Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I always interpreted the Q as "questioning" tbh.

I've seen Q listed twice to cover both. The real litmus test is if you include a second T for twospirited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

The reality is that political goals can be achieved through a broad array of tactics, and voting is only one small part of that. How important voting is also depends on the election, the politicians, the office, and the demographic trends of an area. How likely a third party candidate is to win can vary because not every office is decided by first-past-the-post, even in the US, and plenty of local elections can be stormed by third parties. How good/bad the Democratic alternative to a Republican also varies by locale and from race to race. Which candidates move to the general election for presidency this year also hasn't even been decided yet, despite goon confidence in their predictive powers.

However nuance is impossible, and everyone is either evil or stupid for not doing the thing I think is right. Only argue through over-generalization and hyperbole. Never cite evidence, but yell at everyone who you disagree with who doesn't. And most importantly, never talk about the primaries in the subforum dedicated to them.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 5, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Chokes McGee posted:

Catching up on the thread. Is... Is Cudgel trolling? Am I trolling? Is anyone anymore?

We live in a post-Trump world and I can't tell reality from irony anymore :psyduck:

All i can say is that I legitimately had a higher opinion of Sanders supporters five pages ago than I did now :(

Also, fishmech, what did you do to these people? As far as I can tell your posting is informed and considered, if unvarnished in its criticisms.

But they literally seem to think you kvetching about how hard youth gotv can be on an internet forum is the equivalent of going out and screaming in 18yo's faces about how worthless they are :psyduck:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Donaldus Magnus appears to be on track to lose Kansas and Maine to Ted Cruz, according to Fox. Was this predicted by polling? I feel like I remember him being ahead at least in Maine.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

JiUC posted:

Is anyone following today's primary returns? Was Cruz expected to win these or is this a major shift away from trump?

They are caucuses, which are always tough to poll and in which Cruz has always had an advantage due to his superior organization. Him winning is not exactly a surprise.

Louisiana is a closed primary which might hurt Trump, but it's not a caucus so Trump should be okay. If Trump loses Louisiana, let alone takes a drubbing there from Cruz, it might mean something. These midwestern and southern states were always going to be tricky for Trump, especially the caucuses.

Maine is a case where Trump should've had a lot of institutional and demographic advantages, but it's still a caucus. Also it's Maine.

All the contests are proportional so even if Cruz swept the table, he's not going to get a huge net gain on Trump in delegates.

What Trump should have lined up is another news story to grab the cycle by Monday if the returns look poor on him.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 5, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I love how everyone is ignoring that one guy itt.

El Disco posted:

Which guy?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766405&userid=87145

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh hey Hillarychat.

I propose we talk instead about literally anything else. How about "why the gently caress is everyone so angry?"

Here's a post on the subject from a Reddit thread about why white America is so angry:

"Suburban, middle class white America is angry because they're barely getting by. Housing and other costs have eaten away at a paycheck that hasn't grown; taxes always take out a bigger chunk then they'd like. They work at jobs that are asking more of them than ever for even less job security. They don't know how they'll be able to retire; they don't have pension funds helping them out anymore, and social security benefits seem like they're getting cut each election cycle.

Rural white America is angry because the country is simply passing them by. There's fewer and fewer jobs in rural America as factories and farm work dwindles. Their schools and education opportunities are dwindling as the focus is much more on suburban schools. They're being pinched by the same price increases that suburbanites are feeling, but they seem to get an even shorter end of the stick. Also, they feel that their way of life and their values are being suppressed by suburban and urban America. They feel like the government should be helping them; not with a handout, but by helping bring back the prosperity that those areas once had.

Black America is angry because no matter how much equality or respect they seem to get, they're still dealing with the same issues that have been a part of their communities for more than a half a century. Housing discrimination, a sub par education system, few employment opportunities let alone good ones, and a criminal justice system that is structured to oppress. Even worse is their plight is more known now than it has been in the past, yet nothing changes.

Latin Americans are angry for much the same reason Black Americans are, but have the added burden of dealing with immigration obstacles, as well the situations in their home countries. Most are sending as much money as they can back to their families in their home countries. Many are working under the table, trying to learn English, and are constantly in fear of the authorities deporting them.

Business leaders and 1 percenters feel that their successes are being exploited by the country through taxation and regulation at the same time that their facing global competition. They also don't feel that the taxes they pay are best spent propping up a portion of the population they feel is a drag on society. They feel that they can create more for society by deploying that capital in their businesses than handing over to the government to dish out.

