Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

should we do another one then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Eh, I'm not so sure about that one. Without actually having access to the data, I think it's reasonable to imagine that the very top tier of players need to be matched up with people that they will beat 9/10 times in order to get matches at a decent clip. Without being matched up with the same single other top player who happened to be online.

Matchmaking may not be so hot but I wouldn't use that as criteria without more evidence

Ok, let me rephrase: the current legit platinums are great players, but they can be easily matched with other players that can bring that winrate down. You don't need to look at their matchmaking algorithm, just look at tournament results and which of those play online.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

yes

cams
Mar 28, 2003

unless you are where the majority of players settle, which will likely end up being super/ultra silver, there just aren't going to be enough people at your rank with a good connection to get matched up with them more often than not.

art losing 241 points to a bronze necalli on stream was pretty hilarious

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Eh, I'm not so sure about that one. Without actually having access to the data, I think it's reasonable to imagine that the very top tier of players need to be matched up with people that they will beat 9/10 times in order to get matches at a decent clip. Without being matched up with the same single other top player who happened to be online.

Matchmaking may not be so hot but I wouldn't use that as criteria without more evidence

It's a problem that every competitive game sees at the extreme ends of the ladder and it all boils down to the developer in question having to find the right balance between getting fair matches vs actually getting to play a match in a reasonable amount of time.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

how am i supposed to remain the eternal champ if you do

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Fereydun posted:

how am i supposed to remain the eternal champ if you do
scheduling it for when i'm at work would probably help.

i have no problem with the way ranked works. the guys at the top have insane winrates because they are that much better than most of the playerbase. if the good player wins, he barely gets any points while he risks a ton. i think they did a good job of creating a system that will accurately gauge a player's relative skill level after enough play.

they absolutely failed at making a system that knows how good you are and only matches you up against similar players. i also have no idea how they'd do this without large amounts of people just never finding a match.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

angel opportunity posted:

I'm still waiting to see if this game will be appealing to me. I'm just finding myself wanting to play Xrd at meetups and never drawn to playing this. Hoping some cool stuff will get discovered that kind of breaks the game :D

It would be really cool if fighting games in general could figure out online play. The matchmaking thing is a problem because in most genres of game your rank online actually does mean something, and the matchmaking helps you to get matched with people you should be playing against. In almost any fighting game, you are condemned to play against like 3-4 lovely/laggy people you'd rather not play at all before you get one match against someone good. Usually when that happens, you'd rather just add that player to your friends list and play long sets with him instead of trying to climb to a higher rank.

Even in "GOOD GAMES" like Xrd, the ranking system is totally worthless and no one uses it.

I had SF4 on PS3 and PC, which had worthless ranking systems. I had a perception that the Xbox Live ranked mode for SF4 may actually have been close to decent ranked play, but I'm guessing it really wasn't? I just tended to see top players with high ranks and get matched with other good players with somewhat high frequency.

I'm pretty sure the main problem with fighting game matchmaking is that it's hard to objectively (read: "for a program to") tell if someone is good at the game or bad. Your practical data points are basically who they beat, and who beat them. Which would be ok, except there are so many terrible players. There's an entire set of the fighting game community that will lose to stupid poo poo like "jumping HK, LK, shoryuken, repeat" every time and until you get to a certain level that will give you just as many points as beating someone who is actually average.
Other genres of game are either team-games, or the style of the game is such that the better player will win at a higher rate than in fighting games. In fighting games, if you treat a player like they're better than they are you can end up being blown up by stupid poo poo like start-of-round wakeup super. That is probably not a problem in something like Starcraft (disclaimer: I don't play RTS at all).

As a result, it's not surprising that the only useful information you can get from ranking points in fighting games is that someone in the upper echelon of points is probably actually good at the game. But even that's not a guarantee.

Having said all that, it's a little weird that the game doesn't seem to try harder to match you with people with similar league points, but SF4 had trouble with that as well.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I don't know what it is about Cammy but she can get me (as Ryu) into this unstoppable loop of chain kicks and I don't really know how to stop it from happening.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

dangerdoom volvo posted:

zand really is putting too much effort into explaining in a reasonable manner his complaints and motivations to people who dont care or understand. just shitpost my dude
you're probably right but the one guy asked me a question and the other one said he looked forward to my next post... id never let a fan down.

teagone posted:

Which is why you and a few others are discussing things that go beyond "this game is poo poo, look at this garbage here's a video or image with no text showing my disdain" right? Lmao.

cams posted:

thank you.
you're welcome

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Verisimilidude posted:

I don't know what it is about Cammy but she can get me (as Ryu) into this unstoppable loop of chain kicks and I don't really know how to stop it from happening.

Try your V Reversal. Press forward plus all three punch buttons at the same time while blocking. It uses one stock of your V Gauge.

You could also just shouryuken but that's really risky and dumb even if it is objectively the coolest response. Use the MP version because it has the most invincibility.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm playing Cammy right now

What are "chain kicks"-- if you can explain this I can help you

Also this game is fun in the worst kind of way right up until you fight a Dictator; at least Vanilla Sagat was fun to fight against in SF4.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Still can't join lounges at all, finding games every 15 minutes or so, and of the 3 ranked matches I won, 2 didn't give me points.

