Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mr Fixit posted:

I like the current balance of anti airs vs jump ins. They took away the universal options of invincible back dash, and focus attacks. So now you are forced to anti air or eat the pressure. The light button anti airs do very little damage, and reverse the pressure. That's a fair price to pay for the big fat jump in combo your opponent was attempting.

When "press jab butan" always works it feels dumb. Necalli's seems like a mistake but Chun and Sim's were clearly designed to have anti-air frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Yo any tips on getting in on Fang with Zangief? Hardly anyone plays him so it doesn't come often but he puts me on tilt bad. I can only poke him with dash st. hp or st. mk between his medium/light projectile spam which i can't do anything after at which point the spam begins again.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Jmcrofts posted:

Worked pretty well in 3s

you mean the game that killed street fighter for nearly a decade

beyond that though what reason did anyone have to expect that this game would be sf3: we removed all the good parts edition instead of another game like sf4

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Big ol babies

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

you mean the game that killed street fighter for nearly a decade

Right, this wasn't because of the death of arcades or the lack of a good console port or the removal of everyone's favorite characters from 2, nah it was the Jab anti airs

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jmcrofts posted:

Right, this wasn't because of the death of arcades or the lack of a good console port or the removal of everyone's favorite characters from 2, nah it was the Jab anti airs

What's an arcade

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Jab anti-airs were "good" in 3s for entirely different reasons and trying to imply it's because jumpins had terrible hitboxes or the jabs themselves had good anti-air hitboxes is disingenuous as hell. Makoto has the best standing jab anti-air and the hitbox is barely above the hurtbox in her hand, and way below her head. Jumpins also had hitboxes that extended outward or below their hurtboxes and there wasn't a giant horizontal hurtbox slapped onto the bottom third of every jump attack just for the gently caress of it.

ZenVulgarity posted:

What's an arcade

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Jab anti-airs were "good" in 3s for entirely different reasons and trying to imply it's because jumpins had terrible hitboxes or the jabs themselves had good anti-air hitboxes is disingenuous as hell. Makoto has the best standing jab anti-air and the hitbox is barely above the hurtbox in her hand, and way below her head. Jumpins also had hitboxes that extended outward or below their hurtboxes and there wasn't a giant horizontal hurtbox slapped onto the bottom third of every jump attack just for the gently caress of it.

Regardless of the reason, my point is that "jabs shouldn't work as an anti air" is a nonsense statement that doesn't take into account the entire context of the game.

What exactly is the problem created by jabs anti airing in this game? You wish jumpins were harder to deal with? You feel jabs are overpowered?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I mean if you don't see whats boring about the majority of characters having braindead anti-airs and the dynamic of low risk jumpins that are also really bad.

I'd prefer they buff jumpins and make anti-airs more situational (this could mainly be fixed by removing the giant hurtboxes from jumpins) but increasing the reward. Crush counters seem tailor made for it but they realized that with how terrible jumpins are, consistent crush counter anti-airs into a combo would be too good. The only character that really kept it was Dhalsim and its on an extremely situational button that you have to react with early and it's cool and good which is a rarity in this game.

You could of course have "reliable" anti-air buttons that don't crush counter as well! You know, variety.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I mean if you don't see whats boring about the majority of characters having braindead anti-airs and the dynamic of low risk jumpins that are also really bad.

I'd prefer they buff jumpins and make anti-airs more situational (this could mainly be fixed by removing the giant hurtboxes from jumpins) but increasing the reward. Crush counters seem tailor made for it but they realized that with how terrible jumpins are, consistent crush counter anti-airs into a combo would be too good. The only character that really kept it was Dhalsim and its on an extremely situational button that you have to react with early and it's cool and good which is a rarity in this game.

You could of course have "reliable" anti-air buttons that don't crush counter as well! You know, variety.

Reading this reminds me that, in the Zangief trailer, they showed Gief's crouching hard punch crush countering Bison into an ex air SPD. I was sad that at release, this was no longer a thing I could do. :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is there any reason not to buffer 23232323 when waiting for a jump in with ryu? My reaction srk ability is dog crap but i nail them every time when im waggling the stick in advance and the opponent thinks im crouch blocking

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Real hurthling! posted:

Is there any reason not to buffer 23232323 when waiting for a jump in with ryu? My reaction srk ability is dog crap but i nail them every time when im waggling the stick in advance and the opponent thinks im crouch blocking

Characters with decent pokes (Chun especially) are going to destroy you just by pressing buttons from their jump-in range.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bummer

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Revelant posted:

Here a question.

My region is pretty much isolated from the world being Southern Africa. So I never get matchups with overseas regions which is fine because it would be a laggy mess.
However I have pretty much added most of this regions players to my favourites (80+ players , some active and some not too much ) so we can game, and I can see what they are doing. edit: god the favorite section sucks

Now when I play ranked all I seem to get is the same 3 players all the time. But when I look in my favourites I see that other players I have never played are also playing ranked. Yet I never get games with them.

If its a connection issue with all these players that would make sense , however I doubt so many people in my region have a bad connection when alot of them I play CS with.

Now since my region doesn't have many players, matched with me, I have only managed to get to 1900LP. Does having this ranking limit me from players who are lower ( I say lower because I have yet to fight anyone in my region with a higher rating than me ).

