS due to its gimmick controller. If you like Nintendo games then you're fine. If you like to play games from other developers, then you bought a big paperweight.

Fatal Frame implemented the control pad nicely though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

drat, Atelier Ayesha is a hell of a lot harder than E&L was. Fortress was hardcore but I did beat him and that felt good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MisterAlex posted:

In Japan, probably. Vita has not broken the 10m mark globally though.