Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PerrineClostermann posted:

Not to sound particularly paranoid or anything, but my 760 is idling at 48c and reaches 81c while playing World of Warships at decent settings. Should I be somewhat concerned/disappointed?

If that's a blower cooler then it doesn't sound too far off. You can always repaste between the heatsink and gpu, sometimes to great effect.

The idle seems high to me though for that gen, and 81 is getting close to throttling temp for some cards, so I'd run afterburner and see if your clock rate is dipping when it gets to that temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Zero VGS posted:

It's the last thing you'll ever hear.
It never gets to 100% unless you set it there. Default is like 55% I believe which is fine though still loud compared to a stock 970.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

And throttles pretty hard.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So is it crazy to sell a pair of 980tis woth water blocks now? Kinda thinking that the next gen cards are gonna be real wowzors right off the bat and sli seems to have been a choice not really worth the cost, also with sli vr looking like a nice idea but not anything to bank on.

I have a 970 in my brothers pc and hes overseas atm so i could use that in the mean time till then next gen cards rock up

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Maybe. I'm not really expecting Big Polaris/Pascal off the bat but I am kind of expecting the next from the top chip to come out and be really solid for a lot less. If you get out now you're sure to get the money at their current value and not get slammed by the cards depreciating when the new hotness comes out. If that makes enough sense to be worth going down to a 970 for three or so months, then I'd say do it. If not, keep rocking the things.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

Maybe. I'm not really expecting Big Polaris/Pascal off the bat but I am kind of expecting the next from the top chip to come out and be really solid for a lot less. If you get out now you're sure to get the money at their current value and not get slammed by the cards depreciating when the new hotness comes out. If that makes enough sense to be worth going down to a 970 for three or so months, then I'd say do it. If not, keep rocking the things.

Well I feeling like amd is going to go ham right off the bat as they need the bragging rights of the top spot even so nvidia dont just cash cow the gently caress out of this gen with incremental gpus only offering small performance increases over the next few years

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Michymech posted:

Well I feeling like amd is going to go ham right off the bat as they need the bragging rights of the top spot even so nvidia dont just cash cow the gently caress out of this gen with incremental gpus only offering small performance increases over the next few years

If amd could have brought something huge to the market to totally wreck nvidia they would have by now.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

If amd could have brought something huge to the market to totally wreck nvidia they would have by now.

Didn't amd bet big on 20mn and fall flat as it never got anywhere?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Fauxtool posted:

This is kind of assuming AMD doesn't have that up their sleeve and simply isn't ready to deploy it yet. It's not helped with Nvidia being so tight lipped either, but the next 90 days will be telling.

I hate to feel like Friedman and say "The next six months are critical [for AMD]", but I am optimistic. They feel confident about Polaris release, and about capturing OEMs for mobile products, Stoney Ridge looks awesome (suck it 4405U and Airmont) and I'm hoping AMD gets solid design wins. They've completely turned around the software side of things, CERN is interested in their poo poo which is huge. They're avoiding pointless hype about what they can deliver and only discuss what they've publicly demoed. They've secured fab work with Samsung.

The other option is buying bottles of Knob Creek with all my Zen+Polaris savings. Not quiet sure why I ranted there, not casting aspersions on your statement overall.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I like AMD's odds. They lost last time (and I tend to agree that they pretty much just tried to salvage their 20nm designs with Tonga and FIji and they were kind of a mess compared to Maxwell), but right now the shape of things is looking really strongly in their favor, and there's an increasing focus on the stuff they do right and are going to be working on with experience. Even just looking at recent games like The Division, Tomb Raider and so on, their cards are doing really well this year.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Michymech posted:

Didn't amd bet big on 20mn and fall flat as it never got anywhere?

Both AMD and nVidia were working towards 20nm designs. In fact, there was a kerfuffle where NVidia basically threw TSMC under the bus, and calling their 20nm process garbage. (I think the words used were 'essentially worthless'?)

However, I want to say that where the two have diverged is that Maxwell was specifically targeted at 28nm and trying to make the best 28nm part they could, AMD kept trying to salvage the 20nm GCN design by cutting bits of it off to fit 28nm.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

xthetenth posted:

All the rumours point to 1080Ti or a new Titan as paper launch in April for insane prices then nothing until June at least when GP104 should be ready. Even if they get GP100 out the door before June, stock is going to be hammered and 2x 980TI's sold now might just pay for a single 1080TI. I hope that's pessimism talking but it could be worse.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verizian posted:

All the rumours point to 1080Ti or a new Titan as paper launch in April for insane prices then nothing until June at least when GP104 should be ready. Even if they get GP100 out the door before June, stock is going to be hammered and 2x 980TI's sold now might just pay for a single 1080TI. I hope that's pessimism talking but it could be worse.

