Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can you do Ryu's tech parry from the ground? I'm really hoping the answer is no because I cant do it

From the ground meaning as you stand up after a sweep or such, not sure how to explain it, like a wake-up parry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Madcosby posted:

Can you do Ryu's tech parry from the ground? I'm really hoping the answer is no because I cant do it

From the ground meaning as you stand up after a sweep or such, not sure how to explain it, like a wake-up parry

Yes, you can reversal parry on wakeup or any other time coming out of blockstun. However the parry still takes 3 frames to startup, so it can't beat a meaty attack and you'll get counterhit for attempting it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

E: beaten like i deserve

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Anybody up for some critique the goon time?

I recorded a few matches for critiquing if anybody's bored and feels like bashing somone.

Here's a match against a Nash. I did okay here whereas I'm usually not great against good Nashes, so this guy is probably not so good. I'm awful at anti-airing and really tentative to do it because Necalli's dp is pretty slow on startup and whiffs on people crossing up, so that's a thing I'm working on. I also didn't punish as well as I should, and I dropped a really important combo at the end.

This is me against a Laura that I had just beat previously. I played like a complete moron round one, played alright round two and played kind of dumb round three again. I felt better about the win but thought this might be a better match to get feedback on.

Finally me against Birdie. The two characters I have major problems with are Bison and Birdie, and watching this I think I'm just not dealing with the matchup against Birdie well at all. I jump too often, I get hit with his dive grab WAY too much, I try to punish things I shouldn't and try to poke out of strings at the wrong times. I think I just need to grind punishes and know Birdie's pressure strings a bit better, as well as constantly being on the watch for his dive grab. Also stop jumping in at him, because that rarely works.

I went 11-4 in this session, so I'm feeling alright with it, but I'd rather not lose to some of the things I lose to. I get really upset with myself if I lose to Kens and Ryus doing dumb poo poo, even though I'm arguably dumber for falling for it. Sometimes pressuring on wakeup isn't the best idea, and I tend to get pretty predictable with my wakeup pressure.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They should add a Dark Stalkers character :pray:

I would be cool with this. They probably aren't ever going to make another one...

AnonSpore posted:

Akuma calls him "corpse" so I'm pretty sure he knows what's going on in there

Yeah. Q is weird and mysterious and unsettling and I like that. His shock animation shows a metal head and musculature instead of bones like everyone else. When using one of his supers, a robot voice says "danger!" then he blows up. He also breathes like Darth Vader, grunts and sighs, and says "I am... abomination." He's creepy and unnatural and that's cool.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They should add a Dark Stalkers character :pray:

one of the early concepts for FANG was "Yeti + Yak" which is about as close as we could have gotten to Sasquatch

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Putting a Darkstalkers character in a Dimps Street Fighter game is like confining Superman to a wheelchair.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hobojim posted:

I recorded a few matches for critiquing if anybody's bored and feels like bashing somone.

Here's a match against a Nash. I did okay here whereas I'm usually not great against good Nashes, so this guy is probably not so good. I'm awful at anti-airing and really tentative to do it because Necalli's dp is pretty slow on startup and whiffs on people crossing up, so that's a thing I'm working on. I also didn't punish as well as I should, and I dropped a really important combo at the end.

This is me against a Laura that I had just beat previously. I played like a complete moron round one, played alright round two and played kind of dumb round three again. I felt better about the win but thought this might be a better match to get feedback on.

Finally me against Birdie. The two characters I have major problems with are Bison and Birdie, and watching this I think I'm just not dealing with the matchup against Birdie well at all. I jump too often, I get hit with his dive grab WAY too much, I try to punish things I shouldn't and try to poke out of strings at the wrong times. I think I just need to grind punishes and know Birdie's pressure strings a bit better, as well as constantly being on the watch for his dive grab. Also stop jumping in at him, because that rarely works.

I went 11-4 in this session, so I'm feeling alright with it, but I'd rather not lose to some of the things I lose to. I get really upset with myself if I lose to Kens and Ryus doing dumb poo poo, even though I'm arguably dumber for falling for it. Sometimes pressuring on wakeup isn't the best idea, and I tend to get pretty predictable with my wakeup pressure.

