Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is there a new Daredevil Season 2 thread? I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BiggerBoat posted:

Is there a new Daredevil Season 2 thread? I can't find it.
Nah I think the Netflix Marvel thread is the Daredevil Season 2 thread basically

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The rich billionaire character having a dream sequence about a future threat, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkdS4TfGBo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

The rich billionaire character having a dream sequence about a future threat, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkdS4TfGBo

Still a pretty great scene.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Edit: oops

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh my god he's riding the giant wheel thing and now it's on fire.

Edit: And now we get Christoph Lambert as a crazy priest!

Ghostrider 2 is pretty great. I just love the guy trying his decaying powers on a Twinkie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cage showing up in Avengers as the Rider is the only random cameo that would get me excited.

Also disappointed at Lambert not doing his trademark laugh.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cage showing up in Avengers as the Rider is the only random cameo that would get me excited.
If they have a scene in Civil War where they cut away to the side with Cage and Wesley Snipes in a cafe going "gently caress that noise" I'll buy 10 tickets

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If they have a scene in Civil War where they cut away to the side with Cage and Wesley Snipes in a cafe going "gently caress that noise" I'll buy 10 tickets

None of the people getting hurt are innocent, Cage shouldn't give a drat.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some details on BvS R-Cut via EW

quote:

One of the things cut from the theatrical release: A mystery character played by Jena Malone. Fans have been speculating about who she plays for months – and they’ll have to wait a few more before they find out.

“I think we should keep it private, but it’s nothing that’s been talked about,” Snyder says. “She’s definitely not Robin or Batgirl. I’m happy to say that.”

Some of what’s being added to the “Ultimate Edition” counts as a spoiler, so we won’t reveal all of the extra material. Suffice to say, some minor characters in the theatrical cut are given expanded storylines. And a few other actors will join Malone in being rescued from the cutting room floor.

“There’s a couple, like, Ahman Green, the running back from the Green Bay Packers, he’s in it. And C.T. Fletcher is like this bodybuilder muscle-guru from Compton, this awesome guy. He’s amazing, and he’s in it,” Snyder says. “And then there’s just a lot of these Easter Eggs in the Director’s Cut that I think are gonna be fun for everyone.”

Some of the additions are aimed at teasing future movies, like 2017’s Justice League film, which Snyder begins shooting in April. “There’s one giant one that I won’t tell you about yet that speaks to what’s gonna go on in the greater Justice League universe,” he says.

The only other question is: what exactly is in the new material that earned the R-rating?

Back in September, the ratings board gave the shorter version of Batman v Superman a PG-13 for “intense sequences of violence and action throughout, and some sensuality.” The R-rating came with the even more vague designation: “for sequences of violence.”

BvS producer Charles Roven, who also worked on Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight trilogy, says the “Ultimate Edition” won’t be gratuitous. “There’s not a lot of blood in our movies,” he says. “The ratings board also judges their PG-13 and R ratings by what they consider to be a level of intensity and how much that intensity goes throughout the entire movie. There are some pretty intense scenes in Batman v Superman, and if they went on longer and had that same level of intensity, that might cause the ratings board to shift their rating.”

Although Fox’s adaptation of the trash-talking, hyper-violent Marvel character Deadpool has producers and studio executives wondering whether R-rated superheroes could become a new trend, that’s unlikely to happen in the DC universe – apart from perhaps home video releases.

Sources at Warner Bros. tell EW on background that the studio still seeks the widest possible audience during the theatrical run, and that R – which stands for “Restricted” – does just what it describes.

If you want to make sure high school kids can get into your big, expensive action movie (without having to buy a ticket to a rival’s movie and then sneak in) then don’t put up a roadblock like that.

The R-rated success of Deadpool could be the exception rather than the start of a trend. And although the R-rated extended cut of BvS was in the works long before Deadpool’s release, the box office for that Ryan Reynolds movie reassured Warner Bros. executives that the more intense home video option was a worthwhile experiment.

Roven, who’s also producing this August’s Suicide Squad, another film in the DC movie universe, confirms that that movie – about a team of villains recruited to do the right thing on a deadly mission – won’t go for the R-rating in theaters. “I think right now we’re going for the PG-13. I don’t know that that’s going to materially change,” he said. “We can give that movie the edge that it needs and still maintain a PG-13.”

Affleck, who is considering both directing and starring in a stand-alone Batman film in the DC movie universe, says he’s glad the genre has become so widely embraced that it can sustain different types of superhero films. As long as there are options, he says he’s for it.

“These movies have definitely evolved from being comic books for children aimed at kids. Now they’re the most mainstream movies made, the most successful, the most widely viewed movies these days,” he says. “Clearly there’s a big enough audience. I think it’s cool. Why not have an R-rated version that you release for download or on DVD later? I think that’s smart.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sylvester Stalone has allegedly been cast in GotG2 which pretty much confirms that it's a stealth Tango & Cash sequel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

Sylvester Stalone has allegedly been cast in GotG2 which pretty much confirms that it's a stealth Tango & Cash sequel.

Whaaaaaat. This is amazing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

Allegedly Lockjaw has also been cast in GotG2 and there's leaked video.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I hope Thanos evolves through some cosmical bullshit or whatever and henceforth he is Sylvester Stalone in some purple and golden spandex.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I hope the Ogo rumors are true and they use Sly's face like they do with Thanos.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

I hope the Ogo rumors are true and they use Sly's face like they do with Thanos.
Ogo rumors? Is that like a character from the comic books? I tried googling the name and nothing came up.