Its looking like i can flip both of then with water blocks for 925 each AUD which almost 2k for a 1080ti seems rediculus unless amds big hitter is a wet noodle again

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Either way, the end user wins. AMD cards come out? Reasonably priced SKUs! Nvidia cards come out? 980tis for firesale prices! :toot:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Michymech posted:

Its looking like i can flip both of then with water blocks for 925 each AUD which almost 2k for a 1080ti seems rediculus unless amds big hitter is a wet noodle again

It's possible though hopefully not likely. An air cooled 980TI over here is £500-£700 which is around $1000 AUD. Seen people suggesting the 32GB HBM2 Titan could hit £3000 and £1500/AUD$2870 for a 16GB HBM2 1080 TI / £950 for a 8GB HBM2 1070 TI at a much later date. That's assuming we get a GP100 product in April with nvidia rationing their HBM2 into big expensive lumps while AMD fails to compete. Basically worst case scenario for consumers. AMD releasing another re-badged dog turd by June at the latest would probably cut a big chunk off those prices even so.

I was optimistic last year hoping for a £500 1080TI and £500 Vive, now I'm adjusting my expectations in the hopes of a less painful gut check to the wallet.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verizian posted:

It's possible though hopefully not likely. An air cooled 980TI over here is £500-£700 which is around $1000 AUD. Seen people suggesting the 32GB HBM2 Titan could hit £3000 and £1500/AUD$2870 for a 16GB HBM2 1080 TI / £950 for a 8GB HBM2 1070 TI at a much later date. That's assuming we get a GP100 product in April with nvidia rationing their HBM2 into big expensive lumps while AMD fails to compete. Basically worst case scenario for consumers. AMD releasing another re-badged dog turd by June at the latest would probably cut a big chunk off those prices even so.

I was optimistic last year hoping for a £500 1080TI and £500 Vive, now I'm adjusting my expectations in the hopes of a less painful gut check to the wallet.

the $1200ish AUD price tag for the vive is something I can swallow given what you get with it, room scale VR, 2 1980x1200 screens that run at 90hz, 2 hand controllers that track 1:1 movement and the 2 stations to track all that magic

the idea of £1500/AUD$2870 for a 16GB HBM2 1080 TI however is a loving insane idea unless its offering at least a 50-70% performance increase over a 980ti, only the insainly retarded cashed up fools among us would cash in for anything less then that

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

No one's going to buy a £900 1070 lol.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

ijyt posted:

No one's going to buy a £900 1070 lol.

Going to be a lot of soft, paper launches incoming honestly if both companies want to be first to "release", instead of actually having appreciable stock. This is why my bet is on AMD delivering, at the very least we know they have two real pieces of hardware and the one openly demoed appears at the worst to be late stage engineering sample. With that demo at CES to June, 6 months time is more than enough to finalize and have volume.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Verizian posted:

I very strongly doubt that. Remember the scheduling of the original Titan. I very strongly doubt that they're going to have Titans out even for an inflated pricetag like that at least for a while. They can sell the things to compute customers for so much more. They're only going to start selling Titans to customers when they've got too much supply for the compute market, and then the Ti will happen when they have too much supply for Titans.

I'm expecting NV to be the first with a big chip, AMD to be the first to the rest of the market, and there to be a serious race to get the first big chip to the actual consumer market. Likely a Titan getting out first and then it being really interesting whether a Fury or a Ti gets released first.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

"Now, the moment you've all be waiting for at GTC! Pascal demo!"
*Unveils new Quadro line*
"Available in June!"

I can actually see why Nvidia is trying to push Pascal out fast, a lot of their professional and custom users are still stuck on freaking Kepler and are hungry for a good replacement. Woe to Nvidia if AMD were to provide that, so they honestly can't delay on on delivering to the compute market segment, and now AMD has a decent CUDA to OpenCL compiler.

That and the April/June release for Pascal is only rumor, while release dates for AMD are confirmed by the company.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

"Available in June!"

I can actually see why Nvidia is trying to push Pascal out fast, a lot of their professional and custom users are still stuck on freaking Kepler and are hungry for a good replacement. Woe to Nvidia if AMD were to provide that, so they honestly can't delay on on delivering to the compute market segment, and now AMD has a decent CUDA to OpenCL compiler.

That and the April/June release for Pascal is only rumor, while release dates for AMD are confirmed by the company.

I'm pretty sure that Cray's made a statement that their second half revenues are going to be tied to Pascal availability. So that very strongly counterindicates first half big Pascal (and consumer big Pascal in general).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I hope both companies knock it out of the park :shobon:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I hope AMD gets actual mobile SKU marketshare. They are in dire need of that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

"Available in June!"

Quadro line would actually be fine. I'm building a new mixed-use CAD/gaming rig this summer. It's just that right now, after the fake Pascal thing, I'm not certain they even have any Pascal ready to go. And I certainly don't believe that they've had Pascal since whenever the hell that rumor said.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Quadro line would actually be fine. I'm building a new mixed-use CAD/gaming rig this summer. It's just that right now, after the fake Pascal thing, I'm not certain they even have any Pascal ready to go. And I certainly don't believe that they've had Pascal since whenever the hell that rumor said.

That rumor was blatant sarcasm. Linking out NV wouldn't lie to us, would they? to an article about Fermi wood screws was only the most telegraphed bit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nvidia is selling so many 970's and 980tis right now they have little reason to do anything.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia is selling so many 970's and 980tis right now they have little reason to do anything.

