Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Whats mindblowing to me is how they have no idea how to punish people disconnecting. 80-90% are the ones getting dealt with? So they need to use kid gloves because some people who disconnect 75% of the time may just have internet problems 20 out of 24 hours in a day? Haha, no other online game tolerates this kind of poo poo

From his statement it sounds like they can even tell at what point during the match the disconnects happen so I dunno why they couldn't at the very least punish anyone disconnecting at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
All fighting games made after World Warrior are total trash. Let me constantly tell you that 20 years after it came out regarding a game series I don't like

-all fighting game threads

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Brosnan posted:

Putting a Darkstalkers character in a Dimps Street Fighter game is like confining Superman to a wheelchair.

Too soon, man. Too soon.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm not convinced Ragequitter Hell ever actually existed in marvel 3. Capcom talked about it but there were never any posts online like "I keep getting matched up with the same ragequitters over and over!". Also there's no way of actually seeing if you're in ragequitter hell and there's no indication anywhere in-game of what your or anyone else's disconnect percent is. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a bluff.

the medal next to your name actually displays it- you get a skull medal if you ragequit enough

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fereydun posted:

the medal next to your name actually displays it- you get a skull medal if you ragequit enough

0_____0 hundreds of hours in that game and I never knew this

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

In addition to what I posted above, SF is a series that I have played on and off for a very long time, both casually and competitively, and I look forward to seeing how different aspects of the game develop. Sometimes, discussion on its development may involve insights into how bad the game is, because the last two decades of street fighter are dotted with terrible entries. For years now, discussion on the SF series has always had at least a partial focus on the depressing decline of the series. Even when it was the Capcom Japan developed games like SSF2, to Alpha and SFIII, a good deal of discussion was centered around how bad the games were. And now that the torch has been passed to the people behind the DBZ and Naruto fighting games, Dimps, with SF4 and SF5, the inevitable conclusion is that a healthy amount of discussion will surround how awful the series has become. This is tradition and I'm just keeping the fire burning.

Have you considered that instead of "every game since the one I liked is bad", the answer might be "people don't like it when the things they like change"?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's not the answer

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

0_____0 hundreds of hours in that game and I never knew this
you probably weren't dumb or insane enough to put in hundreds of hours into online with random garbage teams to ever notice the trend

you can actually tell someones disconnect rate by the color of their medal too- it goes gold for no disconnects ever, silver for people who have less than a certain number of games played or some disconnects and bronze for frequent disconnect

ragequitter hell is skull medal but its rare youll ever see it bc theyre in ragequitter hell + the criteria for getting it really high

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Please don't tell people to stop posting about a game they decided they hated long before it was playable.

To be fair it wasn't playable at launch, so...

(I'm mostly joking here, though it was true at launch. I almost said 'still not playable' for effect)

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I stopped using gief mk when I saw how long his hurtbox sticks out for (3 active frames and like 13 frames where his massive hurtbox sticks out).

https://a.pomf.cat/iwcoxl.webm

like seriously if youre looking at this picture and you have an opinion of the game based on it, you're taking this poo poo way t oseriously

i dont want to burst anyones bubble here, but youre not going to become a professional video gamer

sorry guys

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
zand really is putting too much effort into explaining in a reasonable manner his complaints and motivations to people who dont care or understand. just shitpost my dude

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Zand posted:

na im not really doing anything else its not too much effort, please don't worry about me. I wouldn't say that I don't really care.. I do care about fighting games in general, which is why I continue to follow this thread and game. the online infrastructure and pc support are two issues in this game that stand to influence future fighting games, because SF has long been a title that sets standards for the genre. so things like directinput support and dealing with ragequitters in ranked matchmaking are important issues that I like to keep up with. believe it or not, there may be more to discussing in the sf series beyond simple questions like "is the game good? do you like the game?"

