Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Is SA still running on hardware named after Aqua Teen characters because I think I am OK with that.

It's the other way around actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Barris posted:

It's the other way around actually.

Even better?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I read through this thread and my main question for Lowtax was this:

In all those years of being a guy running a small business who never wanted or felt comfortable dealing with that stuff, did you not at least find a person to talk to for some basic sanity checks? Like, you don't need a expert in web coding to tell you that the guy who you're paying a salary to accomplish nothing is probably a waste of money.

then I realized that person was probably shmorky

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

CharlesM posted:

43rd birthday celebratory elevator ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdGzDwcWUOI
lol

:smug: *Holds door* hear you go
:) Thanks
:smug: No problem

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
King Reol's life is sad and we should leave him alone probably.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Infinitum posted:

That's from 2006 and likely a virtualised environment.

The MX servers on top are the physical servers
Underneath that you have poo poo like network attached storage for the databases, backup drives/servers, etc.
Underneath that you have virtualised servers running the forums.

Catalyst are your switches for cabling.
Alteon are the gateways/firewalls

Looks like there were 5 physical application servers.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

stinch posted:

Looks like there were 5 physical application servers.

Those Poweredge servers are loud as gently caress and put out a lot of heat. Was radium hosting this poo poo out of his house?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

zen death robot posted:

Everything regarding "backups" was a lie and it was just basically a few things getting synched over to a bit of free space on db3 that never would have done anyone any good.

That is fan-loving-tastic.

Was there a proper backup solution in place, or was it a custom script job?
I already know you're gonna laugh in my face if I were to mention poo poo like incremental weekly/monthly/yearly backups of the servers, and off-site backups.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 5, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Can't be a real diagram, db2 the database server with no database on it is nowhere to be seen.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The best of cargo cult devops.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

zen death robot posted:

It was a cronjob that just kicked off rsync

Perfect.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
These logs explain so much. It's like a visit to the sausage factory :stare:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Lowtax: You backed up the forum right?
Radium: Yeah there's a "backup" don't worry.
Lowtax: Why did you put backup in quotes?
Radium: You're asking a lot of pointed questions. You must be in one of your moods again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

To the best of your knowledge did Radium ever do regular/semi-regular offsite backups?

I know when Hurricane Katrina hit someone, pretty sure it was Lowtax from memory, had to go to the datacentre in New Orleans to physically retrieve the servers to move them elsewhere.
Had the storm hit the datacentre and wiped out all the hardware.. yeah.. Bye bye forums.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

To the best of your knowledge did Radium ever do regular/semi-regular offsite backups?

I know when Hurricane Katrina hit someone, pretty sure it was Lowtax from memory, had to go to the datacentre in New Orleans to physically retrieve the servers to move them elsewhere.
Had the storm hit the datacentre and wiped out all the hardware.. yeah.. Bye bye forums.

Are the servers protected against an FBI raid?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Schweinhund posted:

Lowtax: You backed up the forum right?
Radium: Yeah there's a "backup" don't worry.
Lowtax: Why did you put backup in quotes?
Radium: You're asking a lot of pointed questions. You must be in one of your moods again.

lol

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

gnarlyhotep posted:

Thank ZDR every miserable minute of your loving worthless life

lmao

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Here have an actually interesting elevator video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzrJjdZDRQ

This is a legit good elevator video.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Bible posted:

Those Poweredge servers are loud as gently caress and put out a lot of heat. Was radium hosting this poo poo out of his house?

At least around '05 it was in a datacenter in downtown New Oreleans because Katrina broke the forums for months.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Infinitum posted:

I think that was actually the datacenter employees, bless their hearts

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Is the whole paid account thing tied into the forum in such a way that if you wanted to 'start fresh' you'd have to manually create all accounts on the new system to avoid us having to pay tenbux again? I feel like you could scrap everythingn here, make all the current threads 'the archives' and go from brand new, most people would understand.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jesus, this guy sounds like a slightly older ulillillia.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

It was a cronjob that just kicked off rsync

Ah, the ol' cronjob conjob.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Does lowtax sign your checks as "Lowtax", or "Richard Kyanka", or some sort of functional hybrid?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Wedemeyer posted:

Yeah, I'm going to every church in my city and lighting a candle for you. Good lord this poo poo is hosed hahaha.

http://www.scborromeo.org/saints/isidores.htm

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Does lowtax sign your checks as "Lowtax", or "Richard Kyanka", or some sort of functional hybrid?

He has Leonard J. Crabs Esq. do it for him

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

zen death robot posted:

Yeah honestly I spent a weekend considering it, going over the code and looking at the db schema and I still kinda wonder if it's just not better to use the DB as a framework to hang a whole new thing off of but hoooly poo poo that's what drove radium off the deep end I think so I'm kind of avoiding thinking about that right now. I think scrapping it all is probably too drastic, even if there's a part of me and everyone else who has ever stared into the abyss who has been tempted to think that's the way to go. Rewriting it in chunks seems like a more workable way to go since at least you can set a realistic goal and accomplish it instead of having this seemingly impossible to reach goal of doing everything in one shot.
I had some plans back when I started about coming up with a modular, unit testable library from scratch that would talk to the existing database schema and provide a sensible API for interacting with the forums. Then you could replace the forums page by page. One week, showthread.php gets the overhaul treatment and gets completely internally replaced by the new code, and ideally, nobody notices. Next week, forumdisplay.php. Then after awhile all the old code is gone, and new features can actually start happening without worrying about what radium logic bomb is going to go off this time. I think this might have been the general thrust behind Titan, except that was a half-finished Perl module that he only used in his internal scripts and the search engine. I found several different copies of Titan strewn about so my guess is he just copied it into whichever project needed to access the forums DB at the time.

