Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

oh dear, that filename says so much

sad loving thing is this is something tons of old PHP stuff did. I think even phpBB had a functions.php. PHP is a garbage language that produces garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ZDR was there ever a point when you were first put in charge of the forums that you considered just walling off all the old poo poo, calling it archives, and starting fresh? Just import the user database and start the gently caress over without stolen trees and HAMPRINCES?

Like the sheer amount of poo poo Radium must have left behind sounds.. yeah.
No documentation what-so-ever? You poor poor man.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

well dammit why not, it seems just the dumb weird side project radium would do while not working on search :mad:

I thought those were just joke avatars

also radium's coding style sounds like something I'd do because I've never coded before and would definitely do something as obtuse and dumb like that.

Edit: it really sounds like radium was either crazy or clueless and scrambling to hide it or both. I'm amazed the site's survived tbh

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Cowman posted:

I thought those were just joke avatars

also radium's coding style sounds like something I'd do because I've never coded before and would definitely do something as obtuse and dumb like that.

Edit: it really sounds like radium was either crazy or clueless and scrambling to hide it or both. I'm amazed the site's survived tbh

Yeah while I'm not saying it can't be for malicious reasons, but if he is a copy coder/someone who doesn't like looking up functions or tutorials this is the kind of code you get. The joke errors are added because you're slowly going insane by your own code (and you honestly don't know what to call the errors because you don't look poo poo up).

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Lowtax posted:

hehehe going through my old chatlogs on AIM:

Sounds like he was really unprofessional. But then again he was some kid who barely knew what a logical AND was. I think there's some blame to go around on both sides.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Gazpacho posted:

or just use rails imo

Why didn't you use MongoDB? MongoDB is a web scale database, and doesn't use SQL or JOINs, so it's high-performance.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

probably because it was 15 loving years ago you genius

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
more like ZomboDB

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

honestly, the elevator reviewer is the most hosed up thing about this thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish ZDR luck in their endeavors. I do not envy them in the slightest.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Broken Machine posted:

Here's another radium debug sample that came up a while ago on YOSPOS:

You would have to be mean and probably fairly unstable to leave someone an application written like that

seem like fairly straightforward error messages, what's the problem?

hopefully someone finds those trees though

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
also zdr twitter and webm integration have vastly improved my forums posting experience thank you for your work

i've never thanked a forums coder before

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Concerned Citizen posted:

also zdr twitter and webm integration have vastly improved my forums posting experience thank you for your work

Thank ZDR every miserable minute of your loving worthless life

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

im genuinely surprised how nice the twitter integration works. its got all the lil buttons

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

im genuinely surprised how nice the twitter integration works. its got all the lil buttons

must be nice

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gnarlyhotep posted:

Thank ZDR every miserable minute of your loving worthless life

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya seriously how the gently caress do you do that leet rear end twitter embed

on my poo poo (poo poo) (poo poo) web stuff my twitter embeds broke 100%

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

yeah i mean frankly i became adjusted to things on the forum randomly blowing up half the time i pressed a button, now that things actually work i find myself making a tiny 'woot' sound on every thread reply

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
oh sorry, a bug in the server code caused someone to receive a private message 1 character too long. this caused the entire database to become corrupted. we're loading from backup, see you in 24 hours

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

hopefully someone finds those trees though
maybe it's better if they don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgfGf2yYseE&t=39s

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
hopefully when lowtax launches the eventual forums kickstarter, it includes a stretch goal of finally determining what the debug messages mean

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

probably because it was 15 loving years ago you genius

But shards something something web scale!

no I don't even care what a shard is

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

hopefully when lowtax launches the eventual forums kickstarter, it includes a stretch goal of finally determining what the debug messages mean

Donate $50, an error message "<your name here> is gay" will be created in your name.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Buttcoin purse posted:

But shards something something web scale!

no I don't even care what a shard is

Shard is lingo for crystal methamphetamine

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

zen death robot posted:

Yeah honestly I spent a weekend considering it, going over the code and looking at the db schema and I still kinda wonder if it's just not better to use the DB as a framework to hang a whole new thing off of but hoooly poo poo that's what drove radium off the deep end I think so I'm kind of avoiding thinking about that right now. I think scrapping it all is probably too drastic, even if there's a part of me and everyone else who has ever stared into the abyss who has been tempted to think that's the way to go. Rewriting it in chunks seems like a more workable way to go since at least you can set a realistic goal and accomplish it instead of having this seemingly impossible to reach goal of doing everything in one shot.

I've been in exactly your situation and you're on the right track. I tried to spend a quarter of my time rewriting the beast from scratch, piece by piece. One day I realized I had this 90% finished parallel version of the software that was way better and spent all my time from that point forward moving everything over to it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lowtax posted:

hehehe going through my old chatlogs on AIM:

sever

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
wy is this thread 14 pages

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Zzulu posted:

wy is this thread 14 pages

when we reach page 100, titan will be deployed.

it is written.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Isaac posted:

Shard is lingo for crystal methamphetamine

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's nice to be able to like and retweet something on the site instead of searching for a tweet from a screenshot.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I would try to pull some stuff from awful.app personally

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
So since Team Barry is lying dead and on fire in an ugly piss ditch somewhere, what is the new team called?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh hey archive.org grabbed a lot of Team Barry poo poo.

ZDR I found your documentation mate, no worries

Don't know where the trees are tho

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

:eyepop: Are the forums currently using all of that equipment? I mean actually using it? Or is it like my work where some systems are being totally thrashed and other systems have more than 100x more RAM than my home PCs put together but are doing very little work on the odd occasion they're not completely idle?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's from 2006 and likely a virtualised environment.

The MX servers on top are the physical servers
Underneath that you have poo poo like network attached storage for the databases, backup drives/servers, etc.
Underneath that you have virtualised servers running the forums.

Catalyst are your switches for cabling.
Alteon are the gateways/firewalls

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The forums are in TEH CLOD now, so that's like having Super Virtual servers!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is SA still running on hardware named after Aqua Teen characters because I think I am OK with that.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Is SA still running on hardware named after Aqua Teen characters because I think I am OK with that.

It's the other way around actually.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Barris posted:

It's the other way around actually.

Even better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I read through this thread and my main question for Lowtax was this:

In all those years of being a guy running a small business who never wanted or felt comfortable dealing with that stuff, did you not at least find a person to talk to for some basic sanity checks? Like, you don't need a expert in web coding to tell you that the guy who you're paying a salary to accomplish nothing is probably a waste of money.

then I realized that person was probably shmorky

• Locked thread