Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GirlCalledBob posted:

Speaking of predictable, we all saw this obvious cliffhanger coming and yet I'm still disappointed, game. Really? You couldn't just let it go?

Honestly, they kind of had to have it happen given how Arkham City and HQR went, especially since Scarecrow is the main villain.

But we can discuss actual execution of his appearance as we go along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh, it's much worse than that.

We're about to start a twelve-hour-long "play as the Joker" segment, aren't we? Where Batman thinks he is the Joker and has all these violent urges to just shoot loving everyone.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

anilEhilated posted:

She has all her computers here.
You're telling me the Batfamily doesn't have enough money for a backup operations centre for Oracle, probably the lynchpin of his support staff?

Actually now I think about it, it seems like Oracle seems a lot younger than she was portayed in Asylum/City. She seems a lot closer to her appearance in Origins.

GirlCalledBob posted:

I genuinely thought she'd evacuated and that was why they show the little bit with her dad calling her, and then of course she's still in touch with Batman over Bat Hologram. So yeah, when I saw she was still in the city... I really, really saw this coming. It sucks that the game is being so predictable so far.

Speaking of predictable, we all saw this obvious cliffhanger coming and yet I'm still disappointed, game. Really? You couldn't just let it go?
This game is not doing wonders for her competence showing, is it?

I've got my fingers crossed Oracle will show up in a Bat-exoskeleton having smacked the poo poo out of the goons sent to grab her.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"Hey Bruce, since you have other batcaves , can I have a couple hundred mill-"

"No."
*Batclaws out window*

"You know me and Dick had to save our allowances for our gear?"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've got my fingers crossed Oracle will show up in a Bat-exoskeleton having smacked the poo poo out of the goons sent to grab her.

Oracle is the Arkham Knight, getting revenge on Batman for that time he installed Bonzi Buddy on her systems.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

You're telling me the Batfamily doesn't have enough money for a backup operations centre for Oracle, probably the lynchpin of his support staff?
It's pretty easy to come up with excuses for that one, he wants to have her within reach because he feels protective, she's in Gotham because of Gordon/Robin and so on and so on. There's a lot of bad decisions in this story but this one doesn't really stand out.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oracle is the Arkham Knight, getting revenge on Batman for that time he installed Bonzi Buddy on her systems.
He did so with best intentions, though: the world's greatest detective thought it'll get her around the SA paywall.
Plus we all know that most of his villains are goons at heart.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 4, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Despite being the World's Greatest Detective, Batman doesn't have a lot of book smarts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVRXMXfbDE0

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Honestly, they kind of had to have it happen given how Arkham City and HQR went, especially since Scarecrow is the main villain.

But we can discuss actual execution of his appearance as we go along.

I don't really hate the concept of the Joker showing up in a few fear gas sections or whatever, it just feels so obvious it's kind of coming off as lazy to me, really. It would have been much cooler to just do a Batman story where Joker doesn't come up, or at least hold off a little longer before pulling this. Build Scarecrow up as the real main player here, establish what other villains are doing to back him, have some more setup with what's going on with the Knight, and then maybe throw in a little Joker at a big act two climax to really mess with Batman's head. Especially coming off of Origins as well, where Joker got a stranglehold on the plot that really outstayed its welcome and shoved other characters and plotlines aside, this just feels way too early to be shoving him in again. I knew he was coming, but it happening so early is what I find disappointing.

You're right though, just because it's the obvious setup it doesn't make it terrible. Though I suspect the game may very well still manage to make it terrible, we shall have to see.

Though to be fair, the 'blast radius increased by one thousand percent' fear gas lead in was pretty subtle and clever, coming from this game. The long drawn out sequence where you're forced to go slow and Alfred is pleading for you to get out while sad music plays was a little forced though.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm going to just kind of hope against hope here that Barbara has NOT been kidnapped, but rather Scarecrow was taking advantage of the fear gas to gently caress with Batman by saying that someone will die.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am excited for the Spec Ops: The Line esque twist where it turns out Batman was dead the whole time and we've been playing as the Joker all along.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

'sup Joker fear gas hallucination, how is it going?