Or is Ogo the source the Sly rumors are coming from.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm still waiting for Ego the Living Planet as long as it goes like this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gatts posted:

I'm still waiting for Ego the Living Planet as long as it goes like this.

Only if they keep the dickship. The arms race with DC must continue.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ogo rumors? Is that like a character from the comic books? I tried googling the name and nothing came up.

Or is Ogo the source the Sly rumors are coming from.

I think he meant Ego

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He definitely meant Ego. That is an actual rumor.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
So apparently the Venom spinoff is back on again? Maybe Sony wants some of that sweet Deadpool cash.
http://www.thewrap.com/spider-man-spinoff-venom-gets-new-life-at-sony-with-edge-of-tomorrow-writer/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Great Burrito posted:

So apparently the Venom spinoff is back on again? Maybe Sony wants some of that sweet Deadpool cash.
http://www.thewrap.com/spider-man-spinoff-venom-gets-new-life-at-sony-with-edge-of-tomorrow-writer/

quote:

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing the movie, which is expected to launch a new franchise that exists separately from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movies starring Tom Holland. Plot details, however, are being kept under wraps.

What the crunk?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Avi Arad.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Know what's a bummer? We never got Dylan Baker as The Lizard in a Sam Raimi Spider-Man. A Raimi Lizard would have been cool... think of those Evil Dead POV shots in a sewer.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's the next logical step: reboot the series before the last movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's loving Sony what do you expect.

I'm standing my ground on this one- if the Sony-Marvel Spider-Man movies aren't garbage, we are going to be extremely lucky.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

It's the next logical step: reboot the series before the last movie.

Well actually, yeah. This is evidently a 'soft' reboot, which is standard procedure for comic-book franchises.

Create a movie that functions as a sequel to spiderman 3, but that also leaves open the possibility of an eventual crossover with the new spiderman.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Spiderman is a monster and he must be stopped at all costs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HIJK posted:

Spiderman is a monster and he must be stopped at all costs.

Is that you, J. Jonah Jameson?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I don't see how you can have Venom without Spider-Man, aren't they a bit... symbiotic? A Superior Foes of Spider-Man movie would be a much better spin off.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Venom is after Spider-man tore off his symbiote.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

wyoming posted:

Venom is after Spider-man tore off his symbiote.

Yes I know, but still what possible story could you tell with Venom that doesn't involve Spider-Man? Does anyone actually want a movie with Venom fighting Carnage? Of course, I could also ask if anyone actually wants a Venom movie at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Proposition Joe posted:

I don't see how you can have Venom without Spider-Man, aren't they a bit... symbiotic?

There's precedence, we had a Catwoman movie without Batman and a Steel movie without Superman.

And they worked out perfectly fine! :unsmigghh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Proposition Joe posted:

Yes I know, but still what possible story could you tell with Venom that doesn't involve Spider-Man? Does anyone actually want a movie with Venom fighting Carnage? Of course, I could also ask if anyone actually wants a Venom movie at all.

Right now, in the comics, Venom's premise is "an alien superweapon that was bound to a government soldier who lost his legs in Iraq and who must struggle to keep the symboite under control while doing missions." It evolved to the point he's now part of the Guardians of the Galaxy but the core premise does not rely on Spider-Man at all.

Even if you go back to original Venom, the premise of his own book is is "A dude who found an alien super suit and bonded with it and used it to become a Lethal Protector" which likewise doesn't rely on Spider-Man.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Venom is basically Dark Spider-Man. A Venom movie without any association to Spider-Man would be like making uh... a Shadow the Hedgehog movie without Sonic in it.

Actually that would be hilarious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe every time someone tries to mention Spider-Man at any point in the movie he cuts them off and tells them to never mention that name in his presence. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Venom is basically Dark Spider-Man. A Venom movie without any association to Spider-Man would be like making uh... a Shadow the Hedgehog movie without Sonic in it.

Actually that would be hilarious.

Venom is (one of several) Evil Spider-Man but that is largely because the guy began in Spider-Man rather than that he relies on Spider-Man thematically. Most Venom stories are about the struggle between the host and the symbiote and the fact that it influences them while granting them power. Even the original Spider-Man story with the suit was about that more than it was about anything else. It's easy to push it as a "all the power, none of the responsibility" idea but that's not at all mandatory for Venom, the bulk of whose stories were more about him using that power while dealing with having a literal brain-hungry parasite attached to him.

He's been a hero or anti-hero longer than he's been a straight villain. If they're doing a straight movie, especially an R-Rated one, they're more likely to draw from that then they are his increasingly tenuous thematic connections to Spider-Man.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Spawn and Venom team up film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Is the white spider no longer a part of Venom's look? I know he has been a hulking mass of black semi-liquid poo poo for a long time, but he still basically looked like a dude in a dark costume with a big white spider on his chest. And there aren't many spider-related superheroes out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Grendels Dad posted:

Is the white spider no longer a part of Venom's look? I know he has been a hulking mass of black semi-liquid poo poo for a long time, but he still basically looked like a dude in a dark costume with a big white spider on his chest. And there aren't many spider-related superheroes out there.

Comic Book Movie Megathread: a hulking mass of black semi-liquid poo poo

• Locked thread