Conservatives are angry because they're seeing the country go more and more in the opposite direction of what they want. The representatives they've sent to Washington have either directed massive spending or gave it their rubber stamp. The government doesn't seem to be getting any smaller and on top of the crony capitalism they see, there's the crony government contracts. The national debt is soaring, yet they feel they're being taxed more than ever. Society as a whole is moving leftward and becoming more secular, which is more disconcerting to them.

Progressives are angry because they see the country being pulled back more than moving forward. Despite Obama's campaign of hope in '08, they don't feel that they've seen enough results from that. Health care is not doing significantly better than it was, and its under heavier attack than ever before. There's a constant push of regressive policies coming from red states that are threatening federal laws (GLBT issues, woman's rights, etc). Little progress has been made in regards to income inequality, affordable higher education, or environmental protections. Campaign finance has gotten significantly worse, and the government has become even more of a revolving door for lobbyists."

And an addendum-

"Young kids are angry the state of higher education. After generations, college has gone from a lofty goal to practically a requirement. In order to even get a degree, most take on massive amounts of debt that will negatively impact their ability to get their lives started through their mid 20s into their 30s. At the same time, the job prospects coming out of school are bleaker then they've ever been before, and even if you're able to find a job in your area of study, you'll likely still struggle just to afford your loan payments. At the same time, your parents are likely in a rough spot due to the recession or trying to pay as much as they could for your school, and you're not sure if they'll be able to retire. If you aren't living in their basement, then you're probably worried that they might have to move in with you if their retirement funds aren't able to make ends meet."

I'm not sure I buy the explanations entirely, but I do agree with the reasons why rural America is absolutely irate right now. The shipping revolution and the strong dollar has gutted rural industry. Agriculture, never an exactly glamorous living, has largely mechanized and consolidated to large conglomerates which mostly want to farm only the most ideal environments for particular crops.

This is pretty accurate, thank you. Although computer parts et al are still going to argue that we're living in better times than ever before, so good luck with that. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Trabisnikof posted:

I've seen Q listed twice to cover both. The real litmus test is if you include a second T for twospirited.

Two-spirited is 2, noob :smug:

LGBTQQA2?!A

Lesbian
Gay
Bi
Trans
Queer
Questioning
Asexual
Two-spirit
Unknown
Genderqueer/gently caress
Ally - for some reason

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 5, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This is pretty accurate, thank you. Although computer parts et al are still going to argue that we're living in better times than ever before, so good luck with that. :shrug:

Just because we may be living in better times than ever before doesn't necessarily translate to the impression of a better quality of life for everyone, and it's very possible to have had one's situation improve but to look at someone else whose situation has improved way more and still feel left behind. And "better" comes in a lot of different forms, so things can be getting better in some ways (like access to information, environmental awareness, or availability of nutrition) but worse in others (income equality). So the two conclusions aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

We are, its not inherently contradictory. Life is complicated and there's still vast amounts of work to do to make things right.

Personally I think the place to start is saying corporations can't be people because that means the government is actively creating people and that should give everyone pause.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Antti posted:

They are caucuses, which are always tough to poll and in which Cruz has always had an advantage due to his superior organization. Him winning is not exactly a surprise.

Louisiana is a closed primary which might hurt Trump, but it's not a caucus so Trump should be okay. If Trump loses Louisiana, let alone takes a drubbing there from Cruz, it might mean something. These midwestern and southern states were always going to be tricky for Trump, especially the caucuses.

Maine is a case where Trump should've had a lot of institutional and demographic advantages, but it's still a caucus. Also it's Maine.

All the contests are proportional so even if Cruz swept the table, he's not going to get a huge net gain on Trump in delegates.

What Trump should have lined up is another news story to grab the cycle by Monday if the returns look poor on him.

This, and look forward to Trump declaring war on yet another previously-inviolable figure, possibly Jesus or Reagan, or else an endorsement from one of the aforementioned direct from the Pearly Gates.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

fishmech posted:

And the point is a lot of others don't want to identify as queer for the aforementioned reasons. Did you even read the post?

Queer is a slur just as much as gay can be used as one. This has been a ongoing thing for like 35 loving years or more ever since Queers read this was disseminated and before that. The difference is that its more acceptable to say queer studies than something like human being studies. It's a issue with some people and some people take no offense at this point http://www.queerty.com/ , etc...

Queer is a fluid label/ umbrella term / reclaimed word etc..

http://www.lgbt.ucla.edu/documents/LGBTTerminology.pdf

Generally, a good rule is don't use terms like dyke and queer unless the person identifies at that.

