Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I hope Romney Run goes up a bit more so I can get in on the action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Arkane posted:

you lost money in two states with sparse polling, where trump was assumed to be ahead but lost badly

now you are proclaiming that trump is a must buy in two more sparsely-polled states?

seems like you've lost the plot a little bit

haha, fair enough. That's why I put "(imo)" in there.

AK hadn't been polled for a month and a half, and Trump was only +4. I was playing swings both ways here, got caught at a bad moment - stupid decisions. The point about sparse polling is still fair of course

MN's last poll was more than a month before, and actually had both Rubio (+5 vs DT) and Cruz (+3 vs DT) ahead of Trump, so it's not exactly comparable

+13 and +17 in polls in IL/KY within the last 10 days are - again, "imo" - very different. But the good thing is we'll know the answer soon I guess

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What are everyone's thoughts on the GOP Kansas market?

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Jewel Repetition posted:

Seems like Cruz country to me. Wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I'd say 60%-70% chance of Cruz taking. Not a huge difference culturally or demographically from Oklahoma. I base this on nothing other than anecdotes and gut instinct. I'm also seeing the Gop thinking the Cruz gunshot to the chest is preferable to the Donald cyanide.

deathbysnusnu has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Mar 4, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

This isn't really the correct answer, the correct answer is that it's Trump+5 right now at 31/26.
Would you believe I read the wrong poll and that was Michigan?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In big on TrumpSpeak Yes (and its coordinate Noes).

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

GWBBQ posted:

Would you believe I read the wrong poll and that was Michigan?

Oh I just thought you were stating national numbers.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Arkane posted:

you lost money in two states with sparse polling, where trump was assumed to be ahead but lost badly

now you are proclaiming that trump is a must buy in two more sparsely-polled states?

seems like you've lost the plot a little bit
this should be the reply to every post betting on trump when he is high

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm 90% sure Rubio WON'T win, so I got Rubio NO

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Having money on Trump not getting the most time makes Cruz and Rubio slightly more tolerable. Any idea who the other guy is?

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

GWBBQ posted:

Having money on Trump not getting the most time makes Cruz and Rubio slightly more tolerable. Any idea who the other guy is?

That's John Johnson, Governor Of The Plains

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trump killing it at the debate, shares still available in TrumpNOM for .66 wtf

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

In big on TrumpSpeak Yes (and its coordinate Noes).

:smug:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
ho-ly-poo poo hope none of you bet against trump's speaking time

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A little! But man I didn't expect it to be like this, holy poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Aliquid posted:

Trump killing it at the debate, shares still available in TrumpNOM for .66 wtf

finally it's heading up

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

After reading the Kansas Republican Party's page about their caucuses, I'm beginning to think it might not be a death trap for Trump: http://www.ksgop.org/#!frequent-questions/c1a8i

Yes, they are restricted to registered republicans, but:

-Voters may arrive between 10am and 2pm
-Voters cast a secret ballot

So perhaps the Cruz persuasion slime will not be as effective as it was in Oklahoma, which is already sort of like Texas Junior. On the other hand, Cruz has a campaign presence in Kansas and Trump has essentially none.

For 20c, I think Trump is a decent buy, given that the only poll (now a few weeks old) showed him with a solid lead.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Secret ballot is good for Cruz, see Boosted_C5 and neighbors.

Anyone willing to admit what they do for a living, especially the whales? I'm self-employed, getting my MBA because I'm bad and wrong

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!
It looks like someone went crazy and bought a ton of PENCE.RNOM this morning. Today's volume shows 38,000 shares. I'm glad I left my order open to max out on NO at .99

Thanks for the free $7, PredictIt

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
God I hope Romney RUN becomes the new Biden market, even if it's just a sliver of what it once was. He's back down from 18-19% chance to "only" 12-13% chance right now.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

railroad terror posted:

God I hope Romney RUN becomes the new Biden market, even if it's just a sliver of what it once was. He's back down from 18-19% chance to "only" 12-13% chance right now.

I sincerely thought this was going to quickly return to .01-.02 within a day or two but it looks like a small handful of idiots are gonna keep this propped up for a while :mad:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Secret ballot is good for Cruz, see Boosted_C5 and neighbors.