In addition to what I posted above, SF is a series that I have played on and off for a very long time, both casually and competitively, and I look forward to seeing how different aspects of the game develop. Sometimes, discussion on its development may involve insights into how bad the game is, because the last two decades of street fighter are dotted with terrible entries. For years now, discussion on the SF series has always had at least a partial focus on the depressing decline of the series. Even when it was the Capcom Japan developed games like SSF2, to Alpha and SFIII, a good deal of discussion was centered around how bad the games were. And now that the torch has been passed to the people behind the DBZ and Naruto fighting games, Dimps, with SF4 and SF5, the inevitable conclusion is that a healthy amount of discussion will surround how awful the series has become. This is tradition and I'm just keeping the fire burning.
hahaha this is some top tier rationalization right here.

"no no, i am an integral part of the process when i am posting this garbage. it is tradition for people to call games objectively bad and mock people who enjoy them, including new players."

you want to post about the game being bad because it makes you feel special. it is completely masturbatory. criticizing stuff on the internet is the easiest, laziest, safest poo poo in the world. but no, i'm sure your constructive criticism certainly adds to the process. thank you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tabs, I put like a hundred+ hours into UMVC3 and even I didn't notice that. I just sort of assumed all the ragequitters disappeared because if the ragequit hell thing existed then I wouldn't be seeing them.

I had more trust for Capcom in 2012 than I realistically should have

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

zand really is putting too much effort into explaining in a reasonable manner his complaints and motivations to people who dont care or understand. just shitpost my dude
seriously, you guys are gonna poo poo and no one can stop you, just keep doing it. don't try to rationalize it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zand posted:

believe it or not, there may be more to discussing in the sf series beyond simple questions like "is the game good? do you like the game?"

Which is why you and a few others are discussing things that go beyond "this game is poo poo, look at this garbage here's a video or image with no text showing my disdain" right? Lmao.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Uhh, he said he's not really doing anything else. CAN'T YOU READ.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I feel like cams is projecting

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I feel like cams is projecting

He does that

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Zand is the worst character in the game

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

To be fair it wasn't playable at launch, so...

(I'm mostly joking here, though it was true at launch. I almost said 'still not playable' for effect)

That's a good point. But I'm counting stuff like when they had the demo at Evo, considering that's when I actually realized the game wasn't gonna be poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's when everyone turned the corner on the game in general and thought it would be good

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
It is good to know i can safely rage quit on 3/4 of my losses without possibly facing a penalty. Thanks for the hot tip, capcom.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Rahu posted:

It is good to know i can safely rage quit on 3/4 of my losses without possibly facing a penalty. Thanks for the hot tip, capcom.
actually they'll drastically bump down your lp.

when capcom said they were giong to go after ragequitters last weekend, i was sitting right at about 4000 lp, and was rank 1400 or something. after the cleansing, i had the same lp and was around rank 800. so i don't know the exact numbers, and unless a few hundred people all simultaneously lost a few games then stopped playing ranked, they actually did something.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

That's a good point. But I'm counting stuff like when they had the demo at Evo, considering that's when I actually realized the game wasn't gonna be poo poo.

For what it's worth, I don't feel the game is 'poo poo' and a total death of fighting games or anything (anything in SFV that hits that category pretty much was done in SFIV already) for example. But remember we're in a community where everyone uses the most hyperbolic terms. Non-MK players call every game after 2/3 (assuming they give those any respect) utter poo poo, even though I felt like MK9 was at least a legit *effort* by that team, and MK10 seemed like an improvement.

Some things SFV does are potentially incredibly impactful for the future of fighting games, so people with a vested/continued interest have a stake in it, whether or not they play it much. For example, pretty much all the major companies have been totally lax/lame about rollback netcode, doing half-assed jobs on rollback implementation makes people like me nervous because it has the potential to poison the well, to give people who don't understand the technical side of things to undertand why rollbacks are good - but also dependent on good execution.