It's similar to dyke.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Beaten by Quorum, but I don't think anyone is questioning an overall improvement in medicine, tech, etc., compared to 40 years ago, only that the improvements haven't been felt equally by everyone, if at all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JiUC posted:

Is anyone following today's primary returns? Was Cruz expected to win these or is this a major shift away from trump?

He was expected to get at least one state, especially after Super Tuesday passed and instead of just winning Texas, he also got Oklahoma and Alaska for a total of 4 states with Iowa.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The rural americans bit made me roll my eyes, but the Reddit post lost me at "Latin Americans", namely in that there's a hell of a lot more Latin Americans/Hispanics/etc. outside of economic migrants supporting their families back south. Where exactly do these folks even fit into this post? It doesn't seem that they fit anywhere.

Lots of people are angry, sure. White America can even be said to be in despair, judging by suicide numbers and drug epidemics. But I don't think this post has nailed it at all.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 6, 2016

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Chokes McGee posted:

Catching up on the thread. Is... Is Cudgel trolling? Am I trolling? Is anyone anymore?

We live in a post-Drumpf world and I can't tell reality from irony anymore :psyduck:
I honestly think that you people must live in some sort of alternate reality in which money isn't a corrosive force in politics and the only reason people don't vote for your preferred candidate is out of spite. Believe me, I'm feeling just as :psyduck: as you here. I feel like I put forward a legitimate concern that weighs significantly in my judgement of who to vote for, and was immediately met with tribalistic vitriol.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

bhsman posted:

Beaten by Quorum, but I don't think anyone is questioning an overall improvement in medicine, tech, etc., compared to 40 years ago, only that the improvements haven't been felt equally by everyone, if at all.

These improvements, while good on the whole, are effectively meaningless if gated behind a massive wealth gap and income inequality. Advancements in nano technology to attack cancer with laser precision and to minimize the need for chemotherapy is useless to the many who are disserviced by a failed privatized healthcare system and would rather commit suicide than subject their families to life ruining amounts of debt by treating their cancer or other preventable diseases.

It is insulting to say to these people that their lives are better now than ever before because of technological advances made at a distance from the depressing reality of their own lives.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Cugel the Clever posted:

I honestly think that you people must live in some sort of alternate reality in which money isn't a corrosive force in politics and the only reason people don't vote for your preferred candidate is out of spite. Believe me, I'm feeling just as :psyduck: as you here. I feel like I put forward a legitimate concern that weighs significantly in my judgement of who to vote for, and was immediately met with tribalistic vitriol.

To be trite, currently, Capitalism is Too Big To Fail.

We have to construct a new way for society to function that manages capitalism like an ox plowing a field for humanities benefit. If we take the tact of accellerating the flaws of Capitalism so it finally becomes palletable for the general masses to dismiss it, we lose what value capitalism can contribute to society and probably cause a whole lot of human misery as we stand before the crater of society asking rhetorically "What about your capitalism now hmm? :smug:"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RuanGacho posted:

We are, its not inherently contradictory. Life is complicated and there's still vast amounts of work to do to make things right.

Personally I think the place to start is saying corporations can't be people because that means the government is actively creating people and that should give everyone pause.

I don't know about you, but I am on board with Obama's plan to produce an army of ADVENT troopers genetically engineered clones to cement his rule.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cugel the Clever posted:

You didn't put forward legit concerns, you whined that your preferred candidate couldn't even win the party they're in.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Glenn beck pulled his usual trick of waving something expensive he bought at auction around and reading the IMDB summary of "willie wonka" to make a point that the constitution is like the golden ticket he bought when he was messed up on post-em

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't know about you, but I am on board with Obama's plan to produce an army of ADVENT troopers genetically engineered clones to cement his rule.

You arrive at the DMV: Gasp! It's Obama behind the counter!

You go to the pound to adopt a pet: Obama is there to tell you the puppy urinates when excited!

You go to vote for your next congressional ballot:

OBAMA
OBAMA
OBAMA
OBAMA
OBAMA

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

There are plenty of people (myself included) who do not like being called queer due to the negative associations.

It's kinda like how Jew can be bad or okay. Am I a Jew? Technically. Can you call me a Jew? That depends on how you say it.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

All i can say is that I legitimately had a higher opinion of Sanders supporters five pages ago than I did now :(

Also, fishmech, what did you do to these people? As far as I can tell your posting is informed and considered, if unvarnished in its criticisms.