I haven't checked yet, but please don't tell me this game, on top of having a poo poo roster, terrible menus and appalling connectivity issues also has the same issue SF4 had at the beginning where you can just quit and gently caress the other guy. Please.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Kawabata posted:

Still can't join lounges at all, finding games every 15 minutes or so, and of the 3 ranked matches I won, 2 didn't give me points.

I haven't checked yet, but please don't tell me this game, on top of having a poo poo roster, terrible menus and appalling connectivity issues also has the same issue SF4 had at the beginning where you can just quit and gently caress the other guy. Please.

Just add the guy as a friend then set up a private party, next step begin share play go into v.s mode and let him play as player two. You have now successfully joined a lounge!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Kawabata posted:

Buddy I got bad news for ya

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

shmicrowalk

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

inthesto posted:

Completing story mode with every character is 160k, then easy survival is another 160k, and then normal survival is yet another 160k

Sure, normal survival is a bit more tedious, but the game gives us 480k of points, which is nearly 5 characters, for free

Completing all single player content available right now nets you 1,084,000 FM by itself. (Story+ALL survival) Good luck with that though.

AFAIK the only way you can tell if someone did it is if they are at least level 464, because every character will be level 29 by that point.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Kawabata posted:

I won 10 games tonight on ranked and lost 3 guess how many points I got.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Booyah- posted:

shmicrowalk

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
There's a Korean tournament going on right now on twitch. As usual the commentators are amazing.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Doing a different kind of video today - I downloaded a Daigo replay and did kind of a play-by-play to break down what's going on. Pls let me know if you think it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcjRfo85agE

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!
Is there a way to tell if someone is online in the game? I have no idea if I just missed something or you need to coordinate outside the cfn to set-up fights with your friends on different hardware.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I may be dropping all of my hit confirms because I forget to consider that I might actually hit and my play is full of terrible, gaping holes but I'm having fun. The 25 hours I've put into this comprise 90% of my fighting game experience in the last 15 years, but I won 13 of my 17 games tonight and I feel like I sort of "get" what I'm doing.

I'm also really glad cross-play is a thing, because 95+% of my opponents are on PS4 and I get to play on PC without online being a ghost town.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

Doing a different kind of video today - I downloaded a Daigo replay and did kind of a play-by-play to break down what's going on. Pls let me know if you think it works

Yeah I clicked the link and the video started playing.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Puzzle Thing posted:

Is there a way to tell if someone is online in the game? I have no idea if I just missed something or you need to coordinate outside the cfn to set-up fights with your friends on different hardware.

Every name you've added to your cfn should be on your favorites list from which you can see what game mode someone is currently in.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

OxMan posted:

Every name you've added to your cfn should be on your favorites list from which you can see what game mode someone is currently in.

it doesnt show if people are offline tho

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it apparently still says i'm in a ranked match, but i haven't played in a week.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcjRfo85agE

Please do more of these! That was really interesting and fun to watch. You took a nice high-level, strategic perspective on the match that I don't usually think too much about. I'd also love to see a similar treatment of the more low-level tactics happening at each moment; watching your analysis made me all the more curious about all the other small decisions the two players were making throughout the match.

Thanks for the great content!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Pomp posted:

it apparently still says i'm in a ranked match, but i haven't played in a week.

Ah poo poo i thought that stuff was accurate. Welp, sorry Booyah no idea then.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

look nobody could pull off a crouching jab in a real match, get real

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

More of yall should get on that discord thing, it is fun to play and match with goons :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Evil Canadian posted:

More of yall should get on that discord thing, it is fun to play and match with goons :)

Where can I get details of this discord thing I would like to play and match with goons :)

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Help Im Alive posted:

I think they said one character per month but I might be making that up

Also there's not really anything to base this on but you could maybe assume the characters are coming in the order in this picture

That'd really be the sour grapes for me then :(

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

signalnoise posted:

Where can I get details of this discord thing I would like to play and match with goons :)

Link is in the names thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765001 :)

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

That'd really be the sour grapes for me then :(

At least we get Alex first!

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Its really easy to do normal and easy survival modes so im unlocking everyones generic colors.

Sadly you don't get any fight money for going through for alternate costumes or anything at all sides colors :saddowns:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkWU-WDbXKk

This is probably a really really silly thing to be asking, but this video basically shows the issue I'm having with normal attacks that combo off each other. Any advice from the thread would be great. (If the answer is just practice them a tonne then that's fair)

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Double tap the second button and it's much easier, medium to medium link is basically the same with every character so it's not really bison specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is probably a really really silly thing to be asking, but this video basically shows the issue I'm having with normal attacks that combo off each other. Any advice from the thread would be great. (If the answer is just practice them a tonne then that's fair)
You say your timing is the same each time, but it clearly isn't as it isn't comboing every time. Look for visual/sound cues to help your timing and keep doing it over and over. From the video, it looks like you're pressing cr.MP too slowly most of the time. Don't mash the button - if the cr.MP doesn't come out you were too fast. If it comes out but doesn't combo you were too slow.