Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Veskit posted:

Fine better question then is do you believe that we'll see anymore Ponyglyphs that aren't the road to Raftel ones?

Yes? I'm not sure how you could think otherwise if you've been reading One Piece all this time. It's tied to Robin's personal goal and the first mate of the Pirate Kings crew said she should do exactly that before knowing what the Rio Poneglyph says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Asuron posted:

Yes? I'm not sure how you could think otherwise if you've been reading One Piece all this time. It's tied to Robin's personal goal and the first mate of the Pirate Kings crew said she should do exactly that before knowing what the Rio Poneglyph says.

I think technically Rayleigh advised Robin to read the Rio Poneglyph for herself since Roger et al couldn't actually read the language itself and just interpreted it through "hearing" it, so her conclusion won't be colored by what they found out.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Asuron posted:

Now I get the feeling we'll find the other 3 and then find some more on Raftel itself but I have a strong feeling we won't be hearing from non raftel related ones for another decade.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alkanphel posted:

Or Oda will find a way to collide Big Mom and Kaido's storylines together.

I would be kinda surprised if this isn't the case

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Clover wasn't a Roger pirate (or at least hasn't been confirmed as one so far). All it took was a few scholars and a single Poneglyph for someone to crack the language, so it's not without the realm of possibility for others to learn how to do it again. There may also be a DF that lets people read any language.

Roger couldn't read them but didn't need to, he had a weird ability that poo poo just talked to him without any effort on his part. He could even understand Sea Kings (like Luffy, who probably shares the entirety of this ability)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kypdjk posted:

I am hoping that Jimbei returns and joins the strawhats bringing the fourth poneglyph as a gift! I think it is hilarious that nekomamushi says that "no one in their right minds would carry something like that around" because it immediately made me think of Jimbei during his cover story.

That's a good point - and if the Yonkou are capable of possessing a road poneglyph, it's only fitting that the future pirate king should have one at some point as well.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

You don't need 4 of them. Three is enough. Start at one of the islands, and sail to the other. If that fails to find the island, do it again from the second island to the third. If that also fails, go from the third to the first. If this island is a traditional landmass above the water, congratulations, you should have found it by now.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Lpzie posted:

You don't need 4 of them. Three is enough. Start at one of the islands, and sail to the other. If that fails to find the island, do it again from the second island to the third. If that also fails, go from the third to the first. If this island is a traditional landmass above the water, congratulations, you should have found it by now.

If that was possible someone would have found Raftel by now. And even if it is, Luffy won't want a boring adventure like that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Lpzie posted:

We have no idea how far away the points are. They could be scattered all across the 4 blues for all we know and it's only the point they intersect that shows the location of Raftel.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Lpzie posted:

That only works if they are close together. That almost certainly is not the case or Raftel would've been found by now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dordreff posted:

If that was possible someone would have found Raftel by now. And even if it is, Luffy won't want a boring adventure like that.

Nobody but robin is capable of reading them though

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jose posted:

Nobody but robin is capable of reading them though

Yes but if the islands are close together, it stands to reason that the intersection line between the four of them would've been found fairly easily.It makes more sense that the distance between islands is massive, because even on the Grand Line, it would be very possible to stumble across an island like that if the distance between the four is short.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Asuron posted:

Yes but if the islands are close together, it stands to reason that the intersection line between the four of them would've been found fairly easily.It makes more sense that the distance between islands is massive, because even on the Grand Line, it would be very possible to stumble across an island like that if the distance between the four is short.

This also assumes that anyone who finds these poneglyphs would know what their purpose is. For all most people know, they're just big stone blocks and nothing more. That's why no one can find Raftel regardless of your method of triangulation or whatever.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think the "the points are far apart" is likely, because then Nami's goal of charting the entire sea and her mapmaking powers will tie into this also. And besides, the Poneglyph is just text from what we've seen, it looks like Robin had to read it then Nami interpreted the info into a map, so unles syou can read the thing, you'd never be able to determine where it points to.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think technically Rayleigh advised Robin to read the Rio Poneglyph for herself since Roger et al couldn't actually read the language itself and just interpreted it through "hearing" it, so her conclusion won't be colored by what they found out.

I thought it was that they only read the Rio Poneglyph and maybe a couple of others, whereas the Rio poneglyph needs the knowledge of all the rest to put into context? Incidentally, the reveal that some pirates and Yonkou are collecting copies of poneglyphs, there's a chance Robin could use those copies to catch up on any she may have missed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also remember that the Grand Line and New World are unsailable waters and standard coordinates just plain dont work.
It's the point of those Log Pose things, as an answer to the question 'why dont they just sail there'.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Rogers' ability to hear inanimate objects was actually symptomatic of an inoperable brain tumor which he was dying from mixed with an unmatched bravado and confidence.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Shoren posted:

This also assumes that anyone who finds these poneglyphs would know what their purpose is. For all most people know, they're just big stone blocks and nothing more. That's why no one can find Raftel regardless of your method of triangulation or whatever.

I was thinking more along the lines that people could stumble across the island without reading the poneglyphs and not know what they found if the distance between the four islands is short.

It'd be something like how Burgess found Baltigo, eventually someone would make it there through circumstances like being shipwrecked on the shore or being thrown off course by weather if there were inhabitable islands people knew about within short distance even if they didn't have a Log Pose.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 5, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Asuron posted:

I was thinking more along the lines that people could stumble across the island without reading the poneglyphs and not know what they found if the distance between the four islands is short.