I think there are some pretty legitimate criticisms of how the hitboxes int he game are, too, for example. One aspect of hitboxes is purely risk/reward (looking at hitbox vs hurtbox placement and timing) - these aren't the worst, but not all games take the path SFV does. Another is how reasonably those hitboxes match the actual animation, since 90% of the playerbase won't look at hitbox data. While pretty much EVERY fighting game has at least one hilarious/bad example of thies SFV is a pretty serious offender here, since everyone's hitboxes are so stubby compared to where their animations display. Obviously the animation work happened in a lot of situations and the hitboxes were later nerfed/pared back. (Or they are just bad)

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I bought an xbox 360 to play COD MW2 because it had gotten rave reviews and everyone was playing it, so i figured it must be good. Played maybe 3 weeks before discovering that it was a dogshit version of battlefield. Now I could spends hours and hours posting in the COD threads about how lovely the games they like are, but there no real point. If you like guilty gear so goddamn much, go play loving guilty gear instead of bitching about street fighter ad nauseum. I just want to read the thread to find info about the game and see how people are developing, not read an internet manchild slapfight that I am now a part of.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Yeah, Capcom hasn't got the slightest clue right now on how to design some decent matchmaking for SFV. It's kind of a bummer because it's obvious a lot of people *want* ranked to work but it's so badly designed that it's not going to be appealing for long in its current state.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Dracula Factory posted:

I bought an xbox 360 to play COD MW2 because it had gotten rave reviews and everyone was playing it, so i figured it must be good. Played maybe 3 weeks before discovering that it was a dogshit version of battlefield. Now I could spends hours and hours posting in the COD threads about how lovely the games they like are, but there no real point. If you like guilty gear so goddamn much, go play loving guilty gear instead of bitching about street fighter ad nauseum. I just want to read the thread to find info about the game and see how people are developing, not read an internet manchild slapfight that I am now a part of.

One thing someone like you might not realize is that the fighting game community has a LOT more cross-pollination across games than other genres. There's a reason things like EVO aren't dedicated to a single game.

Contrast that to something like a MOBA where most people play one and only one. A starcraft tournament is just that, not an RTS tournament, etc.

A lot of the people talking and posting in this thread - often critically - say such things becaus they are,in one way or another, passionate about such things. They want it to be better. No one benefits from a poor game being released. Most of the people talking the most poo poo about SFV could probably hand you your rear end in SFV, much less a game of their choosing.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dracula Factory posted:

I just want to read the thread to find info about the game and see how people are developing

Info: games broke, no patch yet
Developing: i learned how to beat survival by doing the same move over and over again, let me post a wall of text explaining

read more at eventhubs.com

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Zand posted:

Zand posted:

wait, do people that stand to gain nothing from playing this game (like cred, money, etc) actually enjoy it?

Zand posted:

people are actually playing this game. lmao

Zand posted:

drat its almost like sf5 being this way shouldn't have been a surprise. i mean, it sure caught ME by surprise

Yeah, thanks for your top tier analysis and on point discussions as to why this game is bad.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
The funny thing about all this bitching is that it's pretty resigned to this forum. There's obviously some critics, but the reception to the actual game part has been mostly good, even SRK seems overall positive about it. This thread reads like the fighting game equivalent of No Mutants Allowed sometimes.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I mean fallout 3 sucked rear end so im fine with that

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

InnercityGriot posted:

The funny thing about all this bitching is that it's pretty resigned to this forum. There's obviously some critics, but the reception to the actual game part has been mostly good, even SRK seems overall positive about it. This thread reads like the fighting game equivalent of No Mutants Allowed sometimes.