But they literally seem to think you kvetching about how hard youth gotv can be on an internet forum is the equivalent of going out and screaming in 18yo's faces about how worthless they are :psyduck:

We're not all bad. In fact, most of us are a-okay. This is actually the first time I've seen ones be so ... petulant. To be fair, this is the first monthly USPOL thread I've followed though.

E: before someone jumps all over me for "calling all Bernie supporters/millenials petulant"... please don't.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cugel the Clever posted:

In fairness, I agreed with your points about how being bitter about the youth vote doesn't seem like a winning strategy, but you seemed to turn heel at the last moment with the "I'm still not voting for Hillary" bit. Even if that's unfairly treating your objective point with your subjective opinion, it just kind feeds into people's bias confirmation that you had been fighting. Even you should see that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

It's kinda like how Jew can be bad or okay. Am I a Jew? Technically. Can you call me a Jew? That depends on how you say it.

This is a pretty good way of looking at it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

This is a pretty good way of looking at it.

OH I forgot to say - your avatar is super cute, btw.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The rural americans bit made me roll my eyes, but the Reddit post lost me at "Latin Americans", namely in that there's a hell of a lot more Latin Americans/Hispanics/etc. outside of economic migrants supporting their families back south. Where exactly do these folks even fit into this post? It doesn't seem that they fit anywhere.

Lots of people are angry, sure. White America can even be said to be in despair, judging by suicide numbers and drug epidemics. But I don't think this post has nailed it at all.

Yeah the "Latin Americans" part was the one that I had the most issue with as well.

Also there's the inherent problem that sweeping generalizations are going to be generally wrong. What describes one city, county, or state won't really mesh with the experiences of others. For example talk of the relatively recent decline in the US textile industry would be a whole lot more pertinent to people in the Southeast.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RuanGacho posted:

That's a weird point I never heard anybody make before. I like it. Have you ever tried that take on conservatives you know in real life?

On this note, gosh I'd sure like it if you guys quit saying "Blacks" and "the Blacks" like baby boomers stage-whispering in mixed company. I know it's just something people pick up from soaking up the terse terminology of political polls, but try "black people" on for size. It's not much extra typing, and it's a lot less dehumanizing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RuanGacho posted:

Yep, exactly.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

These improvements, while good on the whole, are effectively meaningless if gated behind a massive wealth gap and income inequality. Advancements in nano technology to attack cancer with laser precision and to minimize the need for chemotherapy is useless to the many who are disserviced by a failed privatized healthcare system and would rather commit suicide than subject their families to life ruining amounts of debt by treating their cancer or other preventable diseases.

It is insulting to say to these people that their lives are better now than ever before because of technological advances made at a distance from the depressing reality of their own lives.

Which metrics do you wish to use? It sounds like distribution of income is one of them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

bhsman posted:

In fairness, I agreed with your points about how being bitter about the youth vote doesn't seem like a winning strategy, but you seemed to turn heel at the last moment with the "I'm still not voting for Hillary" bit. Even if that's unfairly treating your objective point with your subjective opinion, it just kind feeds into people's bias confirmation that you had been fighting. Even you should see that.
Thanks for the reasonable response—I genuinely fail to wrap my head around the ire my comments seem to have stirred up. It's not "I'm still not voting for Hillary", so much as "I've never intended to vote for Hillary". I just don't identify as a Democrat and vote based on both the candidate's platform and my perception of their genuine desire to follow through on it. I do vote the Democratic ticket, by and large, but am put at a loss when my concerns regarding this specific candidate are met with anger rather than effort to persuade.

Yeah, this is the Internet and it brings out the worst in people, but I've encountered the very same reaction from Clinton supporters in person. I get that people don't want to spend valuable time and effort to bring me on board, but it's hard not to be taken aback by people who, upon seeing a Bernie button, accuse you of wanting a Republican to win. Maybe Fishmech & Co. are leaving unsaid that their disdain for the youth vote and the progressive vote doesn't enter their real world conversations with these groups, but my experience says otherwise.

When my local diehard socialists initially ragged on Bernie for getting on the Democratic ticket, sure, I rolled my eyes and thought them overly dedicated to their own label. But then I put myself out there, talked through the sore points with them, and brought out a good gaggle of them to vote for Bernie in the caucuses.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

You skipped the part where you said that if your Perfect Jesus Candidate didn't win you're taking your ball and going home.

In a thread full of threadshitting, you are the champion of poo poo.

Anecdotal I know, but of the two dozen or so Bernie supporters I know personally, none have indicated that they won't vote for Clinton. I think many of you are seriously overestimating the number of Sanders supporters that will A. vote in the primary and B. not vote for Clinton in the general.