Anyone willing to admit what they do for a living, especially the whales? I'm self-employed, getting my MBA because I'm bad and wrong

How does that follow? People are more likely to support Trump if they don't have to admit it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I still can't believe "will the GOP win 370 electoral votes" is at 12 cents. That is absolutely free money if you don't mind letting $850 sit for a few months.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

nachos posted:

... if you don't mind letting $850 sit for a few months.

It's this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nachos posted:

I still can't believe "will the GOP win 370 electoral votes" is at 12 cents. That is absolutely free money if you don't mind letting $850 sit for a few months.

Also, a lot can change in 8 months' time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

Also, a lot can change in 8 months' time.

If something happens in this country that turns the tides that far in favor of Republicans, everyone is gonna have a hell of a lot more problems than being out $850.

That said, that could be the difference between survival and being taken and enslaved by the Trumpenreich.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NYT model appears to have predictions for every remaining state: http://nytimes.com/2016/03/05/upshot/if-super-tuesday-voting-pattern-continues-donald-trump-will-reach-delegate-target.html?referer=

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

This is good and their election night models have been good but I'd suggest people should not be too literal with their predictions. They are basically just modeling on demographics based on a regression of who supports which candidate. It is pretty good for rank ordering which states different candidates should be strong in, but it cannot take into account news, events, campaign activity, ads, strategic voting, closed vs open, caucus vs primary, etc.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

G-Hawk posted:

This is good and their election night models have been good but I'd suggest people should not be too literal with their predictions. They are basically just modeling on demographics based on a regression of who supports which candidate. It is pretty good for rank ordering which states different candidates should be strong in, but it cannot take into account news, events, campaign activity, ads, strategic voting, closed vs open, caucus vs primary, etc.

Yes but PI users don't need to know that. Let's get that comment section filled an ride some flipwaves!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Serious q: Is strategic voting even statistically significant? It seems like if it does exist even by a few percentage points it'd be negated by people doing the same thing in the other direction.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So are these bets literally as simple as staring at something that is split 80%/20% then taking the obvious choice of 80% and reaping the rewards from morons?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Necc0 posted:

Serious q: Is strategic voting even statistically significant? It seems like if it does exist even by a few percentage points it'd be negated by people doing the same thing in the other direction.

It's funny, but no one actually knows. There have been multiple attempts to figure out what effect strategic voting has on elections with little success. There is some - for example, third party candidates almost always register more support in polls than they actually get, and many people interpret this as strategic voting. But it's not clear. It's extremely difficult to measure actual preference vs. strategic preference. I think most people believe strategic voting has a relatively minor effect, though.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yes but PI users don't need to know that. Let's get that comment section filled an ride some flipwaves!

i prefer when they just bet on RCP averages without further context

I don't really know what to do with KS tomorrow, I might just play it on movement during the day. I think Cruz is overpriced but I don't really want to bet against him.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sylink posted:

So are these bets literally as simple as staring at something that is split 80%/20% then taking the obvious choice of 80% and reaping the rewards from morons?

You can do that, but you're risking 100% of your bet for a 20% gain. In general, always betting on the "sure thing" is a bad strategy. If you had bet on Trump winning Alaska, which was heavily favored by PredictIt, you'd basically be out your entire investment right now.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
edit: wrong thread

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sylink posted:

Sometimes, but the more likely outcome is just as often badly overweight because people flock to the safe money.

As an example, while the Alaska caucus results were being counted, Trump held a lead of some 50 votes at 10% reporting and Trump Yes/Cruz No was holding strong at almost 90 cents.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ok, I can see that, I at least did some research instead of just going with the flow.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

They've got Rubio winning Kansas? Really? Should I sell my NO shares now while I can still get a profit off them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

FourLeaf posted:

They've got Rubio winning Kansas? Really? Should I sell my NO shares now while I can still get a profit off them?

I wouldn't consider Rubio the favorite but hanging onto Rubio No is probably a bad idea. That model is good for him, he is in Kansas today for multiple events, and his campaign has been running more Ads on tv there than anyone else. Seems like they're targeting it. He probably won't win, but a NO share there is a lot higher downside than upside

edit: Disclosure, I own a bunch of Rubio yes in KS.

G-Hawk has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Mar 4, 2016

• Locked thread