Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Here's another question now that Hangover has been mentioned: Has there been a film sequel as blatant as Hangover 2 in terms of being literally the exact same movie as the first one?

Escape from LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

Escape from LA.

On a tangential note I really hate how syfy or whatever garbage trash cable channel keeps playing An American Werewolf in Paris

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Crank 2? It's so awesome though.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Star Trek Into Darkness

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snak posted:

Men in Black II

I just watched all three of those in the last two days. I had never seen 3 before, and it's probably about as good as the first one. 2 has got to be one of the ugliest, shallowest. by-the-book lame joke attempt at a comedy I've ever seen. It makes Lost in Space look like Oscar material by comparison.

It was such a massive let down. There was a hundred different directions they could have taken the sequel but they just couldn't come up with a new idea.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Armyman25 posted:

Escape from LA.

Escape from LA is a parody of NY. There's a reason it takes place in and around Hollywood.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Escape from LA is a parody of NY. There's a reason it takes place in and around Hollywood.
It's also amazing :colbert: Nice role for Bruce "The Chin" Campbell in it, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I happen to think it's better than NY but I have a soft spot for sequels like that.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hibernator posted:

Star Trek Into Darkness

If you cut out every plot point that isn't "ship against bigger ship" then yeah, you're absolutely right.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I should skip work on Wednesday to see The Maltese Falcon on the big screen, right? Right.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

WarEternal posted:

I should skip work on Wednesday to see The Maltese Falcon on the big screen, right? Right.

I'm glad we had this talk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WarEternal posted:

What are ya? Some kinda mug?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I happen to think it's better than NY but I have a soft spot for sequels like that.

Thank god I'm not the only one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In a lot of ways it's more "watchable". Escape From New York has a really fantastic slow-burn quality to it. The whole thing just oozes atmosphere. Escape From L.A. sprays atmosphere at your face and just moves from one bit to the next. It's a movie that doesn't slow down for anything. So which one I want to watch depends entirely on my mood.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

It has a better ending, anyway.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Much like Hangover 2, Home Alone 2 is essentially a setting change from the original. Also, much like Hangover 2, it's a really mean-spirited film.

Home Alone 2 is fairly different because it more or less completely ditches the pretense of being a family movie like the first and instead becomes pure kid wish-fulfillment of running wild in Manhattan with a bottomless credit card and no lame parents and a sick new Talkboy™.

That and instead of the climax being a home invasion where he's fighting off intruders it becomes a full-on vigilante/revenge film with Kevin provoking the burglars into his abandoned building full of Saw deathtraps.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The goofy thing about the version of the Talkboy they put out on sale around the release of the movie was that it didn't actually have the slowdown feature (they did eventually release a version with it.) That's because when they were filming the movie it wasn't actually a real product, they just decided to make it afterwards.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

Home Alone 2 is fairly different because it more or less completely ditches the pretense of being a family movie like the first and instead becomes pure kid wish-fulfillment of running wild in Manhattan with a bottomless credit card and no lame parents and a sick new Talkboy™.

That and instead of the climax being a home invasion where he's fighting off intruders it becomes a full-on vigilante/revenge film with Kevin provoking the burglars into his abandoned building full of Saw deathtraps.

Suck brick, kid!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Parachute posted:

Suck brick, kid!

Something similar to this was posted in the PYF Funny Pic thread (or gif), and this is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WKgNyvsNDM

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hockles posted:

Something similar to this was posted in the PYF Funny Pic thread (or gif), and this is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while...

It's Like 1,000 Ways to Die tackled Home Alone. I love it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hockles posted:

We always did that as kids, wondering how many times they should've died.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
In Inside Llewyn Davis, who played the man in the suit outside the Gaslight Cafe?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Armyman25 posted:

In Inside Llewyn Davis, who played the man in the suit outside the Gaslight Cafe?

Provided you're talking about the guy who confronts Llewyn at the start and close of the film, this dude

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the Usual Suspects what ethnicity is Pete Postlethwait supposed to be? He seems to be talking in an Indian or Iranian accent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In the Usual Suspects what ethnicity is Pete Postlethwait supposed to be? He seems to be talking in an Indian or Iranian accent.

Well, Kobayashi is a Japanese name, so who knows.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Presumably "Kobayashi" isn't his name though, that's just a brand of porcelain ware.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Presumably "Kobayashi" isn't his name though, that's just a brand of porcelain ware.

Yeah, and in fact, we're the only ones who have the benefit of knowing during the story that Kobayashi looks like Pete Postlethwait. The interviewer probably assumes that he is a Japanese person.

edit: Are there some decent movies where Pete Postlethwait plays a nice person?

He looks so nice

An yet he's a bad guy in almost everything I've seen him in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

As I recall, he's a decent guy in In the Name of the Father, where he incidentally is of Italian ancestry.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

As I recall, he's a decent guy in In the Name of the Father, where he incidentally is of Italian ancestry.

Not actually Italian, just named after one.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
His most memorable good-guy role for me is as Father Lawrence in Baz Lurhmann's Romeo + Juliet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Armyman25 posted:

Not actually Italian, just named after one.

Oh yeah, that's right.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

His most memorable good-guy role for me is as Father Lawrence in Baz Lurhmann's Romeo + Juliet.

Yeah, he is one of the only actors in that movie that seems to understand the lines he's reciting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

He looks so nice

Looked. We lost Postlethwaite a little over five years ago. :smith:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

Yeah, and in fact, we're the only ones who have the benefit of knowing during the story that Kobayashi looks like Pete Postlethwait. The interviewer probably assumes that he is a Japanese person.

He looks so nice

An yet he's a bad guy in almost everything I've seen him in.

He's only in it for like a minute but in James and the Giant Peach he's the Willy Wonka-ish hobo who gives James the magic macguffin that makes the giant peach.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He's also the bandleader in Brassed Off.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Just ran through his IMDB. I guess the shaved head made me not recognize him in Alien 3. I've seen that movie at least 10 times. Anyway he's not the rapey prisoner, though he's probably not a very nice guy considering he's on a weird outer space prison colony.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Just ran through his IMDB. I guess the shaved head made me not recognize him in Alien 3. I've seen that movie at least 10 times. Anyway he's not the rapey prisoner, though he's probably not a very nice guy considering he's on a weird outer space prison colony.

The Aliens universe is so dystopian he could be in for gambling debts or chewing gum in public.

He seemed like a good dude but he could have been space Hannibal Lecter for all I know. v0v

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

The Aliens universe is so dystopian he could be in for gambling debts or chewing gum in public.

He seemed like a good dude but he could have been space Hannibal Lecter for all I know. v0v

He spat on the sidewalk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the Nicholas Cage Wicker Man a comedy? Cage's performance is almost absurdist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

Is the Nicholas Cage Wicker Man a comedy? Cage's performance is almost absurdist.

Nicholas Cage says it is.