I'll give this a lil shot

I think Necalli has weak anti airs.. his DP tends to go too forward, and obviously misisng one of those hurts a lot. But it looks like you rely solely on his DP for anti-air, just a spaz jumpbackwards kick or I think he has an uppercut with fierce would mix things up and be easier to set up

As for your other match ups, you've got training room fever. You've got a solid control on your combos, but arent doing anything at all unless you have an opportunity to toss them out. I think you just need to mix in a single jab more instead of blocking endlessly waiting for a punish. Dont spam it, just make your enemy not sit atop you the entire game

but who knows, im a scrub

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
put in skullomania!!!!

says everybody despite nobody ever playing sf ex series

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I played SFEX and I do not want Skullomania in the game

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Cant watch those vids but Necalli has great AA really. Stand jab will beat everything and resets them right next to you with advantage, cr.hp has a good hitbox but a little slow, hp dp is solid and very invincible. He cant deal as well with moves right above him but other chars have that issue too. Just be conscious with spacing if they end up crossing up a lot.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

General Morden posted:

put in skullomania!!!!

says everybody despite nobody ever playing sf ex series

arguments like this don't matter when characters like birdie and mika have been heavily redesigned

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Hobojim posted:

I only watched the Birdie one.

You have hit-confirms and some stuff down. You're not a super scrub brain-dead player, so you WILL improve if you just keep playing. I'm throwing that out there because some people are just so bad you don't want to tell them to "just play" because it won't help them due to bad mindset etc.

Anyway, the biggest thing I'm seeing is that you have like..."proto-footsies". You do things that show you have an understanding of spacing and safe distances, but you aren't really doing anything with it. You sometimes stay way back out of all of Birdie's ranges because you realize he's outpoking you, and then other times you are in on him doing stuff, but I don't see much of you moving back and forth trying to bait certain pokes out of him and then punishing.

You do some pokes that count as footsies, but you're not really PLAYING FOOTSIES. This is a kind of vague critique, but watch the video and note every time you jump for no real reason. Then note the time that Birdie chain grabs you out of the jump. That happened because you were getting so predictable with the jumps. It's like you are frustrated you are losing footsies, so you jump.

You also go for DP way too much.

Watch some videos of good Necali players in tournaments (there are quite a few now) and try to see how they are handling footsies specifically. What buttons are they using that you aren't? What range are they tending to stay at? What do you think Necali's optimal range is in the Birdie matchup when you're in the neutral game?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
I hope they bring back Uncle Lee

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Help Im Alive posted:

I think they said one character per month but I might be making that up

Also there's not really anything to base this on but you could maybe assume the characters are coming in the order in this picture

I saw a SFV release roadmap with each character and feature they are adding already labelled with scheduled release months on SRK somewhere, but I cant find it now.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/FrameTrapped/status/705806795659468802

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Not jumping when you're losing at footsies is a hard habit to break. I hate getting stuck with zangief in the HP poke zone because f mk isn't enough to get me into SPD range.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

I stopped using gief mk when I saw how long his hurtbox sticks out for (3 active frames and like 13 frames where his massive hurtbox sticks out).

https://a.pomf.cat/iwcoxl.webm

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I stopped using gief mk when I saw how long his hurtbox sticks out for (3 active frames and like 13 frames where his massive hurtbox sticks out).

https://a.pomf.cat/iwcoxl.webm

Holy lol

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm no one seems to be able to punish anything because the hitboxes are stubby

I've got it! Just make the hurtboxes even bigger!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Oh Jesus

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Brosnan posted:

Hmmm no one seems to be able to punish anything because the hitboxes are stubby

I've got it! Just make the hurtboxes even bigger!

people are actually playing this game. lmao

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I mean, we've known the hitboxes are terribad for a while. The reason every character can anti-air with stand jab is because every jump-in looks like this:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Post the Cammy divekick

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Post the Cammy divekick

Also bonus, guess the move:

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Madcosby posted:

I'll give this a lil shot

I think Necalli has weak anti airs.. his DP tends to go too forward, and obviously misisng one of those hurts a lot. But it looks like you rely solely on his DP for anti-air, just a spaz jumpbackwards kick or I think he has an uppercut with fierce would mix things up and be easier to set up

