Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
It sounds like you already know the answer to your question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Dutymode posted:

Has anyone here ridden the CBR300R? There's one near here for for $3,000, with ABS. I'm curious how the fit and highway comfort would be compared to a 2007 Ninja 250. I'm trying to convince myself to wait for a good deal on a CB500F, but this price seems pretty good.

I'm not too concerned about power, I've owned bigger bikes and the Ninja is adequate, I just want FI, ABS, and not something that's any worse on long highway rides.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

This site can give you an idea of how the seating position will be different. I think it's even goon-made, but I can't remember who exactly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Razzled posted:

It sounds like you already know the answer to your question

New thread title.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I guess the answer is, "Wait for a CB500F, dumby."

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Dutymode posted:

I guess the answer is, "Wait for a superduke dumby."

Fixed for you

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

El Jebus posted:

I wish they would bring back the Magna. Gimme a sporty V4 standard/cruiser with a square headlight and looks only its mother could love. Rode one today and wanted to bring it home with me. The carb was even easy to pull and clean! Easier than the concourse by a mile.

Honda CTX1300. Take the hard bags and fairing off and slap some headlight of your choosing on it. Big V4 and definitely looks only a mother could love (a robot mother I think).

I want one. I don't think anybody buys them because Honda Canada has enormous discounts on them.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I checked out a minty fresh '07 990 SD yesterday and it was easily the best sounding bike/object I have ever heard in my entire life. Dealer wanted $7k for it and wouldn't budge on the price AT ALL, and there is no way I want to finance anything right now.

So... I'm checking out this CBR300R tomorrow because... why not, it's so cheap and new and will get me back on two wheels. I'm getting married in June so convincing the finance I need a $6000+ bike right now is not happening. Afterwards I'm getting a superduke though, so as long as I have a bike of any kind in the meantime I'll be good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
beautiful freudian slip

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Voltage posted:

I checked out a minty fresh '07 990 SD yesterday and it was easily the best sounding bike/object I have ever heard in my entire life. Dealer wanted $7k for it and wouldn't budge on the price AT ALL, and there is no way I want to finance anything right now.

Look at a XB9S or XB12S. Guaranteed to sound better than a SD990 and cost about half.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Dutymode posted:

Has anyone here ridden the CBR300R? There's one near here for for $3,000, with ABS. I'm curious how the fit and highway comfort would be compared to a 2007 Ninja 250. I'm trying to convince myself to wait for a good deal on a CB500F, but this price seems pretty good.

I'm not too concerned about power, I've owned bigger bikes and the Ninja is adequate, I just want FI, ABS, and not something that's any worse on long highway rides.

My CBR250 was more comfortable than a ninja 250, and the 300 is supposed to have a smoother engine. I'd say go for it if power isn't an issue, it'll be a lot torquier than the ninja was.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

I don't think anybody buys them because Honda Canada has enormous discounts on them.

Nobody buys them here either.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I can see why this bike was going for 7.8k

Was because I bought it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

He-eyy, congrats! That red is sharp, definitely having some pangs of jealousy over here.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Anybody have experience with Aprilias? I've had an SV650 for 8 years and I'm looking for something a little wilder. I do love the torque so I feel like a 4cyl wouldn't be for me, so I've been looking at 2004-2010 RSV-R's. Terrible idea? Any other bikes I should consider?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

builds character posted:

Digital Jesus has one and I think Yuns has one.

I do have a 390 in the Garage and I think it would be an excellent first bike. I've seen no issues on the first 1000 miles that got put on ours last summer and its an enjoyable but not deadly little thing to zoom around on.

There was a radiator fan issue in the very first release but it's been sorted now. Also I think the extended warranty on the thing is like $800 for 4-5 years of coverage so if you're extra concerned theres always that option.

390 is a good and fun biek.

E: The local dealer I buy from has sold 12 of them in the last year and out of those only one has had any issues so far, and it was a bad PCB for the display out of the crate. Mechanically no problems on any of them. The quality control on the models exported to NA is seemingly much better than those crated around the EU.

opengl128 posted:

Anybody have experience with Aprilias? I've had an SV650 for 8 years and I'm looking for something a little wilder. I do love the torque so I feel like a 4cyl wouldn't be for me, so I've been looking at 2004-2010 RSV-R's. Terrible idea? Any other bikes I should consider?

4cyl torque concerns need not apply.

Alternatively.... Join Me....

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 5, 2016

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

I do have a 390 in the Garage and I think it would be an excellent first bike. I've seen no issues on the first 1000 miles that got put on ours last summer and its an enjoyable but not deadly little thing to zoom around on.