You're right, my reply had nothing to do with your post! Still, remote islands have a way of being found despite the lack of technology or knowledge of it. Look at Easter Island, that's in the middle of nowhere, not even between known landmasses. There must be something special about it that requires the poneglyphs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I thought it was that they only read the Rio Poneglyph and maybe a couple of others, whereas the Rio poneglyph needs the knowledge of all the rest to put into context? Incidentally, the reveal that some pirates and Yonkou are collecting copies of poneglyphs, there's a chance Robin could use those copies to catch up on any she may have missed.

Roger was dying and Rayleigh said they couldn't do anything with the knowledge they gained. Since they also didn't read all the other stones and know as much as Robin does, their knowledge was incomplete. So Rayleigh is both leaving the decision of whether to do something and what to do to them. Being able to hear the stones probably doesn't give you the same level of information as being able to read them(no telling when Oden joined up), and Robin is the only person who has been on a decades long mission to read them all.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Even Oden might not have been able to read them well or at all, if his family had been engraving them as images rather than as a language. The message from Roger would imply otherwise, but it's not clear how knowledgeable Wano actually is about the Poneglyphs other than having carved them (presumably at someone's request?)

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

kypdjk posted:

I am hoping that Jimbei returns and joins the strawhats bringing the fourth poneglyph as a gift! I think it is hilarious that nekomamushi says that "no one in their right minds would carry something like that around" because it immediately made me think of Jimbei during his cover story.

Only problem is that Jimbe's Poneglyph isn't the right color to be a Road Poneglyph.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Gyges posted:

Roger was dying and Rayleigh said they couldn't do anything with the knowledge they gained. Since they also didn't read all the other stones and know as much as Robin does, their knowledge was incomplete. So Rayleigh is both leaving the decision of whether to do something and what to do to them. Being able to hear the stones probably doesn't give you the same level of information as being able to read them(no telling when Oden joined up), and Robin is the only person who has been on a decades long mission to read them all.

Did he say that? I watched the dub for Saodoby recently and I remember it being more like he knew everything and would tell Robin if she asked

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Did he say that? I watched the dub for Saodoby recently and I remember it being more like he knew everything and would tell Robin if she asked

He tells her to draw her own conclusion after reading the Rio Poneglyph, which implies that the information isn't ironclad/complete. Like if at Raftel you learn that the world government gained their power by killing 4 metric tons of the cutest kittens and puppies in the world, an event that is repeated once a year, there's no other conclusion to draw other than kill those sons of bitches.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lpzie posted:

That's a pretty Ussop way of thinking, friend. Luffy's gonna catch 'em all!

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That's a pretty Ussop way of thinking, friend. Luffy's gonna catch 'em all!

That is definitely not the face of someone willing to use Trigonometry to solve his treasure hunting problems.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Oda's face when Shonenjump editors warn him he needs to wrap up One Piece because health concerns

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Crazyeyes posted:

Rogers' ability to hear inanimate objects was actually symptomatic of an inoperable brain tumor which he was dying from mixed with an unmatched bravado and confidence.

Are you the guy who came up with all those super depressing realistic ends for all the characters.

Like Franky dying while trying to turn himself into a cyborg via tetanus and massive infection

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
So can we assume from the cover arc page that Sabo and the revolutionaries are okay despite Blackbeard's attack?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Blackbeard hasn't attacked yet. There hasn't been enough time since Burgess got to the island and called Shiliew for them to have gotten there.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Invictus posted:

Are you the guy who came up with all those super depressing realistic ends for all the characters.

Like Franky dying while trying to turn himself into a cyborg via tetanus and massive infection

Whether he is or not I need to see these

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was like 5 threads ago unfortunately. It was preeetty brutal.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What if you've got to lock in all four of the stones at the four islands to open the entrace of Raftel up :v:

Do people really think Oda didn't think of why you would absolutely need 4? Do you think he doesn't know how triangles work?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

What if you've got to lock in all four of the stones at the four islands to open the entrace of Raftel up :v:

Do people really think Oda didn't think of why you would absolutely need 4? Do you think he doesn't know how triangles work?

He doesn't know how electricity works, so why should we assume he knows how triangles work?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

RealFoxy posted:

Hmmmm yes this seems like a thing that will happen after rad anime Garfield said that carrying the stones with you would be loving stupid

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

for all we know, the stones could point the way towards islands you need to visit and record with the log post before it points to raftel

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerraS posted:

Hmmmm yes this seems like a thing that will happen after rad anime Garfield said that carrying the stones with you would be loving stupid

This, but unironically.

C'mon, it's Luffy. He gonna steal them poneglyphs.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Is the point on the Zhou phono glyph it's own coordinate because Zhou is kind of mobile

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is the point on the Zhou phono glyph it's own coordinate because Zhou is kind of mobile

I never got the idea that any of the Road Poneglyphs point to where they are, otherwise if you knew what they were you wouldn't even need to translate them.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

This, but unironically.

C'mon, it's Luffy. He gonna steal them poneglyphs.
agreed, jimbei is currently carrying one around with him

garfield saying you can't carry them is totally a chekov's gun or w/e, it's essentially setting yet another rule or expectation for luffy to smash thru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the reason Kaido took over Wano is to find someone who can read his Road Poneglyph, and that whole arc is going to partially revolve around stealing the Poneglyph.