As for your other match ups, you've got training room fever. You've got a solid control on your combos, but arent doing anything at all unless you have an opportunity to toss them out. I think you just need to mix in a single jab more instead of blocking endlessly waiting for a punish. Dont spam it, just make your enemy not sit atop you the entire game

but who knows, im a scrub

Thanks for the advice. I don't throw out jabs in the middle of blockstrings because I'm not entirely sure what is and isn't a frametrap designed to catch that yet, but I'll try to keep it more in mind. As for anti-airs, his cr.hp is okay but suffers a lot of the same problems as his dp, in that it doesn't have a good hitbox for deep or crossup jumpins. I think I need to react with jump back lp or something more often when someone jumps from close range, or time a dp for the opposite side or something. I'll fiddle with it in training.

angel opportunity posted:

I only watched the Birdie one.

You have hit-confirms and some stuff down. You're not a super scrub brain-dead player, so you WILL improve if you just keep playing. I'm throwing that out there because some people are just so bad you don't want to tell them to "just play" because it won't help them due to bad mindset etc.

Anyway, the biggest thing I'm seeing is that you have like..."proto-footsies". You do things that show you have an understanding of spacing and safe distances, but you aren't really doing anything with it. You sometimes stay way back out of all of Birdie's ranges because you realize he's outpoking you, and then other times you are in on him doing stuff, but I don't see much of you moving back and forth trying to bait certain pokes out of him and then punishing.

You do some pokes that count as footsies, but you're not really PLAYING FOOTSIES. This is a kind of vague critique, but watch the video and note every time you jump for no real reason. Then note the time that Birdie chain grabs you out of the jump. That happened because you were getting so predictable with the jumps. It's like you are frustrated you are losing footsies, so you jump.

You also go for DP way too much.

Watch some videos of good Necali players in tournaments (there are quite a few now) and try to see how they are handling footsies specifically. What buttons are they using that you aren't? What range are they tending to stay at? What do you think Necali's optimal range is in the Birdie matchup when you're in the neutral game?

I appreciate this. Necalli's pokes aren't nearly as good as Birdie's so I try not to engage in a footsies war with him in general, hence me avoiding it entirely and either backing off or jumping after a poke or two. Maybe I shouldn't shy away from it so much, considering Birdie's one of my demons I really need to change something up. Counterpoking is something I need to work on in training mode I think.

Edit: That's gotta be Birdie's jump in thing where he lays down in mid-air, right? I'm not sure what button.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The Birdie lie down in midair move

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I mean, we've known the hitboxes are terribad for a while. The reason every character can anti-air with stand jab is because every jump-in looks like this:

Lol

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What are the grey boxes in dantarion's frame data?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

E: while I'm at it

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 4, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What are the grey boxes in dantarion's frame data?

Proximity block. Basically if the grey box overlaps your hurtbox and you're holding back/downback you will go into block animation (and in the case of back, be unable to walk backwards).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ahhh, cool.

Chun's hit box for her j.hp seem's not too terrible? Didn't realize it's hitbox extended past it's hurtbox during active frames, unlike her kicks. Her head stomp also has a hitbox outside of the hurtbox

http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_1/C91-8HP-0

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What's the teal colored box? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but I didn't see if on the site

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Jmcrofts posted:

comparing SF5 to SFA3 and SF4, as a defense of SF5. flipping the script

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
are those a3 hitboxes? I coulda sworn giefs body splash was way more insane in that game

or are anti airs just all garbage so the effect is the same

e: wait, is the blue box the collision box and not the hitbox?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 4, 2016

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Nope, you can jab AA in a3 too.

Body splash is just cool when you activate V-ism and use it to tick SPD

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

comparing SF5 to SFA3 and SF4, as a defense of SF5. flipping the script

Oh right, I forgot SF5 sucks, and so does 4 and 3 and alpha.

BTW I didn't realize this existed, but this site has hitbox data for 3s and it's pretty cool.

http://ensabahnur.free.fr/BastonNew/index.php

3s does the "vulnerable hitboxes stay extended after a move stops being active" thing a lot too:

frames 8-10:

frames 11-13:

E: btw

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 4, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

As does Guilty Gear

There's plenty of things to crap on SFV for but this is pretty standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009