I just got a 970 today oddly enough! I think DOOM coming out may sell quite a few.

So here's the basic question, about to put in the 970 replacing my 560ti, I guess I should remove all the drivers first? Even though it's just going from one Geforce to another?

Also it's an EVGA one, I see in the manual they recommend their own drivers. For my ol' MSI 560ti I was always using drivers from the Nvidia site. Any thoughts on that, does EVGA put out the latest driver later than NVIDIA or anything like that?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I hope both companies knock it out of the park :shobon:

I don't mind either company having good products, but I want AMD to knock it out of the park because they need to get back to a stable position with good products. I'm not cheering for Nvidia, Intel, et al, to suck, rather for AMD to win big.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Heavy Metal posted:

I just got a 970 today oddly enough! I think DOOM coming out may sell quite a few.

So here's the basic question, about to put in the 970 replacing my 560ti, I guess I should remove all the drivers first? Even though it's just going from one Geforce to another?

Also it's an EVGA one, I see in the manual they recommend their own drivers. For my ol' MSI 560ti I was always using drivers from the Nvidia site. Any thoughts on that, does EVGA put out the latest driver later than NVIDIA or anything like that?

Just get the latest driver from Nvidia, and yeah, you should uninstall your current driver.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Heavy Metal posted:

Don't use OEM drivers. Always use the official AMD/NVIDIA drivers.

If the OEM hosed with it enough that it won't run the vanilla drivers then you need to return it because there's no way some OEM is keeping on top of monthly driver packs. But that stuff is mostly in the past nowadays.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks. I had heard that EVGA's program for limiting FPS is good though, Precision X. Would you recommend avoiding that, or would it probably play nice with the official NVIDIA control panel thing?

Apparently for a couple games that might be useful, though not sure how that would be better than the usual vsync 60 fps limit games have in the options. I only use that if I'm noticing screen tearing anyway.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, thanks. I had heard that EVGA's program for limiting FPS is good though, Precision X. Would you recommend avoiding that, or would it probably play nice with the official NVIDIA control panel thing?

Apparently for a couple games that might be useful, though not sure how that would be better than the usual vsync 60 fps limit games have in the options. I only use that if I'm noticing screen tearing anyway.
I've never puttered around much with Precision X, mostly because NVidia Inspector is more powerful. Either of them should work just fine with the standard NVidia control panel, though.

Most people who use frame limiters have some specific reason for it. For me, my monitor will do 96Hz, but some games won't recognize that correctly, and give me the option of 60Hz or unlimited, and then the card is wasting effort (and heat and energy) trying to render 110+ FPS rather than just 96, which means louder fans, etc etc. Other people do it because they, similarly, don't want their card rendering a poo poo ton of useless frames, but also don't want the potential input lag introduced by VSync (or the potential to momentarily drop to 30FPS if the GPU drops to even 59FPS instead of 60).

It's certainly special-case scenarios, but it's nice to have the option, at least.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I use it on my 290 because it makes enough heat already and it's plenty of card to drive some games way too hard.

Now what I really want to have a frame limiter on is going to be interesting. I've got some very lightweight games on my Surface Pro, but they don't have vsync as an option so they get it hot and get its surprisingly loud fan going to cool it because it's wasting energy. Problem is the driver pack with it doesn't have the Intel control panel with the frame limiting functionality and I haven't had time for a Drivers Adventure™.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
On air I used it to keep my 980ti running a little cooler and quieter.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the info there folks.

Also, I made a topic about installing a GTX 970 on a Corsair modular power supply that's missing cables, check that out if you know about that stuff. Hope it's kosher to mention that, thanks again (edit: twas solved! Sort of, still having issues)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 7, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On the subject of the GTX 970, is it still the best price:performance investment for current-gen if all I wanna do is play at max settings @ 1080 with minimal overclock finagling?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

On the subject of the GTX 970, is it still the best price:performance investment for current-gen if all I wanna do is play at max settings @ 1080 with minimal overclock finagling?

Pretty much neck and neck with the R9 390, if you move up to 1440p the 390 wins out. The AMD card also seems more future proof with better DX12 support and more ram.

Personally I would rate the R9 390 a 8/8 and the GTX 970 a 3.5/4.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
A 390 is really close if you have a 600W+ PSU to run it, that 8GB is looking better every month.
Also the FreeSync vs Gsync thing.

^^yeah

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Also worth considering is the game bundle, both camps include mediocre AAA games so that is like a $30-40 rebate.

Asus even has their own bundle with that far cry reskin so that's like $60-80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

xthetenth posted:

I use it on my 290 because it makes enough heat already and it's plenty of card to drive some games way too hard.

Now what I really want to have a frame limiter on is going to be interesting. I've got some very lightweight games on my Surface Pro, but they don't have vsync as an option so they get it hot and get its surprisingly loud fan going to cool it because it's wasting energy. Problem is the driver pack with it doesn't have the Intel control panel with the frame limiting functionality and I haven't had time for a Drivers Adventure™.

Bandicam is a video recording program that has a frame limiter built into it. You can run the frame limiter without running the recording portion. I use it on my laptop.