I mean we have one or two in this thread who have indicated that mentality (out of a hundred or so posters), and this is a very left-leaning forum.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 6, 2016

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's a weird point I never heard anybody make before. I like it. Have you ever tried that take on conservatives you know in real life?

I haven't tried it because I'm basically down to my one libertarian friend whom I've known for 25 years and he's really a libertarian in name only and more of a weird social liberal who is really sure the EPA is impeding business. Still he helps my intellectual rigor.

I don't really bother with people who's political self identification begins with "I believe in the Constitution!" which is really the only other kind I encounter online or offline.

But yes, quiz people if they really want the government creating people, the implications of defeating that line of thought will help keep political and economic rights in the hands of individuals instead of entities of dubious mortality.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

computer parts posted:

Yep, exactly.

Which metrics do you wish to use? It sounds like distribution of income is one of them.

Well, cost and access to healthcare, cost of higher education, income inequality, for-profit criminal justice systems, climate change, money in politics, and voter ID suppression are good for starters.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I called my mom yesterday to wish her a happy birthday. She said "Thanks but if trump is elected this is the end for our democracy." This election :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Well, cost and access to healthcare, cost of higher education, income inequality, for-profit criminal justice systems, climate change, money in politics, and voter ID suppression are good for starters.

Most of those aren't really controversial, I'll admit.

Let's look at cost and access to healthcare though - at what point would you say both cost and access to healthcare was more friendly to the average American? Unions did support adding health care benefits as part of their collective bargaining, but union membership peaked at about 1/3 of waged & salaried workers:

In fact, the rates of uninsured Americans I'm finding are shockingly high, especially for people who weren't actively working (i.e., pre Medicare et all).

On a side note, the history of Health care reform in the 20th Century is detailed here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1447696/ . It's a very interesting read, including many parallels to the present day.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Antti posted:

I am gonna :laffo: so hard if the Repub elite have to kiss up to Cruz just to avoid Trump.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

On Terra Firma posted:

I called my mom yesterday to wish her a happy birthday. She said "Thanks but if trump is elected this is the end for our democracy." This election :(

If it helps any, my mom is super worried and convinced that Trump will win "since we voted for [W.] Bush twice, TWICE!" while my dad is convinced Hillary will win the general election and that Trump doesn't have a chance.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cugel the Clever posted:

Thanks for the reasonable response—I genuinely fail to wrap my head around the ire my comments seem to have stirred up. It's not "I'm still not voting for Hillary", so much as "I've never intended to vote for Hillary". I just don't identify as a Democrat and vote based on both the candidate's platform and my perception of their genuine desire to follow through on it. I do vote the Democratic ticket, by and large, but am put at a loss when my concerns regarding this specific candidate are met with anger rather than effort to persuade.

Yeah, this is the Internet and it brings out the worst in people, but I've encountered the very same reaction from Clinton supporters in person. I get that people don't want to spend valuable time and effort to bring me on board, but it's hard not to be taken aback by people who, upon seeing a Bernie button, accuse you of wanting a Republican to win. Maybe Fishmech & Co. are leaving unsaid that their disdain for the youth vote and the progressive vote doesn't enter their real world conversations with these groups, but my experience says otherwise.

When my local diehard socialists initially ragged on Bernie for getting on the Democratic ticket, sure, I rolled my eyes and thought them overly dedicated to their own label. But then I put myself out there, talked through the sore points with them, and brought out a good gaggle of them to vote for Bernie in the caucuses.

To be fair, your position as stated is that Hillary is some sort of inscrutable pod person dispatched by big banks to destroy the country. Anyone w/ a more grounded perspective probably will take issue with that.

E: like, if your litmus test for candidates is that they must immediately transcend and discard the established political order that's fine but you should accept that it's a really extreme position

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 6, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I am gonna :laffo: so hard if the Repub elite have to kiss up to Cruz just to avoid Trump.

Depicted: Cruz's literal face and reaction to this thought:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

In a thread full of threadshitting, you are the champion of poo poo.

Anecdotal I know, but of the two dozen or so Bernie supporters I know personally, none have indicated that they won't vote for Clinton. I think many of you are seriously overestimating the number of Sanders supporters that will A. vote in the primary and B. not vote for Clinton in the general.

I mean we have one or two in this thread who have indicated that mentality (out of a hundred or so posters), and this is a very left-leaning forum.

He was directly quoting and speaking to someone who said exactly that you dumb gently caress. Try reading the loving thread.

• Locked thread