There was a radiator fan issue in the very first release but it's been sorted now. Also I think the extended warranty on the thing is like $800 for 4-5 years of coverage so if you're extra concerned theres always that option.

390 is a good and fun biek.

E: The local dealer I buy from has sold 12 of them in the last year and out of those only one has had any issues so far, and it was a bad PCB for the display out of the crate. Mechanically no problems on any of them. The quality control on the models exported to NA is seemingly much better than those crated around the EU.

Are the reports of random stalling overblown? Most of the complaints about quality and stalling seem to be from people that don't actually own the thing.

Kastivich fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 5, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VERTiG0 posted:

Honda CTX1300. Take the hard bags and fairing off and slap some headlight of your choosing on it. Big V4 and definitely looks only a mother could love (a robot mother I think).

I want one. I don't think anybody buys them because Honda Canada has enormous discounts on them.
Did Honda use the same engine in any other bike? Because that's pretty neat, but the rest of the bike... :stonk:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Collateral Damage posted:

Did Honda use the same engine in any other bike? Because that's pretty neat, but the rest of the bike... :stonk:

I believe it's the same V4 out of the ST1300. Some people say it's a detuned VFR1200 motor but the displacements are slightly different (1261cc in ST/CTX vs 1237cc in the VFR).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Kastivich posted:

Are the reports of random stalling overblown? Most of the complaints about quality and stalling seem to be from people that don't actually own the thing.

Neither myself nor my wife have ever had the bike decide to stall for any reason in the time we've owned it. Hell I didn't even put the battery on a charger this winter and just went out and it fired right the gently caress up after sitting doing nothing for 5 months.

Its a good bike.

Where the "quality" falls through is the little imperfections. Scratching/marking in the aluminum. Swirls in the plastics. Absolutely nothing that looks awful or bad, just don't expect a "showroom perfect" machine cosmetics wise.

E: Also when you get out of the break-in period and can actually go WOT on it, it'll wheelie if you dream hard enough.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 5, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VERTiG0 posted:

I believe it's the same V4 out of the ST1300. Some people say it's a detuned VFR1200 motor but the displacements are slightly different (1261cc in ST/CTX vs 1237cc in the VFR).
The VFR's engine is transverse, not longitudal, so I doubt that too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

4cyl torque concerns need not apply.

The V4's are outside of my budget, sadly.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

VERTiG0 posted:

The CTX1300 is a Pan-European (ST1300) with the touring plastics removed and replaced with Blue Oyster Bar cosplay plastics added.

The Pan is no longer used by British police forces as when it's loaded up with gear and a beefed up rear shock any more than a 2psi under-inflation on the rear tyre leads to "an alarming wobble at speeds over 100mph". The top Police rider in the country broke his leg finding out.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Neither myself nor my wife have ever had the bike decide to stall for any reason in the time we've owned it. Hell I didn't even put the battery on a charger this winter and just went out and it fired right the gently caress up after sitting doing nothing for 5 months.

Its a good bike.

Where the "quality" falls through is the little imperfections. Scratching/marking in the aluminum. Swirls in the plastics. Absolutely nothing that looks awful or bad, just don't expect a "showroom perfect" machine cosmetics wise.

E: Also when you get out of the break-in period and can actually go WOT on it, it'll wheelie if you dream hard enough.

Thanks for the info. There is one at a dealer near me that I should go look at.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

The V4's are outside of my budget, sadly.

Aprilia have never made a straight-4 engine. Pre-Piaggio-V4 Tuonos and RSVs were 60-degree v-twins made by Rotax. Also check out the Shiver and/or Dorsoduro, "only" a 750 twin but it'll still rip your face off compared to an SV.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aprilia have never made a straight-4 engine. Pre-Piaggio-V4 Tuonos and RSVs were 60-degree v-twins made by Rotax. Also check out the Shiver and/or Dorsoduro, "only" a 750 twin but it'll still rip your face off compared to an SV.

I...know? Thats why I was looking at 04-10 RSV's, I know they're a twin.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

Sorry, completely misread what you were saying, and interpreted it as you were looking at pre-V4 bikes but thought they were inline 4s. I have absolutely no idea how I got that from what you posted.

Anyway check out the Shiver, because I'm fairly sure that my persistent brainwrongs are neither symptom nor cause of me having owned one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

It's definitely the VFR1200 engine, the displacements are different because honda love to change things by 1mm just to annoy people from the future.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

opengl128 posted:

Ride an 1125. Aprilias have passion where Buells have a really good sense of humor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

It's definitely the VFR1200 engine, the displacements are different because honda love to change things by 1mm just to annoy people from the future.