It would, of course, be a very large project. The main things preventing me from working on it at the time were A) my masters thesis deadline looming, and B) the realization that everything was completely hosed kind of dampening my vigor for large engineering tasks. Maybe if it was an open source project it would attract enough talent that it could get off the ground. Enough people maintain apps and extensions just for SA, after all. I'd certainly try to contribute to it.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Bitter Mushroom posted:

i don't understand 90 percent of this thread, and im glad of it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Volte posted:

Maybe if it was an open source project it would attract enough talent that it could get off the ground. Enough people maintain apps and extensions just for SA, after all. I'd certainly try to contribute to it.

Some of us have been saying this for years.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ill make the website

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Some of us have been saying this for years.

I suspect one barrier to this is that it may well be completely full of holes that would be exploited immediately. The radiumcode does not fill me with confidence. Auditing it before opening it up may be more work than just starting again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Volte posted:

I think this might have been the general thrust behind Titan

Here's Titans 'roadmap' from Team Barry

quote:

I’m currently finishing milestone 0.5. I use Trac as a roadmap and for bug tracking. To give you an idea of where I’m at, here’s the current roadmap:

0.1) Base classes. Controller libs, base model classes (tie in DBI, Cache::Memcached, etc), logging class, app configuration syntax.
0.2) Template system. TT classes, XS stash, tie TT to application constant class, write misc. view classes, establish template conventions (XHTML/CSS).
0.3) Forms and error handling. Profile-based form validator, form data authentication and persistence, exception handler base classes to replace lovely Catalyst error system
0.35) Users and sessions. Base user model, authentication, “secure cookies”, login/logout, session handler, password reset, mail auth hash handler.
0.4) Admin control panel framework.. User management, base event log classes, user login log, start javascript/AJAX UI libs, start titan dojo widget package.
0.5) Purchase system framework. Purchase controller superclass (framework for “purchase phase” actions), credit system, gift certificate rework, account status page, stub controller class for empty “checkout”.
0.6) Purchaseable features implementation. Implement individual features that can be purchased, along with the associated UI work: registration, name change, title change (self, other), archives, no-ads, platinum, emoticons, sticky threads, banner ads, gift certificates.
0.65) Admin queue for purchaseables. Approve purchase requests for forum features.
0.7) Subscription system. Awfulnet. Other surprises!
0.8) New user profiles, options, ignore list, purchase system integration. Replace old user profile page, new options interface, new ignore list structure/interface. Get rid of buddy lists or improve them?
0.9) New private message system. Duplicate existing functionality but introduce new interface. More “email-like”, less clunky, better notifications (get rid of javascript dialogue). Real folders. Optional AJAX.

The best bit?

quote:

:siren: The initial launch could be any time now :siren:
This post was made mid 2006 :v:

Any day now Richard.
Any day now!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TTerrible posted:

I suspect one barrier to this is that it may well be completely full of holes that would be exploited immediately. The radiumcode does not fill me with confidence. Auditing it before opening it up may be more work than just starting again.
I agree. Some people would need access to the code but in general all we'd really need to release is the database schema, and the project mandate becomes "Make a back-end library to talk to this schema". That part would happen from scratch and we could use unit and integration tests to put it through its paces. The forum itself being changed would come later, once the library is stable enough to support it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Infinitum posted:

Here's Titans 'roadmap' from Team Barry
Now that's interesting. It goes to show radium's lack of intuition when it comes to abstraction. The first thing he did was make a "base model class" tied into Cache::Memcached? It's only 0.1 and we're already off to a terrible start.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Volte posted:

I agree. Some people would need access to the code but in general all we'd really need to release is the database schema, and the project mandate becomes "Make a back-end library to talk to this schema". That part would happen from scratch and we could use unit and integration tests to put it through its paces. The forum itself being changed would come later, once the library is stable enough to support it.

how droll :rolleyes:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's probably from watching the forums coding saga that i slowly gained awareness of PHP's existence, and really the fact that it would drive someone to Perl in frustration is all you need to know

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

it's probably from watching the forums coding saga that i slowly gained awareness of PHP's existence, and really the fact that it would drive someone to Perl in frustration is all you need to know

It's a good thing we have PHP7 and PERl6 now. Make the forums great again.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Did he basically leave a bunch of unrolled toilet paper all over the forums when he left

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zzulu posted:

wy is this thread 14 pages

goons love talking about our dead gay forum :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Reading those chatlogs, I get the distinct feeling that all the screaming at and making GBS threads all over Radium has been expertly censored. "Richard, I'm almost done" "NOT GOOD ENOUGH! START AGAIN!"

What are you hiding Richard.

• Locked thread