This is a somethingawful thing in general. Universally acclaimed, 96% on metacritic album To Pimp A Butterfly was declared unlistenable garbage by the fine goons on NMD.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Fayk posted:

A lot of the people talking and posting in this thread - often critically - say such things becaus they are, in one way or another, passionate about such things. They want it to be better. No one benefits from a poor game being released. Most of the people talking the most poo poo about SFV could probably hand you your rear end in SFV, much less a game of their choosing.
cool, except capcom isn't reading this forum and the vast majority of the people are just posting worthless pileons about the game being poo poo and them being right about it being poo poo.

i bolded the last part because who gives a poo poo? no one is denying that the goons who have built themselves a community around fighting games like them a lot. they don't like this game and they just want to keep posting about it cause it makes them feel special. again, no one is gonna stop em so keep it up, but stop trying to act like it's some great service we should all be thankful for.

cams fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 5, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

To Pimp A Butterfly was declared unlistenable garbage by the fine goons on NMD.

Hahaha

cams
Mar 28, 2003

apple posted:

Yeah, Capcom hasn't got the slightest clue right now on how to design some decent matchmaking for SFV. It's kind of a bummer because it's obvious a lot of people *want* ranked to work but it's so badly designed that it's not going to be appealing for long in its current state.
i am legit curious what your problems with it are. i think the point system does a good job into settling you into a rank you should be at. if your problem is that it doesn't actually reliably match you against players of your same skill level, that's valid, but it's not really what the system is trying to do outright.

i've started only looking for 5 bar matchups and matchmaking has been amazing for me for a while now. i get matched up with players with more points and players with less points, but the system accounts for that by incentivizing lower ranked players to beat higher ranked ones.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Names removed to protect the innocent

quote:

lol Kendrick's collection of unmastered outtakes are better than his album

quote:

literally every single kendrick release that isn't tpab is better than tpab, even the random mixtapes from before he blew

quote:

if theres one thing about tbap is that it definitely needed more songs so it could loving slog on even more

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I blame it on SA in general shrinking over time and getting more insular and weirder. Like I dare you to find a single thread in these forums where anime never comes up and is never mentioned, it's ridiculous

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

I blame it on SA in general shrinking over time and getting more insular and weirder. Like I dare you to find a single thread in these forums where anime never comes up and is never mentioned, it's ridiculous

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

Oh come on, comparing anything here to NMA is really uncalled for. Way to godwin things.

cams posted:

i am legit curious what your problems with it are. i think the point system does a good job into settling you into a rank you should be at. if your problem is that it doesn't actually reliably match you against players of your same skill level, that's valid, but it's not really what the system is trying to do outright.

i've started only looking for 5 bar matchups and matchmaking has been amazing for me for a while now. i get matched up with players with more points and players with less points, but the system accounts for that by incentivizing lower ranked players to beat higher ranked ones.

Establishing credentials. I don't mean they can ft5 you and you have to change your opinion if you lose.

That said, if we do that, the 'sfv bad' contingent might have a decent chance actually. KUMITEEEEEE

Fayk fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 5, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dracula Factory posted:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Lhet posted:

Things you need. 6-8 buttons for attacks (24mm or 30mm are fine), 4 for directions (probably want 30mm for thumb/jump, other directions can be either), 3 for start/select/PS (any random button is fine here). PCB (controller board, ideally with screwdown clamps if you don't know what you're doing). Thinnish Wire (so you don't end up dislodging even more things when you try to fix a button that broke). Box. Dremel (or drill, or even scissors if using a cardboard box, which isn't completely as bad as it sounds),
Make up a button layout and kinda draw outlines in sharpie. Drill/dremel holes till buttons fit. Put buttons in. Wire buttons to PCB. One of the button contacts for each button goes to the desired inut for that button on the PCB, the other wire you get to twist up with the other wires for all the other buttons, then attach those to the ground/GND slot. A button will not work if there isn't a direct metal line to the the destination, so if buttons stop working look at the connections. Connect USB cable in PCB.
Done!

(I could go into more detail if anybody is actually thinking about building one)

If you're serious about going into more details, then I'd totally appreciate just a list of poo poo I needed to go with http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=tek&tekid=1&tversion=official&item=120 to make my own, including what kind of specs I'd need for the case.

Ideally I'd like smaller buttons, but I'm not fussy.