I have opened all my ports for the game and for steam. I have had games against PC and PS4. So its not that.

Anyone else having issues like this?
Seems like I am missing a whole bunch of opponents in ranked.

Edit: The last opponent I fought 18 times in a row, over 2 days.

The same thing is happening to me and my region isn't isolated at all, it's in the middle of loving Europe. I have a couple of friends with the same problem too. In my case I play with the same 3 guys (who I beat every time, and they disconnect on purpose every time) whenever I look for an opponent, can't ever connect to lounges, no one can ever connect to mine.

It doesn't depend on the region, and it certainly doesn't depend on my NAT configuration since I've never had any issue in other peer to peer games/programs. I suppose Capcom hosed something up and now some NAT users just can't play SFV.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 5, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing to me that a month ago people were saying poo poo like this:

Pomp posted:

The dps also do piss damage when used as an antiair, half the anti-air normals are loving awful at their job, and the reward for doing either successfully is so low that there's almost no reason to not do random jump ins.

But all of a sudden the threat of a jab is so much that there's no reason to ever jump.

For a ton of characters, jab isn't even close to their best anti-air either.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

If you love this game so much I figure you could make an actual argument instead of just being disingenuous as gently caress, quoting people who aren't me, and just straight making poo poo up.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If you love this game so much I figure you could make an actual argument instead of just being disingenuous as gently caress, quoting people who aren't me, and just straight making poo poo up.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Like do I really give a poo poo what Pomp says or said at one point, what the gently caress does that have to do with what I'm saying now and what is easily observable.

Maybe you can try to understand what I'm saying instead of arguing against points other people made or things you just made up on the spot.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm Bebop

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Like do I really give a poo poo what Pomp says or said at one point, what the gently caress does that have to do with what I'm saying now and what is easily observable.

Maybe you can try to understand what I'm saying instead of arguing against points other people made or things you just made up on the spot.

What exactly have I made up?

I'm not sure it's worth arguing anymore since it's clear there's a large contingent in this thread who will happily glom onto any aspect of SF5 that's different from the previous games and insist that it's yet another piece of evidence the game is garbage, completely ignoring the context of V's mechanics.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wish i could beat people higher ranked than me in ranked like i do in casual all the time.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I dont see the problem honestly, New Generation was critically panned and no one wanted to play it over MK/vs/alpha/SF2 arcades. A large part of love for SF2 (at least in the casual fanbase) was rooted in refusal to switch to SF3. By the time 3S came out, arcades were all but dead in the mainstream eye. At least that's how I remember it.

Just need to wait for the Alex update to see what we're in for in the long run as far as "finishing the game over the next few years" goes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8vXYf8PYgc&t=53s

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Real hurthling! posted:

I wish i could beat people higher ranked than me in ranked like i do in casual all the time.

Not to rain on your parade, but those people are probably learning new characters and aren't using their main.

Also, this thread is a fuckin' garbage fire. Good job, idiots.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sarchasm posted:

Not to rain on your parade, but those people are probably learning new characters and aren't using their main.

Nah theyre all lvl 15-20 with the char

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Sarchasm posted:

but you're also contributing to the garbage fire with posts like these though

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

General Morden posted:

Why should everyone else have all the fun?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

By the time 3S came out, arcades were all but dead in the mainstream eye. At least that's how I remember it.

I never really understood this excuse for why sf3 didn't take off because sure arcades were toast in america but like, they weren't in asia right? What was stopping capcom from just thinking americans don't like street fighter anymore and releasing capcom fighting jam or w/e as japan only

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

Why should everyone else have all the fun?

i mean if you're going to complain about the thread being poo poo and then actively contributing to it being poo poo then you probably shouldn't be complaining

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

General Morden posted:

i mean if you're going to complain about the thread being poo poo and then actively contributing to it being poo poo then you probably shouldn't be complaining

I just want to see this thread turn into a compelling and competitive experience one day.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

I never really understood this excuse for why sf3 didn't take off because sure arcades were toast in america but like, they weren't in asia right? What was stopping capcom from just thinking americans don't like street fighter anymore and releasing capcom fighting jam or w/e as japan only

sf3 died in asia because that game loving sucks. it didnt get popular until the series was over and dead for years.

edit: to extrapolate on this, nobody would pay a quarter to play these games and CPS3 boards cost a lot of quarters

Zand fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 5, 2016

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
SF3 was popular in America because it had cool characters like Q and Sean.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If this game makes you so angry then perhaps it's Not For You.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

noted funk machine Q

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

lmao

General Morden posted:

Dumpster fires tend to attract idiots, so whatever... I guess. We're all idiots is what I'm saying.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 5, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Zand posted:

sf3 died in asia because that game loving sucks. it didnt get popular until the series was over and dead for years.

why are there still tourneys for it then, do they see it under the same ironic mindset they do hokuto no ken

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like to play Street Fighter 5

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

people i could play with online in sf4, i can no longer do so in sf5

great netcode capcom

#riseup

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

I like to play Street Fighter 5

can you give me some tips on how to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

btw when do we get to the point of this thread where people start making unfavorable comparisons with strekken 2013