Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Darkpriest667 posted:

This is the question I was wondering, I am not trying to be a total jackass about this, but why the hell is someone on the edge of a 40 foot retaining wall? Now perhaps she was on the ground beside the retaining wall, but that still doesn't explain why the hell she fell off of it. I hope she recovers fully.

That's one of the (numerous) problems I had with the near immediate plea for 50k in help. I think if you're asking people for money you owe it to them to explain the circumstances behind why you want it.

Whether or not I may want to help someone will depend heavily on those circumstances. E.g. if your house burns down I'm not going to respond to the following explanations equally:

1. While you were sleeping faulty wiring somewhere started a fire.

2. While you were drunk and smoking crack, you tried to heat up a hot pocket by setting your coffee table on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are we open to ripping off homaging other scifi franchises for Solar Plebian? I like the idea of a button labelled something like "photon torpedoes" that triggers the response "An excellent plan, sir, with just two main flaws. One, we don't have any photon torpedoes, and two, we don't have any photon torpedoes. I realise that's technically only one flaw but it's such a good one I thought it was worth mentioning twice."

Stuff from the Star Trek Markov chain twitterbot could be good as well if just randomly announced by the ship's computer.
"Captain's log, supplemental. Prime Minister Nayrok has taken over by an angry mob."
"Computer, all senior officers report to the Orinoco. Prepare for a woodland setting, with a touch of pear and one cup of vegetable bouillon."
"Captain's log, stardate 2818.9. There are two hundred forty six elements known to be a minor inconvenience."
etc

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

Is this the same Fuzzy Modem that posts here? Sandi's "friend" that gets physically ill when people speak ill of her?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320815/don-t-wait-to-rearm-buy-a-pack-mule

It does appear to be the same Fuzzy Modem.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Fuzzy_Modem

http://www.fuzzymodem.com/

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sunswipe posted:

Are we open to ripping off homaging other scifi franchises for Solar Plebian? I like the idea of a button labelled something like "photon torpedoes" that triggers the response "An excellent plan, sir, with just two main flaws. One, we don't have any photon torpedoes, and two, we don't have any photon torpedoes. I realise that's technically only one flaw but it's such a good one I thought it was worth mentioning twice."

Stuff from the Star Trek Markov chain twitterbot could be good as well if just randomly announced by the ship's computer.
"Captain's log, supplemental. Prime Minister Nayrok has taken over by an angry mob."
"Computer, all senior officers report to the Orinoco. Prepare for a woodland setting, with a touch of pear and one cup of vegetable bouillon."
"Captain's log, stardate 2818.9. There are two hundred forty six elements known to be a minor inconvenience."
etc

Oh very much so. This is gold.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mirificus posted:

Is this the same Fuzzy Modem that posts here? Sandi's "friend" that gets physically ill when people speak ill of her?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320815/don-t-wait-to-rearm-buy-a-pack-mule

lol

making up things that will totally be possible like selling ammo in deep space

i hope he pays his crew to EVA out and slowly move the munitions between ships. anything less would break my immersion and not be fidelitous at all

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320829/i-hate-this-game-because

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Zucchini Fritters
3 medium zucchinis
1 bunch green onion
1 bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley
1/2 bunch fresh dill
1 cup fresh crumbled feta
2 eggs
2 cup flour (plus extra)
salt
1/2 cup corn or vegetable oil (plus extra)

1. Grate the zucchini into a bowl and salt it liberally. Lay a paper towel across a baking sheet and spread the grated zucchini across it, to try to wick away moisture. You can leave the thing out overnight to dry it out, or do what I do - squeeze the water out with paper towels. It's not important that it be totally dry, you just want to get rid of some of the water. Return it to the bowl.

2. Crumble the feta over the zucchini. Dice the green onion, parsley, and dill. Sprinkle over the mixture. Add the eggs - you can use just egg yolks, or you can use the whole egg.

3. Stir, adding flour slowly as you go. You will likely end up using a bit more than the 2c the recipe calls for. Ideally, you want a batter that isn't too wet-looking; if you got most of the moisture out in step 1, you'll add less. If, like me, you're lazy and didn't get any of the water out, you'll need to add more flour. Just keep adding and stirring until the mixture looks like a sticky - but not dripping - green mess.