On one hand, I like this sequence, until now. Bat's worst fears? Barbara getting kidnapped and Alfred telling him to abandon Gotham and save his skin.

On the other hand, Bats fearing the Joker? Every single time he was exposed to the toxin in Asylum he fought it off, to the point Scarecrow was actually scared. Bats doesn't fear villains, that's like half the point of Batman.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh boy Joker's here! We're going this direction huh? Interesting. Well, can't wait till Talia shows up and forces him to confront how he failed to save her from his most well-known villain and how he should've been so much better than this.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
This game's animation is almost unnervingly smooth.

It makes watching Scruffy beat up thugs a delight though. :allears:

And now we have to worry about the Terrans from trying to kill batman.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Omobono posted:

On the other hand, Bats fearing the Joker? Every single time he was exposed to the toxin in Asylum he fought it off, to the point Scarecrow was actually scared. Bats doesn't fear villains, that's like half the point of Batman.

He doesn't fear the Joker, there's something... different going on. It requires you to accept one pretty dumb leap of scientific logic but as long as you're willing to do that we're getting one last good performance out of Hammil.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 5, 2016

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Kurieg posted:

He doesn't fear the Joker, there's something... different going on. It requires you to accept one pretty dumb leap of scientific logic but as long as you're willing to do that we're getting one last good performance out of Hammil.

It is worth noting, now that we've seen him, yes, Mark Hammil does voice the Joker in this as opposed to Origins' Troy Baker. While Baker did an excellent job at voicing him in Origins (we've all discussed the Joker problems that game had to death), Hammil is really the one and only. Personally, I like what they do with Joker in this one. It will be explained why, but he's handled much better than Origins Joker and in my opinion, better than Arkham City Joker.

Please note that the above opinions are coming from someone who hasn't played more than maybe a third of the game total.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Omobono posted:

'sup Joker fear gas hallucination, how is it going?

On one hand, I like this sequence, until now. Bat's worst fears? Barbara getting kidnapped and Alfred telling him to abandon Gotham and save his skin.
I... actually hadn't clicked on that being a fear of his. I really do hope that is what is going on.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Tilt the mouse to dodge Joker's shot.

citybeatnik posted:

I'm going to just kind of hope against hope here that Barbara has NOT been kidnapped, but rather Scarecrow was taking advantage of the fear gas to gently caress with Batman by saying that someone will die.

Or, Batman just blurted out something about Barbara Gordon while under the effects of the gas, which gives Scarecrow and Arkham Knight some new leverage they didn't actually have before.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

citybeatnik posted:

I... actually hadn't clicked on that being a fear of his. I really do hope that is what is going on.

Well, my head just exploded.

10/10, would scare crow again.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

IMJack posted:

Tilt the mouse to dodge Joker's shot.

He's playing on PS4, he has to use the middle stick.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gatac posted:

He's playing on PS4, he has to use the middle stick.

Press E to Takedown Joker.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Press E to Takedown Joker.

Beating the poo poo out of Joker in 1-on-1 fisticuffs in the Arkham City combo challenge map is probably one of my favorite parts of that game. He takes so many punches before he finally stays down, too!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Pretty sure if you turn on detective mode that's Clayface. Might be wrong though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Beating the poo poo out of Joker in 1-on-1 fisticuffs in the Arkham City combo challenge map is probably one of my favorite parts of that game. He takes so many punches before he finally stays down, too!

I will have a few words to say about this game later but I'm a big fan of all the work they put into the ragdolls so far. They're excellent. That and the fact that you can just keep beating up people while they're on the ground and knock them out that way. Also throwing people is finally back again!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Pretty sure if you turn on detective mode that's Clayface. Might be wrong though.

I have never turned on detective mode in that challenge arena just because I am so steadfast in the belief that my fists are going into the real Joker's smug face. He deserves a good whappin', dammit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lord_Magmar posted:

That one's the real deal, iirc. Checking now. Wiki sez it's the real guy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 5, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Discendo Vox posted:

That one's the real deal, iirc. Checking now. Wiki sez it's the real guy.

yesssssss

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Omobono posted:

Eh, I think the real Alfred would actually tell him to do that. Bruce is effectively his son.

