Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cugel the Clever posted:

Thanks for the reasonable response&;I genuinely fail to wrap my head around the ire my comments seem to have stirred up. It's not "I'm still not voting for Hillary", so much as "I've never intended to vote for Hillary". I just don't identify as a Democrat and vote based on both the candidate's platform and my perception of their genuine desire to follow through on it. I do vote the Democratic ticket, by and large, but am put at a loss when my concerns regarding this specific candidate are met with anger rather than effort to persuade.

It's just one of those things about anonymity and the internet where, because you've presented an image of the unreasonable Bernie supporter - especially in light of the earlier argument - it gives them an excuse to take it out on you. Not to victim-blame you or anything, of course.

The other thing is that you have literally 20+ years of people talking about how evil/shady Hillary is (and not a small amount of that couched in misogyny) that there's an ingrained resistance whenever criticisms of her - genuine or otherwise get brought up. This was true even in 2008 when you had Obama supporters coming up with dumb things to talk about with Hillary when it just wasn't relevant. As for your own concerns, I don't know if I can give you a satisfactory answer because I feel like you are coming at this from a very principled POV (which is a good thing). All I can really say is that I feel guys like Obama and Bernie are exceptions to the money side of the Democratic party, but that always feels like a bonus to me compared to policy positions, on which Bernie and Hillary don't differ that much.

That probably didn't help much; sorry if I rambled. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

On this note, gosh I'd sure like it if you guys quit saying "Blacks" and "the Blacks" like baby boomers stage-whispering in mixed company. I know it's just something people pick up from soaking up the terse terminology of political polls, but try "black people" on for size. It's not much extra typing, and it's a lot less dehumanizing.
That's what I use, and it hasn't led me astray yet. I also just kinda blew up at my dad a monthish ago for using "Canadian".
"JUST SAY N-----! I KNOW THAT'S WHAT YOU MEAN."
I've used that word a handful of times in my life, and never in a negative way, but that's the only time I've ever been satisfied with myself after.

RuanGacho posted:

Personally I think the place to start is saying corporations can't be people because that means the government is actively creating people and that should give everyone pause.

How a sovcit is born.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

On Terra Firma posted:

I called my mom yesterday to wish her a happy birthday. She said "Thanks but if trump is elected this is the end for our democracy." This election :(

This made me laugh really hard and I am so sorry for it. Happy Birthday, Terra Firma Mom.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

That's what I use, and it hasn't led me astray yet. I also just kinda blew up at my dad a monthish ago for using "Canadian".
I've used that word a handful of times in my life, and never in a negative way, but that's the only time I've ever been satisfied with myself after.

Haha what did he say?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Unzip and Attack posted:

In a thread full of threadshitting, you are the champion of poo poo.

Anecdotal I know, but of the two dozen or so Bernie supporters I know personally, none have indicated that they won't vote for Clinton. I think many of you are seriously overestimating the number of Sanders supporters that will A. vote in the primary and B. not vote for Clinton in the general.

I mean we have one or two in this thread who have indicated that mentality (out of a hundred or so posters), and this is a very left-leaning forum.

:nallears:

thanks for the valuable contribution unzip and shitpost pages after people dropped it you have to get one last parting shot

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:nallears:

thanks for the valuable contribution unzip and shitpost pages after people dropped it you have to get one last parting shot

So what is the exact number of posts that need to go by before your individual poo poo posts expire and can no longer be addressed? I'm going to have to make a spreadsheet. Maybe you can tell us more about how DWS only gets criticized because she's a woman. That's one of the best threadshits you never ended up even trying to defend, but that's just the first one I could think of.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Unzip and Attack posted:

So what is the exact number of posts that need to go by before your individual poo poo posts expire and can no longer be addressed? I'm going to have to make a spreadsheet. Maybe you can tell us more about how DWS only gets criticized because she's a woman. That's one of your best threadshits you never ended up defending, but that's just the first one I could think of.

:allears:

(I want to print this post out and frame it too)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Haha what did he say?