4. Heat the oil on medium heat. Grab a serving spoon and use that to scoop up about 1/4 cups of the mixture at a time. Drop those into the heated oil. You don't want a super-hot pan here because these things are dense. Drop several of them into the pan. Fry for about 5 minutes on a side, give or take. Make a few to start with, then try them with your dipping sauces. The first few times I made these I under-salted them. Now I serve them with homemade tzaziki sauce, which itself is salty.

This recipe is great because it's totally forgiving. You can substitute basically any ingredient you like. I've made these with leeks, Vidalla onions, pine nuts, no parsley, etc. I do recommend keeping the feta cheese in there, though - it adds saltiness that's necessary. Basically, it's impossible to gently caress this up unless you have your oil too hot.

I make mine with a homemade tzaziki sauce (plain Greek yogurt | fresh squeezed lemon juice | diced cucumber | dill | salt). You can also serve them with sour cream or sriracha aoli or whatever the gently caress. They're good little hockey pucks of reasonably-healthy nourishment that keep forever. Can be eaten cold or hot, as a breakfast or snack or side dish.

Edit: I'm still about 400 pages behind, I hope foodchat is still ongoing and that Bootcha learns to cook

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FrankieGoes posted:

That's one of the (numerous) problems I had with the near immediate plea for 50k in help. I think if you're asking people for money you owe it to them to explain the circumstances behind why you want it.

That's bullshit.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

One that I know likes to 'keep his hand in'

There's a joke somewhere in there.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

That's bullshit.

How so?

Can I have $1500?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

Oh very much so. This is gold.

:neckbeard: I'm helping! "Captain's log, stardate 42523.7. We have become an unexplored region."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hav posted:

That's bullshit.

I concur.

e: got my words mixed up again. I actually disagree.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Hav posted:

That's bullshit.

Hello friend have I got a game for you.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
If this game were to ever come out each time a multicrew ships explodes there will be like a mini guild explosion with it. Blame, accusations, breakups. Wonderful.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

This is from a while back, but gently caress it, this thread moves too fast (Or not fast enough when it dipped into loving D&D). I legitimately want to hear Romero's thoughts on this project. The guy has to be at least somewhat self-aware after all this time. The insight into building a tire fire from someone who has done it before would be fascinating. While we're on it, any of the Kaos studios or 38 Studios devs would have some interesting views too, I'm sure.

I'm almost sad this won't actually happen.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How is "she was on a wall and fell off" not an explanation of why he wants the money?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mirificus posted:

Another fever dream of poo poo that they aren't even close to adding after 4 or so years of work. I just want to shake these people and yell "NONE OF THIS poo poo IS EVER GOING TO HAPPEN, SNAP OUT IT"

CRoberts is the 2010's PT Barnum.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Galarox posted:

So far behind it's unfunny. By the way, have you lot seen the new Asterix book?

Good grief :five:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

Good call. I'll add this to the ship startup "script."

No Shepard tone spoolup?
:saddowns:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

He has won many awards about spaceships that are not totally made up

http://www.fuzzymodem.com/film.html

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

radium.txt is all the rage in gbs

Bill Barber posted:

lmao who would hire such an idiot?

:laffo:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The book itself works in context. Swap out the Obelisks for jpegs.

Dusty Lens posted:

Hello friend have I got a game for you.

Too busy palming off CiG refugees in comedy forums.

FrankieGoes posted:

I concur.

e: got my words mixed up again. I actually disagree.

Not bad, you got the 50/50 chance on the second try.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Berious posted:

Crobbers has the most bland and boring tastes imaginable. I bet when he eats Indian food he'll only try chicken korma.

I knew a guy with autism, refused to eat indian food or anything exotic. Every restaurant we went to, he'd always order the same thing: chicken fingers. High class, low class: chicken fingers. That's how I see Chris Robertos

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I would like to make a wild prediction: Sandi will eat something on RtV today.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Oh so he really was an idiot lurking for years who finally lost his nerve because he felt grief for Sandi and not a one-time troll?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Sunswipe posted:

etc

Now I think we should have a couple screens, each running different Markov bots. One being star trek, one being SC press reports... :D

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That genuinely blows me away. CIG is years away from making anything and yet they have the time to make a loving documentary about it.