And the wiki's wrong if it thinks the Joker in the funhouse fight is the real Joker. He's still sick at that point, that's Clayface and if you detective vision him, he's got no bones.

Edit - Oh wait, challenge map? Yeah I don't know, that could be whoever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fuiO-UuPRU

I was talking about this map. Incidentally this video is insane and you should watch some of it. Perhaps not all of it though, because he managed to extend the 3 minute timer over and over for 22 minutes.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I do appreciate that scarecrow is given his due in AK, at least. He's easily one of my favorite batman villains and he's shown to be very competent and dangerous almost immediately.

Except for the constant evil villain speeches but whatever

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Grapplejack posted:

I do appreciate that scarecrow is given his due in AK, at least. He's easily one of my favorite batman villains and he's shown to be very competent and dangerous almost immediately.

Except for the constant evil villain speeches but whatever

Scarecrow is pretty well-known for being a talker, though. Sort of comes with the territory of being an evil shrink.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Okay - just dropping Scarecrow on the ground and turning your back on him to check up on Barbara - that was stupid, Bats. You could've at least held him on the ground with your boot or something! :doh:

... Also, is it just me, or is the new cowl a liiitle bit too tight? Batman's face seem to bulge forward in rather uncomfortable way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Polaron posted:

Scarecrow is pretty well-known for being a talker, though. Sort of comes with the territory of being an evil shrink.

Scarecrow deconstructing Batman/other heroes with Evil Persuasive Shrink Talk is extremely my poo poo and I am really looking forward to this LP because this game has a goddamn lot of it.

edit: My favorite brand of "Evil Persuasive Shrink Talk" is the rarest kind where the villain's not just bullshitting, and when they say the thing the hero's like "no... it's not like that." but the look on their face belies that actually... it is like that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Scarecrow deconstructing Batman/other heroes with Evil Persuasive Shrink Talk is extremely my poo poo and I am really looking forward to this LP because this game has a goddamn lot of it.

edit: My favorite brand of "Evil Persuasive Shrink Talk" is the rarest kind where the villain's not just bullshitting, and when they say the thing the hero's like "no... it's not like that." but the look on their face belies that actually... it is like that.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMBwqtMht0

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just remember audibly groaning when I got to this point in the game. After 3 games, I'd just had enough of that guy. Hallucination or not.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Jeez, they're not kidding when they say Batman's writers make him too OP. Even when Batman loses, Batman STILL wins :cripes:...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fionordequester posted:

Jeez, they're not kidding when they say Batman's writers make him too OP. Even when Batman loses, Batman STILL wins :cripes:...

I know you say that as a joke, but Justice League Batman loses and still ends up winning there. :v:

Also, I can't believe Justice Lord Batman isn't a suit in any of these games!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Another Batman VS Batman clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z65aq1EVGhs

Also YES at Adam West suit in DCAU style. Also this game should have had a VS Dracula DLC.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My favorite batman vs batman w/batman bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I just remember audibly groaning when I got to this point in the game. After 3 games, I'd just had enough of that guy. Hallucination or not.
I thought so too, but this game actually mostly uses him pretty well (unlike Origins where he pretty much destroys the story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I thought so too, but this game actually mostly uses him pretty well (unlike Origins where he pretty much destroys the story).

I think that's because whoever wrote Origin's Joker fundamentally misunderstood the way the joker worked in The Dark Knight. Ledger's joker really didn't care about Batman specifically, he wanted to prove that everyone was scum, that deep down everyone was corruptable, and if he managed to bring Batman down to his level it would plunge Gotham into chaos. You got a sense that the Joker existed prior to Batman and would have gone on doing poo poo after him. But Origin's Joker seemed to congeal fully formed around one idea "I will get Batman to kill someone." and then forced the plot to also revolve around that point.

• Locked thread