He was very contrite and apologized, and I felt only a twinge bad about it. Car ride was almost over, thankfully.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

guys I think it is time we step back and find common cause

I think we can all agree that Cruz is a suspicious person who ate a booger on live TV with millions watching, and that is funny

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Epic High Five posted:

I think we can all agree that Cruz is a suspicious person who ate a booger on live TV with millions watching, and that is funny

And people still voted for him!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I really need to start watching some of these debates. While drunk, of course.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Epic High Five posted:

I watched the video and am still confused as to how a booger migrated to his lip. That's almost more gross than him eating it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just saw a poll of Michigan post-debate - Kasich +2. Granted Trump still holds 31% and that's within the MoE, but that's a hell of a swing from Trump +~15

That debate and subsequent CPAC withdrawal may have hurt him. Couldn't be a worse time for caucuses if you're Trump.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Antti posted:

What Drumpf should have lined up is another news story to grab the cycle by Monday if the returns look poor on him.

I think he's lining this up as his "do whatever to stay in the news" bit for the next day or two. The David Duke thing was a good test, so it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLmh8ck0yk https://imgur.com/gallery/YEwF7O1 - wasn't unintentional.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Syjefroi posted:

I think he's lining this up as his "do whatever to stay in the news" bit for the next day or two. The David Duke thing was a good test, so it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLmh8ck0yk https://imgur.com/gallery/YEwF7O1 - wasn't unintentional.

what you think he will go full white nationalist?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The Senate is moving forward with legislation that would preempt state mandates of GMO labeling, instead setting up a voluntary labeling system nationwide. It's not yet clear that the bill will pass the Senate, however.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hope it gets stomped down and the crystal loving anit-vaxx shitheads all cry

Congress just sits around and does nothing anymore they'd better not break that habit for this

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
^Pretty sure the homeopathic anti-vaxxers are the ones in favor of mandatory GMO labeling.
GMO labeling is actually super dumb, so I'm cool with this.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 6, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

^Pretty sure the homeopathic anti-vaxxers are the ones in favor of mandatory GMO labeling.

Oh I read that wrong. Well I guess I hope the senate rouses itself long enough to do this at least.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

And people still voted for him!

Booger eaters: the silent majority.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I love how #GOPSmartSet is being used on Twitter right now as a slur by Trump and Cruz supporters to attack Rubio fans. Really tells you where the GOP is right now and where it's headed.

Also this is pretty disturbing:

https://twitter.com/kevinmkruse/status/706240284309495808

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I love how #GOPSmartSet is being used on Twitter right now as a slur by Trump and Cruz supporters to attack Rubio fans. Really tells you where the GOP is right now and where it's headed.

Also this is pretty disturbing:

https://twitter.com/kevinmkruse/status/706240284309495808

He's not wrong. Give them a fig leaf written by John Yoo and the brass has no problem with it. Pretending otherwise is just elites tut-tutting and pretending they weren't up to their armpits in it before

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's dumb to say you can't label your products as GMO-free even if you don't think GMOs are bad.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Boon posted:

Well, it's only been like 5 minutes into the debate.

So far today Trump has intimated he could make Mitt Romney suck his dick and also that he has a yuge dick. It's been quite the day for Democracy.

Well it would certainly explain the size of his mouth...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fried Chicken posted:

He's not wrong. Give them a fig leaf written by John Yoo and the brass has no problem with it. Pretending otherwise is just elites tut-tutting and pretending they weren't up to their armpits in it before

there's a pretty big difference between collateral damage and the odd bit of torture and intentionally and openly going after innocent civilians

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

True but I'll bet that's not how Lord meant it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mozi posted:

It's dumb to say you can't label your products as GMO-free even if you don't think GMOs are bad.

There's literally nothing stopping companies from labeling their products as GMO-free: the USDA Organic logo means that, among other things, and has been officially approved since the 90s

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

there's a pretty big difference between collateral damage and the odd bit of torture and intentionally and openly going after innocent civilians

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fried Chicken posted:

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki

the target of that strike was Ibrahim al-Banna, who was part of AQAP. Abdulrahman's death was unfortunate, but hardly a war crime. Collateral damage is a tragic, but inevitable, part of every aerial warfare campaign.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mozi posted:

We could also start labeling baby food as Ebola-free and that's just as useful and just as fear mongering.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

duz posted:

We could also start labeling baby food as Ebola-free and that's just as useful and just as fear mongering.