Then again I guess it makes sense that CIG would deliver a documentary at the same level of completion as their game.

What is better when the world is burning (or pot in this case) than to film it for posterity?

Because when this goes down with the giant thud this material will be a master stroke.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
Q)

What are derek's smarties?

I see them on peoples avatars. kinda curious actually.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

They probably have to reshoot footage constantly. Wouldn't want shots of people working on cut content to make it into the final documentary!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG's media outflow machine working on a behind the scenes documentary isn't absurd in and of itself. It's something they said they were going to do and it was something I was actually looking forward to way back during the Wingman days. When I idiotically assumed that people like him were taking 10 minutes a week to put together something brief that captured some of the energy or emotion of that particular period to incorporate into a later effort.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 2, 2016

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG's media outflow machine working on a behind the scenes documentary isn't absurd in and of itself. It's something they said they were going to do and it was something I was actually looking forward to way back during the Wingman days. When I idiotically assumed that people like him were taking 10 minutes a week to put together something brief that captured some of the energy or emotion of that particular period to incorporate into a later effort.

Being shown a video of directors Sandi and Ben setting up some kind of studio to begin working on some kind of pain chamber where people will repeat how amazing the community is for ascending their visionary into the celestial interspersed with montages of CIG's upper echelon shaking hands with Gary Oldman and ogling Gillian Anderson's most secret places while their wive's are back in the states isn't the kind of production that makes sense when the company is sinking four years after they initially pulled the trigger.

If CIG was a sincere company that was actually pulling it off I imagine they would receive a very warm response with clips of a pre-black pumpkin Chris Roberts driving around with a computer tower talking about how he wasn't sure what the poo poo was going to happen with the conceptual pitch he was starting to work on would ever raise so much as an eyebrow. Rather than, you know, some kind of cynical loving effort towards establishing that one 'filmed a documentary'.

Also Solar Plebian should have a risk assessment system that lets you know if the other ship costs less than yours.

Maybe it'll take a turn for the dramatic like that French doc about the FDNY filmed in Sept 2001.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Decrepus posted:

How is "she was on a wall and fell off" not an explanation of why he wants the money?

It's an explanation in the same way "my house burnt down" is an explanation. Review my previous post on this page regarding this subject.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

intardnation posted:

What is better when the world is burning (or pot in this case) than to film it for posterity?

Because when this goes down with the giant thud this material will be a master stroke.

they are for people who either ironically or unironically find Derek Smart entertaining. You can be one too~

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Lmaooo. Derek actually did something nice, and this is how the shitizens respond:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/705371969852739586

The middle one, what the gently caress.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

intardnation posted:

Q)

What are derek's smarties?

I see them on peoples avatars. kinda curious actually.

Back in the day admins could give people gang tags independent of their avatars and title text.

They eventually got tired of people begging the staff to make or give them away, so they stopped doing that. Nowadays tags (like Derek's Smarties) are user uploaded files that people can link in their title text as a workaround.

You too could be a smartie if someone posted the instructions / link and you bought an avatar /title change.

The popsicle sticks some of us are wearing as badges of honor shame were from donating a few bucks to Lowtax a few months ago to support the forums move to cloud hosting.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ravane posted:

Lmaooo. Derek actually did something nice, and this is how the shitizens respond:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/705371969852739586

The middle one, what the gently caress.

Breaking news: the star citizen community is loving terrible.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

The insurance premiums are paid for in JPEGs, which is why the art director needs another 50k in crowdfunded money to pay for his daughter's medical care.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Ash1138 posted:

Oh so he really was an idiot lurking for years who finally lost his nerve because he felt grief for Sandi and not a one-time troll?

That does appear to be the case with Fuzzy Modem. It surprised me because I've seen Cryo/Fuzzy Modem on the RSI forums a lot but didn't notice until today that they are also Fuzzy Modem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

It does appear to be the same Fuzzy Modem.

His sig says:
Fuzzy Modem, "The Happy Alaskan" -- Chris Roberts

Who else would it be?

• Locked thread