The CB350 and CL350 have slightly different camshafts, but this is documented literally nowhere in any Honda manuals or parts fiches. It doesn't even seem to be generally recognized on the 350 forums. I only discovered this by actually comparing in my hands two camshafts from the same model-year CB and CL.

They also changed both camshafts to a slightly different design after the '69 models, but that's at least hinted at by the decreased redline on the tachometer.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

The CB350 and CL350 have slightly different camshafts, but this is documented literally nowhere in any Honda manuals or parts fiches. It doesn't even seem to be generally recognized on the 350 forums. I only discovered this by actually comparing in my hands two camshafts from the same model-year CB and CL.

They also changed both camshafts to a slightly different design after the '69 models, but that's at least hinted at by the decreased redline on the tachometer.

75-77 GL1000s have different camshafts, carbs, and ignition advance doohickeys than 78-79 models. Also the plastics for the two years are slightly different heights and incompatible with each other. And the later ones have pullback bars instead of superbike bars.

Despite being the same model of bike with the same name over just a five years run.

Compare and contrast to the EX250 or KLR650 which each went nearly twenty years without any drat changes aside from the paint colour.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

opengl128 posted:

I've had two - a 2003 Tuono and now a 2007 Tuono. I love them. They have some quirks, but are overall reliable and parts are pretty cheap.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HotCanadianChick posted:

75-77 GL1000s have different camshafts, carbs, and ignition advance doohickeys than 78-79 models. Also the plastics for the two years are slightly different heights and incompatible with each other. And the later ones have pullback bars instead of superbike bars.

Despite being the same model of bike with the same name over just a five years run.

Compare and contrast to the EX250 or KLR650 which each went nearly twenty years without any drat changes aside from the paint colour.

It gets worse, the first 3 year Goldwings had 4 different sets of carbs. The first year had 2 sets, second year they changed the size of the air passages and had to re-jet. 77 saw the same bodies as the 75's but again jetted completely differently.

Didn't the 75 have different camshafts than the 76 and 77 too?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Honda loving sucks when it comes to consistency. The cb1100 are different between 2013-2014 just enough that you can't swap seats, gas tank, exhaust, gauge cluster and few other items I'm forgetting. While looking identical from the outside. Test your poo poo before releasing it, Jesus loving Christ.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I feel like it has to be some sort of perfectionist in a vacuum scenario. They make a "perfect" design, but realize they can make it "perfecter" if they engineer it with this slight difference. Then they go and do that, because why would you not fix such a glaring non-perfectest part? That would be madness. Aftermarket? Owner repairs? No, we don't know what you mean. We aren't building owners, we are building wonderfully engineered bikes. What are these owners you speak of?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I just rode a '15 CBR300R and let me tell you, that thing was so, so slow. I don't know if I'm completely ruined from my R1, but I swear it felt about half as fast as my pregen ninja 250. I really wanted to like it, and thought I would be OK for commuting to work, but it just had nothing.
Much too buzzy on the highway and I kept bouncing off the rev limiter over and over.

However, It was extremely, hilariously easy to ride - just so light and nimble. A perfect bike to learn on for sure, as I can't imagine how you could possibly gently caress up on it.

I'm glad I tried a slower bike, but I now know I'm just going to save a bit and get a Superduke or CB1000R :getin:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Voltage posted:

I'm glad I tried a slower bike, but I now know I'm just going to save a bit and get a Superduke or CB1000R :getin:

I think the CB1000R is so underrated. A Japanese bike with a single sided swingarm? Yes please!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Voltage posted:

So I just rode a '15 CBR300R and let me tell you, that thing was so, so slow. I don't know if I'm completely ruined from my R1, but I swear it felt about half as fast as my pregen ninja 250. I really wanted to like it, and thought I would be OK for commuting to work, but it just had nothing.
Much too buzzy on the highway and I kept bouncing off the rev limiter over and over.

However, It was extremely, hilariously easy to ride - just so light and nimble. A perfect bike to learn on for sure, as I can't imagine how you could possibly gently caress up on it.

This is good to know. I'm thinking the ABS bikes in my budget range aren't worth the extra money over the pregen 250. I think I'll either stick with it or go back to an SV.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Voltage posted:

So I just rode a '15 CBR300R and let me tell you, that thing was so, so slow. I don't know if I'm completely ruined from my R1,

:eyepop:

You currently ride a 1000cc race-replica supersport and you feel like a 300cc entry-level commuter is slow??? Well I never

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Frustratingly slow I think is what he's getting at, and I get it. After a 600 and 1000 i4 everything is annoyingly slow. I can't go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Twist your wrist and all that happens is the bike gets louder.