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: this product may be lethal if ingested improperly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The problem with the GMO label is that the public at large is stupid as poo poo and thinks science words are scary.

Food that was treated with ATOMS were massively unpopular and thus aren't sold anymore. Sterilization with radiation seems like a extremely valuable tool and it's s shame it's a deal breaker.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Of all the ways that companies misuse human mental deficiencies to sell us things, is GMO free labeling really the most impactful one we could be addressing?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

The problem with the GMO label is that the public at large is stupid as poo poo and thinks science words are scary.

Food that was treated with ATOMS were massively unpopular and thus aren't sold anymore. Sterilization with radiation seems like a extremely valuable tool and it's s shame it's a deal breaker.

I thought irradiation was suuuuuuuper common as a sterilizing technique though? Pretty much all spices and some meat

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

the target of that strike was Ibrahim al-Banna, who was part of AQAP. Abdulrahman's death was unfortunate, but hardly a war crime. Collateral damage is a tragic, but inevitable, part of every aerial warfare campaign.

Revisionist history that they started claiming after weeks of getting hammered on it. Their initial stance was that it was justified specifically on the basis of his father's actions.

Here's former WH Press Secretary Robert Gibbs on it:

quote:

ADAMSON: ...It's an American citizen that is being targeted without due process, without trial. And, he's underage. He's a minor.

GIBBS: I would suggest that you should have a far more responsible father if they are truly concerned about the well being of their children. I don't think becoming an al Qaeda jihadist terrorist is the best way to go about doing your business.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I thought irradiation was suuuuuuuper common as a sterilizing technique though? Pretty much all spices and some meat

It is, but the companies complained about the labeling requirement. The local hippy-mart still has giant "we have no non-irradiated indian mangos" because all imported indian mangos are irradiated.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

It is, but the companies complained about the labeling requirement. The local hippy-mart still has giant "we have no non-irradiated indian mangos" because all imported indian mangos are irradiated.

Dumbass people I swear.

My local hippie market has lots of organics which I think is a scam, but thankfully lots of non-organics too. For half the price lmao. No radiation worries though, must not be a concern in the midwest

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mozi posted:

I don't think that's what the bill does though. Pretty sure it just means states can't require GMO produce to say "This produce is GMO." Banning required speech instead of banning voluntary speech.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

What's most irritating to me is how willing Democrats are to capitulate to hippie anti-science dipshits, even from the states that don't have to really answer to them. If the senator from Oregon is concerned, sure, but Stabenow or Casey? There shouldn't even be a question. It's beneficial to interstate commerce, supports science and R&D by preventing meaningless labeling from taking hold, and would create a federal standard akin to organic labeling for any company that wants to market to the ignorant. In fact, the only real complaint against it is that between private groups (e.g. non-GMO project) and the existing USDA Organic label, there might be no need for a voluntary federal standard at all, so it's spending money we don't need to spend.

[edit: I misread that. It's voluntary in the other direction. There is no new standard being created.]
[edit 2: I misread it again.. gently caress. Here's the text.]

quote:

This bill amends the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946 to require the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) to establish a voluntary genetically engineered food certification program. This program must be implemented through certifying agents accredited by the AMS.

For a food to be sold as a product produced without genetic engineering (non-GMO), the food must be subject to supply chain process controls that keep the product separated from GMOs and must be produced and handled in compliance with a non-genetically engineered food plan, which is a description of procedures to ensure compliance, monitoring records, and corrective actions in the event of a deviation from the plan.

Trabisnikof posted:

Of all the ways that companies misuse human mental deficiencies to sell us things, is GMO free labeling really the most impactful one we could be addressing?

You seem confused. This bill is to prevent states from enacting stupid mandatory labeling laws.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I hope this doesn't come back to bite you in the butt. It is cool and good that you did this, but I can say from experience that it may cause your family to "forget" to invite you to family events or tell you about important happenings.

• Locked thread